SamDunk Exploit, S5 Bootloader Unlock, and Potential For Note 3

Search This thread

Namelesswonder

Jan 26, 2014
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So the bootloader unlock exploit has been released today, link to the PDF detailing it here, and the Galaxy S5 on Verizon was bootloader unlocked. The paper describes that any phone with Samsung eMMC is vulnerable to the exploit, so that extends to the Note 3, however it is detailed that only select models can take advantage of the exploit. In short, the exploit is able to overwrite the device identification (CID) that is "permanently" (good job Samsung) written to the eMMC. When the phone is booted, info from the aboot is read that verifies if the CID matches what a "Developer Edition" phone would have and then unlocks the bootloader. There is a couple limitations.

1. A Developer Edition aboot is required.
  2. We need to be able to flash that aboot with ODIN
  3. A matching Developer Edition CID to go with that aboot

It is questionable whether this will apply to the Note 3, or if it will apply to our variant. My biggest concern is the DE aboot and CID. Our variant doesn't have a Developer Edition, so we may be getting hyped up for nothing. The paper has a link to a github repo that contains the required code to change the CID. Let's hope for the best and hopefully find out if we can do it for our phones.

Last edited:

xDecapitator

Jun 1, 2012
California
I've had this phone since launch waiting specifically for CM. I just shattered the screen 3 days ago. I guess the universe doesn't want me to have nice things.

Namelesswonder

Jan 26, 2014
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So the bootloader unlock exploit has been released today, link to the PDF detailing it here, and the Galaxy S5 on Verizon was bootloader unlocked. The paper describes that any phone with Samsung eMMC is vulnerable to the exploit, so that extends to the Note 3, however it is detailed that only select models can take advantage of the exploit. In short, the exploit is able to overwrite the device identification (CID) that is "permanently" (good job Samsung) written to the eMMC. When the phone is booted, info from the aboot is read that verifies if the CID matches what a "Developer Edition" phone would have and then unlocks the bootloader. There is a couple limitations.

1. A Developer Edition aboot is required.
    2. We need to be able to flash that aboot with ODIN
    3. A matching Developer Edition CID to go with that aboot

It is questionable whether this will apply to the Note 3, or if it will apply to our variant. My biggest concern is the DE aboot and CID. Our variant doesn't have a Developer Edition, so we may be getting hyped up for nothing. The paper has a link to a github repo that contains the required code to change the CID. Let's hope for the best and hopefully find out if we can do it for our phones.
    So it turns out that we are out of luck. We possibly have the ability to change the CID, I just checked and my device has Samsung eMMC. However, we don't have a developer edition counterpart so we can't do anything. Looks like we are still going to be locked down.

Thread for the release here: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/development/rd-unlocking-galaxys-s5-bootloader-t3337909