Samsung Galaxy A13 Battery Problem

Search This thread

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
Hey there everyone, so i have been using that A13 for a while now, the battery used to last exactly 3 days when i only used the phone to talk, and 2 days with more usage, and now all of a sudden, it's now lasting 1 day without even using the phone, i haven't installed any new app, and i haven't changed any settings, i haven't even updated existing apps, the only thing i did that was out of the ordinary was keeping the phone on for 30 days straight without shutting down or restarting, i usually restart, but i forgot to do so this time.

I was forced to restart in the 30th day because when i plugged the phone into my computer, it wasn't detected, and there was no popup on the phone, after restarting, i noticed that the battery was draining a lot faster than before, and the phone actually consumes more power while idle now, i checked the Ampere app, and it's draining about 220 mA now instead of the usual 150 mA, i think the difference becomes even bigger when the phone is idle.

I tried safe mode to eliminate the possibility of apps causing trouble, but the result haven't changed, i also noticed that the charging amperage via cable plugged into the computer is now about a 1100 mA instead of the usual 200 mA, there's nothing wrong with the cable or the USB port because i've already tried another phone, any ideas ? i'd rather keep hard resetting or flashing as a last resort.

Update : i did a factory reset, it didn't work, i did a firmware flash AND a factory reset after that, and it still didn't work.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Clear system cache.
Remove any social media trash apps...
Clean logs with Device Care.
Clean with SD Maid.
Replace battery before it fails completely and potentially damages the device

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
Clear system cache.
Remove any social media trash apps...
Clean logs with Device Care.
Clean with SD Maid.
Replace battery before it fails completely and potentially damages the device
Thanks for the reply, i actually removed all removable apps and cleared caches on the remaining apps on the device, the problem persists, i think your first suggestion implies a hard reset, i will do that if i have no other option, i'll clean logs now with device care, and try cleaning using SD Maid.

The phone is 3 months old at this point, do you think the battery might actually be failing here ? also, what are the odds that it's not calibrated and thus reporting wrong values ?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks for the reply, i actually removed all removable apps and cleared caches on the remaining apps on the device, the problem persists, i think your first suggestion implies a hard reset, i will do that if i have no other option, i'll clean logs now with device care, and try cleaning using SD Maid.

The phone is 3 months old at this point, do you think the battery might actually be failing here ? also, what are the odds that it's not calibrated and thus reporting wrong values ?
You're welcome.
No. Clear the system cache, the option is found on the boot menu. Factory reset if you have done a major firmware upgrade. Do Not use SmartSwitch if you do. If you did use SmartSwitch to do your current load that may be the issue; hand load for clean load.
You can also try a hard reboot (simulates pulling battery).
It's possible a 3rd party app altered hidden user settings. This would be hard to correct. Unistalling the app may not fix it, factory reset.
Load only trusted, vetted apps to avoid this.
Malware is another possibility.

Battery's can fail at any time. Any swelling is a failure. Erratic fast charging is also be a symptom. A failure at 3 months is improbable.

Is adaptive battery turned on? Try turning it off.
Only fast charging should be enabled from that settings page. All Samsung's should be optimized for best performance. All cloud apps including Google backup Transport can cause excessive battery drain.

Reactions: Sisine

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
You're welcome.
No. Clear the system cache, the option is found on the boot menu. Factory reset if you have done a major firmware upgrade. Do Not use SmartSwitch if you do. If you did use SmartSwitch to do your current load that may be the issue; hand load for clean load.
It's possible a 3rd party app altered hidden user settings. This would be hard to correct. Unistalling the app may not fix it, factory reset.

Battery's can fail at any time. Any swelling is a failure. Erratic fast charging is also be a symptom. A failure at 3 months is improbable.

Only fast charging should be enabled from that settings page. All Samsung's should be optimized for best performance. All cloud apps including Google backup Transport can cause excessive battery drain.
Okay, i cleared the system cache, apparently it changed nothing, i have never flash any firmware since i got the device, i've only done an update through Samsung, i've also never installed SmartSwitch.

I did a hard reboot, and it also did nothing, i've only ever installed apps through google play store, i have yet to install an apk on this phone..
Any ideas to check if there's any malware ? keep in mind that CPU usage is fairly low while the screen is on, i could tell using GPUWatch.

Adaptive battery was indeed turned on, but it was on from the first day i started using that phone, i turned it off now, i'll see if it makes a difference, i've only used fast charging once, but i disabled it after seeing how far battery temperature went.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Okay, i cleared the system cache, apparently it changed nothing, i have never flash any firmware since i got the device, i've only done an update through Samsung, i've also never installed SmartSwitch.

