SaberMod Franco.Kernel | AOSP & (CM testing) | r204 | 1 Apr 14 | Sched-dl | Linux 3.4.84 | GCC 4.8.3 -O3

Alpha features to include in r198

• stratosk brightness driver

Votes: 49 49.0%
  • faux slab slub slob fixes + slab defaut

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • latest prima drivers

Votes: 62 62.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Any chance you could provide us a r210 kernel? Really appreciate your work!

Sorry for the late reply, Franco didn't really added anything from r209f. (looks like either I've updated my commits to be synced with him or he didn't pushed his stuff yet)

Also is there any features do you guys want or you find that the kernel is enough as it is? :) (No new governors/io scheds..)

Last edited:
Reactions: deedeeceleb

illanxr

Jan 31, 2012
Sorry for the late reply, Franco didn't really added anything from r209f. (looks like either I've updated my commits to be synced with him or he didn't pushed his stuff yet)

Also is there any features do you guys want or you find that the kernel is enough as it is? :) (No new governors/io scheds..)

I personally belive that Matrix v14.0 frequencies work better for both battery life and performance (192, 288, 540, 702, 1026, 1188, 1350 and 1512 MHz). I have been comparing these two kernels and it seems to have less battery drain with no performance nor smoothness cost (at least in my fast binned chip). For everything else, this kernel is amazing :)

I personally belive that Matrix v14.0 frequencies work better for both battery life and performance (192, 288, 540, 702, 1026, 1188, 1350 and 1512 MHz). I have been comparing these two kernels and it seems to have less battery drain with no performance nor smoothness cost (at least in my fast binned chip). For everything else, this kernel is amazing :)
I haven't the same experience, that kernel is the best battery-wise, by far !

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Adding touch to wake as helldoctor if possible ? Thanks a lot for your amazing work !

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal

The frequencies looks fine so far for my standpoint but I can consider it if it does indeed increase the battery life of your device. :)

I haven't the same experience, that kernel is the best battery-wise, by far !

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Adding touch to wake as helldoctor if possible ? Thanks a lot for your amazing work !

I already have the dt2w from McKael, no need for further touch wake inputs. :p

Reactions: illanxr
The frequencies looks fine so far for my standpoint but I can consider it if it does indeed increase the battery life of your device. :)

I already have the dt2w from McKael, no need for further touch wake inputs. :p
Touch to wake is very different, it stays ON only few seconds after screen goes off by timer, then it's disabled, so no battery drain after the few seconds. It's an entire different philosophy ! Even the iPhones have it ^^

But that's fine as it is, that kernel is the best one !

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Touch to wake is very different, it stays ON only few seconds after screen goes off by timer, then it's disabled, so no battery drain after the few seconds. It's an entire different philosophy ! Even the iPhones have it ^^

But that's fine as it is, that kernel is the best one !
True to this. I would consider it if you didn't said that the iPhone had it. NO APPLE ALLOWED HERE!!

Jokes aside, I can check for it but as I said earlier, I doubt I will implement another touch input method.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
True to this. I would consider it if you didn't said that the iPhone had it. NO APPLE ALLOWED HERE!!

Jokes aside, I can check for it but as I said earlier, I doubt I will implement another touch input method.

^^ that's OK !

Mmh.. Maybe adding USB OTG ? Hellsdoctor just did it, that's a useful I'll to have !

Anyway, you're very kind, thanks a lot !

jkyoho

Aug 4, 2011
toronto
adding adjust brightness level tweak plz. backlight minimum20 still tooo bright for me...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
^^ that's OK !

Mmh.. Maybe adding USB OTG ? Hellsdoctor just did it, that's a useful I'll to have !

Anyway, you're very kind, thanks a lot !
Ya this would be easy to implement, though I remember that the nexus 4 needs an external power source in order to do OTG. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

For the frequencies I'm less sure because I want to keep it as Franco-esque as possible though if it can save some battery I'll check it. :)

Reactions: Maibol
Ya this would be easy to implement, though I remember that the nexus 4 needs an external power source in order to do OTG. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

For the frequencies I'm less sure because I want to keep it as Franco-esque as possible though if it can save some battery I'll check it. :)

Indeed it needs external power, but with a y cable and an external battery it's still a useful option !

That's cool ! I will donate to you next month on payday ! ;)

Please don't integrate the files that mods framework apk in the ROM, it causes errors with ART, just commit as barome did in HD22 !

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Indeed it needs external power, but with a y cable and an external battery it's still a useful option !

That's cool ! I will donate to you next month on payday ! ;)

Please don't integrate the files that mods framework apk in the ROM, it causes errors with ART, just commit as barome did in HD22 !

Alright, I'll add it then. Also don't worry about the framework mods, I only want this to be a kernel first and foremost. :p

Reactions: WiwiPouPou

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Said I would get it today, here it is! :p

r210:

- Upstream code from franco.Kernel (thermal code rebasing and the logic for interactive changed)
- Linux 3.4.101
- Added USB-OTG support
- Compiled using my own newer SM 4.9.2 GCC
- Removed sched_deadline (Was conflicting with some newer stuff included in newer linux versions and I haven't found a difference so far hmm)

Download:

AOSP: http://d-h.st/xkn
CM: http://d-h.st/5sp

I changed up the naming of my branches so it won't affect those who wanted to see the deadline_sched changes. They are now sm-4.4 and sm-4.4-CM:

https://github.com/zaclimon/mako-linaro/tree/sm-4.4
https://github.com/zaclimon/mako-linaro/tree/sm-4.4-cm

Also I was thinking perhaps on making a new thread in order to not clutter this one anymore. Plus I could take on xcstacy's work and add my personal features. What do you guys think of it?

