Themes / Apps / Mods SamSprung TooUI - Cover Screen Home (FREE) [ZF3]

Search This thread
Should have a choice on where the nav bar is so like on the right or left hand side or at the bottom

Doesn't seem worth the amount of code and instability

Besides, the system nav bar is always on the bottom of the current view orientation. It's supposed to replicate that.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnny8910
ok i see what you mean

It is a good idea (and I did experiment with it), but it turned into a mess without making it something that could be dragged around at runtime.

A lot of the layouts for the current setup are based on where it fits over most apps and how it will work with their UI. It is really hard to drag a view around that is fundamentally non-existent until it's opened (and when it's open, that is a lot of overhead to move it).

NyaBentley

Jan 28, 2022
I downloaded the most recent Samsprung-ToolUI from github and installed it. I gave it all the permissions it asked for, including overlay, but whenever I close my phone and check the screen, all I see are my regular widgets I have android 12. Is there anything I'm missing? Do I need to download the previous version for Android 11 along with the latest one to make it work?

It's the same link from the first post of xda, the repo, etc...

@NyaBentley I'll paste it into the issue you just submitted so hopefully you check one of them before finding a third way to post it.

Last edited:

Gunde

Jul 12, 2007
Wow, what a difference a few days made. Love it. Intuitive, stabile and great features. Truly what should have been there from the start by Samsung.

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Cool little keyboard, will wait to see what the use case for it is. The wiki was very helpful for me to understand how to operate this, and I've been using it a lot, especially for the low low price of free. Many thanks to to the developer for continuing to push out updates at a dizzying pace, each of them incrementally better. :)

For me, once I enabled Samsung Pay on the cover screen I still have troubles distinguishing between the swipe up to start SamSprung and the swipe up for Samsung Pay. I believe it's based on where you start the swipe but at least half the time I get it wrong, especially when I'm trying to pay and instead swipe up Samsprung.

Is it possible (as an option of course, not for all since not everybody uses Samsung Pay) to have the Samsprung Launcher have a button to go to the Samsung Pay on the cover screen? If not possible or not worth it, completely understand, but just asking.

Thanks!

kashortiexda

Jan 12, 2011
If I try enter text (in WhatsApp or Telegram for example) by bringing up the keyboard, it looks like this....
Reinstalled and rebooted and tried different scaling, no joy... (7fef663)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-170224_CoverScreen.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-170224_CoverScreen.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

kashortiexda

Jan 12, 2011
On homescreen, though, if I just tap keyboard icon, it looks like this...
I've read the wiki but didn't see anything on how else to use the keyboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-170008_CoverScreen.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-170008_CoverScreen.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the project that started a revolution.
    A complete home experience on the cover screen.
    Compatible with all 1" or larger cover screens.​

This project began as a replacement for the Samsung Health widget that allowed launching apps. It has since grown into a full overlay that works alongside the stock launcher on multiple devices, inspiring the release of other launchers and even a Good Lock widget along the way.

TooUI adds cover screen support for apps, full notifications, widgets, quick toggles, voice launch, custom screen timeout, animated wallpapers, and more without recording how you choose to use it. Even our bug reports are filtered with your privacy in mind.

Compatible with Samsung Health and lock screens.
    Fingerprint unlock must be used with a secure lock.

Notice: Due to an Android 13 bug, touch is not passed to the stock launcher when TooUI is minimized. Double tap the SamSprung icon to temporarily disable the launcher until the screen is turned off.

See the SamSprung site for setup and usage information​

feature_graphic.png

drawer.pngnotifications.pngtoggles.pngwidgets.pngnavigation.png
    In all fairness, I don't think i've explained why the limitations are what they are and should probably have done that a while ago.

The cover screen is effectively like plugging in a second screen on a previous S or Note series phone. DeX is effectively a secondary home launcher. Since this screen is part of the phone, instead of connected by a cable, a second launcher is used instead of DeX.

The outer screen supports a second launcher, such as Nova or Smart Launcher 5. It also supports a primary launcher having a secondary launcher activity. Samsung, on the other hand, has disabled this support in favor of a hardcoded launcher that's built into the firmware.

Samsung's launcher has been broken into the home screen, which is the clock selection, and widget pages. It's been further limited by only allowing certain widgets to be available on the widget pages.

Being a system app signed by Samsung, they've gone a step further. The widgets allowed must system apps or signed by Samsung, as well. One loophole exists, which is Samsung Health. It does not need to be a system app, since you can install it from Google Play. It also doesn't need to be signed by Samsung for whatever reason. It does, however, still need to match up with the expected widget inside the expected app.

This app takes advantage of the loopholes by using the specific component name (package / package.activity) of the Samsung Health widget and the package for Samsung Health. Because of this, the app must also be a widget, though. It cannot be a full launcher.

Widget functionality is limited, but can support launching apps. This is another loophole that uses the widget list support to act as a fake launcher. Since the core launcher behind the widgets is still a launcher, it will launch apps on the cover screen.

Like a normal Android screen, configuration changes are handled by the current activity being displayed. In this case, that would be whatever app is launched. The widget gets taken along for the ride. To minimize the impact of the launched app, the widget is designed to ignore any configuration changes, which would usually trigger the list to refresh.

A few unique problems exist because of the cover screen being composed of widgets. One is that they do not follow the expected life cycle of a widget. They are not refreshed when they appear, which is why a swipe is sometimes needed to make list items clickable. Another is that they cannot perform any of the prep an activity provides, such as handling the lock screen. When an activity requests overriding the lock screen, it only extends to the activity and not to any it launched.

This leaves us with what you see. A widget that exploits a bunch of loopholes within the limitations of the widget framework.
    SamSprung was released one year ago today as the first app launcher for the cover screen. With nearly 2000 new downloads per version and over 800 builds released, we have reached over 1 million downloads. Cheers!
    Done. Now you can hide / unhide apps for the widget with a long press on the item (in the app settings).
    For now, the plan is to keep working on some things I don't want to advertise for fear Samsung will go and ruin them before I find answers.