• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SafeStrap on Active

Search This thread

Tsaukpaetra

Jan 28, 2011
Now available for Alpha testing! http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jflteatt-active

This is Still Alpha! Be very careful! Have both a complete Nandroid backup as well as a full backup of the internal SD Card!
Read the threads below for more information.

Threads:
Normal ATT S4
Normal VZW S4
Active ATT S4

User @my-blue-snog-box Provided kernel modules:
MF1
MF2
MF3 is in the above thread links.

-- History --

SafeStrap is a method of booting custom ROMs on the Droid Razr line of phones (which have a locked bootloader) by hijacking one of the system processes during the boot process. SafeStrap Official Thread

Testing a few things out, the binaries seem to work upon initial inspection, but since the Graphics driver is wrong (and I'm going to assume the touchscreen input itself as well), I'm not willing to attempt it yet as I don't have any kind of way to recover from a soft brick.
See my ventures Here and Here

Now, I don't really know much how this works other than that which I have already described. I feel that once a custom Rom compatible with the International version is ready, we may just be able to get this ported over and working on our jailed phones...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tsaukpaetra

Jan 28, 2011

my-blue-snog-box

Aug 5, 2013
Frostburg, MD
How did I miss this? :silly:

Theoretically, if it works for the normal S4, we should be able to just drop the new display drivers and run. Of course, if not having a display during recovery is fine, it sounds like we might be able to test it now? :cool:

Actually I can confirm that SS B08 boots into recovery just fine (he is going to make a modified version for us with proper build.prop config).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: Tsaukpaetra

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Ok, so Hashcode just posted a Safestrap for the GS4A I537 (the AT&T variant many of us have) and I'm very interested in doing some testing and experimentation but, for all the ROM swaps and stuff I've done over the past decade, this strapping thing has me somewhat baffled to some degrees.

I get that I can install it, that I can use "virtual" slots for ROMs using the internal storage (iirc, or ext SD, gotta learn this stuff) and be able to run 1, 2, or even 3 ROMs on the same device (not at the same time, obviously, but chosen during the boot process).

So here's the bazillion dollar question: does this Safestrap method mean that we as GS4A I537 owners now can potentially load up the ROMs being developed for the I9295 which is the International version of the GS4A ?

Just that one question and an answer would be greatly appreciated at this point, and then I'll go from there. Apparently there's only the one ROM being developed right now (the CM10.2 one) which is fine by me, would love to check that out on the GS4A and see how it works out, but since I'm pretty much scared stiff of damaging or bricking this GS4A of mine at this point I'm just going to be (a bit more) patient instead of jumping in with both feet, figuratively speaking.

Thanks for any input...

Reactions: haim24

AndroidState

Mar 17, 2013
NY
Testing!!!!!!!

OMG!!!
I am so HAPPPY!!!!!!!
I also go today note 3 dump and also safestrap!
Edit: installed recovery!
Edit: WORKS! Booted!

Last edited:

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Well I took the leap of faith and installed Safestrap, went as expected, so now I'm itching to put this new "feature" to some good use. ;) No issues with the install or accessing it, so good so far.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I need a .zip of the stock GS4A I537 kernel modules for the MF3 build please.

After flashing almost any ROM you will need to flash the kernel module .zip to keep the kernel modules inline with the stock kernel. This should help keep the lkmauth error's at bay (any module which does not meet the signature requirements will be rejected).

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
If you can explain how to get those files, I'd be happy to provide them since I'm gonna be up all night experimenting now. ;)

my-blue-snog-box

Aug 5, 2013
Frostburg, MD
I need a .zip of the stock GS4A I537 kernel modules for the MF3 build please.

After flashing almost any ROM you will need to flash the kernel module .zip to keep the kernel modules inline with the stock kernel. This should help keep the lkmauth error's at bay (any module which does not meet the signature requirements will be rejected).

I'm on MF1; would that help at all? I successfully loaded and booted this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=240617 and I'd love to get wifi working.

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
I've got the "[AOSP][Port]★I9295★ Official 4.2.2 - S4 Google Edition - Feel the Experience of Nexus" ROM installed in slot 1 and it's working up to a point; the Wi-Fi won't stay enabled (not sure why but as stated I'm new to this Safestrap thing and of course it's a port, and we're doing this haphazardly, bleh bleh bleh). Funny thing is that it's connecting with HSPA:15 whereas the stock ROM only gets me HSPA:11 so, it's definitely faster on the data connection (luckily I have 4GB left I suppose).

I'm going to assume - shame on me - that the Wi-Fi module is one that would be affected by the kernel modules issue you mentioned, Hashcode, so I'm working on getting them now (installing Android Studio now).

<insert minutes here learning how to use adb pull and directing the output to a folder>

Ok, here ya go... kernel modules from a stock I537 running 4.2.2:

Attachments

• SGH-I537_Stock_kernel_modules.zip
    453.8 KB · Views: 44

Seelbreaker

May 20, 2010
this is so pretty damn awesome :)

The whole time i can't decide if i get the S4A or the Xperia Z - now i know which im gonna take and hope, that SafeStrap will find its way to the normal S4A :)

Regards
Seelbreaker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm a new user who can't post in development yet, but I wanted to let everyone know this procedure worked for loading a custom ROM (NOT flashing / bootloader crask) and all hardware working AFAIK) for my S4 Active i537 with the MF3 Kernel using Safestrap:

Procedure for my Samsung S4 Active i537 MF3 - I537UCUAMF3 - US, AT&T:
    Downloads section has a new Safestrap version:
    Safestrap-JFLTEATT-ACTIVE-3.6x-B09.apk

CHANGELOG:
    • No more wipe error on /cache
    • Reworded the /boot not found message as INFO
    • Boot partition should be protected in stock now. (In past versions, a boot.img file in a .zip being flashed to stock would overwrite the actual boot partition and force the use of ODIN to restore the stock boot partition).
    • 3rd and 4th CPUs are reattached correctly after 2nd-init (this was reflected in lower benchmarks)
    • Installation scripts were debugged a bit. But still seeing some users not getting a clean uninstall. :/ I'll work on this more.
    • TWRP update to 2.6.3.0 (See change log here: http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2). And if you like TWRP don't forget to let them know.

From a local build stand point, this update was HUGE for me. I redesigned how the recovery files are built in order to support / maintain more devices in a better manner. This portion was not reflected in the change log but hopefully helps keep the builds consistent across several devices in the same family (VZW, ATT, ATT-ACTIVE).

INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPGRADING
    • Boot to your stock ROM
    • Install the new APK via file manager
    • Make sure to agree to the warning about replacing the existing APK
    • Once you're in the new APK (you'll note 3.60 in the lower left corner), use the "Install Recovery" button.

That's it. Now you can reboot into recovery and go right back into your ROM slot.
    Added the ATT ACTIVE MF3 stock kernel modules to the downloads section.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=681#downloads

If you're on the locked MF3 build: Keep this .zip on the device and flash it after any ROMs that are installed. They will sync up the kernel modules and restore wifi, bt, etc.
    I think I'll wait to try this until a new thread is created with a tutorial. Safe strap is foreign to me, I'm itching to install it but I do t want to jump the gun. I've waited months to be able to flash ROMs so what's a couple days/weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537

You can go ahead and install the apk and check out the recovery if you want: it's just an apk so you won't brick. I will write up a tutorial if you give me a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk 4
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2428226.
    I am hoping that @Hashcode will be willing to help with making it work for the Active.

I have PM hashcode and told him that if he needs a loaner device that I would send mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537