• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question s9+ vs s21 ultra, normal images + pro

Search This thread

pixellegolas

Aug 31, 2013
So, got my phone yesterday and wanted to test the camera out. The s21 ultra will cost me around 60USD per month so I want to be blown away when moving up from s9+. But, so far I have experienced a "meh" situation where of course, the image on the screen is good, the scrolling is fantastic with 120Hz and the stereo speakers are awesome. But the image quality when just firing up the camera app and not doing any setting is just "meh". I am not impressed so far. I took some photos in the house today. Mostly with normal settings auto but the one with the deers are with pro mode and the same settings. I checked all settings and alla iso(plus rest) parameters. Am I missing something? Or why am I not impressed going from s9+ to s21 ultra?

I have not tested 4k/60fps video yet but I am already thinking of returning the phone and waiting for a good second hand version. Uploading some pictures. Let me know if I should test in another way

Forgot to add that the left pictures are always s21 ultra

Attachments

• out.png
    out.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 227
  • heart.png
    heart.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 216
  • pro_mode.png
    pro_mode.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 185
  • santa.png
    santa.png
    4 MB · Views: 225

pixellegolas

Aug 31, 2013
Started checking the tube for some comparison and I mean videos, the look really good. I think just perhaps shooting neutral and color correct will do a nice job

pixellegolas

Aug 31, 2013
I am just wondering if it's me, the phone or something else that makes me feel that s9+ to 21 ultra is not a big leap. I am planning to use my gimbal with my phone to capture some nice b-roll movies but what I can see so far not much has happened to the images. I am afraid to use the new s21 to much as I am thinking of returning it but I really want it to be a good buy, but already after 1 day I am thinking of a return. Perhaps I was expecting VHS to bluray difference but cameras are already so good that it's hard to make giant leaps.

Randi03

Oct 30, 2021
It's not a big leap in terms of camera. Personally I regret not returning it in time. Now I am stuck with it and the main problem for me is the weight. I bought it thinking I was going to use this for years but now I can't stand the thought of holding this brick for so long. Also, the photos are not a huge step forward. There are instances where I see more details but also more noise. I find them to be noisy and videos blotchy in low light. I mean, the truth is, it's not worth the money. Also, pay attention to the photos you are taking with it, because the S21 Ultra has the HDR processing on, no matter if you turn it off or not. So, if you see any difference between your S9+ and S21, it's actually the HDR. The biggest problem of them all is the fact that I cannot find a good alternative to it. All of the other flagships are basically the same thing, most of them don't even have the 10x optical zoom. Cameras just cannot be better than they are now as long as they have tiny sensors. So if you do return it, you might want to hold off upgrading for some time.

Reactions: pixellegolas

pixellegolas

Aug 31, 2013
It's not a big leap in terms of camera. Personally I regret not returning it in time. Now I am stuck with it and the main problem for me is the weight. I bought it thinking I was going to use this for years but now I can't stand the thought of holding this brick for so long. Also, the photos are not a huge step forward. There are instances where I see more details but also more noise. I find them to be noisy and videos blotchy in low light. I mean, the truth is, it's not worth the money. Also, pay attention to the photos you are taking with it, because the S21 Ultra has the HDR processing on, no matter if you turn it off or not. So, if you see any difference between your S9+ and S21, it's actually the HDR. The biggest problem of them all is the fact that I cannot find a good alternative to it. All of the other flagships are basically the same thing, most of them don't even have the 10x optical zoom. Cameras just cannot be better than they are now as long as they have tiny sensors. So if you do return it, you might want to hold off upgrading for some time.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was afraid of. I want to create some nice b-roll movies and I have a good gimbal for my phone. It feels like with a stable camera and normal daylight, there will be no difference. It's only if I want to do alot of lowlight or wide angle shots. It's just not worth the 60USD/month when I have an ok phone. I will wait for the s22 and see if it has some new power. According to the new qualcom the nextgen chip will wonders....but that is what every generation of phone says also, but when it comes to daily use I have not seen big leaps.

Tomorrow I will return the phone and sorry for all you s21u lovers, this one wasn't for me.

Thanks again @Randi03 for giving an open and honest view of the phone from a daily user

Reactions: Randi03

Randi03

Oct 30, 2021
Glad to be of help. I also hope the next generations will bring something new and worth upgrading to... For me personally I will do my best to test them before buying and ignore all the hype from the manufacturers and the reviews.

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
A number of users have stated the S9 is Galaxy's best camera. I'm pretty sure you're not operating the S21 camera at optimal settings. Everyone knows the Exynos SoC lags behind the Snapdragon for camera quality but those photos are awful. Somethings not right but I doubt it's just the camera or chipset on your device.

Last edited:
Reactions: decodertje

clairelara

Oct 22, 2021
A number of users have stated the S9 is Galaxy's best camera. I'm pretty sure you're not operating the S21 camera at optimal settings. Everyone knows the Exynos SoC lags behind the Snapdragon for camera quality but those photos are awful. Somethings not right but I doubt it's just the camera or chipset on your device.

The snapdragon version is better than the Exynos because it gives good performance in all aspects. The camera quality is best compared to the Exynos version.

pixellegolas

Aug 31, 2013

I did not set the camera to optimal settings. I wanted to try the s21ultra "out of the box". I tested some pictures on auto mode and when I switched to pro mode I made sure to at least use the same settings. Then of course we can discuss if the settings where optimal but this was not the point. 2 phones with same settings where one is a couple of generations behind should not have almost same quality pictures. And I cannot show you side-by-side the displays in preview mode but in some places I saw better preview of the image in the camera app on the s9+.

There is no doubt that the s21ultra is better, it is, but it's not 60USD/month better with my current phone

Well, I wanted to be wow-ed and really looke forward to the s21 ultra but yesterday I returned it. Waiting for the next generation but will really really check comparison videos before I decide anything

Makonator

Apr 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I did not set the camera to optimal settings. I wanted to try the s21ultra "out of the box". I tested some pictures on auto mode and when I switched to pro mode I made sure to at least use the same settings. Then of course we can discuss if the settings where optimal but this was not the point. 2 phones with same settings where one is a couple of generations behind should not have almost same quality pictures. And I cannot show you side-by-side the displays in preview mode but in some places I saw better preview of the image in the camera app on the s9+.

There is no doubt that the s21ultra is better, it is, but it's not 60USD/month better with my current phone

Well, I wanted to be wow-ed and really looke forward to the s21 ultra but yesterday I returned it. Waiting for the next generation but will really really check comparison videos before I decide anything
This is what I'm afraid of. I'm currently on note 10+, love it but I want better camera, by that I mean better crop ability. Gcam makes things better but I still hope those mpx do the diffrence in crop ability

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Return the Phone.
    I u are not happy with it.
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was afraid of. I want to create some nice b-roll movies and I have a good gimbal for my phone. It feels like with a stable camera and normal daylight, there will be no difference. It's only if I want to do alot of lowlight or wide angle shots. It's just not worth the 60USD/month when I have an ok phone. I will wait for the s22 and see if it has some new power. According to the new qualcom the nextgen chip will wonders....but that is what every generation of phone says also, but when it comes to daily use I have not seen big leaps.

Tomorrow I will return the phone and sorry for all you s21u lovers, this one wasn't for me.

Thanks again @Randi03 for giving an open and honest view of the phone from a daily user