Samsung Exhibit II 4G Discussion

Search This thread

jms_209

Aug 13, 2011
Well I got this phone today and don't see a forum for it yet :p

It's rather new so I'm guessing thats why,but does anyone know how to root this phone(I'm a noob)....

I want to get rid of some of the useless t-mobile apps and some other samsung ones....... the thing is,I heard I need to root it first :cool:

I want to underclock the phone while I play music(screen off) :D

I want to know if this phone has voodoo sound or whatever it's called.....how do i get a detailed list of what does phone has inside....

Can anyone point me in the right direction please :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dswaggz

Jun 12, 2010
If anyone is curious how the 2.3.6 update breaks root, I have a 2.3.5 backup, and I updated it. It got rid of my root, but if I went back, It gave me root back, but I never got root on 2.3.6, of course, unless I flash that kernel.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Did u try psbeta2

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

skynyrd0110

Jun 23, 2012
To do a Nandroid or flash that zip you need to install CWM. You should be able to flash that zip through the stock recovery which you can access by holding the volume up while turning on your phone and releasing the power button and volume button about 3 seconds after seeing the Samsung logo. Afterwards, reboot back into recovery and make a backup. You don't have to but it's nice to have a backup in case something goes wrong. After making the backup, there should be an option on the first screen of CWM that says install zip. Click that and choose to install from internal sd or external depending on where you saved the file. Install and reboot and see if it works.

Also, if you have trouble entering recovery with the method I have above, try downloading an app that reboots directly into recovery. One that I know works is Quick Boot. It should make your life a lot easier.

Sent from my Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
And the link for CWM was in one of the first posts on this thread, correct?

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
And the link for CWM was in one of the first posts on this thread, correct?

Actually, cwm for our phone didn't exist when this thread was started. It's unfortunate, but this thread and the original Exhibit II "dev" thread were abandoned by the original posters and both threads are very stale.

Up-to-date information and links for the Galaxy Exhibit can be found here.

Reactions: richardlibeau

ocostich

Jan 4, 2012
Yes it will break root. But you can root with jocalas root zip if you upgrade.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

I can't get the update to go at all on my rooted Exhibit II. I accepted the update on the phone and it turned off then back on, but nothing changed,

Next downloaded latest version of KIES and connected via USB, KIES offered firmware update and I accepted. A few things downloaded and then the firmware progress box popped up on the PC and it's been at 0% for over 8 hours. Both the progress box on the PC and the phone screen say to not to disconnect or turn off.

I finally gave up and closed KIES. The phone seems to work OK but if I start KIES it offers to complete the update, and again, nothing changes.

What can I do to get this done. I'm very much in the dark about these kinds of phones so I'd need detailed instructions. Pointing me to where I can learn more about flashing, rerooting, etc., would be very much appreciated. I've tried poking around but find I quickly get to the point where I don't get what's being said. Thanks.

richardlibeau

Feb 19, 2012
New London, NC
I can't get the update to go at all on my rooted Exhibit II. I accepted the update on the phone and it turned off then back on, but nothing changed,

Next downloaded latest version of KIES and connected via USB, KIES offered firmware update and I accepted. A few things downloaded and then the firmware progress box popped up on the PC and it's been at 0% for over 8 hours. Both the progress box on the PC and the phone screen say to not to disconnect or turn off.

I finally gave up and closed KIES. The phone seems to work OK but if I start KIES it offers to complete the update, and again, nothing changes.

What can I do to get this done. I'm very much in the dark about these kinds of phones so I'd need detailed instructions. Pointing me to where I can learn more about flashing, rerooting, etc., would be very much appreciated. I've tried poking around but find I quickly get to the point where I don't get what's being said. Thanks.

Go to samsung galaxy exhibit thread page 1.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dswaggz
I put this together so that it may help others who need to return their Samsung Exhibit II 4G SGH-T679 back to stock condition. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it did work for me. I am not responsible for further damages for your phone.

1. If your phone is rooted, then you surely have the correct Samsung drivers installed to your PC already. The first time I connected my Exhibit II, all the drivers were automatically downloaded.

2. With your phone powered off, go into the Download (or Odin) mode by pressing the volume down and power buttons. When the screen with the exclamation mark appears, select the volume up button. You should now be in download mode.

3. Connect your Exhibit II to your PC.

2. Download this file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425803/SGH-T679.zip and extract all the files.

3. Open Odin Multi Downloader v4.43.exe .

4. click on the OPS-Button and navigate to the folder with the extracted files and select Ancora.ops file.

5. Select the options: One Package, Protect OPS. I did not touch the Auto Reboot, Reset Time options.

6.Click on the One Package-Button and select the md5 file in the extracted folder.