I did a hard reboot, and it also did nothing, i've only ever installed apps through google play store, i have yet to install an apk on this phone..
Any ideas to check if there's any malware ? keep in mind that CPU usage is fairly low while the screen is on, i could tell using GPUWatch.

Adaptive battery was indeed turned on, but it was on from the first day i started using that phone, i turned it off now, i'll see if it makes a difference, i've only used fast charging once, but i disabled it after seeing how far battery temperature went.

Track down the battery hogs and deal with each on a case by case basis. Package block if needed with adb edit or a package disabler.

Malware is a subjective call, scan with Malwarebytes. If you didn't do anything stupid there's likely no malware. If in doubt, nuke.
Obviously something changed... find it. Otherwise it's likely to reoccur even with a factory reset.

Use a fan and/or a damp microfiber cloth to cool the phone when charging. Li's prefer frequent midrange power cycling (40-72%). Small midrange charging generates less heat and battery stress.

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
Track down the battery hogs and deal with each on a case by case basis. Package block if needed with adb edit or a package disabler.

Malware is a subjective call, scan with Malwarebytes. If you didn't do anything stupid there's likely no malware. If in doubt, nuke.
Obviously something changed... find it. Otherwise it's likely to reoccur even with a factory reset.

Use a fan and/or a damp microfiber cloth to cool the phone when charging. Li's prefer frequent midrange power cycling (40-72%). Small midrange charging generates less heat and battery stress.
The phone isn't overheating while charging, the only reason i'm using the computer's USB port to charge isntead of the adapter is to prevent that kind of thing, especially in summer, i've never let the battery go below 30, or above 85, and by the way, there's an option called Protect Battery, and this limits the charge to 85, i enabled it when i bought the phone.

I'm starting to think that the battery isn't calibrated, because this time it took the phone 3 hours to drop from 80 to 79 while mobile data was enabled, and after that, it started dropping like crazy, meaning it's not consistent.

I also noticed that while having the phone plugged in to the laptop, the current calculated by the Ampere app is sometimes 1100 mA and sometimes 30-40 mA, the former doesn't make sense because the USB port is a 2.0 one, and it doesn't provide more than 500 mA.

I'll try to re-calibrate the battery, and if that doesn't work, i'll just flash the firmware anew, and hard reset after that, i'll let you know if there's any update, thanks a lot for the help.

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015

Here's an update, i did a factory reset, and even flashed AND did a factory reset afterwards, the problem persists :(

I've never seen anything like that before.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Here's an update, i did a factory reset, and even flashed AND did a factory reset afterwards, the problem persists :(

Ouch.
Battery calibration doesn't effect SOT. If not running warmer than it use to it may be the battery or other hardware failure. If under warranty, send it in.
The one thing that has broke my Samsung's multiple times are upgrades and updates...

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
Ouch.
Battery calibration doesn't effect SOT. If not running warmer than it use to it may be the battery or other hardware failure. If under warranty, send it in.
The one thing that has broke my Samsung's multiple times are upgrades and updates...
You're right about the update thing, now that i think about it, this started happening about 2 weeks after a security update, i don't know if downgrading would solve the problem, and i'm not even sure that it's possible because i tried downgrading on an M30s via a firmware flash and it didn't work.

Although it's a little tricky here in my country, i think warranty is my only option, anyway, thanks a lot for the help.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You're right about the update thing, now that i think about it, this started happening about 2 weeks after a security update, i don't know if downgrading would solve the problem, and i'm not even sure that it's possible because i tried downgrading on an M30s via a firmware flash and it didn't work.

Although it's a little tricky here in my country, i think warranty is my only option, anyway, thanks a lot for the help.
With Samsung's over the years I learned this rule, the hard way: Rule #1 - If an OS is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission, let it be!
A rollback to the last known good version should fix it if that's the problem... then just don't allow it to update, block updates/upgrades. I'm a pragmatist, I use what works!

This N10+ is still happily running on Pie, last update over 2.5 years. Current load in over 2 years old, still fast and very stable with minimal maintenance. That's what a stock Android is capable of. Security is not an issue. Malware has given me zero trouble, app updates though have cost me quit a bit of time to fix. Any OS version from Pie up is relatively secure unless you do stupid things. You can't save dumb bunnies, but Google tries to make you think it can. It can't.

Screw the Samsung, Google and "trusted" reviewers hype. You'll find more trustworthy information on Samsung member forums and even Reddit. Sad but true. Ever notice how all the new Samsung flagships and Google Android OS's get glowing reviews? If pigs could fly...🐷

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
With Samsung's over the years I learned this rule, the hard way: Rule #1 - If an OS is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission, let it be!
A rollback to the last known good version should fix it if that's the problem... then just don't allow it to update, block updates/upgrades. I'm a pragmatist, I use what works!

