• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Safestrap Flashable HDX Stock Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

cwzkevin

Jan 4, 2008
Baltimore
Thank you for the quick reply! I am very open to any ROM/options. I don't mind unlock (I think you mean bootloader, right? So, after rooting and safestrap, we still didn't unlock the bootloader?).

I want a ROM that
1) works both on Google and Amazon, (The 13.3.2.4 gapps rom can't do anything about amazon)
2) long battery time (a day of normal use, I don't think I will really use it 8 hours day, but it is good to have) (The 13.3.2.4 gapps rom can't stand by to the end of 8 hours day)
3) LTE should works (I have t-mobile 200mb/month free data)

Thanks, again!

As you have not progressed beyond 13.3.2.6 the device can still be unlocked which opens the door to a wider array of ROMs including Lollipop & Marshmallow builds. Otherwise you are limited to KitKat builds (CM11 and Nexus). Unlocking takes some work, patience, a host PC and a bit of technical skill. If you'd rather not go through the effort then you can still update to FireOS v4, Safestrap v4 and use one if the above ROMs.

Doesn't answer your specific question but wanted to make sure you were aware of the choices. Once FireOS is upgraded past 13.3.2.6 there is no looking back.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thank you for the quick reply! I am very open to any ROM/options. I don't mind unlock (I think you mean bootloader, right? So, after rooting and safestrap, we still didn't unlock the bootloader?).

I want a ROM that
1) works both on Google and Amazon, (The 13.3.2.4 gapps rom can't do anything about amazon)
2) long battery time (a day of normal use, I don't think I will really use it 8 hours day, but it is good to have) (The 13.3.2.4 gapps rom can't stand by to the end of 8 hours day)
3) LTE should works (I have t-mobile 200mb/month free data)

Thanks, again!
The only way to get near complete interoperability between Amazon and Google on a 3rd gen HDX is to install a custom ROM. GAaps does not play nice with FireOS v3 or v4; v5 is only available for 4th gen and above. To my knowledge FireOS and the HDX build of CM11 are the only ROMs that play nice with the finiky mobile/LTE radio built into these devices. It is rare to find a 7" model equipped with a mobile radio so it's possible you may run into difficulties with CM11 that were not identified in previous testing. CM11 is nearing sunset so I'm not sure a fix would be investigated/implemented if LTE problems are found. Something to think about moving forward.

Any of the ROMs (including FireOS) are capable of operating efficiently when properly configured. Battery life is more a function of apps and settings (especially screen brightness). Also consider the age of your device. Lithium-ion batteries have a 2-3 year 'shelf life' regardless of use after which internal chemistry breakdowns begin to have a significant impact on longevity. Given the age of the device you are starting to fall into the decay window.

High level steps if unlocking bootloader:
- remove Safestrap v3
- reenable OTA on 13.3.2.6. This may be tricky as your initial attempt apparently did not work
- rollback FireOS to 13.3.1.0. This is perhaps the riskiest step as a brick is possible if instructions are not carefully followed
- install a custom recovery (TWRP)
- update bootloader to a more stable version (13.3.2.3)
- unlock bootloader. This can be a very frustrating exercise for those with little technical background (drivers, etc).
- flash rom of your choosing (Nexus v4, CM11, CM12 (discontinued), CM13 [beta], or SlimLP [beta])
- GAaps and root are installed/enabled concurrent with ROM flash

High level steps if upgrading FireOS to support Safestrap v4:
- remove Safestrap v3
- reenable OTA on 13.3.2.6. This may be tricky as your initial attempt apparently did not work
- upgrade to FireOS 4.5.2 which will then update to 4.5.5.1 when connected to network
- root FireOS 4.5.5.1 with Kingroot
- install/configure Safestrap v4 (simple)
- Flash as Safestrap v4 compatible ROM (Nexus v4 or CM11)

Although the number of steps appear similar the second route is easier and typically can be completed in a couple hours. In contrast the first path may take many hours or days to reach the finish line depending on your skill level and problems encountered along the way.