7. Click on the Start button. The flashing process took around 5 minutes for me, at which point the phone rebooted into recovery mode to finish the process. I selected reboot the system.

Dude you rock! My phone bricked after attempting to install the latest update, but this brought it back to life.

tr0yz

Sep 10, 2010
New Haven, CT
U didnt need all that jocala created a flash2stock.zip you can find links in the samsung galaxy exhibit thread which is the same phone...... Just incase ur lost and werent up on the 2.3.6 update u flashbit using clockwork recovery unless u didnt have that then this would be the method. Forgot about that part carry on then good work... Good work...good work lol

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4g......... "wopbamalubam ah whop bambooo"

pojo

May 2, 2007
Does anybody know if USB headsets work with this device ? I ordered some from amazon, $4~, assuming they would work but I've had no luck getting either the audio or mic to work, I guess it's not enabled in the kernel or something.

Does anybody know of any apps/fixes that might enable this ? I looked through the CyanogenMod Wiki and it includes provision for USB headsets in the changelog, really hoping the new CM9 for this phone includes that !

Last edited:

jfroehlich

Feb 16, 2012
FYI, New thread

Does anybody know if USB headsets work with this device ? I ordered some from amazon, $4~, assuming they would work but I've had no luck getting either the audio or mic to work, I guess it's not enabled in the kernel or something.

Does anybody know of any apps/fixes that might enable this ? I looked through the CyanogenMod Wiki and it includes provision for USB headsets in the changelog, really hoping the new CM9 for this phone includes that !

Pretty much everyone is using the new Galaxy Exhibit 4G thread since the rebranding. You might try your questions over there.

Reactions: tr0yz

don-pringle

Aug 10, 2012
Help with Wifi

Got my Samsung Exhibit ii 4G about a week ago. Installed CyanogenMod from here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1532005) today. Works fine except now I can not connect to my home wifi network. When I look at available wifi networks I see mine with full bars however when I try to connect the signal suddenly drops to 1 bar and it has a problem authenticating. Any solutions?

Edit* It now works fine minor router setting

Last edited:

detdett

Dec 6, 2011
Got my Samsung Exhibit ii 4G about a week ago. Installed CyanogenMod from here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1532005) today. Works fine except now I can not connect to my home wifi network. When I look at available wifi networks I see mine with full bars however when I try to connect the signal suddenly drops to 1 bar and it has a problem authenticating. Any solutions?

Which version did you download? If it's the newest one, and eifi has issues and the op has already mentioned he will take it off

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Nick300

Aug 30, 2011
Does anybody have Link2SD running in their phone? Exhibit 4g? The phone won't default to my sdhc card in order to make the app work.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

Maitriify

Aug 30, 2012
So I just followed the instructions on how to root a Samsung Exhibit II 4G phone listed here. However, even though I've tried it 3 times, it continues to fail when rooting my device. I can post screenshots if requested.

The command prompt states that anything with the SU command fails because it does not have root access. This is after 'sending zerglings' or whatever, too. So I don't know what I am doing wrong here...

Anyone have any ideas?

shakatu

May 31, 2012
So I just followed the instructions on how to root a Samsung Exhibit II 4G phone listed here. However, even though I've tried it 3 times, it continues to fail when rooting my device. I can post screenshots if requested.

The command prompt states that anything with the SU command fails because it does not have root access. This is after 'sending zerglings' or whatever, too. So I don't know what I am doing wrong here...

Anyone have any ideas?

This forum is dead. Check the first page of the Galaxy Exhibit forum for rooting.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using XDA Premium HD app

kisrita

Originally Posted by stubbakatt
I put this together so that it may help others who need to return their Samsung Exhibit II 4G SGH-T679 back to stock condition. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it did work for me. I am not responsible for further damages for your phone.

1. If your phone is rooted, then you surely have the correct Samsung drivers installed to your PC already. The first time I connected my Exhibit II, all the drivers were automatically downloaded.

2. With your phone powered off, go into the Download (or Odin) mode by pressing the volume down and power buttons. When the screen with the exclamation mark appears, select the volume up button. You should now be in download mode.

2. Download this file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425803/SGH-T679.zip and extract all the files.

4. click on the OPS-Button and navigate to the folder with the extracted files and select Ancora.ops file.

5. Select the options: One Package, Protect OPS. I did not touch the Auto Reboot, Reset Time options.

6.Click on the One Package-Button and select the md5 file in the extracted folder.

7. Click on the Start button. The flashing process took around 5 minutes for me, at which point the phone rebooted into recovery mode to finish the process. I selected reboot the system.

I am unable to unbrick my phone with the above method. I seem to have the right drivers since I can connect to adb and I can connect to Odin. But I can't get it to flash anything. I don't have clockwork recovery, and probably USB debugging wasn't turned on when the phone failed. Odin says it can't open USB serial port, code 5.

