Sammoble SM-T970 Firmware flash options help ?

Search This thread

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I have a SM-T970 and the June update is out on Sammoble for pretty much every other Tab S7 version except my SM-T970 which for some unknown reason Sammoble never updates on the site ?

Can I safely flash any of the other Tab S7 units firmware's or do I have to wait for the exact SM-T970 firmware ?

xpdragon

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I saw the update showed up on that site around late afternoon. I checked in the morning and didn't see the update. Aynway, I can't do ota update since my device is rooted. So I had to updated it in different way.
If you notice most of the S7 models tend to get the updates way sooner then the SM-T970. Wondering do you know is it possible to update from a different firmware or does it need to be the exact model ?

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
I just tried downlading the latest BUF5 firmware from samfrew.com. unless you want to pay them for fast speed DL, it will be very slow (my DL estimate was 10+ hours when I tried). They also have an option to save the file to your Google Drive, but i couldnt get it to work. The DL would never start, and the file didnt show up in my Drive.

I instead recommend using galaxyfirmware.com. Just search for the device/model, click the firmware you want. If you want a fast DL without paying, choose the option to share it to your GDrive. It will redirect you to Google where you'll log in. After it's shared to your Drive, just open the Drive app and DL it from there. Or go to drive.google.com in a Web browser.

SamMobile has long since been the most popular site for Samsung firmware downloads, it's where alot of the other firmware sites get their files from. But, unless you pay for a sub, your DL will be very slow. I also couldnt find the BUF5 firmware on SamMobile, but both samfrew.com and galaxyfirmware.com have it.

To my knowledge, the XAR firmware variant is the correct one for the Tab S7+ US region. If you're in another country, then choose a different region when searching for firmwares. So basically, choose SM-T970 for the wifi only Tab S7+. Then choose your region code (XAR, for me). Galaxyfirmware.com makes it easy to know which region a particular code is for. After that, just choose the firmware version you want (BUF5 for me, or something else if you prefer). They sort their firmwares by date released and Android version, so it's easy to see which is the latest.

@Markeee: You generally have to use a firmware that is for the exact model that you have. SM-T970 is the model # for the wifi only Tab S7+, the LTE/5G versions of this tab have a different model #. So, for example, you can't flash a Tab S7 firmware on a Tab S7+. And you also can't flash a LTE/5G firmware on the wifi only model. You can update/flash a "different" firmware, but it has to be for the *SAME* model that you have. As long as the model of the firmware matches what you have, you're golden.

I also forgot to say that (on our tab model) you cant downgrade to a firmware that uses version 1 bootloader, if you're already using a firmware that has a version 2 bootloader. Samsung released an update this year that prevents downgrading in this scenario. As an example, i'm currently running T970XXU2BUF5. The U2 in that denotes version 2 bootloader, U1 in a firmware name is for version 1 bootloader. You can upgrade from U1 to U2, but not backwards. So dont try this, it wont work. And be mindful of what you're flashing.

Last edited:

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I just tried downlading the latest BUF5 firmware from samfrew.com. unless you want to pay them for fast speed DL, it will be very slow (my DL estimate was 10+ hours when I tried). They also have an option to save the file to your Google Drive, but i couldnt get it to work. The DL would never start, and the file didnt show up in my Drive.

I instead recommend using galaxyfirmware.com. Just search for the device/model, click the firmware you want. If you want a fast DL without paying, choose the option to share it to your GDrive. It will redirect you to Google where you'll log in. After it's shared to your Drive, just open the Drive app and DL it from there. Or go to drive.google.com in a Web browser.

SamMobile has long since been the most popular site for Samsung firmware downloads, it's where alot of the other firmware sites get their files from. But, unless you pay for a sub, your DL will be very slow. I also couldnt find the BUF5 firmware on SamMobile, but both samfrew.com and galaxyfirmware.com have it.

To my knowledge, the XAR firmware variant is the correct one for the Tab S7+ US region. If you're in another country, then choose a different region when searching for firmwares. So basically, choose SM-T970 for the wifi only Tab S7+. Then choose your region code (XAR, for me). Galaxyfirmware.com makes it easy to know which region a particular code is for. After that, just choose the firmware version you want (BUF5 for me, or something else if you prefer). They sort their firmwares by date released and Android version, so it's easy to see which is the latest.