Also keep in mind that once FireOS v4 goes in there is no turning back. The bootloader will remain permanently locked and you will be limited to KitKat based ROMs. This is not a bad path. Although my primary device is fully unlocked I continue to use Nexus v4. It's lean, stable and feature complete. However, an increasing subset of Android apps require Lollipop and above. Something to think about.

cwzkevin

Jan 4, 2008
Baltimore
Thank you very much for the detail instructions! I think I will follow the 2nd path since it will be (much) less time! (The last 1.5 years, I was forced to use iPhone instead of Android phone from my wife b/c she think I spend too much time on unlocking/rooting/playing with the Android devices :( )

Maybe it is the safestrap v3.75 on the Thor or the original rooting steps that prevent it to OTA to current FireOS? We will see as the first step is to uninstall the safestrap...

Thank you again! Will find time to work on the 2nd path!

The only way to get near complete interoperability between Amazon and Google on a 3rd gen HDX is to install a custom ROM. GAaps does not play nice with FireOS v3 or v4; v5 is only available for 4th gen and above. To my knowledge FireOS and the HDX build of CM11 are the only ROMs that play nice with the finiky mobile/LTE radio built into these devices. It is rare to find a 7" model equipped with a mobile radio so it's possible you may run into difficulties with CM11 that were not identified in previous testing. CM11 is nearing sunset so I'm not sure a fix would be investigated/implemented if LTE problems are found. Something to think about moving forward.

Any of the ROMs (including FireOS) are capable of operating efficiently when properly configured. Battery life is more a function of apps and settings (especially screen brightness). Also consider the age of your device. Lithium-ion batteries have a 2-3 year 'shelf life' regardless of use after which internal chemistry breakdowns begin to have a significant impact on longevity. Given the age of the device you are starting to fall into the decay window.

High level steps if unlocking bootloader:
- remove Safestrap v3
- rollback FireOS to 13.3.1.0. This is perhaps the riskiest step as a brick is possible if instructions are not carefully followed
- install a custom recovery (TWRP)
- update bootloader to a more stable version (13.3.2.3)
- unlock bootloader. This can be a very frustrating exercise for those with little technical background (drivers, etc).
- flash rom of your choosing (Nexus v4, CM11, CM12 (discontinued), CM13 [beta], or SlimLP [beta])

High level steps if upgrading FireOS to support Safestrap v4:
- remove Safestrap v3
- upgrade to FireOS 4.5.2 which will then update to 4.5.5.1 when connected to network
- root FireOS 4.5.5.1 with Kingroot
- install/configure Safestrap v4 (simple)
- Flash as Safestrap v4 compatible ROM (Nexus v4 or CM11)

Although the number of steps appear similar the second route is easier and typically can be completed in a couple hours. In contrast the first path may take many hours or days to reach the finish line depending on your skill level and problems encountered along the way.

Also keep in mind that once FireOS v4 goes in there is no turning back. The bootloader will remain permanently locked and you will be limited to KitKat based ROMs. This is not a bad path. Although my primary device is fully unlocked I continue to use Nexus v4. It's lean, stable and feature complete. However, an increasing subset of Android apps require Lollipop and above. Something to think about.

cwzkevin

Jan 4, 2008
Baltimore
Here is my steps:

1. boot to safestrap and active "stock rom slot", restore my very original backup (13.3.2.1) to it.
2. reboot to system, rename OTA apk back to original
3. this time OTA comes
got 13.3.2.5_user_325001120
reboot, got FireOS 4.1.1 (411010320)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.2 (452004220)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.3 (453011120)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.5 (455001820)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.5.1 (455002120)
4. Next, I tried multi-times (about 7 to 8) KingRoot, running on the Thor or running from PC, without getting root. I will keep trying another time. (Any suggestion?)

Thanks,

Thank you very much for the detail instructions! I think I will follow the 2nd path since it will be (much) less time! (The last 1.5 years, I was forced to use iPhone instead of Android phone from my wife b/c she think I spend too much time on unlocking/rooting/playing with the Android devices :( )

Maybe it is the safestrap v3.75 on the Thor or the original rooting steps that prevent it to OTA to current FireOS? We will see as the first step is to uninstall the safestrap...

