Safely Removing G1 in ubuntu...

Search This thread

bmfc187

Feb 2, 2009
Austin, TX
Hi, i searched and couldnt find anything... I just installed ubuntu and have been dual-booting with windows Vista for several weeks now. My question is im a windows (redheaded step)child and im not too familiar with linux' inner workings yet...so i have not been doing anything to "safely remove" my G1 when in ubuntu, cuz i thought that such an option doesnt exist...problem is now i think ive corrupted all my data on my SDcard and i was just hoping that someone could tell me how to do this correctly in ubuntu? Do i hafta mount it, and THEN unmount it before i should unplug it? I dont even know if this is the problem, but ive been watching my logcat and it gives me some Dbus error when i plug in USB and it doesnt come up on the phone with option to mount SDcard, and windows doesnt recognize my device anymore. Pretty sure i corrupted my SD, im pretty sure i can fix it without help, if someone could just tell me the proper procedure for removing devices from ubuntu? thanks in advance...

-BMFC

ccyrowski

May 20, 2009
Lansing, MI
I dual boot ubuntu on my mac OSX, which emulator are you using (fusion VM, virtualbox etc...?)

(1) When you've properly mounted your SD card it should show up on your ubuntu Desktop. Just go to Places > Desktop and you should be able to eject the SD card (two if you are partitioning them and AppstoSD) by pressing the "eject" button. The SD card should show up in the left window pane.

(2) Also, you probably have corrupted your SD card and are going to have to reformat it, losing all of your data.

(3) Somewhere in your emulator there should be a USB button to see which devices are plugged into your host computer, and which ever one you select your emulator will read.

(4) Finally, you don't provide enough information for a real answer...

(a) What ubuntu are you running?
(b) Do you have appstosd?
(c) have you done a nandroid backup?
(d) Which emulator/virtual environment are you running?

Hope this helps.

indiekid97

Feb 28, 2009
Cocoa Beach, Florida
In Nautilus (the file manager) there will be a little orange eject symbol next to the drive. Clicking it will unmount the drive, which you should ALWAYS do before pulling any kind of removable media out of the socket. Unmounting is the *nix equivalent of "ejecting" in Windows.

If you're running a command line setup, the command to unmount is
Code:
sudo umount /media/(insert mount name here)

Hope that helps!

Purge13

Feb 22, 2009
I too dual boot and noticed they i wouldn't get the "usb connected" on the G1. After some tweaking a few options; i noticed I would get the USB connected IF my usb debugging was ON. [settings- applications- developement- usb debugging]. I have to check for Ubuntu and uncheck for windows. I hope that helps

bmfc187

Feb 2, 2009
Austin, TX
you see the problem is that ive never actually mounted my G1 in ubuntu, i just plugged it in to charge...so i never had to unmount it and theres no "safely remove" function, that i could find, so i figured that linux was just secure enough that it didnt require safely removing devices....oops...in answer to your questions, first im not running any VM...im ACTUALLY dual-booting. i have windows vista and ubuntu Jaunty running side-by-side, on a compaq presario f700. I DO have USB debugging ENABLED, and right now im running JF1.42rc33 still, im prolly gonna be wiping and upgrading to SOMETHING today, i was kinda just holding off cuz i like my theme, but my phones f-in up so nows as good a time as any to start fresh. I dont use a2sd, just my caches for market, browser, and maps are on sd. Ive been having trouble on my g/f's hp Pavilion pc running windows vista...we both have g1's and HERS is stock, unrooted, and she just got the OTA a couple days ago, since then the computer has been hating on MY phone, it says the drivers screwed and it wount bring up the option on my phone to mount the sdcard. hers still works fine, and mine still works fine hooked up to my laptop, just not hers...so i dunno if THATS a cupcake issue or if its cuz i didnt remove it from ubuntu right...im gonna format my sd AND wipe my phone, and ill get back to you guys moentarily, thanks for all your replies.

-BMFC

bmfc187

Feb 2, 2009
Austin, TX
ok well then somebody help me out with this: i have tried for two days to get my sdcard to format, and IT JUST WONT. I cant get it to even be recognized by my girlfriends computer, but her G1 running UNrooted TMOCupcake still works fine, kinda makes me wonder if hers didnt get some kinda updated driver packed with it? The cupcake, i mean, not the phone...i dunno. Anyways my phone WONT mount in ubuntu at all, it shows up but when i try to mount it it says "No media on Volume" and wont open it at all. so in windows it ACTS like its doin everything i want it to do...i tried to format my sd yesterday and i sat here and watched it the whole time, and when it finshed it said: "Format Completed SUCCESSFULLY." so i SAFELY REMOVED IT, unplugged and plugged back the usb, and when it came up EVERYTHING WAS STILL THERE!!!! my problem seems to be my sdcard/doom folder...it tells me that the folder \doom is ENTIRELY UNREADABLE.

ahem...on a side note, all these things happened at once...(same day)
1. My g/f got the OTA cupcake update...

2. I updated some apps from the market, the one that im suspecting right now is called "Cards(-)" by Coderminus. After i updated it, i went to play Doom, and instead of playing like usual, when i hit the "Play" button, it just exitted to home. So i checked my logcat and the Cards(-) app caused ALL KINDS of runtime errors, and so i uninstalled this app.

