Sample photos - original resolution - All Lenses + RAW

Search This thread

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi All

I'm away the mo, but here are some samples I've taken so far. I've posted these up as it's hard to find original res pics. There are tons of reviews with reduced size images which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I'm looking for a good scene so I can take the same shot with every lens so we can do more detailed comparisons, but this is a starter:

edit: imgur worked fine at first, but now it's reduced the resolution of the files! I've uploaded them to mega.nz here:

https://mega.nz/#F!EZMxxQbJ!lAIm7Z4JIda3wN62LmSW7w

The above link contains all the images, so don't bother with the imgur links below.

At mega.nz, right-click on an image you want and choose download to get the file in full resolution. Don't bother with Preview as this is low res.

I'm not too impressed with the ultrawide image as if you zoom in to a face, the image is very soft as far as looking out of focus. For Macro shots, I found it best to go into camera settings and turn on Focus & Shoot. If you don't it's hard to get the macro camera to focus just where you want it.

The 108MP image looks quite good and you can zoom in a long way.

As soon as I see a good shot, I'll take that photo with all lenses and do some night shots.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: hoaletn and Sylar82

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I've been doing some comparisons between crops of @TF1920's current version of opencam mods and the stock cam. The reference is the brickwork on the end of a house in the middle of the picture. The comparisons have been uploaded to mega.nz with the link below. All of the comparison images file names begin with the word Comparison and each pair of images are annotated with Opencam or note10 and the lens used.
There is also a comparison of stock camera 27mp images in jpeg and DNG format.

https://mega.nz/#F!hZUkFKgJ!8P0msMZIag0drQstokvVTA

So, here's the results:

Compare_OC_Note10_2xTele_12mp
Note 10 crop has much more detail than opencam. I tried sharpening the opencam image, but it didn't help. In my view the note10 image is over-sharpened.

Compare_OC_Note10_5xTele_8mp
The Note10 image has more detail than the opencam image. Not a great deal, but sharper.

Compare_OC_Note10_U_Wide
These images seem to me, to be identical.

Compare_OC_Note10_WIDE_108mp
There's quite a difference between these 2 images. Note10 seems to have a lot more detail. I tried sharpening the opencam image but it didn't help. Hmm....

Compare_Note10_Wide_jpeg_dng_27mp
I found this interesting. The RAW image was much softer than the jpeg so no surprises there. However, the grass and stones looked like grass and stones in the RAW image. In the jpeg, they had suffered from over sharpening and had clear 'oil painting' effect. This gives me hope that I can use a RAW file and produce an image that is a better compromise than the over sharpened jpegs spat out by most manufacturers.

Raw Files
It's worth noting that although the RAW files uploaded to mega.nz look very washed out with a green tint, if you view them in irfanview they look much better.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: dazed1

TF1920

Nov 23, 2019
Good Job Steve, at 108Mpx try OpenCam with manual focus and compare with stock, seems to improve a lot the detail even gets better than stock, but it is tricky to use since you need to zoom in first at 10X focus and revert to no zoom

Last edited:
Reactions: picitup

revthanki

Apr 9, 2010
One mode I'm really interested in is 12MP on the 108MP camera, if possible this would be 9-to-1 pixel binning (the same mode that Samsung is planning in the S11) and maybe provide great low-light performance. Another poster tells me that 12MP is not available on the main cam in the Xiaomi app, but is available on Open Camera.

Could someone test this? The results might be impressive

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
One mode I'm really interested in is 12MP on the 108MP camera, if possible this would be 9-to-1 pixel binning (the same mode that Samsung is planning in the S11) and maybe provide great low-light performance. Another poster tells me that 12MP is not available on the main cam in the Xiaomi app, but is available on Open Camera.

Yes I have the modded opencam @TF1920 has developed. If you check out this page:

https://xdaforums.com/mi-note-10/help/camera2-api-t4011239/page4

He's posted up a screenshot of all of the available resolutions in open camera and a couple are very close to 12MP. Over the next couple of days, I'll take a shot of each resolution and maybe you could feed back your results?

Happy Xmas all.....

Steve

Last edited:

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Correction, the screen shot I mentioned is not the full range of resolutions in @TF1920's opencam. It's quite a long list so I tried to do a screen capture with scroll but it finishes before the end of the page. I've taken a number of screenshots of the opencam Wide resolutions and glued them all together for your viewing pleasure. It's attached to this post.