Thank you again! Will find time to work on the 2nd path!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Here is my steps:

1. boot to safestrap and active "stock rom slot", restore my very original backup (13.3.2.1) to it.
2. reboot to system, rename OTA apk back to original
3. this time OTA comes
got 13.3.2.5_user_325001120
reboot, got FireOS 4.1.1 (411010320)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.2 (452004220)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.3 (453011120)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.5 (455001820)
reboot, got FireOS 4.5.5.1 (455002120)

4. Next, I tried multi-times (about 7 to 8) KingRoot, running on the Thor or running from PC, without getting root. I will keep trying another time. (Any suggestion?)
Great progress! KingRoot can be finicky at times as it needs to communicate with 'back end' servers that may not always be responsive. You may find rooting happens quickly on future attempts. Only immediate suggestion is to reboot your device before trying again.

cwzkevin

Jan 4, 2008
Baltimore
Well, the 2nd random time to try KingRoot this noon made the device rooted.
I now have Safestrap 4.01 installed, backing up this 4.5.5.1. Will go with one of the ROMs out there. Thank you very much, Davey and OP!

Update: I picked rom-fire-nexus-rom-ktu84q-t3322931, it is very good!

Update2: Here is more information.
a) the Fire Nexus is good, but the sim card network doesn't work. I tried flash it to either slot 1 or stock slot, (after wiping everything). Sim card network just didn't work no matter what I tried.
b) I then went after CM-11, and flashed the opengapps nano. Got the AOSP keyboard crashed. Tried multi times, different ways. If I don't flash the open gapps then it is working good.
c) search the CM-11 thread about keyborad crashed, one thread said he had to flash the old gapps from the HDX Nexus v4.0.5 thread. I did that and now I have a working CM-11, working everything! Thanks.

It could be better if the Fire HDX can make the sim card network works.

=Davey126;66778109]Great progress! KingRoot can be finicky at times as it needs to communicate with 'back end' servers that may not always be responsive. You may find rooting happens quickly on future attempts. Only immediate suggestion is to reboot your device before trying again.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

alberto1414

Mar 25, 2010
ggow, i flashed ss_update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004120.zip and it seems it has the /system/etc/security/otacert.zip.orig file. Do you think this is intentional ?

When updating, its 100% then it says update failed and restarts again the download process.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Ok, definitely this was the issue.

Rooted, renamed to .zip, unrooted. Let it OTA and now successfully updated to 4.5.5.

Sent from my Nexus HDX 7 using XDA Free mobile app

I'm here @ ss_update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004120.zip and I can't rename the files (I think is because I'm not rooted). how did you root 4.5.2? I'm using a 3rd gen thor with locked bootloader.

Edit:

I have done this before, I couldn't remember how.. haha

for anyone looking to root fire os 4.5.2 just get the cve.apk here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/trying-to-cve-2014-7911-to-t3024489/page6

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I'm here @ ss_update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004120.zip and I can't rename the files (I think is because I'm not rooted). how did you root 4.5.2? I'm using a 3rd gen thor with locked bootloader.

Edit:

I have done this before, I couldn't remember how.. haha

for anyone looking to root fire os 4.5.2 just get the cve.apk here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/trying-to-cve-2014-7911-to-t3024489/page6
That's actually not the preferred method:
- update to FireOS 4.5.5.1 via OTA to secure latest binaries (kernel)
- root with Kingroot

Failing to update to FireOS 4.5.5.1 will likely yield issues with the latest Safestrap v4 compatible ROMs including Fire Nexus HDX (successor to Nexus v4).

Davengerr

Dec 23, 2014
i had a hdx 7" at 4.5.2 with HDX nexus installed on it,i want to update it to 4.5.5.1 , so i flashed back the ss_update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004120.zip on it to update it but i am getting the issue of the orientations being reversed,and having to click on where the buttons would be on the correct orientation for it to register,i've tried reflashing and software reset through safestrap however i am meeting the same problem, any help would be appreciated
edit:looks like i accidentaly used the apollo update on it,everything works normally now after flashing the correct one

Last edited:

DJ-Singh

Aug 24, 2016
HDX 7" seems BRICKED !!!