@Markeee: You generally have to use a firmware that is for the exact model that you have. SM-T970 is the model # for the wifi only Tab S7+, the LTE/5G versions of this tab have a different model #. So, for example, you can't flash a Tab S7 firmware on a Tab S7+. And you also can't flash a LTE/5G firmware on the wifi only model. You can update/flash a "different" firmware, but it has to be for the *SAME* model that you have. As long as the model of the firmware matches what you have, you're golden.

I also forgot to say that (on our tab model) you cant downgrade to a firmware that uses version 1 bootloader, if you're already using a firmware that has a version 2 bootloader. Samsung released an update this year that prevents downgrading in this scenario. As an example, i'm currently running T970XXU2BUF5. The U2 in that denotes version 2 bootloader, U1 in a firmware name is for version 1 bootloader. You can upgrade from U1 to U2, but not backwards. So dont try this, it wont work. And be mindful of what you're flashing

Past due for an update been over 3 months

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@Markeee: I've disabled the built in firmware updater in my tab, without root or a PC. You need an app called LADB (paid only, but worth it, or you can compile the app from source code for free), a wifi network, wireless debugging enabled in developer settings, and Android 11. LADB lets you use ADB commands directly on device, which would normally require a PC. You just need to know the package name of the updater, then a single command to either disable or uninstall it. None of this will void warranty, trip Knox. i did this a few weeks ago, tablet functionality isnt affected, everything is running great, no crashes. And i know the updater is disabled, because it doesnt appear in Settings when i search for it.

I just prefer to update manually via Odin, i dont want my tab updating on its' own. I've heard about Samsung forcing updates recently.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@xpdragon: That's nice to know, but I think I'll still wait on Samsung to release the update for XAR US region. I don't really want to flash European firmware on my tab just to get the update, because it would change the CSC code to something that isn't optimal for my location. I've been running the July update ever since the tab was delivered to me, no issues so far, therefore no pressing need to update.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016

vbrulzzz

Jul 26, 2016
I saw the update showed up on that site around late afternoon. I checked in the morning and didn't see the update. Aynway, I can't do ota update since my device is rooted. So I had to updated it in different way.
Please help me
I got the s7+ wifi as a gift from a dear one
And unfortunately they are no more
Hence it being their last memory I cannot sell it
But
I DESPERATELY NEED VOLTE IN IT
please help ,me someone
There's got to be a wa I'm sure

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Please help me
I got the s7+ wifi as a gift from a dear one
And unfortunately they are no more
Hence it being their last memory I cannot sell it
But
I DESPERATELY NEED VOLTE IN IT
please help ,me someone
There's got to be a wa I'm sure
The WiFi only models don't support volte, since they have no mobile data capabilities. Do you have an SM-T970? I used to have that model until I sold it to a friend, it's perfect for him because he only needs to use it on home WiFi, and he has no need to make calls/texts on it.

I still have a Tab S7+, but it's the SM-T976N Korean variant, which supports wifi, 4g, and 5g. I currently have a T-Mobile sim card in it, all is working great. However, I'm pretty sure it doesn't support volte.

If you really don't want to keep it, I'm pretty sure you could sell it on eBay for 300-400 $, depending on its' condition. I bought my Tab S7+ 5g on eBay, new in factory sealed box, for 999$. I feel like it was a good deal, I'm very happy with it. The main thing for me is that it's mobile data capable, a big advantage over my WiFi only model.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I also forgot to say that (on our tab model) you cant downgrade to a firmware that uses version 1 bootloader, if you're already using a firmware that has a version 2 bootloader. Samsung released an update this year that prevents downgrading in this scenario. As an example, i'm currently running T970XXU2BUF5. The U2 in that denotes version 2 bootloader, U1 in a firmware name is for version 1 bootloader. You can upgrade from U1 to U2, but not backwards. So dont try this, it wont work. And be mindful of what you're flashing.