• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

samsung A20 (a205f) root please

Search This thread

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney
Update of a method for those who are interested.
Root SM-A205YN

https://youtu.be/vcZEgto8-wc

What I've done so far

A. Prepare boot image

1. Download magisk manager apk
2. Download June update rom for phone from Samfrew https://samfrew.com/model/SM-A205YN/region/VAP/ (original not available for my model through samfirmware.net )
3. Use zarchiver to copy AP_205xxxxxxxx.md5 to download directory. It will extract it from the zip.
4. Rename AP_205xxxxxxxx.md5 to AP_205xxxxxxx.rar and extract using zarchiver
5. Copy boot.img.Iz4 to download directory and extract (resulting in boot.img)
6. Use magisk manager to patch boot.img (use top install) result magisk_patched.img
7. Rename magisk_patched.img to boot.img
9. Use zarchiver to compress boot.img to boot.tar
10. Copy boot.tar to Mac.
11. On phone developer options in settings unlock OEM and enable usb debugging

B. Unlock bootloader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDS9K7JCrk
12. Backup data. It will be wiped.
13. Turn phone off
14. Hold down vol+ vol-
15. Long press vol+
16. Press vol+

I'm up to here

17. Press power key
18. Reenter data, apps etc

C. Flash boot image.

19. Turn phone on download mode (Hold down vol+ vol-)
20. Connect phone to pc
May need to install Samsung usb drivers??
21. Use JOdin (Mac version of Odin) to add boot.tar to phone (use PDA)
22. Restart phone
23. Hold power and vol+ to enter recovery mode.
24. Select wipe/reset data
25. Restart phone
26. Run magisk manager
27. If green phone is rooted.
28. Of red select install/direct install
29. Advanced tick both.
30. Install root checker and verify root

Last edited:

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Can we flash a different firmware from a different region? Like a20u to a20f, vice versa. We're able to on Motorola devices. I flashed the best buy version firmware on my moto g7 power with no issues.

Unfortunately. Like Motorola there's fastboot access on their devices. Seems Samsung uses odin for all flashing needs. LG uses LGUp tool and some of their devices have fastboot. I'm new to Samsung coming from LG and Moto. I left LG alone cant root easy with them unless you buy flagship. I still love Moto but need better screen quality. So Samsung came with this phone a20 and I like the phone alot. Need root though.

Last edited:

siiik_

Oct 22, 2017
Can we flash a different firmware from a different region? Like a20u to a20f, vice versa. We're able to on Motorola devices. I flashed the best buy version firmware on my moto g7 power with no issues.

Unfortunately. Like Motorola there's fastboot access on their devices. Seems Samsung uses odin for all flashing needs. LG uses LGUp tool and some of their devices have fastboot. I'm new to Samsung coming from LG and Moto. I left LG alone cant root easy with them unless you buy flagship. I still love Moto but need better screen quality. So Samsung came with this phone a20 and I like the phone alot. Need root though.

You probably can but I imagine the sim card can stop working because some models can only work on that certain region.

jajk

Jul 18, 2014
@jhjhjhjhjhjh Samsung have in the past made "crippled" models specifically for certain carriers that reduce the ability to operate on their competitors networks so beware!
Example: In Australia, Telstra sold Samsung 9100T phones which would barely receive on Optus networks and this was an irreversible hardware hack that blocked the Optus radio frequencies. This had a dual effect of making people less likely to switch carriers and if they did, made it seem like Optus had rubbish coverage.
In modern phones, this is done mainly in software through the modem firmware so as long as the region you want to switch to has the correct frequency bands that you need for your carrier to work, all should be good;)

Reactions: jhjhjhjhjhjh

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
What message did you get when you tried post #41 steps 12 to 16?