It's been a while since I messed with this phone so I'm not too sure about the history but here goes starting I think last November:
1. rooted (some 1 click method, can't remember if it was zerg or something else)
2. stayed on stock a few months
3. Tried Exquizit ROM
4. Bought a new phone, gave this one to my dad
5. Dad messed it up somehow. No idea what he did. My fault for giving him a rooted phone with clockwork recovery. I was able to put the stock image back on, and this time left it unrooted. Did not install clockwork recovery. I was sure it was back to original factory condition. I think I was wrong.
6. Dad got an over the air notification for the stock update (or so he thought). Since I thought he was on stock, and he was getting a notification for the stock update, I told him to go ahead. Now I'm not even sure if that's what it was. Whatever it was, it failed and the phone was soft bricked again.
7. I somehow saved it using adb almost immediately after I connected. I have zero idea what I did. I don't know, maybe I just rebooted through adb? I can't remember. I was just so happy it was working again. I think I was wrong and it never worked right after that though....
8. A couple of weeks later, parents brought it over again and tried to connect to my wifi. It wouldn't connect, suddenly was going in to some sort of boot loop where it booted up completely, but then errored out before being able to get to settings. Can't remember exactly. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I just kept it charging.
9. A couple of months later...today...I try again. First it would boot up, no error message, but would freeze as soon as I hit settings. Then after repeated reboots, eventually it wouldn't even get that far, it would cycle between the samsung logo and the Exhibit 2 4g logo. (This was before adb/Odin or any attempt at flashing anything).

I can still connect it to Windows 7 64bit, and adb detects it. I can also connect to Odin, and it detects it. But I can't get either the above stock image or another to flash. I've spent all day on this and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, it shouldn't be this difficult. The only thing I can think of is USB debugging is probably not turned on, and I can't turn it on. So now what do I do? I can't get into fastboot mode, and can't figure out if there's anything I can do through adb without clockwork recovery...

Somebody please help me, but be very specific, I know just enough to be dangerous, but still very much a noob.

Thanks

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
I am unable to unbrick my phone with the above method. I seem to have the right drivers since I can connect to adb and I can connect to Odin. But I can't get it to flash anything. I don't have clockwork recovery, and probably USB debugging wasn't turned on when the phone failed. Odin says it can't open USB serial port, code 5.

It's been a while since I messed with this phone so I'm not too sure about the history but here goes starting I think last November:
1. rooted (some 1 click method, can't remember if it was zerg or something else)
2. stayed on stock a few months
3. Tried Exquizit ROM
4. Bought a new phone, gave this one to my dad
5. Dad messed it up somehow. No idea what he did. My fault for giving him a rooted phone with clockwork recovery. I was able to put the stock image back on, and this time left it unrooted. Did not install clockwork recovery. I was sure it was back to original factory condition. I think I was wrong.
6. Dad got an over the air notification for the stock update (or so he thought). Since I thought he was on stock, and he was getting a notification for the stock update, I told him to go ahead. Now I'm not even sure if that's what it was. Whatever it was, it failed and the phone was soft bricked again.
7. I somehow saved it using adb almost immediately after I connected. I have zero idea what I did. I don't know, maybe I just rebooted through adb? I can't remember. I was just so happy it was working again. I think I was wrong and it never worked right after that though....
8. A couple of weeks later, parents brought it over again and tried to connect to my wifi. It wouldn't connect, suddenly was going in to some sort of boot loop where it booted up completely, but then errored out before being able to get to settings. Can't remember exactly. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I just kept it charging.
9. A couple of months later...today...I try again. First it would boot up, no error message, but would freeze as soon as I hit settings. Then after repeated reboots, eventually it wouldn't even get that far, it would cycle between the samsung logo and the Exhibit 2 4g logo. (This was before adb/Odin or any attempt at flashing anything).

I can still connect it to Windows 7 64bit, and adb detects it. I can also connect to Odin, and it detects it. But I can't get either the above stock image or another to flash. I've spent all day on this and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, it shouldn't be this difficult. The only thing I can think of is USB debugging is probably not turned on, and I can't turn it on. So now what do I do? I can't get into fastboot mode, and can't figure out if there's anything I can do through adb without clockwork recovery...

Somebody please help me, but be very specific, I know just enough to be dangerous, but still very much a noob.

