Themes / Apps / Mods SamSprung TooUI - Cover Screen Home (FREE)

Search This thread

kashortiexda

Jan 12, 2011
Yes I did :(
checking @latest on github a hundred times per day lol
and A12 here too

Now that I know that yours is working, I'm pretty sure it's someting on my side
I will try to figure out what's different on my setup
Already tried all rotation modes, don't seem to affect the cover screen
Yeah, the rotation modes don't seem to work on some apps, I believe because they are hard coded portrait. I just tried to rotate IG on main screen, no rotate.
I'm amazed yours even rotated on cover screen to landscape. Try clear cache and data and reinstall ?

Gunde

Jul 12, 2007
Only issue I am experiencing is that it always only works once.
Launch an app and go back, no SamSprung until screen off/on.
Hide the navbar, no SamSprung until screen off/on.

blade1500

Aug 13, 2014
I have a problem sometimes when I go on certain apps it goes to a black screen so then I have then I reboot my phone and the apps work

I have a problem sometimes when I go on certain apps it goes to a black screen so then I have then I reboot my phone and the apps work

You don't really have to reboot your phone, though. Just open recents and close the app. It sounds like the app being launched is crashing before this one gets to reset the task.

Scaling enhancement is done. Toggle in the app settings.

Screenshot_20220125-220907_CoverScreen.png

Screenshot_20220125-220921_CoverScreen.png

The app icons will remain the same, but the menus and text will zoom

Disclaimer: The dynamic scale library is proprietary copyrighted code

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2010
Just tried the latest build - it force closes immediately, even with all the permissions allowed (accessibility included).

I'm on the Flip 3, Android 12, version SamSprung-09688ce-signed

If you have a random issue (not a clear crash - one that pops up) and don't fill in the description, there is a good chance I will have no idea what we are looking at.

Note to Samsung Pay users: swipe from the very bottom of the cover to open the menu. Aim about a quarter of the way up to open Samsung Pay. If you open Pay accidentally, swipe down to close it. It gets easier with practice, but they can coexist.

Last edited:
Reactions: android_htc

blade1500

Aug 13, 2014
I know why I was getting a black screen is because I had lockscreen set to swipe instead of none it would be great if we could have a password on it but think that would be too much to ask or to hard to make on the small screen

Great job
It's just getting better everyday !!!
It would be nice with the possibility to add shortcuts/widgets to run macro's from Macrodroid, Tasker, Shortcut Maker and similar
But again really good Work
Love it

Maintaining a collection of third-party integrations is a bit outside the scope of a free launcher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, after a couple insightful comments, such as "doesn't work" and "waste of time", it's clear there are a few too many recent users that aren't grasping you have to enable the main switch for the launcher to appear.

Now you can't exit the app when it's disabled without first being warned about it. I'd love to say it was because the process was too elaborate, but the reality is that you can't simplify things enough for some.
    Hello! This version (SamSprung-8509e55) cannot be opened and used normally after installation. What is the [email protected]twistedumbrella

That's an odd choice of question. I typically don't sabotage my apps, but I do usually include a way to submit or retrieve logs in them. This one is no different. The top right button labeled "Support" does exactly that.

Keep in mind, I cannot enable the permissions on your behalf and you will not find the app in the cover screen widget list. These are two of the biggest reasons for most reports that the app will not open.
    feature_graphic.png

Welcome to the original Z Flip 3 launcher.
    A complete home experience on the cover screen.

This is the next innovation in cover screen apps. After pioneering the widget launcher, this app has evolved into a full parallel launcher and continues to revolutionize the cover screen.

This launcher adds cover screen support for full notifications with actions, apps, widgets, quick toggles, voice launch, custom screen timeouts, animated wallpapers, and more.

TooUI began and remains the only cover screen app to fully integrate with the stock launcher, bypassing the limitations of the widget interface or attempting to replace the existing home functionality.

The Android 12 version is backward compatible, but the widget is not compatible with Android 12

Samsung Health replacement widget (Android 11) -

Thanks @CarudiBu for discovering the workaround to load a custom widget.

