• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Sailfish OS for the Samsung Galaxy S7

Search This thread

lSDriim

Aug 21, 2017
I doesn't have enougth rigth to post to roms, so will post here.

WARNING! Everything you do, you do at your own peril and risk. I do not bear any responsibility for your faulty devices.
Knox will tick. ROM in alpha and not suitable for every day use.

Installation instructions:
1. Install TWRP
2. Reboot in TWRP (Menu unlock phone - Recovery)
3. Wipe -> Format Data -> write - yes -> Enter
4. adb push <LineageOS> /sdcard
5. adb push <SailfishOS> /sdcard
6. Into TWRP: Install <LineageOS>
7. Into TWRP: Install <SailfishOS>
8. Into TWRP: Install <Audio FIX>
9. Reboot in System
Enjoy!

Sailfish OS Android HAL based on Lineage OS 14.1.

Downloads:
TWRP for herolte
Lineage OS 14.1 for herolte
Sailfish OS 2.1.4.14 for herolte
Sailfish Galaxy S7 audio fix(based on work of painted.man)

Sources:
https://github.com/Driim
Build guide can be found here.

Problems:
1. WLAN worked partially(can't remember network to automatically connect after reboot)
2. Bluetooth not working
3. NFC not working
4. Fingerprint not working (Sailfish problem)

Debug:
In Ubuntu. Connect USB cable. telnet 192.168.2.15 2323 or ssh.

Changelog:
Update to Sailfish OS 2.1.4.14
GSM calls fix
Working mobile data and sms.

Attachments

• mob.jpg
    mob.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 8,042
  • photo_2018-02-12_10-24-28.jpg
    photo_2018-02-12_10-24-28.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 7,567
  • photo_2018-02-12_10-24-22.jpg
    photo_2018-02-12_10-24-22.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 7,563
Last edited:

HarvHouHacker

Oct 22, 2015
Here. :-P
gitlab.com
It's pointless, the Sailfish OS uses Lineage OS HAL layer to work with hardware, without Lineage OS it won't start.
Then you need to extract the components that make up the HAL layer. If you don't know how to do this, you could try asking around XDA or doing some web searching, but I'm afraid that I can't help you by actually doing it; I can only provide suggestions. :( However, since I'm quite interested, I'll stay subscribed to your post here.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Please provide more screenshots!

lSDriim

Aug 21, 2017
Then you need to extract the components that make up the HAL layer. If you don't know how to do this, you could try asking around XDA or doing some web searching, but I'm afraid that I can't help you by actually doing it; I can only provide suggestions. :( However, since I'm quite interested, I'll stay subscribed to your post here.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I think you do not quite understand. I already extracted them and just wrote the version from which I extracted. So there are no Lineage OS on phone, only Sailfish OS and HAL components from Lineage OS 14.1(only proprietary components).

I update release and add new screenshots.

HarvHouHacker

Oct 22, 2015
gitlab.com
I think you do not quite understand. I already extracted them and just wrote the version from which I extracted. So there are no Lineage OS on phone, only Sailfish OS and HAL components from Lineage OS 14.1(only proprietary components).
Thanks for clearing that up. You probably should figure out how to merge the two packages together, so we don't have to flash two separate packages, one before the other. Also, see what you can find out about the remaining problems. Try to get other developers involved. Also, you can always Google, Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Yandex, etc. anything you need help with. I find most solutions on the net.

Reactions: Mujeeb64

lSDriim

Aug 21, 2017
Thanks for clearing that up. You probably should figure out how to merge the two packages together, so we don't have to flash two separate packages, one before the other. Also, see what you can find out about the remaining problems. Try to get other developers involved. Also, you can always Google, Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Yandex, etc. anything you need help with. I find most solutions on the net.

Merging of two packets, it's question for Sailfish OS developers, because it's the only way to install Sailfish.

Some people work on solving problems, I also asked about this problems on sailfish porters irc channel. I write this thread to get other developers involved.

HarvHouHacker

Oct 22, 2015
gitlab.com
Merging of two packets, it's question for Sailfish OS developers, because it's the only way to install Sailfish.

Some people work on solving problems, I also asked about this problems on sailfish porters irc channel. I write this thread to get other developers involved.
Aren't you a developer?!? :confused: Just because you aren't an employee at Jolla doesn't mean you're not developing Sailfish! After all, isn't it opensource?

Admittedly though, I'm a novice too when it comes to developing OSes, however I'm still studying more programming languages. I'm interested in Java, Python, and C++, which may help in diagnosing problems with your build. As for actually applying it, I don't know how I could test it without messing up my S7 Edge. :(

lSDriim

Aug 21, 2017
Aren't you a developer?!? :confused: Just because you aren't an employee at Jolla doesn't mean you're not developing Sailfish! After all, isn't it opensource?

