Safest OTA update method in '21?

Search This thread

Bxperiaz3

May 19, 2015
Hi guys. I know there has been a million topics about this and I've read most of them but does anyone know which route is currently the safest for an ota update? I have a 7pro rooted with Twrp and magisk. I'm on 10.0.5 and looking to update to 10.0.10.

Should I use trwp recovery and flash everything from there or can I flash locally and then use magisk along with the a/b retention script? I messed up rooting the phone originally and lost some data and now I have a mental block around which method is safest to do without losing my data or bootlooping. I want to make sure both slots update correctly and I'm unsure of the correct method.

Any help would be appreciated before I give it a go, thank you.

Bxperiaz3

May 19, 2015
I'm also wondering if I've edited the build prop in any way with the build prop editor, will this cause a boot loop or will a full ota zip return it to normal anyway?

Thanks

nabril15

Nov 9, 2012
Miami, FL
Hi guys. I know there has been a million topics about this and I've read most of them but does anyone know which route is currently the safest for an ota update? I have a 7pro rooted with Twrp and magisk. I'm on 10.0.5 and looking to update to 10.0.10.

Should I use trwp recovery and flash everything from there or can I flash locally and then use magisk along with the a/b retention script? I messed up rooting the phone originally and lost some data and now I have a mental block around which method is safest to do without losing my data or bootlooping. I want to make sure both slots update correctly and I'm unsure of the correct method.

Any help would be appreciated before I give it a go, thank you.

the typical and safe route to take an OTA and keep your root is:
download OTA using oxygen downloader app
Use the sytem update app to install the file above using the local upgrade option. DO NOT REBOOT.
Use magisk to install the twrp a/b keeper script. DO NOT REBOOT.
Use magisk to install magisk to the inactive slot. Then reboot.

I have the gm1913 phone which is a different variant, but I'm sure that the concept is the same.
Good luck.

Bxperiaz3

May 19, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Did something similar to this
What I ended up doing incase anyone else needs to know..

Disable all magisk modules and reboot
Flash full update from local storage
Don't reboot
Go to magisk and flash twrp zip
Don't reboot
Flash magisk zip to separate slot (ota option)
Now phone reboots its self
Re enable modules in Magisk
Reboot
Profit