3. My market starts crashing all of a sudden. I cleared the cache and it SEEMED to fix it...for now.

4. Uninstalled Doom (ver. 1.29.666) and then went and deleted my doom folder.(I thought) Reinstalled newest version of Doom (ver. 1.31.666)

5. Tried to redownload the WADs to play, and i could get it to play, as long as i didnt try to download the sound files. Everytime i tried to get the sounds, it would act fine, but then when id go to play the game itd just exit to home again....

6. Repeated step 5. like 6 times....

This was all like 2 days ago? 3 days ago? and ive been messing with it ever since, and my PHONE is fine, but my SDCARD appears to be, for lack of a better term, ****ED. i cant even format it, ive tride 3 times, it just all comes right back when i plug it back in...i even tried to put an update.zip in my sdcard and update from JF1.42RC33 to (I was gonna try Dude's 1.2b) so i put that in there, and removed it and when i went into my file manager on the g1, the update wasnt there! i cannot seem to be able to make ANY changes to my sd...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

-BMFC

ubernicholi

May 6, 2009
arvada,co
madzorg.blogspot.com
Try ti format your card from within your phone. Unfortunately that's the only issue I can help you with.

Edit: try doing a system wipe on your girlfriends phone from the recovery menu. It should solve the crashes. You will wave to reinstall all your apps tho.

Last edited:

bmfc187

Feb 2, 2009
Austin, TX
Try ti format your card from within your phone. Unfortunately that's the only issue I can help you with.

Edit: try doing a system wipe on your girlfriends phone from the recovery menu. It should solve the crashes. You will wave to reinstall all your apps tho.

I...didnt even know that was possible...im not seein any options to do that...you know some terminal commands for that or somethin? Cus when i got into my file manager (i use aFile, cuz it has wireless transfer) i cant even delete anything from there, ANY folder i try to delete it just says "Failed to delete (folder name)"...so if you know how to do that then hook me up and ill try it...

-BMFC

EDIT: i think you misunderstood, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG with my girlfriends phone...its just that she got the US OTA and it happened at the same time as all this other, so i thought maybe it might have had some effect on how mine interfaces with her comp...honestly i doubt it, but until someone tells me im wrong im not ruling it out...

Last edited:

bmfc187

Feb 2, 2009
Austin, TX
No dice, seems you may be on a diff. ROM than me, i dont have that option, i unmount the card, and thats all that happens, it unmounts it...no format option...

-BMFC

bmfc187

Feb 2, 2009
Austin, TX
Sdcard IMPOSSIBLE TO FORMAT....need ADVANCED help!!!

hi i posted a thread here for help, and i did so cuz i need help from someone INTELLIGENT. The mods have now moved my post to the "General section" of the dream forum, where i cant get **** for help. The reason i didnt just post in that section, where it goes, is CUZ NO ONE CAN OR WILL HELP ME OVER THERE....i need a devs help or somethin...THATS why i posted in the dev section...cus its pointless to try to get support from end users...i might as well just sit in the bedroom with NO COMPUTER asking MYSELF what the answer is...so first off id like to thank the AWESOME mods here for burying my post head-high in a section that i cant get any support in, EVER. THEN, id like to ask some dev(s) or SOMEBODY, SOMEBODY INTELLIGENT, please go to

this thread

and read, and im BEGGING you for help!!! To whoever helps me figure this out i would gladly donate to WHATEVER cause you have!!!! Honestly, if you ONLY read MY posts, you wont miss anything important, except some guy with the SAME SKILL LEVEL AS ME telling me to wipe SOMEBODY ELSES PHONE and see if that works...****.
SOMEONE PLEASE try to help me out before the AWESOME mods here at xda move this post, too. Im not sorry im posting in the wrong secrtion cuz this is where the help is and thats REALLY what i need right now. So MODS, you can move my posts all day long, ill just make a new one linking to the old one till i get some support...suspend me...BAN me, i dont care, ill just keep coming back with new usernames and accounts until i get some help, cuz THATS WHAT THE F*CK SUPPORT FORUMS ARE FOR. Im really pissed at whatever mod moved my post, cuz the SECOND i posted that thread initially, i got like 4 or 5 replies, thats why i LOVE this forum, cuz it has GREAT SUPPORT, when you can actually get your question seen by a dev, that is. but as soon as my post got moved i got several replies from one DUMBASS that was TRYING to help, and ill give him that he was just tryin to help, but i have a problem with my phone, and this guy tells me i should WIPE MY GIRLFRIENDS PHONE. WOW. Just wow. Someone please go read my problem and post there, or post here, with some answers....MODS PLEASE DONT MOVE THIS THREAD I AM TRYING TO GET SOME HELP!!!!

-BMFC

Buster3616

Apr 22, 2007
Tampa
lol ok first off take it easy on the mods here, i'm speaking of your other post, they try to keep these forums clean and it isnt an easy job all things considered.

the way i see it you have 2 options.
1. Throw your card in a digital camera and use the camera to format it. I works most the time when a computer wont, several times my pc wouldn't recognize/format a card but my ****ty digital camera had no problem.

2. if that doesn't work, splurge the $8.99(or less) it costs to get a new sd.
I've even seen 8gig class 6 cards for around $20 and 4gig class 4 cards for $10.

edit: wow just a min too late