This N10+ is still happily running on Pie, last update over 2.5 years. Current load in over 2 years old, still fast and very stable with minimal maintenance. That's what a stock Android is capable of. Security is not an issue. Malware has given me zero trouble, app updates though have cost me quit a bit of time to fix. Any OS version from Pie up is relatively secure unless you do stupid things. You can't save dumb bunnies, but Google tries to make you think it can. It can't.

Screw the Samsung, Google and "trusted" reviewers hype. You'll find more trustworthy information on Samsung member forums and even Reddit. Sad but true. Ever notice how all the new Samsung flagships and Google Android OS's get glowing reviews? If pigs could fly...🐷
That A13 i have (it's not the 5G version) actually came pre-loaded with android 12, the update i did was not one to a new android version, it was just a security patch, i'll try to downgrade to the first stock firmware if it allows me to.

I'm starting to lose my trust in Samsung, you're right, they do indeed screw things up with their updates, i experienced that first hand as well, i always tell myself that they might learn but i always end up wrong.

They hype up the product only for the consumer to find out that they were telling nothing but lies, i think i'll never buy a Samsung phone again if i can't fix the issue with that one.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
That A13 i have (it's not the 5G version) actually came pre-loaded with android 12, the update i did was not one to a new android version, it was just a security patch, i'll try to downgrade to the first stock firmware if it allows me to.

I'm starting to lose my trust in Samsung, you're right, they do indeed screw things up with their updates, i experienced that first hand as well, i always tell myself that they might learn but i always end up wrong.

They hype up the product only for the consumer to find out that they were telling nothing but lies, i think i'll never buy a Samsung phone again if i can't fix the issue with that one.

You will be able to reflash pre update as long as you can find that firmware. 12 had a big security flaw in it, you probably want that patched. Hopefully it was before your security update... you might want to look into that.

As far as Samsung goes I can only speak for it's flagships as I don't follow it's other releases closely. Every flagship released since the Note 10+ has been a disappointment in my opinion.
It's no accident that I'm still running 2 N10+'s, Samsung didn't give me a better option nor did Google Android; scope storage sucks. The humpback N20U was the last flagship with expandable but it had issues and the spen on the wrong side. All the variant refresh rate displays suffer from poor SOTs, reduced color/gamma accuracy and reliability issues.

With a much smaller battery the N10+ gets noticeably better SOT. It just keeps running, this one has over 8k hours on it; it looks (including the display), feels and runs like its new. It's a joy to use. The newer flagships won't be capable of this. I've lost confidence in both Google and Samsung. Not sure Samsung will ever get out of the hole they dug themselves into. They're are now experts at dropping balls... bravo.

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
You will be able to reflash pre update as long as you can find that firmware. 12 had a big security flaw in it, you probably want that patched. Hopefully it was before your security update... you might want to look into that.

As far as Samsung goes I can only speak for it's flagships as I don't follow it's other releases closely. Every flagship released since the Note 10+ has been a disappointment in my opinion.
It's no accident that I'm still running 2 N10+'s, Samsung didn't give me a better option nor did Google Android; scope storage sucks. The humpback N20U was the last flagship with expandable but it had issues and the spen on the wrong side. All the variant refresh rate displays suffer from poor SOTs, reduced color/gamma accuracy and reliability issues.

With a much smaller battery the N10+ gets noticeably better SOT. It just keeps running, this one has over 8k hours on it; it looks (including the display), feels and runs like its new. It's a joy to use. The newer flagships won't be capable of this. I've lost confidence in both Google and Samsung. Not sure Samsung will ever get out of the hole they dug themselves into. They're are now experts at dropping balls... bravo.
Confirmed, it's just like when i tried it with a M30s, once you upgrade the BIT/SW REV, you won't be able to downgrade.

I think i'll try to RMA, that is of course if i get lucky, because they're not even responding to my emails, that really sucks, just like you, i've officially lost my trust in both google and samsung.

Honetly, i'm not really that surprised, especially after that video from mrwhosetheboss showing that every single samsung phone he's ever owned had a swelling battery.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Confirmed, it's just like when i tried it with a M30s, once you upgrade the BIT/SW REV, you won't be able to downgrade.

I think i'll try to RMA, that is of course if i get lucky, because they're not even responding to my emails, that really sucks, just like you, i've officially lost my trust in both google and samsung.

Honetly, i'm not really that surprised, especially after that video from mrwhosetheboss showing that every single samsung phone he's ever owned had a swelling battery.

