• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Safestrap Flashable HDX Stock Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
Hi

I'm running V13.3.05 on my Kindle HDX 7.
I got a downgrade to that version after calling Amazon.

Is there a safestrap version available or do I need to update my device?
On the first page of this thread this version is missing.

Thanks for help, Stef.
With 3.0.5 you should use TWRP, update the bootloader to 3.2.3.2 via TWRP, and unlock the bootloader to open the wonderland of HDX ROMs. ;)

Reactions: Stetanchi

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
Reactions: Stetanchi

slothdabski

Aug 3, 2015
Chicago
Hi

I'm running V13.3.05 on my Kindle HDX 7.
I got a downgrade to that version after calling Amazon.

Is there a safestrap version available or do I need to update my device?
On the first page of this thread this version is missing.

Thanks for help, Stef.

What version OS were you previously on? And what reason did you give to amazon for them to give you the downgrade?

Just asking these questions because I would love to be able to have an UL bootloader instead of safestrap

B3NJY

Feb 18, 2012
Bishy Auckland
Hi just updated my apollo to safestrap 4 and used the newer nexus 4 rom which is amazing, but now I want to do my thor but it looks like I dont have a stock rom to restore to, so dont know how to get back to 3.2.8 to 5.4.2 then new safestrap and nexus 4 rom !
I cant install the 13.3.2.6 can I ? the 3.2.8 is for apollo and 5.4.2 is sstap 4 so I am at a stand still....
So still on old 3.75 sstrap and nexus 1 rom.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi just updated my apollo to safestrap 4 and used the newer nexus 4 rom which is amazing, but now I want to do my thor but it looks like I dont have a stock rom to restore to, so dont know how to get back to 3.2.8 to 5.4.2 then new safestrap and nexus 4 rom !
I cant install the 13.3.2.6 can I ? the 3.2.8 is for apollo and 5.4.2 is sstap 4 so I am at a stand still....
So still on old 3.75 sstrap and nexus 1 rom.

Do you know what version of FireOS your Thor was on before installing Safestrap v3.75?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I was wondering about that too.
Saw the original post awhile back. I am not confident this happened exactly as described as there are no prior examples of Amazon rolling a device back to a version prior to 3.2.8. Perhaps the device was already on 3.2.6 (or lower) before being pushed back to 3.0.x. Or the rollback occurred much earlier ... prior to the release of FireOS v4.

Reactions: AnyAndroidOSWins

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Can these be flashed in twrp with an unlocked bootloader by chance
I lean toward 'yes' if you ONLY want the system partition. Otherwise use these. To be safe wait for responses from @ggow and @EncryptedCurse (for stock 4.5.5) before proceeding. Also make note of which images have OTA enabled so you don't get unwanted update...or no update at all.

Reactions: donharden2002

donharden2002

Nov 25, 2010
Pittsburgh
I lean toward 'yes' if you ONLY want the system partition. Otherwise use these. To be safe wait for responses from @ggow and @EncryptedCurse (for stock 4.5.5) before proceeding. Also make note of which images have OTA enabled so you don't get unwanted update...or no update at all.
Thank you kind sir.
You're a very helpful upstanding member.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
any idea when/if we will get safestrap for saturn aka 4th gen hdx 8.9. it can be rooted now, so i'm assuming safestrap should work
Safestrap v4 will not work on a 4th gen device. Different than the 3rd gen situation where it is not test/certified to work under FireOS 4.5.5.1 be seems to function fine. The recovery portion will not install on a 4th gen device; don't recall if you can get out of it or are left with a brick.

Dev will have to respond to future availability question. Suspect a decision is contingent on what can be done under FireOS v5 which 4th gen devices should eventually get.

thecrunked

May 8, 2013
Safestrap v4 will not work on a 4th gen device. Different than the 3rd gen situation where it is not test/certified to work under FireOS 4.5.5.1 be seems to function fine. The recovery portion will not install on a 4th gen device; don't recall if you can get out of it or are left with a brick.

Dev will have to respond to future availability question. Suspect a decision is contingent on what can be done under FireOS v5 which 4th gen devices should eventually get.
Thanks for the info. I am running 4.5.2 on the tablet right now, an I better off leaving it at that version or updating to whatever the current os is

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for the info. I am running 4.5.2 on the tablet right now, an I better off leaving it at that version or updating to whatever the current os is
IMO: 4th gen devices should update to 4.5.5.1 which is likely a prerequisite for further OTA progression to FireOS v5. 3rd gen devices should stay on 4.5.2 if planning to use Safestrap v4 or update to 4.5.5.1 if currently on 4.5.3 or above.

