Question Samsung Galaxy Fold 3 - APTX HD?

Search This thread

berenger24

Oct 20, 2010
just thought I'd give anyone interested my experience of late. Yes I was concerned that the fold 3 didn't have APTX HD or Adaptive.

Last few days I have changing the codec on my phone from APTX Adaptive, APTX-HD and APTX. I tell you what, I could not tell any difference while I was out and about listening to music.

so there you go, i will pull the trigger on the Fold 3 after all. Thanks all for your input

Reactions: Allmightyusfame

doggydog2

don't buy samsung buds, keep the great headphones you have. samsung want to push their mediocre headphones by disabling codecs. AptX is a good standard, you just need to avoid the SBC. Also noone needs sound alteration BS like 360, Advanced this, Enhanced that, True Sound, DSEE, Hi-Res blabla, BS after BS. How many times they tried these marketing gimmicks in the last decades? And this time it's a good one? LOL, no. All of that shyte will disappear just like Power Bass, Deep Bass, Super Bass everyone digged in the past yet absolutely noone uses nowadays. Listen to the original sound on a great headphones, transferred from a decent source via decent bitrate or cable.

don't buy samsung buds, keep the great headphones you have. samsung want to push their mediocre headphones by disabling codecs. AptX is a good standard, you just need to avoid the SBC. Also noone needs sound alteration BS like 360, Advanced this, Enhanced that, True Sound, DSEE, Hi-Res blabla, BS after BS. How many times they tried these marketing gimmicks in the last decades? And this time it's a good one? LOL, no. All of that shyte will disappear just like Power Bass, Deep Bass, Super Bass everyone digged in the past yet absolutely noone uses nowadays. Listen to the original sound on a great headphones, transferred from a decent source via decent bitrate or cable.
I got buds just for sleep listening (I move around a bit and need the buds to be tiny)

doggydog2

I got buds just for sleep listening (I move around a bit and need the buds to be tiny)
i understand. love sleeping buds too, fall asleep with them (tho might not be healthy). got bunch of them from Soundpeats, QCY and such $20 brands, same sound as Samsung;) i think i find them here: thephonograph.net . At morning they fall under the bed, so now i use buds with a cable:D Then B&W P7 Wireless as normal headphones.

jemfalor

Seems unlikely. Samsung favors their SSC and they have LDAC as well.
Doubt they will do the licensing or expense needed.
LDAc is superior to APTX HD. SCC maybe slightly less, equal or superior to LDAC.

Regardless all bt codecs can't support the needed bandwidth for the high resolution output that a wired or toshlink digital output can.

The Samsung bt Buds line couple seamlessly that other 3rd party solutions can't match.
There's also the proprietary 360° surround feature on new Samsungs that only the Buds Pro (maybe +?) can use.
The SSC bt devices are still your best bt shot with Samsung... that's my thoughts.
nope. ldac is superior. the audio difference is substantial on xm4 vs buds.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
nope. ldac is superior. the audio difference is substantial on xm4 vs buds.
May be true, never used LDAC on the 10+.
The main difference is probably the drivers* as LDAC's bandwidth isn't that much greater (about 56 kbps I think). In a crowded or compromised radio environment LDAC may be worse.
There's virtually no in depth knowledge on how SSC works, there's more available on LDAC.
Both are not lossless.

Any LDAC headset will lose a lot of the native Wearables support and won't support the new Samsung 360 degree processing. There's also the price tag difference, the Buds+ is going for around $100. At nearly 3 times as much the xm4 * better have better drivers. The Buds+ are great for calls and do pretty good with music going through Poweramp.

*I've only sampled the Buds and Buds+ Samsung latest release is said to be better.

** at that price I have been reluctant to sample them plus the potential interface issues. I'll going to review these again though... lol if Sony wants to sample them to me I'll write a review.

Slick22

Dec 4, 2021
hey all,

I was thinking about ordering a fold 3, I think I already know the answer, but anyone that actually has one in their hand - could they verify the Bluetooth codecs available, specifically APTX HD or APTX Adaptive?

