Samsung 10.1 gt-n8010 stuck on TWRP loop

Search This thread

Nektarin87

Sep 26, 2015
Hi everyone!

I'm using a Samsung gt-n8010. It could be done for due to the age, but maybe there is still hope.

My problem is that the tablet boots always to TWRP recovery and I can switch to download mode as well. Everything seems all right, internal storage and sd card shows exactly how they should, BUT... I can't do anything in TWRP. If I have the Keep system partition read only unticked, it still says the storage is read only and /data/media is not accessable. I can see it and access it with TWRP File manager. I tried flashing ROM and Recovery, also stockROM with Odin, but Failed. Clearing Cache, Data, Dalvik... also ends up with error. Format Data works, and also changing the partition types, but when I reboot device, it all comes back the same as before, no changes take effect. In Download mode I tried to use Adb from computer terminal, but it was stuck saying 'Waiting for device'. If Tab is in Recovery my PC shows both internal storage and sd card, but the internal storage is empty when I open it.
For details: I use Lineage OS 18.1 with TWRP 3.6.1_9-0. On my computer I use Linux Mint 20.3, but I tried with a laptop using Win10 as well, no success.
I've read many solutions on 'Unmodified system partition' or some had 0MB internal storage problem, but in my case that is different, as I have them all, but it seems all is read only and not accessable. I even tried to have the last Backup (2 month old) set using Restore of TWRP, but during the process, the tablet reboots and TWRP comes up again. I can't even turn it off, as TWRP comes up after some minutes.

Please help me somehow to be able to use the Tablet. If you need any further details, just tell me.

leathan

Sep 15, 2013
TWRP is not out yet on android 12, if you have it as of writing it wont be able to unencrypt your device. So all you can do is use it to install roms (YOU MUST FIRST FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE).

I also have never used odin as I have prefered adb

Code:
adb shell
/sbin/recovery --wipe_data
/sbin/recovery --update_package=SDCARD:romname.zip

adb should work in twrp?

Reactions: Nektarin87

Nektarin87

Sep 26, 2015
I see your point. I intended to change/downgrade LineageOS version, but I was not successful. Now I am not able to do a factory reset either with success from TWRP, but I give a try to your adb codes. Give me some time :)

Nektarin87

Sep 26, 2015
TWRP is not out yet on android 12, if you have it as of writing it wont be able to unencrypt your device. So all you can do is use it to install roms (YOU MUST FIRST FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE).

Code:
adb shell

adb should work in twrp?
Hi, I gave a try to that code both on TWRP and Linux terminal (from PC). But no effect :( First I did a FactoryWipe (successful) and went back to the Terminal each time. I tried with ROM zip and TWRP img as well, but after rebooting, TWRP 3.6.1 comes back again. I downloaded Lineage OS 17.1 (with GAPPS pico) and TWRP 3.5.0-9. It seems somehow I got stuck with that TWRP 3.6 and all I get on every attempt of flashing or wiping is it can't see '/data/media (No such file or directory)' or 'Unable to make /cache/recovery: Read-only file system'. I hope there would be a solution to get my system out of Read-only state :(

leathan

Sep 15, 2013
Hi, I gave a try to that code both on TWRP and Linux terminal (from PC).
Do you have adb installed and do you see your phone when you type "
Code:
adb devices
"

Usually its as simple as just booting into TWRP -> Factory reset then install the rom and done.

Maybe you do need odin but im pretty sure you can use adb instead like I outlined above, I hated using odin but if you find the right file it should also fix your issue.

What is the codename for your tablet? I cant find it on lineageos's site, what guide did you use its an official lineageos im assuming?

Nektarin87

Sep 26, 2015
Do you have adb installed and do you see your phone when you type "
Code:
adb devices
"

Usually its as simple as just booting into TWRP -> Factory reset then install the rom and done.

Maybe you do need odin but im pretty sure you can use adb instead like I outlined above, I hated using odin but if you find the right file it should also fix your issue.

