[S905x] Help with Mi Box (Android TV MDZ-16-AB) Bootloader Unlock And Root

Search This thread

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Some devices had "temporary root" ( not sure on nougat, but you can try something similar )

instead of init.d, If you have an ARM adb client, you can use Tasker or something similar to root after boot using "adb connect localhost:5555" and root your way trough that after boot is complete.. (setenforce 0, run your policy script, etc)

example apps:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgutman.androidremotedebugger&hl=en
and
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ADBPlugin

dont think itll work.. the box isnt connected to the betwork and no apps are running yet before it crashes so wouldnt be able to connect i dont think

rooting after it boots will have the same effect.. whenever u reboot will need to use adb to setenforce or load policy again

bzz11g

Oct 17, 2010
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 6
I wonder if the beta will update seamlessly to the final or of drm is going to be broken forever.

I think Xiaomi removes the box from the production, they removed it from the shelves in the US store mi.com,
bestbuy - out of stock,
I saw messages on the reddit that people can not find it in the local Wallmart, they sell the warehouse online

I think Xiaomi not release update to Nougat, after the departure of Hugo Barra from the company, they lost interest in the international market and forgot about our box

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville
I think Xiaomi removes the box from the production, they removed it from the shelves in the US store mi.com,
bestbuy - out of stock,
I saw messages on the reddit that people can not find it in the local Wallmart, they sell the warehouse online

I think Xiaomi not release update to Nougat, after the departure of Hugo Barra from the company, they lost interest in the international market and forgot about our box
Well that's a bummer. Guess I need to find the best way to downgrade to M then.

bzz11g

Oct 17, 2010
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 6

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    230 KB · Views: 459

jrk190

Sep 4, 2012
McLeansville

Dave Deluria

Jul 17, 2015
Sorry, was using sdcard instead of Sdcard, still didn't work.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

I got it to work, so I set it back up and updated, should I still have drm?

You can see if your DRM is intact by installing Netflix and then going to Settings > About.

You should have a Netflix ESN. For Google Widevine, you need to download an app called DRM Info and find out if your Widevine is intact.

cboy17

May 24, 2018
magisk for remote play

Hi just need to ask if I can instal magisk on mibox3? I want to use my mibox3 on ps4 remoteplay

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found the link for google's servers: android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/xiaomi_once_once/87cf61497f0f6c6ed49ff22bc9b8bd3d3167b9e5.zip
    and latest Android 6.0 r750 in case you want to revert: android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/xiaomi_once_once/4798e23749378f1bc5a7a072b2d9351a980abbfb.zip
    Happy Easter everyone!
    I was able to get this rooted, but haven't been able to unlock the bootloader.
    1. Download MiBOX3S_USA_once_r454.zip from 4PDA.ru unrar it and put it on a USB stick.
    2. Turn on adb from the developer options, connect, and "adb reboot recovery"
    3. Unplug the USB cable and plug in the USB stick. Choose "Install from EXT">"From UDISK", and flash the update.
    4. Reboot it and plug the USB cable back in. Re-enable usb debugging (if your settings were cleared) then disable dm-verity by typing "adb root" then "adb disable-verity" and then "adb reboot"
    5. Once it reboots, you are now free to modify the system partition as you see fit by typing "adb root" then "adb remount". you are effectively 'rooted' at this point.

I went further and manually installed SuperSU to enjoy some rooted app goodness, but to be honest, it was a pain.

One thing I noticed is that the most recent OTA wipes your changes, so you may want to disable updates until I can come up with a more elegant solution:

Code:
    adb root
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateActivity
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdatePanoActivity
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
    adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gsf/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver

** edit **
    I have a bootloader unlock authorization for this device from xiaomi, but I can't seem to get it into either bootloader mode or EDL mode. Any help on this front would be appreciated.
    supersu script

The attached script will install supersu after following my previous guide.

12/19/2016 -- updated script --

The script represents the steps I manually took to install supersu, and should work, but is itself untested. You can open up the .bat file with notepad to see what's going on.

Unzip the attached file on your desktop or somewhere, then double click InstallScript.bat

IMPORTANT (As I've stated previously): Due to an issue with SElinux, make sure USB Debugging is ALWAYS ON prior to rebooting the box, otherwise you'll need to reinstall the firmware.

If you hang after a reboot, do this:
    1. in your connected computer, in a shell, type "adb root"
    2. type "adb shell setenforce 0"
    This can only be done if usb debugging is set to ON prior to the reboot, otherwise you'll need to reinstall the firmware.
    USA MDZ-16-AB updated supersu script

I believe I've corrected to bootloop issue and submit an updated script.
    this isn't related to root but here's the beta nougat update for those interested
    mega nz/#!xaZgBCrY!l65tcGGt9izhZ2k1HCtka6w3H5-3qXSmq_sBcZn6uy8