Admittedly though, I'm a novice too when it comes to developing OSes, however I'm still studying more programming languages. I'm interested in Java, Python, and C++, which may help in diagnosing problems with your build. As for actually applying it, I don't know how I could test it without messing up my S7 Edge. :(

Sailfish OS is open-source based, not all parts of Jolla is opened. But open part must be enougth to port new device.

To develop new Oses you need to know C(most of the system programming), C++ and Bash. You could try do S7 Edge port, but it better to have special phone fo this :)

I looked how can I separate Sailfish from Lineage OS and found Halium projects, that based on Ubuntu Touch. They start Android HAL in container, so system is more clean, now I am testing Halium build.

Last edited:

HarvHouHacker

Oct 22, 2015
gitlab.com
Sailfish OS is open-source based, not all parts of Jolla is opened. But open part must be enough to port new device.
So, what parts of the OS are opensource? Just curious; I know very little about Sailfish source code.

To develop new Oses you need to know C(most of the system programming), C++ and Bash. You could try do S7 Edge port, but it better to have special phone fo this :)
I'm learning C++, and I know some Bash. I might be able to diagnose problems if you'll output some log info. Try to be as descriptive as possible.

I looked how can I separate Sailfish from Lineage OS and found Halium projects, that based on Ubuntu Touch. They start Android HAL in container, so system is more clean, now I am testing Halium build.
Ah, Ubuntu Touch! That was a good venture. Too bad it didn't last. :( Let me know if it works better as the HAL for your project.

lSDriim

Aug 21, 2017
So, what parts of the OS are opensource? Just curious; I know very little about Sailfish source code.

Almost all except UI.
I'm learning C++, and I know some Bash. I might be able to diagnose problems if you'll output some log info. Try to be as descriptive as possible.

Bad idea, to much logs. If you not familiar with ofono, pulseaudio and etc, logs will not help.

HarvHouHacker

Oct 22, 2015
gitlab.com
Bad idea, to much logs. If you not familiar with ofono, pulseaudio and etc, logs will not help.
Not the entire logs! Just the ones with the errors that are produced from whatever needs fixing. Some commands that output constant log updates have filters. For instance, one way I diagnose a problem on Android is connect the device to my laptop, run "adb logcat *:E", repeat the action on the device that works improperly, then stop the output (usually CTRL + C) and scan the errors for the ones about my issue. If there is still too much to sift through, I try again, setting more filters. You can learn what filters you can apply by typing " adb logcat -h".

I don't know if adb works with Sailfish, but you might could discover logcat or something similar that will filter logs and output only the relevant information. As for what you just mentioned, I can diagnose issues with many Linux-based programs. I use Ubuntu. :victory:

Last edited:

painted.man

Feb 27, 2018
solution for audio

I found solution for audio problem.

You have to edit /system/etc/audio_policy.conf:
- Delete AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DEEP_BUFFER flag on primary audio device
- Comment sections tms and playback_record

You also can pass argument config to pulseaudio-modules-droid and set location to your correct config file instead of editing vendor file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I doesn't have enougth rigth to post to roms, so will post here.

WARNING! Everything you do, you do at your own peril and risk. I do not bear any responsibility for your faulty devices.
    Knox will tick. ROM in alpha and not suitable for every day use.

Installation instructions:
    1. Install TWRP
    2. Reboot in TWRP (Menu unlock phone - Recovery)
    3. Wipe -> Format Data -> write - yes -> Enter
    4. adb push <LineageOS> /sdcard
    5. adb push <SailfishOS> /sdcard
    6. Into TWRP: Install <LineageOS>
    7. Into TWRP: Install <SailfishOS>
    8. Into TWRP: Install <Audio FIX>
    9. Reboot in System
    Enjoy!

Sailfish OS Android HAL based on Lineage OS 14.1.

Downloads:
    TWRP for herolte
    Lineage OS 14.1 for herolte
    Sailfish OS 2.1.4.14 for herolte
    Sailfish Galaxy S7 audio fix(based on work of painted.man)

Sources:
    https://github.com/Driim
    Build guide can be found here.

Problems:
    1. WLAN worked partially(can't remember network to automatically connect after reboot)
    2. Bluetooth not working
    3. NFC not working
    4. Fingerprint not working (Sailfish problem)

Debug:
    In Ubuntu. Connect USB cable. telnet 192.168.2.15 2323 or ssh.

Changelog:
    Update to Sailfish OS 2.1.4.14
    GSM calls fix
    Working mobile data and sms.
    solution for audio

I found solution for audio problem.

You have to edit /system/etc/audio_policy.conf:
    - Delete AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DEEP_BUFFER flag on primary audio device
    - Comment sections tms and playback_record

You also can pass argument config to pulseaudio-modules-droid and set location to your correct config file instead of editing vendor file.

I update release and add new screenshots.
    I do not have Galaxy S7 Edge, but someone else can do it.
    As for the Wi-Fi not reconnecting; On the s7 atleast (probably more) there's a line in the build.prop "ro.securestorage.support"

Change that to the opposite of what it's on