Thanks

Other than a link, I won't post here. Otherwise, you're on your own. Good luck!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=26860509

Reactions: kisrita

gooruma

Sep 20, 2011
I am sure there are many threads regarding this, but I got a question.
I will unlock my Samsung Exhibit II and use it on ATT.
Will ATT detect this phone as a smartphone?
Can I block data and use it without data?
Can I get dumbphone data plan with this phone?
Thanks.

dennis96411

Dec 9, 2011
¬_¬
ASUS ROG Phone II
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I am sure there are many threads regarding this, but I got a question.
I will unlock my Samsung Exhibit II and use it on ATT.
Will ATT detect this phone as a smartphone?
Can I block data and use it without data?
Can I get dumbphone data plan with this phone?
Thanks.

Just disable data once you get it running.

Sent from my Samsung SGH-T989 running CM10 by TeamChopsticks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Getting back to stock in Samsung Exhibit II

Root for Samsung Exhibit II 4G

The root for the Exhibit 4G by nocturnalmike works with the Exhibit II 4G as well.
    I got mine yesterday and rooted it today.
    Here a link to the thread.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1275415&page=3

Like it said, just unzip and run the .bat file. Wait for it to finish and your rooted.

Just be sure that all drivers are installed and you can access the phone storage from windows. I installed Samsung Kies because Windows didn't find any driver for mine.
    USB Debugging should also be enabled on the phone.

Hope this helps.
    Is there any way to remove the crappy Tmobile boot and shutdown animation and sounds?

To get rid of the startup and shutdown sounds, you'll need to be rooted and then use Root Explorer, EF File Explorer, or adb to find these files on your phone:

system/media/audio/ui/PowerOff.wav
    system/etc/PowerOn.wav

I replaced mine with silent sound files that I made using Windows sound recorder with my mic turned off. You can probably just delete them, if you prefer.

On a side note, to everyone working on a ROM for the Exhibit II, I'm cheering you on. Wish I could help, but I'm too noob. Mucho thanks in advance.
    Our Update

Thanks to Seriiez, I have a copy of the update in tar format. Basically, it's a new bloat-filled rom with a new kernel. The only root method thus far is to flash my rooted kernel. However, this drops you back a kernel version to 2.6.35.7. You can also flash cwm with the stock recovery (no, you don't need to rename it update.zip) and install the rom of your choice, more or less putting you back to square one.

Still, this will drop you back 2.6.35. This will not change until we get source code for the new kernel and root it.

Pulling an update from the new release to patch current systems would be a bear. What I've got to work with is a kernel w/o source and a system partition. Identifying which bits are new and which are old in the new /system partition isn't something I want to undertake.

Still, it's possible to build a debloated rom using the current material. That's what I'm going work on this weekend, among other things :)
    Hey, thanks to the guys who are trying to make a custom rom for this phone!
    Removing "System Manager App" is pretty effective at removing Carrier IQ. I think you might want to also do this:
    1. Warning: no guarantee this will work for you. People will probably put together an app to remove Carrier IQ, so I will edit this post to point to that. This is an experimental procedure that might work for you, or it might not.

2. Warning: after doing this, you will not be able to get firmware info by dialing *#1234#. Please dial *#1234# now and write down the information reported so you have access to it later.

3. Root your phone (post #3 on this thread has a link to instructions). This will install 'adb' on your computer as part of that process. Use it for the next step.

4. Use adb to save the files you are about to delete from your phone. You can open command prompt in windows or terminal on mac / linux, and type: adb pull /system/app/IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk, then press enter.

5. Browse to the current directory, shown in the prompt (command prompt or shell prompt). e.g. for Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

6. Check that a file named IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk is there. If not, you don't have a backup. Windows may call the file IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1 and hide the ".apk" extension.

7. Now go back to the command prompt and type adb pull /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so

8. Check that a file named libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so (or it may be missing ".so") shows up in the directory listing.

9. Close the command prompt or shell on your computer.

10. attachment.php
      Open the Terminal Emulator application from the phone's apps. (This next part does not use the computer.)

11. Type: su (and press enter). You may then be prompted to grant privileges to "Superuser." If you are asked, grant the privileges.

12. Type: mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 /system (press enter). Hint: there's a lower-case o after the first -, then an o in remount and block, but it's a zero in mmcblk0p15.

13. Type: rm /system/app/IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so (press enter). This will remove the Carrier IQ files from your phone.

14. Unless you already followed bomberbadj's instructions to remove "System Manager Application," the phone will now warn you over and over that "System Manager Application" is failing. You have to click the "force close" button on that warning, over and over, while completing the rest of the process. (This part is where the process could really use some polish.)
      attachment.php
      (I know this says Email, not System Manager Application)

15. Power off the phone by holding down the power button for a few seconds, then selecting "Power Off"

16. Power the phone back on by holding down the power button.

17. Now you will not be warned over and over about "System Manager Application," and the Carrier IQ files have been completely removed. Please post a note saying whether this worked for you or not.