Themes / Apps / Mods SamSprung TooUI - Cover Screen Home (FREE)

Search This thread

crawls69

Mar 29, 2015
I made another small donation. Hopefully they'll add up over time.

Without the functionality of this app, the folding screen becomes just a novelty (to me) that wears off after a while. I need the ability to do certain things on the cover screen. While I like the form factor of the phone, I don't like having to open the phone for just about everything. The constant opening and closing can become frustrating (or you could just leave it open all the time but that defeats the purpose of getting this phone).

SamSprung Cover Screen Extension to the rescue!! This is the real deal.

Keep up the good work!!

Yes now can on off at the notification.. but still got a notification shows.. click on it.. Samsprung gone.. one more, how to back after open any apps? Thanks.. really smoothly working..

The newer default setting in the app (launched from the app drawer) is to kill apps by tapping power and waiting a second or two. The other option is "System Manages App Termination" that lets the apps remain active. That one is more useful if you typically launch one app and want to keep going back until you leave the phone idle for a minute or two.

This is long overdue, but now that there may be the question, here is a list of current features -
  • App drawer that launches installed apps
  • Notification drawer that launches intents
  • Option to swap between list or grid list
  • Option to disable (hide) apps from list
  • Option to keep apps or stop on screen off
  • Full integration with the existing launcher
  • Quick toggles
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • NFC
    • Ringer
    • Do Not Disturb
    • Flashlight
  • Optional permissions
    • Storage disables wallpaper
    • Bluetooth disables toggle
    • Notifications disables DnD
    • Settings may prevent apps
    • Overlay / Accessibility required
  • Lightweight with minimal services
  • Self updating and resumes after install
  • Completely ad free and no paywalls

Last edited:
Reactions: BWA80 and tausift0
This is long overdue, but now that there may be the question, here is a list of current features -
  • App drawer that launches installed apps
  • Notification drawer that launches intents
  • Option to swap between list or grid list
  • Option to disable (hide) apps from list
  • Option to keep apps or stop on screen off
  • Full integration with the existing launcher
  • Quick toggles
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • NFC
    • Ringer
    • Do Not Disturb
    • Flashlight
  • Optional permissions
    • Storage disables wallpaper
    • Bluetooth disables toggle
    • Notifications disables DnD
    • Settings may prevent apps
    • Overlay / Accessibility required
  • Lightweight with minimal services
  • Self updating and resumes after install
  • Completely ad free and no paywalls
Hi, after last 2 updates the app crash frequently... toggles WiFi on mine crash the app everytime i tryed it, NFC the same, the others goes well, fortunatly the only that i need is DND and this goes well :)

I suggest to get the user to choice what toggle to see and if possible to make bigger the toggle, I'm 43 years old and my eyes are not so good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi!

What you think man, any chance to get normal phone lock (fingerprint, face unlock) working with this? Really need a lock and Bixby workaround is a little........ 😬

Thanks!

Samsung made that an issue by disabling a good part of the stock launcher functionality, including the option to replace it.

Hi, after last 2 updates the app crash frequently... toggles WiFi on mine crash the app everytime i tryed it, NFC the same, the others goes well, fortunatly the only that i need is DND and this goes well :)

I suggest to get the user to choice what toggle to see and if possible to make bigger the toggle, I'm 43 years old and my eyes are not so good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's currently a toolbar, which is like an actionbar (the title bar that supports buttons and the 3 dot menu) that can be placed somewhere else. That was the most reliable way to make them all the same size and evenly spaced, but the default size is not great for how the cover shrinks things. I'll see if I can make it bigger. I'm not sure why they crash, though. Are you on Android 11?

chopped0815

Jan 18, 2022
Wenn ich die aktuelle Version installiere, funktioniert es einmal, und dann ist der Bildschirm schwarz und wenn ich zweimal tippe, öffnet sich kein Launcher, erst dann wieder, wenn ich den Launcher deaktiviere und wieder aktiviere! C670d5f diese Version funktioniert bei mir ohne Probleme

Translated by GT: If I install the current version it works once and then the screen is black and double tapping doesn't open any launcher, only then does it again when I disable and re-enable the launcher! C670d5f this version works for me with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wenn ich die aktuelle Version installiere, funktioniert es einmal, und dann ist der Bildschirm schwarz und wenn ich zweimal tippe, öffnet sich kein Launcher, erst dann wieder, wenn ich den Launcher deaktiviere und wieder aktiviere! C670d5f diese Version funktioniert bei mir ohne Probleme

Translated by GT: If I install the current version it works once and then the screen is black and double tapping doesn't open any launcher, only then does it again when I disable and re-enable the launcher! C670d5f this version works for me with no problems.

