Samsung A50 stuck in "Phone is starting"

Search This thread

harshahs

Jan 3, 2022
Hi folks.
I am looking for some help in recovering my phone. My phone was fine till a couple of days back, all of a sudden i see that it is at "Phone is starting" phase for days now. I am on Android 11.
What i have tried so far:
1. Rebooted
2. Wiped cache and rebooted
3. On boot menu, tried repair apps

None of it is helping. Not sure whats going on. Is there hope?

harshahs

Jan 3, 2022
If you can repair what's causing the boot loop if it's not hardware related.
That's beyond my knowledge limits.

See if you can boot into safe mode.
The 2 times my N10+ boot looped on me because of a buggy launcher after a few boot attempts it automatically defaulted to safe mode.
Well, i have tried safe mode and it ends in the same state as "Phone is starting". The phone starting phase comes after my fingerprint is authenticated, ie phone is up and when i login, it goes to this state. I can access the top menu, and go to the settings, cannot launch any apps though.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Well, i have tried safe mode and it ends in the same state as "Phone is starting". The phone starting phase comes after my fingerprint is authenticated, ie phone is up and when i login, it goes to this state. I can access the top menu, and go to the settings, cannot launch any apps though.
Try booting it plugged into the charger.
At this point I would have done a factory reset especially if I didn't know what caused it.

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
Is there anything else that can be tried without factory reset?

Connect phone with pc and set it into Download mode: as soon as the device is in Download mode, this issue will be fixed automatically. You should not remove the device or use it until the fixing process gets over, else the device can get bricked. After the fixing process is over, the device will restart, fixing all the issues.

harshahs

Jan 3, 2022
Connect phone with pc and set it into Download mode: as soon as the device is in Download mode, this issue will be fixed automatically. You should not remove the device or use it until the fixing process gets over, else the device can get bricked. After the fixing process is over, the device will restart, fixing all the issues.
What should i do after i go into the download mode?

Reactions: nasserisonfire

chestanen

May 21, 2023
I'm stuck in the same situation, only i cannot turn off "Power saving" via the shortcut (no reaction at all but all other setting buttons function) and when opening "Battery and Device care" settings closes and back to "Phone is starting".
Also connecting via usb in "Download mode" makes no difference whatsoever... I'm at a los because I'd rather not factory reset because of loss of data...

Any more things I could try by any chance?

Thx a lot!!
A.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I'm stuck in the same situation, only i cannot turn off "Power saving" via the shortcut (no reaction at all but all other setting buttons function) and when opening "Battery and Device care" settings closes and back to "Phone is starting".
Also connecting via usb in "Download mode" makes no difference whatsoever... I'm at a los because I'd rather not factory reset because of loss of data...

Any more things I could try by any chance?

Thx a lot!!
A.
Boot into safe mode. If you can first backup your critical data which should have already been done. Then try to correct the fault. If this works it's likely a 3rd party app.

chestanen

May 21, 2023
Thx Blackhawk but safe mode doesn't make the smartphone startup and is also stuck on "Phone is starting". I know backup's should of been taken but it's the phone of one of my daughters (and yes kids don't always do as they're told) so I might as well dig my own grave if I reset the phone :unsure:

On the other hand, this might learn them a valuable lesson ;)

Any other tips/tricks someone?

Reactions: blackhawk

cmaror

Aug 30, 2020
Same here. however battery saving mode is not "on" so this fix does not work for me. Any other option (besides factory reset). By the way: factory reset works fine but only until the next time you forget to charge your phone. Then you are stuck again in the "your phone is starting" loop, and have no other option than to do another factory reset....

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Same here. however battery saving mode is not "on" so this fix does not work for me. Any other option (besides factory reset). By the way: factory reset works fine but only until the next time you forget to charge your phone. Then you are stuck again in the "your phone is starting" loop, and have no other option than to do another factory reset....
Try a hard reboot*.
Try safe mode, if it boots into safe mode it's likely a 3rd party app causing it. You are what you load. 3rd party launchers and power management apps that run at boot are prime suspects. Test after factory reset with no 3rd party apps loaded.

If under warranty, send it in. This is abnormal behavior.
Otherwise if all that fails reflash last known good firmware version. Possible corruption.
If that fails it may be a hardware failure**.

*having to use hard reboot repeatedly indicates firmware corruption or a hardware failure.

**The loaded firmware may be incompatible with the hardware because Samsung substituted a smaller chipset or component during a production run and didn't update the firmware instruction set for this.
Once Samsung becomes aware of this they will amend the next firmware update/upgrade, hopefully.

Reactions: cmaror

cmaror

Aug 30, 2020
Try a hard reboot*.
Try safe mode, if it boots into safe mode it's likely a 3rd party app causing it. You are what you load. 3rd party launchers and power management apps that run at boot are prime suspects. Test after factory reset with no 3rd party apps loaded.

If under warranty, send it in. This is abnormal behavior.
Otherwise if all that fails reflash last known good firmware version. Possible corruption.
If that fails it may be a hardware failure**.

*having to use hard reboot repeatedly indicates firmware corruption or a hardware failure.

**The loaded firmware may be incompatible with the hardware because Samsung substituted a smaller chipset or component during a production run and didn't update the firmware instruction set for this.
Once Samsung becomes aware of this they will amend the next firmware update/upgrade, hopefully.
Thanks. Two months ago, after factory reset I reinstalled everything without using a backup and without a separate launcher. But the issue occured again a few days ago (as soon as I forgot to recharge the phone). I get the message: phone is starting and then it freezes. I manage to have the phone boot in safe mode but it also freezes in the process. In this process, I manage to access the settings via the drop down from the top of the screen. However I have only one minute to play with the settings before everything freezes (because the phone is starting in the background).

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks. Two months ago, after factory reset I reinstalled everything without using a backup and without a separate launcher. But the issue occured again a few days ago (as soon as I forgot to recharge the phone). I get the message: phone is starting and then it freezes. I manage to have the phone boot in safe mode but it also freezes in the process. In this process, I manage to access the settings via the drop down from the top of the screen. However I have only one minute to play with the settings before everything freezes (because the phone is starting in the background).
When you say forgot to recharge the phone what does that mean?
Battery self discharged below 5%?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What should i do after i go into the download mode?
    I have the same issue, did you find a fix?
    I already have this issue. i just turn off the 'Power Saving' And it be back to normal, welcome
    Thx Blackhawk but safe mode doesn't make the smartphone startup and is also stuck on "Phone is starting". I know backup's should of been taken but it's the phone of one of my daughters (and yes kids don't always do as they're told) so I might as well dig my own grave if I reset the phone :unsure:

On the other hand, this might learn them a valuable lesson ;)

Any other tips/tricks someone?
    I already have this issue. i just turn off the 'Power Saving' And it be back to normal, welcome
    Holy crap that worked! Thanks!