I have HDX 7" and was on OS 4.5.5 (Nov'15 update).
Have Safestrap-Thor-4.0.1-B03 installed.
Installed CM11 on ROM-1 which worked perfectly.
To my foolishness, I flashed thor-bootloader-13.3.2.3.2_upgrade on STOCK ROM and got my device to fail booting. I actually wanted to install CM13 which I was not able to do so through SafeStrap 4.0.

Now, I am unable to switch my device "ON" and have blank screen. Even the device drivers fail to load and Win-10 64-bit fails to recognize the device through USB. I somehow installed adb and fastboot drivers but am not able to get to adb shell as it says "no devices/emulators found".

Kindly share your expertise and help me in getting my device UP and running again.

Thanks in advance.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have HDX 7" and was on OS 4.5.5 (Nov'15 update).
Have Safestrap-Thor-4.0.1-B03 installed.
Installed CM11 on ROM-1 which worked perfectly.
To my foolishness, I flashed thor-bootloader-13.3.2.3.2_upgrade on STOCK ROM and got my device to fail booting. I actually wanted to install CM13 which I was not able to do so through SafeStrap 4.0.

Now, I am unable to switch my device "ON" and have blank screen. Even the device drivers fail to load and Win-10 64-bit fails to recognize the device through USB. I somehow installed adb and fastboot drivers but am not able to get to adb shell as it says "no devices/emulators found".

Kindly share your expertise and help me in getting my device UP and running again.

Thanks in advance.
Device is permanently bricked; recovery is not possible.

Flashing CM11 to "ROM-1" and attempting to downgrade/unlock the bootloader (impossible in your config) were poor choices. 10 min of reading/research could have prevented the brick. Better to ask first.

Last edited:

DJ-Singh

Aug 24, 2016
Device is permanently bricked; recovery is not possible.

Flashing CM11 to "ROM-1" and attempting to downgrade/unlock the bootloader (impossible in your config) were poor choices. 10 min of reasing/research could have prevented the brick. Better to ask first.

Thanks dear for the prompt response. Really appreciate it !!!

On the optimistic side, there must be some or the other way to get the device UP.
On executing "fastboot reboot" it says... "Waiting for any device".

By the way I took backup on my HDX device on STOCK ROM before installing wrong bootloader.

HELP please....

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks dear for the prompt response. Really appreciate it !!!

On the optimistic side, there must be some or the other way to get the device UP.
On executing "fastboot reboot" it says... "Waiting for any device".

By the way I took backup on my HDX device on STOCK ROM before installing wrong bootloader.

HELP please....
Previous response is accurate; impossible recover a 3rd/4th gen HDX with a locked 4.5.x bootloader (short of replacing mainboards) as Amazon crippled the fastboot environment and does not offer a mechanism to restore the system partition from stock recovery menu. Backups are useless without a way to transfer/install. HDX's are not your typical android device; common recovery tools/techniques, including 'factory cables', simply don't work. Sorry for your loss.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
How to enable OTA on 4.5.2 stock images

Some contributors have found they can not update to the latest version of FireOS after restoring a 4.5.2 image from the first post of this thread. Please refer to this post to get around the issue.

Kudos to @DBCAB for publicizing the fix and @mzk1 for 'rediscovering' the post some 9 months later after a frustrating experience trying to update FireOS 4.5.2 to 4.5.5.1.

For completeness the DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk must also be properly named as it is in the images posted in the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: mzk1

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I tried to download the 13.4.5.2 Thor image as a backup however android file host says that access is denied. I even tried accessing the page with other devices and used a vpn but still no luck. The message shows up on the links to the other images too.
Yep, impacting all SS images and custom ROMs too. Appears to be an issue with @ggow's account. I'm sure he (or Android File Host) will get it sorted in a day or two.

skoop99

Jan 25, 2006
London
Question; I've just flashed the Thor: - 13.4.5.2. Now... It boots fine, but keeps looping through the initial setup? Language & Region? Set them, straight back to the start?

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Previous response is accurate; impossible recover a 3rd/4th gen HDX with a locked 4.5.x bootloader (short of replacing mainboards) as Amazon crippled the fastboot environment and does not offer a mechanism to restore the system partition from stock recovery menu. Backups are useless without a way to transfer/install. HDX's are not your typical android device; common recovery tools/techniques, including 'factory cables', simply don't work. Sorry for your loss.