Enjoy!! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SaberMod Franco.Kernel | AOSP & (CM testing) | r204 | 1 Apr 14 | Sched-dl | Linux 3.4.84 | GCC 4.8.3 -O3

Introduction
    As you may already know, LaboDJ is no longer supporting n4 linaro franco. Therefore, I have decided to continue his work but this time with SaberMod toolchain by @sparksco.

Starting from r204, I will only release 1 build for every franco versions. I don't have time to make 3 different builds anymore.

Features:
    - Franco r204 with LaboDJ's Linaro fixes and tweaks
    - ofast instead of -o3
    - Add faux sound support, and faux sound fixes, YES YOU CAN USE FAUX APP!
    - Sched-deadline from mainline (jlelli) , taken from Harkness kernel
    There is a full explanation of sched-deadline on Harkness thread.
    - Sched improvement commits
    - Codel net scheduler
    - Prima v3.2.7.47
    - F2FS support
    - Added frandom driver Linux mainline random driver
    - a lot more optimization!

Downloads: AOSP | CM (testing, use it at your own risk), credits to @xtrymind for the CM zip file.

Source: Github

What is sched deadline?
    Originally by @Synthetic.Nightmare
    Not to be confused with the iosched deadline, Sched_deadline is a scheduling class that implements a real-time CPU scheduling algorithm; EDF (Earliest Deadline First), augmented with a bandwidth isolation mechanism (called Constant Bandwidth Server, CBS) that makes it possible to isolate the behaviour of tasks between each other. SCHED_DEADLINE allows the CPU to reserve a portion of the CPU time to a specific application very accurately. A key feature is that it ensures "temporal isolation", which means that the temporal behavior of each task (i.e., its ability to meet its deadlines) is not affected by the behavior of any other task in the system. In other words, even if a task misbehaves, it is not able to exploit larger execution times than the amount it has been allocated. When a task tries to execute more than its budget, it is slowed down, by stopping it until the time instant of its next deadline. When, at that time, it is made runnable again, its budget is refilled and a new deadline is computed.

Credits to

@franciscofranco
    @LaboDJ
    @sparksco
    @faux123
    @ak
    jlelli
    @Synthetic.Nightmare
    @mrg666
    and many other devs listed in my git commits.

XDA:DevDB Information
    SaberMod franco.Kernel, a Kernel for the Google Nexus 4

Contributors
    xcstacy
    Kernel Special Features: Built with SaberMod toolchain GCC 4.8.3, -O3 enabled

Version Information

Created 2013-11-30
    Last Updated 2014-03-31
    Hey guys, as promised here's franco sabermod r200!!

Changelog
    Stock:
    Updated to franco r200
    Edit: I forgot to include latest fauxsound in stock :p Will do that in the next build, sorry!!
    Download: Link

Test:
    Updated to franco r200
    Linux 3.4.75
    Latest fauxsound patches
    Qseecom patches from caf
    mm patches from labodj hammerhead git
    Random patches from 3.13-rc4 (Thanks mirage)
    Disabled frandom (latest random backport should eliminate all entropy issues)
    Misc topology tweaks from Synthetic.Nightmare git
    Download: Link

Apologies for the delay everyone. Happy new year! :)

PS: Still trying to figure out the prima issue. May upload a new test with the latest prima ;p
    Said I would get it today, here it is! :p

r210:

- Upstream code from franco.Kernel (thermal code rebasing and the logic for interactive changed)
    - Linux 3.4.101
    - Added USB-OTG support
    - Compiled using my own newer SM 4.9.2 GCC
    - Removed sched_deadline (Was conflicting with some newer stuff included in newer linux versions and I haven't found a difference so far hmm)

Download:

AOSP: http://d-h.st/xkn
    CM: http://d-h.st/5sp

I changed up the naming of my branches so it won't affect those who wanted to see the deadline_sched changes. They are now sm-4.4 and sm-4.4-CM:

https://github.com/zaclimon/mako-linaro/tree/sm-4.4
    https://github.com/zaclimon/mako-linaro/tree/sm-4.4-cm

Also I was thinking perhaps on making a new thread in order to not clutter this one anymore. Plus I could take on xcstacy's work and add my personal features. What do you guys think of it?

Enjoy!! :)
    Alright guys, here's r204.

AOSP | CM

I started all over again from scratch and implemented most of the previous patches. New notable patches include:
    - Prima 3.2.7.47 from CAF
    - F2FS support
    - Latest sched-dl from Linux mainline

Enjoy! :)

Edit: Oh yes, one more thing. Please remember to flash ak_uninstaller_mako.zip made by @ak before flashing another kernel or else your wifi will not work.
    Here's an update! :good:

Changelog:
    Stock
    - franco r201
    - updated fauxsound to v3.2
    - upstream to Linux 3.4.75
    - neon-vfpv4 instead of neon
    LINK: http://d-h.st/VGn

Test
    - franco r201
    - prima driver v3.2.3.196
    - futex patches from labodj hammerhead git
    - fastcharge driver from faux
    - neon-vfpv4 instead of neon
    LINK: http://d-h.st/8oh

Guys, I will have to stop building the kernel for awhile due to my forthcoming exams. Will resume building after 19/1/2014. Till then, reply here or drop me PM if you encounter any issues with r201. :D