• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Sailfish OS for Allwinner A31: FreeTab 8014

Search This thread

elros34

May 25, 2016
Code:
Be aware it has a lot of bugs, can break your device and it's not ready for daily usage.
Introduction
First sailfish os for allwinner A31 based tablet: FreeTab 8014 (pcb1.7 firmware files). With little effort it can be probably used on any A31 based device. Sources and patches are based on a31_v4.5_hummingbird_kfb_ok.
  • To control volume use 3 fingers gesture (unreliable)
  • Battery level stuck sometimes at different levels
  • Jolla store is not enabled
  • Whole first boot wizard might not work at first boot so if you have any issues with unlocking screen wait for a while and reboot. This is probably related to slow sdcard access and some systemd timeouts.
  • Power down is slow
  • Nested wayland compositor is unusably slow for unknown reason
  • There is no hardware decoder support in browser in 3.4.0.24 v7 image
  • When screen is off device is in deep sleep without wifi, hdmi or usb.

Images
Screenshot-18-09-18-18-06-13.png

Installation instructions
  • First you need to flash firmware with modified boot which will init from second partition on sdcard
  • Then copy this image to sdcard (using dd or Etcher) and enjoy
You can use this kernel + initramfs to boot debian/ubuntu also. If there is no sdcard or it's incorectly partitioned you can telnet to device, fix issues and continue:
telnet 192.168.2.15 23

Changelog
v2
  • HDMI support added (at the moment it's the only device with external display (HDMI) support in sfos world :p)
  • VSYNC udev events converted to sysfs and handled in qpa plugin (greatly decrease cpu usage)
  • Landscape frambuffer issues fixed
v1
  • Initial release

FAQ
Q: Can I *?
A: It's NOT android so you can't

XDA:DevDB Information
Sailfish OS, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
elros34
Source Code: https://github.com/elros34/freetab_8014

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information
Alpha

Created 2018-09-18
Last Updated 2018-10-03

Last edited:
Reactions: g33k0

Rock2204

Dec 23, 2020
[QUOTE = "Galaxyninja66, сообщение: 78023081, участник: 6359761"]
ты великолепен.
[/ QUOTE]
Привет.Подскажите а как это чудо установить на explay squad 9.71 ? Как изменить загрузку прошивки?

Rock2204

Dec 23, 2020
[QUOTE = "Galaxyninja66, сообщение: 78023081, участник: 6359761"]
ты великолепен.
[/ QUOTE]
Привет.Подскажите а как это чудо установить на explay squad 9.71 ? Как изменить загрузку прошивки?
Hi. Tell me how to install this miracle on explay squad 9.71? How do I change the firmware download?

elros34

May 25, 2016
Please in English. I don't know Russian.
Port is not that great, it has some serious issues. Installation on sdcard simplify process but slow downs system. If you want to try it and you don't worry breaking device then provide your sys_config.fex (maybe also sys_partition.fex). You can extract it from you firmware image using imgRePacker. I will compare it with my sys_config and enable needed drivers in kernel if they are available.

Edit: Grabbing dmesg in android which include very early kernel messages and lsmod will also help to identify required drivers.

Last edited:

Rock2204

Dec 23, 2020
Привет. Большое спасибо за помощь. Ты самый лучший. Вот мои файлы:

Attachments

• fex.rar
    11.8 KB · Views: 6

elros34

May 25, 2016
Display is different but looks like there is driver for it already enabled in so it might work out of the box. Wifi should be same 8188eu.
The problem is with touchscreen driver which is "gt9xx" but there is no firmware name. WIthout dmesg I asked I can only guess so please adb shell as soon as possible after reboot and paste
Code:
while true; do dmesg -c; done
Is that sys_config.fex from firmware you have tested? Could you provide download link for it for me?

elros34

May 25, 2016
So this is modified firmware from similar device with unknown changes. How about original firmware?

Looks like there are 2 revisions of this tablet with different max touch capabilities. Which revision is your device?

elros34

May 25, 2016
@Rock2204 original sys_config.fex doesn't use ctp_name so driver will use default init configuration. Maybe it will be enough.
I hope I haven't forgotten anything important. It's been a long time since I used a31 sdk. Be aware this is all potentially dangerous for your device.

Copy boot.fex and Vboot.fex from following tar.gz archive to sQuad_9.71-20130403-V1.00.img.dump, recreate image and flash it. Use Etcher to put sfos-squad-971v1-3.4.0.24-v7.img to sdcard.

If display will stays blank then you need to 'telnet 192.168.2.15 2323' to device and get some logs like dmesg and journalctl --no-page.

Last edited:

Rock2204

Dec 23, 2020
I flashed it with firmware from Onda v972, the download started, but the screen is only cut off and reacts to the enable button. Telnet cannot find port. Boot ubuntu from banana pi m2 but otg does not work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    Be aware it has a lot of bugs, can break your device and it's not ready for daily usage.
    Introduction
    First sailfish os for allwinner A31 based tablet: FreeTab 8014 (pcb1.7 firmware files). With little effort it can be probably used on any A31 based device. Sources and patches are based on a31_v4.5_hummingbird_kfb_ok.
    • To control volume use 3 fingers gesture (unreliable)
    • Battery level stuck sometimes at different levels
    • Jolla store is not enabled
    • Whole first boot wizard might not work at first boot so if you have any issues with unlocking screen wait for a while and reboot. This is probably related to slow sdcard access and some systemd timeouts.
    • Power down is slow
    • Nested wayland compositor is unusably slow for unknown reason
    • There is no hardware decoder support in browser in 3.4.0.24 v7 image
    • When screen is off device is in deep sleep without wifi, hdmi or usb.

Images

Installation instructions
    • First you need to flash firmware with modified boot which will init from second partition on sdcard
    • Then copy this image to sdcard (using dd or Etcher) and enjoy
    You can use this kernel + initramfs to boot debian/ubuntu also. If there is no sdcard or it's incorectly partitioned you can telnet to device, fix issues and continue:
    telnet 192.168.2.15 23

Changelog
    v2
    • HDMI support added (at the moment it's the only device with external display (HDMI) support in sfos world :p)
    • VSYNC udev events converted to sysfs and handled in qpa plugin (greatly decrease cpu usage)
    • Landscape frambuffer issues fixed
    v1
    • Initial release

FAQ
    Q: Can I *?
    A: It's NOT android so you can't

XDA:DevDB Information
    Sailfish OS, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    elros34
    Source Code: https://github.com/elros34/freetab_8014

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information
    Alpha

Created 2018-09-18
    Last Updated 2018-10-03