Android Central says it does but not sure I believe that article
Read it and weep. The z fold 3 supports LDAC at the highest bit rate. I'm currently using it as I type this. I'm using the edifier neobuds pro and they are better than the galaxy buds pro since the galaxy buds are limited to sbc, aac, and ssc. When I say you can hear every detail, I mean every detail. Since I purchased these, my pros have been collecting dust. The neobuds also support seamless integration.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-174702_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-174702_Settings.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20211204-175345_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-175345_Settings.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 93

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Read it and weep. The z fold 3 supports LDAC at the highest bit rate. I'm currently using it as I type this. I'm using the edifier neobuds pro and they are better than the galaxy buds pro since the galaxy buds are limited to sbc, aac, and ssc. When I say you can hear every detail, I mean every detail. Since I purchased these, my pros have been collecting dust. The neobuds also support seamless integration.

SSC which is what you would normally use on a Samsung for the Buds series. The Buds+ do a good job and are seamlessly integrated into the UI as one would be expected.

LDAC vs SSC is still in the air especially in real world use. Both are not perfect or lossless.
I would like to sample a good pair LDAC earbuds or headset and see what they got. Slim and often expensive pickens.

With the Edifier Neobuds Pro I'm seeing too much hype and not any pure technical reviews with frequency response curves.
Care to share any?

Slick22

Dec 4, 2021
SSC which is what you would normally use on a Samsung for the Buds series. The Buds+ do a good job and are seamlessly integrated into the UI as one would be expected.

LDAC vs SSC is still in the air especially in real world use. Both are not perfect or lossless.
I would like to sample a good pair LDAC earbuds or headset and see what they got. Slim and often expensive pickens.

With the Edifier Neobuds Pro I'm seeing too much hype and not any pure technical reviews with frequency response curves.
Care to share any?

Care to share any?
I'm not a super technical guy, but I have been on the search for some great sounding wireless buds for work. I started with the original galaxy buds, before the + variant, and I was extremely satisfied with those. I then purchased the pro variant because of my experience with the original Buds. I was hoping the GBP would offer more options as far as bps/asr, but to my dismay it was locked. Even under samsungs proprietary codec.

After recently subscribing to Tidal's Hi-Res plan I wanted to see if I could get more from what they claim to be "Masters" quality. The first thing I noticed with the Neobuds is they're bass heavy, not overwhelming, but pretty heavy. In conjuction with dolby atmos it sounds great. I'm not too familiar with the "Knowles balanced armature" but the way the mid-high frequencies play along with the bass is astounding. Cymbals are crisp, vocals are front and center. The sound stage doesn't feel like you're in a bubble, it's immersive, it encapsulates you. If you're curious for yourself, they're 20% off on Amazon now, worst case scenario is you don't like them. If not send them back.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
TBH it's hard listening to any BT after using a Dragonfly cobalt DAC powering UE18 Pro IEMs.

On direct board recordings (live mix with no compression) wireless buds just cannot get loud enough for me.

I suppose working out were freedom from wires is paramount they do OK. ;-)

WZDISMINE

Jan 19, 2021
I'm using bragi dash Pro for many years now, I don't think exists better earphones. The sound it's perfect clearly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nah I got KZ AST and Fiio UTWS3 buds, they're way more worth the money in terms of quality
    No SSC or LDAC support. They don't have near the bt bandwidth...
    Worse your losing features native to only Samsung bt devices.
    360 audio, must be the same as using the 'Stereo' option in Poweramp. Never liked stuff tampering with audio too much. And as for the seamless connectivity, my bt earphone auto connect to my phone which is way enough for me. Again you must have some advantages that I don't have but I personally don't miss the aptxHD as I never was able to tell the difference between the two :p
    It's a new dolby variant mostly for a surround gaming experience. My 10+ doesn't support it.
    Straight throughput with no Dolby is usually best for music as Dolby introduces distortion.
    I got excited there for a minute but looks to only support aptx.
    Thanks for confirming
    360 audio, must be the same as using the 'Stereo' option in Poweramp. Never liked stuff tampering with audio too much. And as for the seamless connectivity, my bt earphone auto connect to my phone which is way enough for me. Again you must have some advantages that I don't have but I personally don't miss the aptxHD as I never was able to tell the difference between the two :p
    I'm an audiophile and I also struggle to tell the difference between aptX and aptX HD
    Snapdragon version of Samsung (lucky worldwide for all fold models), with support for aptX has quite decent BT audio, one of the loudest and crispier among android devices. In dev options i always check disable absolute volume to have my headphones not tamed by my phone limits.
    I use true wireless quite cheap Liberty air 2, but have decent over the ears 🎧 Bowers &Willkins P7 wireless and they sound nice, no complain.
    Is there anything more i can do to improve more my headphones sound quality ?