Sounds like an issue with notification grouping. What apps sent notifications while you were using it and it crashed?

It's currently a toolbar, which is like an actionbar (the title bar that supports buttons and the 3 dot menu) that can be placed somewhere else. That was the most reliable way to make them all the same size and evenly spaced, but the default size is not great for how the cover shrinks things. I'll see if I can make it bigger. I'm not sure why they crash, though. Are you on Android 11?
Yes, on android 12, if I can help you to find the problem ask me something, i will reply

chopped0815

Jan 18, 2022
Yes for downloads, i have the samsprung version without the flashlight notification! Work great for me, the other version have a bug anywhere i dont know. But i love the samsprung you are great, im from germany

Yes for downloads, i have the samsprung version without the flashlight notification! Work great for me, the other version have a bug anywhere i dont know. But i love the samsprung you are great, im from germany

The post in German gave it away. I am currently working on fixing up some notification issues, along with adding navigation to avoid that annoying "turn off power to reset launcher" requirement.

So here's the rundown on some trade secrets. Facebook has chat heads. They appear above everything. Back in 1947 (or whenever it was), I made an app (Text Heads) that could do the same for any notification. Since then, a million of them popped up. The premise for those apps is the premise for most apps that use an overlay to replace the visible layout (I know what you're thinking and yes).

This launcher "exploits" the ability to launch apps on the cover screen and a listener for the screen on and cover display to launch itself, which is how we have integration with the existing launcher.

Now that you understand the how and why, the next update will make more sense. We are going to revive the idea of chat heads as an actual extension. It will be a floating window over the stock launcher that launches the app. It will be the same floating window that returns to the launcher from other apps. With that, we will achieve full integration and remove all the elaborate screen on and off garbage between uses.

Reactions: BWA80 and D4rk4

chopped0815

Jan 18, 2022
new updates not working for me, double tap on coverscreen no samsprung open! Old version work great i dont know!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

nunchucks-karate.gif

With all this discussion about finding workarounds, everyone knows that SamSprung is free, right? Nobody needs to be saved from downloading an app without signing up, installing it without a credit card, and using it without being nagged to subscribe.
    Accidentally stumbled on how to make multi-window mode work on the cover screen, so that's neat. Not sure how useful that is, but it was fun to toss some apps around.
    Orientation control and self destruct. Got it.
    I need to stop wandering outside this thread. It's tinfoil as far as the eye can see out there.
    That being said about Samsprung being free makes me wonder why in the world everyone wouldn't donate to you? It's a very functional and totally useful app. I know for sure that you've put many, many hours into it. Fixing bugs, adding features, etc. takes so much time (and you probably have a real job too).
    Just forego even one Starbucks latte or an overpriced candy bar or whatever and give this Dev some appreciation!

nunchucks-karate.gif

With all this discussion about finding workarounds, everyone knows that SamSprung is free, right? Nobody needs to be saved from downloading an app without signing up, installing it without a credit card, and using it without being nagged to subscribe.
    feature_graphic.png

Welcome to the original Z Flip 3 launcher.
    A complete home experience on the cover screen.

This is the next innovation in cover screen apps. After pioneering the widget launcher, this app has evolved into a full parallel launcher and continues to revolutionize the cover screen.

This launcher adds cover screen support for full notifications with actions, apps, widgets, quick toggles, voice launch, custom screen timeouts, animated wallpapers, and more.

TooUI began and remains the only cover screen app to fully integrate with the stock launcher, bypassing the limitations of the widget interface or attempting to replace the existing home functionality.

