Themes / Apps / Mods SamSprung TooUI - Cover Screen Home (FREE)

Search This thread
Jun 8, 2010
Instacrashes for me on c5028a3. Using A12 on Samsung Galaxy Flip 3. I've tried giving it permissions but it still closes. Does the auto disable lock screen trick not work anymore? I mean when you use something like AutoInput to remove the lock screen in trusted places...

Edit: nevermind, had to manually enable allow on top

Few... like Malaysia covid apps... WhatsApp.. Telegram...

I can't test the covid app, but WhatsApp and Telegram still seemed to have a button. Telegram allowed me to do all the sign in stuff on the cover. WhatsApp had a meltdown in general. Crashed Package Manager and wouldn't allow me to uninstall it after. Go Facebook...

Alright... With the esception of storage and bluetooth (due to optimized checking and calling), the settings are now split out into individual checks. This allows you to skip being bothered with items you didn't want and avoid being bombarded with popups trying to start the thing. The master switch only really requires one permission, anyway.

chopped0815

Jan 18, 2022
New release is not working for me! Same problem, it runs 2 times an then is not opening samsprung on double tap

Clusco

tried others apps... fotmob, able to open it... to scroll down... but when click kt Samsprung to back to apps list.... it shows the apps list a while, 1 second... then back to the open apps... click again... same too.... shows 1 second then back to that apps....

yeah same things happened... open n off such as flashlight... then swipe back to main screen... off the screen... on back... still got Samsprung... after again.... Samsprung gone, need to open phone.. open Samsprung... close flip, now it shows...
tried others apps... fotmob, able to open it... to scroll down... but when click kt Samsprung to back to apps list.... it shows the apps list a while, 1 second... then back to the open apps... click again... same too.... shows 1 second then back to that apps....

There is very little I can do if it crashes for you, but not for me and I don't have any sort of log or error message.

There is very little I can do if it crashes for you, but not for me and I don't have any sort of log or error message.
Wow, fantastic that now there is the possibility to go back to menù from some apps!!! And great the clock and battery level on notification panel!!! Only problem is that the app is not stable, crashes after 1 or 2 times that i use it. I'm sending in private the logcat

chopped0815

Jan 18, 2022
This release works better, but the screen is frozen and when it works 3 times samsprung will not open by double tap!

Twistedumbrella,

Just an update. The "wawa" convenience store app is the one that launches in portrait mode, camera down.

Also, i had the black screen problem too and found that the bixby fingerprint unlock wasn't unlocking the phone consistently. If it went to blackscreen, the only way to get samsprung to work again was relaunch it as the handler notification was missing. Then it seemed to work. I went and reset all the permissions, toggle off and then back on again, for good measure.

crawls69

Mar 29, 2015
This happens to me but ONLY for apps that are locked to portrait mode (meaning the app doesn't rotate on the main display even when the phone is set to auto-rotate). When I open a portrait-locked app on the cover screen, it displays sideways (obviously). When I click samsprung, the screen just flickers to the app list for a moment then returns to the portrait-locked app.

When I was on Android 11 I used Good Lock (specifically, the "rotate with our best" rotation function in multistar), and selected the portrait-locked apps. That caused those apps to display in landscape mode when launched on the cover screen. However, Good Lock is not producing that result on Android 12...

chopped0815

Jan 18, 2022
This build is great but the samsprung icon in the left of the top is path in a few minutes and then not working it! After switching off samsprung it works again

This build is great but the samsprung icon in the left of the top is path in a few minutes and then not working it! After switching off samsprung it works again

You've had an issue with every build, but have not provided any of the requested information to fix them. My only choice is to disregard them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, after a couple insightful comments, such as "doesn't work" and "waste of time", it's clear there are a few too many recent users that aren't grasping you have to enable the main switch for the launcher to appear.

Now you can't exit the app when it's disabled without first being warned about it. I'd love to say it was because the process was too elaborate, but the reality is that you can't simplify things enough for some.
    Hello! This version (SamSprung-8509e55) cannot be opened and used normally after installation. What is the [email protected]twistedumbrella

That's an odd choice of question. I typically don't sabotage my apps, but I do usually include a way to submit or retrieve logs in them. This one is no different. The top right button labeled "Support" does exactly that.

Keep in mind, I cannot enable the permissions on your behalf and you will not find the app in the cover screen widget list. These are two of the biggest reasons for most reports that the app will not open.
    feature_graphic.png

Welcome to the original Z Flip 3 launcher.
    A complete home experience on the cover screen.