Last edited:

cwzkevin

Jan 4, 2008
Baltimore
Hi, all.
Have a question about how to install the newer os and safestrap v4.

My HDX 7(thor) was running 13.3.2.1_user_321093620 (build Feb 6, 2014), and it has safestrap v.3.75 on it. When I got it from amazon, I followed this thread 3.a) to root and safestrap. After safestrap, I flashed Thor Gapps Rom (13.3.2.4) from this thread.

Now that with much newer roms and safestrap v4 out there, I flashed the rom ggow 13.3.2.6.zip 13.3.2.6_user_326001820 (build Sep 8, 2014) and followed the OP,
If you want to re-enable over the air updates then do the following:
- rename /system/etc/security/otacert.old to otacert.zip
- rename /system/app/com.amazon.dcp.old to com.amazon.dcp.apk
Thinking that, re-enable OTA would get me update to new ROM, and then I can root and Safestrap v4. However, OTA never come.

Is there other way to install new ROM and upgrade from safestrap v3.75 to v4? Thanks!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi, all.
Have a question about how to install the newer os and safestrap v4.

My HDX 7(thor) was running 13.3.2.1_user_321093620 (build Feb 6, 2014), and it has safestrap v.3.75 on it. When I got it from amazon, I followed this thread 3.a) to root and safestrap. After safestrap, I flashed Thor Gapps Rom (13.3.2.4) from this thread.

Now that with much newer roms and safestrap v4 out there, I flashed the rom ggow 13.3.2.6.zip 13.3.2.6_user_326001820 (build Sep 8, 2014) and followed the OP,
Thinking that, re-enable OTA would get me update to new ROM, and then I can root and Safestrap v4. However, OTA never come.

Is there other way to install new ROM and upgrade from safestrap v3.75 to v4? Thanks!
As you have not progressed beyond 13.3.2.6 the device can still be unlocked which opens the door to a wider array of ROMs including Lollipop & Marshmallow builds. Otherwise you are limited to KitKat builds (CM11 and Nexus). Unlocking takes some work, patience, a host PC and a bit of technical skill. If you'd rather not go through the effort then you can still update to FireOS v4, Safestrap v4 and use one if the above ROMs.

Doesn't answer your specific question but wanted to make sure you were aware of the choices. Once FireOS is upgraded past 13.3.2.6 there is no looking back.

Reactions: cwzkevin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

INCORRECT USE OF THESE FILES WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE
    PLEASE ENSURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG

Here you can find stock firmware for both thor and apollo devices which are safestrap flashable.

Please note the following:
    - These updates do NOT flash a new kernel or recovery - only a new /system image
    - Before flashing ensure you know which stock base/kernel/safestrap you have installed and choose the appropriate version for that stock base/kernel.
    - Do NOT use these images to downgrade or upgrade your base firmware.

I will be uploading them as and when I have time.

Thor Images:
    - 13.3.1.0 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.2
    - 13.3.2.6 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.5

*** THESE ONES DO NOT HAVE ROOT OR BLOCK UPDATES ***
    - 13.4.5.2 <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

Apollo Images:
    - 14.3.1.0 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.2
    - 14.3.2.6 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.5

*** THESE ONES DO NOT HAVE ROOT OR BLOCK UPDATES ***

- 14.3.2.8 <- Flashable on Safestrap v3.7.5
    - 14.4.5.2 <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

- Skip this if you are using the 4.5.2 files - As stated above this does not apply so be careful.
    @jimyv
    @Davey126

I have updated the OP with a Safestrap Flashable 14.3.2.8
    ggow, i flashed ss_update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004120.zip and it seems it has the /system/etc/security/otacert.zip.orig file. Do you think this is intentional ?

When updating, its 100% then it says update failed and restarts again the download process.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Ok, definitely this was the issue.

Rooted, renamed to .zip, unrooted. Let it OTA and now successfully updated to 4.5.5.

Sent from my Nexus HDX 7 using XDA Free mobile app
    Can you make a 13.3.2.1 Stock Image? Just incase if i loose my TWRP backup(s) I can restore.
    Seriously? You expect someone here to create and post a stock image to just cover your behind?

There are tons of links to 13.3.x.x images (<13.3.2.4) in the forums. If you trash your system you can start with one of those and roll up. Better idea is to copy your backups to another media and store them somewhere safe. Cloud is a better idea.
    Hey @ggow, would it be possible for you to release a rooted 14.3.2.6?

Hi _Alex_,
    Sorry about the long wait, I have posted a zip for 14.3.2.6. See OP.