Search This thread

YeOldHinnerk

Jul 15, 2019
Hi,
I have a Samsung S9+ (star2lte) on which I installed e os 1. This is essentially Lineage with a some tweaks and e Recovery. I would like to root my device, so that I can install AFWall+. Open to alternatives, but most don't offer a comparable deal in term of privacy, security and sideeffects. I will probaby also need MAgisk to hide root from banking apps. So I decided to go for Magisk, which I have used in the past as well.

So there is no lack of guides when you search for this topic. However, noone mentions e os. And this twist seems to matter. While trying to follow various guides (I have by now started from factory a couple of times, as I almost bricked my device...)., I came across a lot of errors, which were not mentioned in either guide. The install would fail, sometimes messing up the entire installation, so that I had to start from scratch.

I think I identified one of the main issues, which happens to be the recovery. The e Recovery won't install the proper magisk boot image. Well, unless there was another issue in the background, but I also found hints towards TWRP being needed to install magisk. So I installed TWRP latest version, which worked fine. Then I tried to install magisk boot image - and it failed. /data could not be mounted, apparently this relates to the encryption of the file system.

I'm also about unclear on the role of Odin (latest). I understand I need it to flash my Samsung device, e.g. with TWRP. I'm somehwhat unclear on the various filetypes one can flash (AP, BL, CSC,...). So I strictly adhere to the guides for this. MEaning, I have never tried to flash Magisk via Odin - is that possible? Does it make sense? How?

One sideeffect of the guides I found would be, that TWRP is installed as recovery. In an ideal solution, I would like to return to e os recovery, so that everything is as close to the orignal setup as possible, except with root (and possibility to hide this for specific apps).

As I have spent two days backing up, flashing, reading guide, reading more guides and still failing all the time with results which forced me to redo everything from vendor image - I finally resorted to asking for help here. Can someone please guide me though the process of installing magisk?

Versions:
Samsung SM-965F DBT (star2lte)
e os 1.0-q-2022052618889-stable-star2lte
TWRP 3.6.1_9_0-star2lte
Odin 3.14.4
Magisk: Latest App.

Best,

YeOldHinnerk

pommedefrance

Jan 18, 2019
same problem with a oneplus 5, i updated to e/os/ 1.0 and no more magisk/root...i try to update with magic manager (magisk 25), it asks a patch but not proposing install...

YeOldHinnerk

Jul 15, 2019
You need to extract the boot.img from e. Download the tar/zip, extract and locate the boot.img within. Copy that somehhere on your phone and feed it to magisk.

TWRP will not see the file by magisk since the file system is encrypted, see above.
Btw encryption is a must-have for me, for security reasons and my apps for work won'T run without (Citrix Secure Hub).