This is the next innovation in cover screen apps. After pioneering the widget launcher, this app has evolved into a full parallel launcher and continues to revolutionize the cover screen.

This launcher adds cover screen support for full notifications with actions, apps, widgets, quick toggles, voice launch, custom screen timeouts, animated wallpapers, and more.

TooUI began and remains the only cover screen app to fully integrate with the stock launcher, bypassing the limitations of the widget interface or attempting to replace the existing home functionality.

The Android 12 version is backward compatible, but the widget is not compatible with Android 12

Samsung Health replacement widget (Android 11) -

Thanks @CarudiBu for discovering the workaround to load a custom widget.

See the GitHub README for setup and usage information​

setup_notice_full.png

If a picture is worth 1000 words, it would take hundreds to match the code being written.

appdrawer.pngnotifications.pngnavigation.png

fingerprint.pngkeyboard.png
    In all fairness, I don't think i've explained why the limitations are what they are and should probably have done that a while ago.

The cover screen is effectively like plugging in a second screen on a previous S or Note series phone. DeX is effectively a secondary home launcher. Since this screen is part of the phone, instead of connected by a cable, a second launcher is used instead of DeX.

The outer screen supports a second launcher, such as Nova or Smart Launcher 5. It also supports a primary launcher having a secondary launcher activity. Samsung, on the other hand, has disabled this support in favor of a hardcoded launcher that's built into the firmware.

Samsung's launcher has been broken into the home screen, which is the clock selection, and widget pages. It's been further limited by only allowing certain widgets to be available on the widget pages.

Being a system app signed by Samsung, they've gone a step further. The widgets allowed must system apps or signed by Samsung, as well. One loophole exists, which is Samsung Health. It does not need to be a system app, since you can install it from Google Play. It also doesn't need to be signed by Samsung for whatever reason. It does, however, still need to match up with the expected widget inside the expected app.

This app takes advantage of the loopholes by using the specific component name (package / package.activity) of the Samsung Health widget and the package for Samsung Health. Because of this, the app must also be a widget, though. It cannot be a full launcher.

Widget functionality is limited, but can support launching apps. This is another loophole that uses the widget list support to act as a fake launcher. Since the core launcher behind the widgets is still a launcher, it will launch apps on the cover screen.

Like a normal Android screen, configuration changes are handled by the current activity being displayed. In this case, that would be whatever app is launched. The widget gets taken along for the ride. To minimize the impact of the launched app, the widget is designed to ignore any configuration changes, which would usually trigger the list to refresh.

A few unique problems exist because of the cover screen being composed of widgets. One is that they do not follow the expected life cycle of a widget. They are not refreshed when they appear, which is why a swipe is sometimes needed to make list items clickable. Another is that they cannot perform any of the prep an activity provides, such as handling the lock screen. When an activity requests overriding the lock screen, it only extends to the activity and not to any it launched.

This leaves us with what you see. A widget that exploits a bunch of loopholes within the limitations of the widget framework.
    Done. Now you can hide / unhide apps for the widget with a long press on the item (in the app settings).
    Widgets on the cover screen are granted Settings.canDrawOverlays without the need for permission approval from the user?

With the option off in the app settings, the app never requested the permission and instead simply verified that it was already granted. That is interesting...

and now the big news:

Portrait apps may now be fully functional, if my testing is correct.

The permission approval button when launching the app from the drawer shouldn't be required, but it exists in case it will help with any finicky apps / devices. It will request system settings and overlay permissions.

System settings permission will allow the widget to temporarily disable the automatic rotation option, while the overlay permission creates a fake view over the widget that is locked in portrait and steals focus from the widget to avoid it forcing the layout back to landscape. This will not, however, prevent apps with landscape support from functioning normally.

A new caveat I found is that, when charging, tapping power and waiting won't exit the current app. I do not intend to address this right now. The reason being that the controls to have the power button return to the widget also force a screen timeout to return to the widget and can cause issues with the app being displayed when opening the phone.

A quick and dirty workaround to change apps when charging is to simply open the phone a bit. This will reset the widget without breaking the expected functionality.

As it stands, the power button and a timeout will not kill the current app unless they exceed two seconds and will not kill the app at all when charging. This allows long-term use of a single app, which fits most use cases. Other options to switch apps, such as volume button overrides, are also being explored.

@ChrisChoi314 it appears your list of incompatible apps was lost in the cleanup. If you still find any, you can post the list on the issue for it.

For now, the plan is to keep working on some things I don't want to advertise for fear Samsung will go and ruin them before I find answers.