See the GitHub README for setup and usage information​

setup_notice_full.png

If a picture is worth 1000 words, it would take hundreds to match the code being written.

appdrawer.pngnotifications.pngnavigation.png

fingerprint.pngkeyboard.png
    In all fairness, I don't think i've explained why the limitations are what they are and should probably have done that a while ago.

The cover screen is effectively like plugging in a second screen on a previous S or Note series phone. DeX is effectively a secondary home launcher. Since this screen is part of the phone, instead of connected by a cable, a second launcher is used instead of DeX.

The outer screen supports a second launcher, such as Nova or Smart Launcher 5. It also supports a primary launcher having a secondary launcher activity. Samsung, on the other hand, has disabled this support in favor of a hardcoded launcher that's built into the firmware.

Samsung's launcher has been broken into the home screen, which is the clock selection, and widget pages. It's been further limited by only allowing certain widgets to be available on the widget pages.

Being a system app signed by Samsung, they've gone a step further. The widgets allowed must system apps or signed by Samsung, as well. One loophole exists, which is Samsung Health. It does not need to be a system app, since you can install it from Google Play. It also doesn't need to be signed by Samsung for whatever reason. It does, however, still need to match up with the expected widget inside the expected app.

This app takes advantage of the loopholes by using the specific component name (package / package.activity) of the Samsung Health widget and the package for Samsung Health. Because of this, the app must also be a widget, though. It cannot be a full launcher.

Widget functionality is limited, but can support launching apps. This is another loophole that uses the widget list support to act as a fake launcher. Since the core launcher behind the widgets is still a launcher, it will launch apps on the cover screen.

Like a normal Android screen, configuration changes are handled by the current activity being displayed. In this case, that would be whatever app is launched. The widget gets taken along for the ride. To minimize the impact of the launched app, the widget is designed to ignore any configuration changes, which would usually trigger the list to refresh.

A few unique problems exist because of the cover screen being composed of widgets. One is that they do not follow the expected life cycle of a widget. They are not refreshed when they appear, which is why a swipe is sometimes needed to make list items clickable. Another is that they cannot perform any of the prep an activity provides, such as handling the lock screen. When an activity requests overriding the lock screen, it only extends to the activity and not to any it launched.

This leaves us with what you see. A widget that exploits a bunch of loopholes within the limitations of the widget framework.
    Done. Now you can hide / unhide apps for the widget with a long press on the item (in the app settings).
    Widgets on the cover screen are granted Settings.canDrawOverlays without the need for permission approval from the user?

With the option off in the app settings, the app never requested the permission and instead simply verified that it was already granted. That is interesting...

and now the big news:

Portrait apps may now be fully functional, if my testing is correct.

The permission approval button when launching the app from the drawer shouldn't be required, but it exists in case it will help with any finicky apps / devices. It will request system settings and overlay permissions.

System settings permission will allow the widget to temporarily disable the automatic rotation option, while the overlay permission creates a fake view over the widget that is locked in portrait and steals focus from the widget to avoid it forcing the layout back to landscape. This will not, however, prevent apps with landscape support from functioning normally.

A new caveat I found is that, when charging, tapping power and waiting won't exit the current app. I do not intend to address this right now. The reason being that the controls to have the power button return to the widget also force a screen timeout to return to the widget and can cause issues with the app being displayed when opening the phone.

A quick and dirty workaround to change apps when charging is to simply open the phone a bit. This will reset the widget without breaking the expected functionality.

As it stands, the power button and a timeout will not kill the current app unless they exceed two seconds and will not kill the app at all when charging. This allows long-term use of a single app, which fits most use cases. Other options to switch apps, such as volume button overrides, are also being explored.

@ChrisChoi314 it appears your list of incompatible apps was lost in the cleanup. If you still find any, you can post the list on the issue for it.

For now, the plan is to keep working on some things I don't want to advertise for fear Samsung will go and ruin them before I find answers.