Also up are 4 shots taken outside my front door this morning at around 7am. In the UK, it's pretty dark and it's worth noting that to my eye, the sky was black and I could just make out the tree opposite so the results are very sensitive. jpeg quality was set to 100%.

The files are here:

https://mega.nz/#F!0Bsi2CKI!54RSNIlwDDEtoag7JQpYcw

I must say I can't see any difference in sensitivity between the 108MP and 12ish MP photos. Maybe they are just crops?

I also checked the ISO range in opencam by setting to different resolutions and manually setting the ISO. The result was the same for all resolutions I tried, offering a maximum ISO of 3200.

Cheers

Attachments

• opencamera_WIDE_ALL_RES.jpg
    opencamera_WIDE_ALL_RES.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 183

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi @TF1920 I got up late today as my wife forced me to drink whiskey last night :)

I was thinking - was your comment about the night shots or the daytime comparison shots I took? I can repeat either or both no problem.

Cheers

TF1920

Nov 23, 2019
Hi @TF1920 I got up late today as my wife forced me to drink whiskey last night :)

I was thinking - was your comment about the night shots or the daytime comparison shots I took? I can repeat either or both no problem.

Cheers

To any of them, I noticed that autofocus is not working very well some times, with manual focus I always get much better results (first zoom in max > set focus > zoom out all) then shot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All

I'm away the mo, but here are some samples I've taken so far. I've posted these up as it's hard to find original res pics. There are tons of reviews with reduced size images which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I'm looking for a good scene so I can take the same shot with every lens so we can do more detailed comparisons, but this is a starter:

edit: imgur worked fine at first, but now it's reduced the resolution of the files! I've uploaded them to mega.nz here:

https://mega.nz/#F!EZMxxQbJ!lAIm7Z4JIda3wN62LmSW7w

The above link contains all the images, so don't bother with the imgur links below.

At mega.nz, right-click on an image you want and choose download to get the file in full resolution. Don't bother with Preview as this is low res.

I'm not too impressed with the ultrawide image as if you zoom in to a face, the image is very soft as far as looking out of focus. For Macro shots, I found it best to go into camera settings and turn on Focus & Shoot. If you don't it's hard to get the macro camera to focus just where you want it.

The 108MP image looks quite good and you can zoom in a long way.

As soon as I see a good shot, I'll take that photo with all lenses and do some night shots.

Cheers

Steve

Yes I have the modded opencam @TF1920 has developed. If you check out this page:

https://xdaforums.com/mi-note-10/help/camera2-api-t4011239/page4

He's posted up a screenshot of all of the available resolutions in open camera and a couple are very close to 12MP. Over the next couple of days, I'll take a shot of each resolution and maybe you could feed back your results?

Happy Xmas all.....

Steve
    I've been doing some comparisons between crops of @TF1920's current version of opencam mods and the stock cam. The reference is the brickwork on the end of a house in the middle of the picture. The comparisons have been uploaded to mega.nz with the link below. All of the comparison images file names begin with the word Comparison and each pair of images are annotated with Opencam or note10 and the lens used.
    There is also a comparison of stock camera 27mp images in jpeg and DNG format.

https://mega.nz/#F!hZUkFKgJ!8P0msMZIag0drQstokvVTA

So, here's the results:

Compare_OC_Note10_2xTele_12mp
    Note 10 crop has much more detail than opencam. I tried sharpening the opencam image, but it didn't help. In my view the note10 image is over-sharpened.

Compare_OC_Note10_5xTele_8mp
    The Note10 image has more detail than the opencam image. Not a great deal, but sharper.

Compare_OC_Note10_U_Wide
    These images seem to me, to be identical.

Compare_OC_Note10_WIDE_108mp
    There's quite a difference between these 2 images. Note10 seems to have a lot more detail. I tried sharpening the opencam image but it didn't help. Hmm....

Compare_Note10_Wide_jpeg_dng_27mp
    I found this interesting. The RAW image was much softer than the jpeg so no surprises there. However, the grass and stones looked like grass and stones in the RAW image. In the jpeg, they had suffered from over sharpening and had clear 'oil painting' effect. This gives me hope that I can use a RAW file and produce an image that is a better compromise than the over sharpened jpegs spat out by most manufacturers.

Raw Files
    It's worth noting that although the RAW files uploaded to mega.nz look very washed out with a green tint, if you view them in irfanview they look much better.

Cheers

Steve