If you can still boot to Recovery (TWRP), I have been able to successfully connect using ADB, used ADB push to drop a flashable ROM zip on the device & flash that through Recovery.

I have SafeStrap 4.0.1 on my KFHDX 7 (Thor)...

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Question; I've just flashed the Thor: - 13.4.5.2. Now... It boots fine, but keeps looping through the initial setup? Language & Region? Set them, straight back to the start?

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

If you can still boot to Recovery (TWRP), I have been able to successfully connect using ADB, used ADB push to drop a flashable ROM zip on the device & flash that through Recovery.

I have SafeStrap 4.0.1 on my KFHDX 7 (Thor)...
Yes - this is an excellent 'find' by @skoop99 that breathes hope into locked 3rd gen devices that can still boot into Safestrap v4 recovery (sometimes mistaken for native TWRP) but do not have a functioning ROM or flashable Safestrap compatible rom zip on board. That last bit is important: the rom zip must be marked 'Safestrap compatible'. At present that only encompasses a few ROMs but once working the device can be used 'as-is' or unlocked opening the door to the full suite of HDX compatible ROMs. Kudos to @skoop99 for his persistence in finding a solution to this crippling problem.

Of course, if native TWRP is available there are no restrictions; simply push and flash the HDX compatible rom of your choice. Most native TWRP builds for HDX also support MTP further simplifying the file transfer process (drag and drop).

[caveat: without delving into details it is possible to have native TWRP installed on a locked HDX; those in that situation likely know who they are. Unlocking the bootloader is still required to flash most ROMs.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

INCORRECT USE OF THESE FILES WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE
    PLEASE ENSURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG

Here you can find stock firmware for both thor and apollo devices which are safestrap flashable.

Please note the following:
    - These updates do NOT flash a new kernel or recovery - only a new /system image
    - Before flashing ensure you know which stock base/kernel/safestrap you have installed and choose the appropriate version for that stock base/kernel.
    - Do NOT use these images to downgrade or upgrade your base firmware.

I will be uploading them as and when I have time.

Thor Images:
    - 13.3.1.0 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.2
    - 13.3.2.6 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.5

*** THESE ONES DO NOT HAVE ROOT OR BLOCK UPDATES ***
    - 13.4.5.2 <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

Apollo Images:
    - 14.3.1.0 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.2
    - 14.3.2.6 <- Flashable on Safestrap 3.7.5

*** THESE ONES DO NOT HAVE ROOT OR BLOCK UPDATES ***

- 14.3.2.8 <- Flashable on Safestrap v3.7.5
    - 14.4.5.2 <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

If you want to re-enable over the air updates then do the following:
    - Skip this if you are using the 4.5.2 files - As stated above this does not apply so be careful.
    - rename /system/etc/security/otacert.old to otacert.zip
    - rename /system/app/com.amazon.dcp.old to com.amazon.dcp.apk
    @jimyv
    @Davey126

I have updated the OP with a Safestrap Flashable 14.3.2.8
    ggow, i flashed ss_update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004120.zip and it seems it has the /system/etc/security/otacert.zip.orig file. Do you think this is intentional ?

When updating, its 100% then it says update failed and restarts again the download process.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Ok, definitely this was the issue.

Rooted, renamed to .zip, unrooted. Let it OTA and now successfully updated to 4.5.5.

Sent from my Nexus HDX 7 using XDA Free mobile app
    Can you make a 13.3.2.1 Stock Image? Just incase if i loose my TWRP backup(s) I can restore.
    Seriously? You expect someone here to create and post a stock image to just cover your behind?

There are tons of links to 13.3.x.x images (<13.3.2.4) in the forums. If you trash your system you can start with one of those and roll up. Better idea is to copy your backups to another media and store them somewhere safe. Cloud is a better idea.
    Hey @ggow, would it be possible for you to release a rooted 14.3.2.6?

Hi _Alex_,
    Sorry about the long wait, I have posted a zip for 14.3.2.6. See OP.