Meh call them and share the wuv...
Li's have reached the end of their usable service life when they reach 80% of their original capacity. They should then be replaced to avoid a failure. So that was more the owner's fault than Samsung. This N10+ had a battery failure but again it was very degraded even though it wasn't even 1.5 yo. Mostly from heavy usage, and a couple high temperature exposures, my bad. Fortunately the bloated battery caused no damage. Timely maintenance will help to prevent most failures.

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
Meh call them and share the wuv...
Li's have reached the end of their usable service life when they reach 80% of their original capacity. They should then be replaced to avoid a failure. So that was more the owner's fault than Samsung. This N10+ had a battery failure but again it was very degraded even though it wasn't even 1.5 yo. Mostly from heavy usage, and a couple high temperature exposures, my bad. Fortunately the bloated battery caused no damage. Timely maintenance will help to prevent most failures.
That's the thing with my phone, i bought it brand new, and i am the first owner, i have been taking very good care of it, and i always keep an eye on both CPU usage and battery temperature, i've never let the latter go beyond 36 C, sometimes i was charging the phone using my laptop's USB port just to prevent high temperatures caused by fast charging, and i've never let the battery drop below 30 or go beyond 85, i did my very best to take care of it.

With regards to that video posted by mrwhosetheboss, it was very clear that it's samsung's fault, he has a large collection of phones, both new and old ones, and samsung phones in his collection were the only ones that had a swelling battery, he even reached out to other well knows youtubers, and they confirmed that a lot of their samsung phones did indeed have that problem, they didn't experience that with other brands.

I mean i'm not surprised after that incident with that explosive Note 7 battery ! here's the video if you wanna take a look :

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
That's the thing with my phone, i bought it brand new, and i am the first owner, i have been taking very good care of it, and i always keep an eye on both CPU usage and battery temperature, i've never let the latter go beyond 36 C, sometimes i was charging the phone using my laptop's USB port just to prevent high temperatures caused by fast charging, and i've never let the battery drop below 30 or go beyond 85, i did my very best to take care of it.

With regards to that video posted by mrwhosetheboss, it was very clear that it's samsung's fault, he has a large collection of phones, both new and old ones, and samsung phones in his collection were the only ones that had a swelling battery, he even reached out to other well knows youtubers, and they confirmed that a lot of their samsung phones did indeed have that problem, they didn't experience that with other brands.

I mean i'm not surprised after that incident with that explosive Note 7 battery ! here's the video if you wanna take a look :
After the N7 nightmare Samsung probably has more design, manufacturing and operational protocols in place than most companies. Their batteries come for Vietnam andsome from India (I believe). Much better quality than the Chinese junk.

I've had good results with all my Samsung batteries including multiple pairs of Buds, the exception was that one failure. It had a rough ride as I live in the desert. A few low temperature charges may have sealed its fate. I always fast charge but generally use a 40-80% cycle with a temperature limit of 72F to a max of 102F. I consider Li's an expendable asset, which they are. So with the high hours I have on this heavy used N10+, 2 batteries so far isn't bad. My other 2 Samsung a S4+ and a flip top still work. They had their batteries replaced years ago due lose of capacity not failure.
You never know but more than likely the guy with all the busted batteries unwittingly did something stupid, again and again or had ulterior motives. I don't buy that battery doom story. If the Li's aren't ever replaced they are likely to fail eventually. They start to degrade the day they're assembled.

Sisine

Nov 20, 2015
After the N7 nightmare Samsung probably has more design, manufacturing and operational protocols in place than most companies. Their batteries come for Vietnam andsome from India (I believe). Much better quality than the Chinese junk.

I've had good results with all my Samsung batteries including multiple pairs of Buds, the exception was that one failure. It had a rough ride as I live in the desert. A few low temperature charges may have sealed its fate. I always fast charge but generally use a 40-80% cycle with a temperature limit of 72F to a max of 102F. I consider Li's an expendable asset, which they are. So with the high hours I have on this heavy used N10+, 2 batteries so far isn't bad. My other 2 Samsung a S4+ and a flip top still work. They had their batteries replaced years ago due lose of capacity not failure.
You never know but more than likely the guy with all the busted batteries unwittingly did something stupid, again and again or had ulterior motives. I don't buy that battery doom story. If the Li's aren't ever replaced they are likely to fail eventually. They start to degrade the day they're assembled.
Well, i do have terrible luck after all, maybe the battery inside my phone is the exception rather than the rule, it's probably just one of the few defective units out there 😄 i really can't find any explanation to this, i'm quite used to solving problems, but i'm still scratching my head because of that one issue, i think i'll try toRMA, and if that doesn't work, i'll get a battery replacement.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You're welcome.

Ouch.
    Ouch.