Also your rom is here.
https://samfrew.com/model/SM-A205U/region/TMB/

I already have my stock firmware from samsung website. I have the patched boot.tar . It won't flash . I haven't seen an oem unlock option in developer options on my device. So without ticking the oem unlock. Odin wont flash.
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

@jhjhjhjhjhjh Samsung have in the past made "crippled" models specifically for certain carriers that reduce the ability to operate on their competitors networks so beware!
Example: In Australia, Telstra sold Samsung 9100T phones which would barely receive on Optus networks and this was an irreversible hardware hack that blocked the Optus radio frequencies. This had a dual effect of making people less likely to switch carriers and if they did, made it seem like Optus had rubbish coverage.
In modern phones, this is done mainly in software through the modem firmware so as long as the region you want to switch to has the correct frequency bands that you need for your carrier to work, all should be good;)

Thanks for the info.

jajk

Jul 18, 2014
OEM unlock does not appear straight away when developer options is enabled. Check tomorrow and it might magically appear;)

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
@jhjhjhjhjhjh

So you did this before flashing
12. Backup data. It will be wiped.
13. Turn phone off
14. Hold down vol+ vol-
15. Long press vol+
16. Press vol+

Yes I know how to enter download mode. Odin attempts to flash but fails at the end.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

OEM unlock does not appear straight away when developer options is enabled. Check tomorrow and it might magically appear;)

Ive been waiting since Sunday for the oem option to appear. I don't know if disabling Knox is why I don't see it. I use package disabler to debloat. I only have a samsung account logged in. No Google.. should I re-enable Knox and play store? Or does the rmm sniffs another part of the device for uptime verification?
Thanks..

Last edited:

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
@jhjhjhjhjhjh
These steps are for unlocking the bootloader, not just entering download mode. Odin is not used for that bit.

Also forgot to mention there was no bootloader mode to enter. Just recovery and download mode.
I'm unable to at this point due to oem unlock isn't showing up. I will Not be rebooting my phone untill my uptime reaches 168 hours.

Last edited:

dessierror

Aug 2, 2019
That phone is non root able there is no twrp for it so magisk won't be able to patch your IMG to give you root and kingsroot and Kingo are most effective with KitKat and lollipop phones... Marshmallow and up which I'm asummin you have is a dead drop with one click root apps and apks sadly.... Next time you get a phone u got to research to see if these things are possible

([emoji813]9/[emoji725]/9[emoji813])

you do know the samsung a20 can be rooted and i already rooted mine by patching the boot img and making it a tar image then falshing in odin via download mode and also unlocking the boot loader i have proof its rooted
Screenshot_20190802-184048_Google_Play_Store1.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it's here.
    https://youtu.be/-gS7bohjiGs

I also found this.
    https://androidleaker.com/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-a20
    This second author assumes the phone bootloader is unlocked and twrp is installed.
    Our twrp is not yet available.

Thanks to xda for collecting our discussions here.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/samsung-galaxy-a20
    please im looking for the method to root my phone samsung a20. please help me :(:(
    please im looking for the method to root my phone samsung a20. please help me :(:(
    That phone is non root able there is no twrp for it so magisk won't be able to patch your IMG to give you root and kingsroot and Kingo are most effective with KitKat and lollipop phones... Marshmallow and up which I'm asummin you have is a dead drop with one click root apps and apks sadly.... Next time you get a phone u got to research to see if these things are possible

([emoji813]9/[emoji725]/9[emoji813])
    thank you brother
    OEM unlock came back for the 2nd time so rooted once more:)
    This time I am being wary of deleting apps that Samsung regards as essential to their data mining operations:mad:
    I have (with considerable push-back) managed to de-Alphabet (Google) the phone. I have long since moved on from needing or tolerating their invasive software. A big chunk of Samsung software is either uninstalled or frozen and a huge amount of broadcast receivers disabled for all the apps unnecessarily wanting to start at boot. The phone and battery are already saying thankyou:)
    The task ahead is to decode the cryptic names of the myriad of Samsung apps to work out what they actually do and if they are really needed.......I am guessing most are just "E.T apps" that just want to call home with their bounty of personal data.