What is the codename for your tablet? I cant find it on lineageos's site, what guide did you use its an official lineageos im assuming?
Well, I have adb installed, but as my Tablet can only load in recovery it says like these:

adb devices
List of devices attached
4107cd04a2b611b5 recovery

When I load Odin or fastload mode (Download mode as tablet says) I can not list it with 'Fastboot device" command. It says 'waiting for device'.

My tablet is Samsung gt-n8010 (10.1) and I follow this thread to make changes:

I had Lineage OS 18.1 installed and maybe what caused the issue is that I did not update the TWRP, or we do not have a TWRP ready for it yet, but currently I have TWRP 3.6.1_9-0 installed and stuck with. As I mentioned, on rebooting tablet always starts with TWRP, asking if I want system read only or not with an Unmodified system partition heading. I can not boot OS at all, I can go to Download mode, but Odin always failed indicating my system is read-only.

leathan

Sep 15, 2013
Ok yes your device is listed as recovery because it has not booted anything. I'm not sure if the commands I gave work without the system actually booting however.

After you entered adb commands there was no error text?

Also if you cant get odin to recognize your phone (RUN IT AS ADMINISTRATOR) you should figure out that first as thats a last resort fix when you really mess things up which I dont think you have yet. I think you must have something off in your configuration if its not reading anything make sure u can access another phone to rule out your pc, but get this working asap.

Usually if your device boot loops you can wipe the cache, and now days remove magisk modules.

If your device still boots straight to recovery It should be as easy as I outlined above, try not isntalling the apps/plugins after the initial rom, and again make sure you wipe cache/data before hand.

If your device boots straight to the bootloader then your left with Odin.

Last edited:

leathan

Sep 15, 2013
Man I hate video guides. But it looks good (unless he forgot to wipe) should have been as simple as that. He does not however provide you with the firmware (not rom) file that I believe you are going to need if you improperly downgraded the android a full version number. Post on his youtube and find that firmware file and fix your odin connection and flash it. If odin is also dead I have no idea but I have never in nearly 20 years had a phone fully brick even when I try to brick them. But I know it can be possible but your most likely going to recover from this.

If he doesn't respond just read more and learn, you may need some specific large file though to flash over what I believe may now be missing partitions entirely.

Maybe someone else here can help too. Good luck!

Last edited:

Nektarin87

Sep 26, 2015
Man I hate video guides. But it looks good (unless he forgot to wipe) should have been as simple as that. He does not however provide you with the firmware (not rom) file that I believe you are going to need if you improperly downgraded the android a full version number. Post on his youtube and find that firmware file and fix your odin connection and flash it. If odin is also dead I have no idea but I have never in nearly 20 years had a phone fully brick even when I try to brick them. But I know it can be possible but your most likely going to recover from this.

If he doesn't respond just read more and learn, you may need some specific large file though to flash over what I believe may now be missing partitions entirely.

Maybe someone else here can help too. Good luck!
Hi there, I actually find some videos or instructions useful and some helped me out a lot. But as always, things can only be proper if anyone is qualified to do it or when you have the exact same issue on the device. Now back to my case...
I tried many ways, many aspects, but none helped me out. There was this good and working Samsung 10.1 gt-n8010 and one afternoon I found it turned off. When I charged it for a while I turned it on and all it could load is TWRP and I could not do anything. It seems to be working, but I could not see internal storage, while it showed all the 12 GB amount I had, so the issue is not that it shows 0 GB like in many videos. I tried to wipe cache, data, system, even change partition types, all ended with a fail saying my 'system is read only'. I also tried to use Odin and Heimdall to flash new recovery and ROM, also gave a chance to stockRom with android 4.1 or 4.4, but in all cases it said FAILED. To conclude all: I think it could be a hardware issue and as the machine is more the 10 yrs of age, it would not be a surprise, but it's a same it can't be flashed.
If anyone had a similar issue or may have suggestions I'm all ears and the thread remaines, but I am out of ideas at the moment and put my Samsung tab on the shelves.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    adb shell

adb should work in twrp?