S9+ Won't turn on

Search This thread

litlmike

Dec 11, 2015
I rebooted my S9+ and now it won't turn on. I tried pressing and holding the power button and down volume key as well and nothing works. I tried charging the phone and nothing works. I tried replacing the battery and nothing works. Do you have any suggestions? Device is factory and not rooted.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    It did not indicate it was charging. I think it is possible that it is a power switch failure. Is there a way to test that?
    If it's not indicating a charge, and the battery has enough of a charge to boot... it's DOA.
    Sounds like a mobo failure. Sorry.
    Check for a displaced ribbon cable connection and evidence of a fried component(s).
    Not sure if a charge port pcb failure could cause this or not.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    If it is a mobo failure, is there a way to get the data from the internal storage still? Is the internal hard drive on the mobo?
    My thoughts, maybe correct or not...
    There's probably a way to directly access the internal memory at a test point on the mobo but that's getting into some intense data recovery.
    If the circuit is damaged in such a way that the test point isn't functional* (if it exists) then the chipset would need to be desoldered and put in a test rig or another mobo to access it... if the chipset itself wasn't fried (and didn't get damaged or corrupted in the process).
    That's a lot of if's... and probably not something you want to pay an expert to >try< and do.
    You can contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

If you can connect to a PC via ADB or find/repair the damage that's about your only shot.
    Much easier to always backup your critical data redundantly beforehand... lightning strikes fast and unpredictably.

*or repair the damaged mobo or whatever failed

litlmike

Dec 11, 2015
    My thoughts, maybe correct or not...
    There's probably a way to directly access the internal memory at a test point on the mobo but that's getting into some intense data recovery.
    If the circuit is damaged in such a way that the test point isn't functional* (if it exists) then the chipset would need to be desoldered and put in a test rig or another mobo to access it... if the chipset itself wasn't fried (and didn't get damaged or corrupted in the process).
    That's a lot of if's... and probably not something you want to pay an expert to >try< and do.
    You can contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

If you can connect to a PC via ADB or find/repair the damage that's about your only shot.
    Much easier to always backup your critical data redundantly beforehand... lightning strikes fast and unpredictably.

*or repair the damaged mobo or whatever failed
    If I wanted to pay for someone to revive this device or even just grab the data from it, where could I take the device? Does a regular repair shop do this kind of work?

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    If I wanted to pay for someone to revive this device or even just grab the data from it, where could I take the device? Does a regular repair shop do this kind of work?
    The best you can find. The data is probably toast unless it's an easy fix otherwise you have no easy way to access the memory.
    Try what I stated before... it will be a journey.

The reason I backup my data, redundantly, is because I have lost entire databases. Consider it a lesson from the University of Hard Knocks if you can't recover it.

MichalPlays

Nov 5, 2015
    Hey, I found a solution for this problem.
    I had same problem with my s9+ but it sometimes turned on but stayed at 0% battery charge for hours.

I used an wireless charger from Anker, put my s9+ there and waited for a hour.
    After an hour, the phone automatically booted with 5% battery charge.
    Maybe this will work for you too. Grab one of those Anker stands from Amazon if you have prime subscription, use it to charge the phone and then after restoring your data, just return the charger and I would recommend to replace the battery. You know, the s9+ is quite old by now and since it's an non-removable battery, it's better to do it now than experience the same story again.

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone