Samfail root success and workarounds

Search This thread

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I wanted to start a thread in the AT&T forum for everyone to share there successes and workarounds after rooting with Samfail. I know there is a thread for the root process here https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8/development/root-samfail-galaxy-note8-t3685340 But i wanted this to be a place where we can share also what works for the AT&T phones.

I just rooted tonight, so far all i have done is disable the AT&T bootup sound but going to /system/omc/ATT/res/media/audio/ui and renaming PowerOn.ogg to read PowerOn.ogg.bak

As i figure out more things I'll keep updating the op.

Please feel free to share any tweaks you may know.

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
I wanted to start a thread in the AT&T forum for everyone to share there successes and workarounds after rooting with Samfail. I know there is a thread for the root process here https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8/development/root-samfail-galaxy-note8-t3685340 But i wanted this to be a place where we can share also what works for the AT&T phones.

I just rooted tonight, so far all i have done is disable the AT&T bootup sound but going to /system/omc/ATT/res/media/audio/ui and renaming PowerOn.ogg to read PowerOn.ogg.bak

As i figure out more things I'll keep updating the op.

Please feel free to share any tweaks you may know.

As I sure you've seen my complaining in the root thread -- My main issue is the inability to get full calling features

It is very weird from my perspective in that everything seems to provision properly. I can make WiFi Calls but if I turn Wifi off then try ot make a call the call Ends suddenly unless I turn Enhanced LTE services off. But the really weird thing is that I can make calls in the area near my work (it is a bit more remote than where live) and it does appear that the calls are being made VoLTE. So why would the network in one place allow the calls to go through but in another the calls suddenly end ??? I think the answer to this might be the clue to getting this issue fixed for AT&T users.

I know many of you don't need the full calling features but for me it is essential and I would go without root if I can't find a solution :crying::crying:

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
As I sure you've seen my complaining in the root thread -- My main issue is the inability to get full calling features

It is very weird from my perspective in that everything seems to provision properly. I can make WiFi Calls but if I turn Wifi off then try ot make a call the call Ends suddenly unless I turn Enhanced LTE services off. But the really weird thing is that I can make calls in the area near my work (it is a bit more remote than where live) and it does appear that the calls are being made VoLTE. So why would the network in one place allow the calls to go through but in another the calls suddenly end ??? I think the answer to this might be the clue to getting this issue fixed for AT&T users.

I know many of you don't need the full calling features but for me it is essential and I would go without root if I can't find a solution :crying::crying:
Yea i never video or WiFi call (ok maybe have yo WiFi call about 2 or 3 times a year) so losing those two things don't bother me. I've always turned off enhanced lte services since they introduced it simply because it drains more battery plus from what I've googled about it, it don't really pertain to anything i need. I am hopeful though that once people start to use this root method, we'll start to figuring out how to fix everything like normal.

timmy10shoes

Apr 10, 2012
I'm not really sure the purpose to use this root method, its not even really root to begin with. What are your plans with using this method? I mean there are a few fun things to do but not worth a unstable system and 80% battery.

Last edited:

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm not really sure the purpose to use this root method, its not even really root to begin with. What are your plans with using this method?
Why do you say "it's not really root to begin with"? By doing this method you gain access to root files and to the heart of your phone. SuperSU installs and works, you are able to deodex, theme, modify all as you want if you know what your doing. Sure there are a few issues with it (battery limited to 80%, WiFi calling, and camera) but none of this will get fixed we work on finding out the issue, but root has always brought about some type of issue one way or another in locked bootloader devices. My plan with rooting my phone is to build my rom with the tweaks and mods that i like, run the ad blockers that i like, possibly install xposed (haven't used it in a while). One of the main purposes of root in my opinion is to make your phone the way you like it. I mean you can sit around and wait for someone to make the phone how they like it and then possibly share it with others or you can take the initiative to learn yourself. Not really root to begin with? It's root, just not how it used to be. I hope someone does figure out a different root method that don't render the battery to 80%, i wish i knew how to look for exploits (I'm currently trying to learn) but until then, this is what we have. What are your reasons for believing this is not a real root method?

Last edited:

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I mean its not really root because they are using a modified system file, not finding a real working exploit. It is a leaked factory image and a leaked factory kernel that needs to go with it. The 80% isn't going away. Its built into the kernel with can't be touched or motified. But we can always dream
Well that's why I'm still hoping for a different root method they don't have to use leaked files. But i can say that this root method runs a lot smoother than the method we had to use in the S7. This method hasn't been out very long, but is say within the next few months we'll start seeing more development happening . Or at least i hope. I've just recently started making my own roms (i don't release them to anyone being as I'm still learning and can't give a lot of trouble shooting assistance) but it's fun for me to pass the time at work. (I have a real laid back job with nothing to do a lot of times lol)

timmy10shoes

Apr 10, 2012
I mean its not really root because they are using a modified system file, not finding a real working exploit. It is a leaked factory image and a leaked factory kernel that needs to go with it. The 80% isn't going away. Its built into the kernel with can't be touched or motified. But we can always dream

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I get the fun part of it, thats why I use unlocked devices to flash the good stuff.

Reactions: Allystarr

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I get the fun part of it, thats why I use unlocked devices to flash the good stuff.
I've thought about buying am unlocked device but have read conflicting posts about service and radio bands messing that are used here in the US so I've always shyed away from them.

timmy10shoes

Apr 10, 2012
I have developed a few roms myself for the Bionic and Razr. Its highly entertaining and I want it myself but there hasn't been true root since the note 3 I believe.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

I've thought about buying am unlocked device but have read conflicting posts about service and radio bands messing that are used here in the US so I've always shyed away from them.
I use unactivated devices. There is a ton on trial and error so I don't use my daily driver for that.

Don_Pachuco

Jan 25, 2014
Milwaukee
Are there any ROM anywhere for the snapdragon? Also anyone know where the stock firmware is located or can be found? When you go back,is it like it never happened ?

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Are there any ROM anywhere for the snapdragon? Also anyone know where the stock firmware is located or can be found? When you go back,is it like it never happened ?
No roms yet (on AT&T at least that i know of). Not trying to be rude but do you even search, see attached picture. Literally 4 post down from this thread.

Attachments

• 20180102_080810.jpg
    20180102_080810.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 503

jforest3026

Jan 2, 2018
Help!!! Please help!!!!

This is my first time with odin or basically anything computer related i am stuck at 2nd step of samfail. can some one please tell me what to do. it says fail (auth) thank you in advance. I have already done step 1 and it failed just like the instructions say but now in step 2 it fails every time. I'm stuck please help!:confused::confused::(

truly in over my head hear

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This is my first time with odin or basically anything computer related i am stuck at 2nd step of samfail. can some one please tell me what to do. it says fail (auth) thank you in advance. I have already done step 1 and it failed just like the instructions say but now in step 2 it fails every time. I'm stuck please help!:confused::confused::(

truly in over my head hear
This is a thread for mods done after rooting, post questions about getting rooted in your root thread please.
https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8/development/root-samfail-galaxy-note8-t3685340/page323

PajammasBinLaden

Mar 21, 2018
the %80 max battery issue

I've enjoyed a rooted Note 8(sm-n950u) Nougat7.1.1 for over a week via samFAIL method and am quite thankful to the samfail/pwned team for providing it.

The max battery issue is the only drawback as far as I've noticed so far. I have a nice and speedy phone that is devoid of bloating apps, and vendor/carrier garbage.

As far as the max battery issue, I've done some digging and haven't found a cure yet.

I've noticed a couple things.
in /efs/Battery and in /sys/class/power_supply/battery there is a file named batt_capacity_max that has something to do with the max battery limit which is obvious by name of course.
Notes:
1. You can not change the value in /sys/class/power_supply/battery/. You can edit and write the file without any error or sign of failure; But checking the file immediately afterwards, you'll find that the contents did not change.
2. You can change the file in /efs/Battery/, but the contents are reset upon reboot.
3. The file contains only a number.

In my case, batt_capacity_max contains the number 1000 regardless of the charged state. i.e. It is 1000 when the phone if charged to max, and it is 1000 when the phone is nearly drained.
I change the value to see if it has any effect, and it does.
I interpreted the 1000 as binary 8, and changed to number to 1010 (binary 10). Then I charged the phone only to find that I could not charge the phone past 17% eep! This wasn't a problem though as rebooting the phone or returning the file to its original value restored the function to normal(rooted normal, that is..max 80%).

I've also deleted the file, then charged the phone to find that there was no effect.

I then came across a slightly older xda thread charge to 100 snapdragon root(s8 sampwn)
The thread had a great number of contributors and provided a great deal of background info, but the method described therein has become obsolete or does not apply to the Note 8 i believe.

If anyone has discovered anything effective regarding the battery max limit, I hope they will contribute that info here, or at least link to an existing thread that I may have missed.
One thing I would like to understand is what processe(s) are being employed in this battery limit system. Is it merely a sub-function of the SafetyNet, or something else? I've filtered what I believe are the pertinent logs(dmesg and logcat) trying to find reference to batt_capacity_max but have come up empty.

I have't tinkered with this in a couple days, but I plan to get back to it tomorrow. Anyone has ideas or suggestions, please contribute. personally I don't really care wether I "fix" this issue as much as I am using this pursuit to glean a better understanding of the android/samsung subsystems relative to it. .. to fix it, of course, is ideal.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.