The Android 12 version is backward compatible, but the widget is not compatible with Android 12

Samsung Health replacement widget (Android 11) -

Thanks @CarudiBu for discovering the workaround to load a custom widget.

See the GitHub README for setup and usage information​

setup_notice_full.png

If a picture is worth 1000 words, it would take hundreds to match the code being written.

appdrawer.pngnotifications.pngnavigation.png

fingerprint.pngkeyboard.png
    In all fairness, I don't think i've explained why the limitations are what they are and should probably have done that a while ago.

The cover screen is effectively like plugging in a second screen on a previous S or Note series phone. DeX is effectively a secondary home launcher. Since this screen is part of the phone, instead of connected by a cable, a second launcher is used instead of DeX.

The outer screen supports a second launcher, such as Nova or Smart Launcher 5. It also supports a primary launcher having a secondary launcher activity. Samsung, on the other hand, has disabled this support in favor of a hardcoded launcher that's built into the firmware.

Samsung's launcher has been broken into the home screen, which is the clock selection, and widget pages. It's been further limited by only allowing certain widgets to be available on the widget pages.

Being a system app signed by Samsung, they've gone a step further. The widgets allowed must system apps or signed by Samsung, as well. One loophole exists, which is Samsung Health. It does not need to be a system app, since you can install it from Google Play. It also doesn't need to be signed by Samsung for whatever reason. It does, however, still need to match up with the expected widget inside the expected app.

This app takes advantage of the loopholes by using the specific component name (package / package.activity) of the Samsung Health widget and the package for Samsung Health. Because of this, the app must also be a widget, though. It cannot be a full launcher.

Widget functionality is limited, but can support launching apps. This is another loophole that uses the widget list support to act as a fake launcher. Since the core launcher behind the widgets is still a launcher, it will launch apps on the cover screen.

Like a normal Android screen, configuration changes are handled by the current activity being displayed. In this case, that would be whatever app is launched. The widget gets taken along for the ride. To minimize the impact of the launched app, the widget is designed to ignore any configuration changes, which would usually trigger the list to refresh.

A few unique problems exist because of the cover screen being composed of widgets. One is that they do not follow the expected life cycle of a widget. They are not refreshed when they appear, which is why a swipe is sometimes needed to make list items clickable. Another is that they cannot perform any of the prep an activity provides, such as handling the lock screen. When an activity requests overriding the lock screen, it only extends to the activity and not to any it launched.

This leaves us with what you see. A widget that exploits a bunch of loopholes within the limitations of the widget framework.
    Done. Now you can hide / unhide apps for the widget with a long press on the item (in the app settings).
    Widgets on the cover screen are granted Settings.canDrawOverlays without the need for permission approval from the user?

With the option off in the app settings, the app never requested the permission and instead simply verified that it was already granted. That is interesting...

and now the big news:

Portrait apps may now be fully functional, if my testing is correct.

The permission approval button when launching the app from the drawer shouldn't be required, but it exists in case it will help with any finicky apps / devices. It will request system settings and overlay permissions.

System settings permission will allow the widget to temporarily disable the automatic rotation option, while the overlay permission creates a fake view over the widget that is locked in portrait and steals focus from the widget to avoid it forcing the layout back to landscape. This will not, however, prevent apps with landscape support from functioning normally.

A new caveat I found is that, when charging, tapping power and waiting won't exit the current app. I do not intend to address this right now. The reason being that the controls to have the power button return to the widget also force a screen timeout to return to the widget and can cause issues with the app being displayed when opening the phone.

A quick and dirty workaround to change apps when charging is to simply open the phone a bit. This will reset the widget without breaking the expected functionality.

As it stands, the power button and a timeout will not kill the current app unless they exceed two seconds and will not kill the app at all when charging. This allows long-term use of a single app, which fits most use cases. Other options to switch apps, such as volume button overrides, are also being explored.

@ChrisChoi314 it appears your list of incompatible apps was lost in the cleanup. If you still find any, you can post the list on the issue for it.

For now, the plan is to keep working on some things I don't want to advertise for fear Samsung will go and ruin them before I find answers.