Samsung Galaxy Gear with Tizen - All things Tizen here.

Grimcreaper

Jul 24, 2011
Can we please get some info in the OP if this is going to be the official Tizen discussion thread? Things like what release we're supposed to use based on what country (I'm in the US and have no idea which Tizen release to choose), tips and tricks, etc? Thanks guys.

Agreed, which version is the US one? the SIO lists N/a but i doubt thats the right one for some reason.

According to Kies 3 im currrently using XAR?

kminatta

Apr 28, 2008
Phoenix
Ap the correct choice

Instructions
Extract (unzip) the firmware file
Download Odin v3.09
Extract Odin zip-file
Open Odin v3.09
Reboot gear in Download Mode
1. Plug in the Gear

2.From being powered on, (Bootable or not) press and hold the button of the right until the Gear shows "Samsung Galaxy Gear Rebooting" and rapidly press the button until you get to the "Select REBOOT MODE" screen.

3. Highlight "Download" in the list by pressing the button to scroll.

4. Press and hold the button for 3 seconds (and let go! The screen won't change immediately) and let it boot into download mode.
thank you so much. i went to Youtube and looked up how to remove Root which included those steps. it is upgrading now!

gadjet

Oct 3, 2004
Gloucestershire, UK
Just wondering if Watch Styler will work with the Tizen OS. According to gearfaces.com only the analog themes work. Would like to not loose any customization I have currently. I know this is minor but it is part of what I like about my GG1.
Hi mrfett79
Just updated to Tizen great! but watch styler a no go until someone shows us how, I downloaded watchstyler 1.2.01 from gear faces but it doesn't show up the gear clocks section even if you allow unknown sources in settings, you just get an error message from gear manger at end of install "failed to install the app"????

Edit: after looking around it seems we have to wait for multi-watch to appear in gear manger, samsung apps store before we can use analogue watch styler faces, bummer...:(

Last edited:

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
thank you so much. i went to Youtube and looked up how to remove Root which included those steps. it is upgrading now!
Oops, I didn't think of that. What were the steps to remove root OR a link to the video?
Nevermind, I think I found the solution. Basically we have to download and flash first the Android version NC1 (BTU) for USA file through Odin then proceed with the Tizen upgrade.

Grimcreaper

Jul 24, 2011
Hi guys, one question: but after installation this software update the bluetooth work with bluetooth speaker???
How do you use Kies 3 to manually update? Ive been poking around a little bit but cant figure it out. Or am i barking up the wrong tree entirely? Ive never used Odin.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
How do you use Kies 3 to manually update? Ive been poking around a little bit but cant figure it out. Or am i barking up the wrong tree entirely? Ive never used Odin.
If your Gear is stock and your CSC (region) has the update available, Kies will offer the update when you plug your Gear in. If your Gear isn't stock, for example rooted or running a different region's s/w from the shipped CSC, you can install any region's s/w via Odin. Odin's pretty harmless. Some simple steps:

1. Download Odin, any version will do.

2. Download the Tizen update from Samfirmware or Samsung-updates. I'm in the U.S. and used BTU (UK).

3. Extract the file you downloaded

4. Put your Gear in download mode by holding the power button for seven seconds and once the display says "rebooting" mash on it repeatedly until a selection menu appears.

5. One of the selections is "download." Mash on the button a few times with download highlighted and your Gear should enter download mode.

6. Open Odin and put the file you extracted in either AP or PDA depending on which Odin version you're using.

7. Plug your Gear in to your PC via USB and it should be recognized by Odin.

8. Click "start" and you'll see a bunch of files being transferred in the lower left pane of Odin. When finished it should say "success."

9. Unplug your Gear from your PC and re-sync it to your phone with Gear Manager.

When your region receives the update, repeat the steps above using your region's ROM. That way you'll be "official" if you need warranty repair. Since the Gear came out I haven't heard any reports of differences in h/w or s/w by region so I think they are all the same. A Gear's a Gear and a ROM's a ROM no matter what CSC or region is assigned. That's very different from Samsung's phones and tablets where there can be big s/w differences between regions.

P.S. - Heimdall's the "Odin" for Macs. I know nothing about it and can't help the Mac-inclined.

Grimcreaper

Jul 24, 2011
If your Gear is stock and your CSC (region) has the update available, Kies will offer the update when you plug your Gear in. If your Gear isn't stock, for example rooted or running a different region's s/w from the shipped CSC, you can install any region's s/w via Odin. Odin's pretty harmless. Some simple steps:

1. Download Odin, any version will do.

2. Download the Tizen update from Samfirmware or Samsung-updates. I'm in the U.S. and used BTU (UK).

3. Extract the file you downloaded

4. Put your Gear in download mode by holding the power button for seven seconds and once the display says "rebooting" mash on it repeatedly until a selection menu appears.

5. One of the selections is "download." Mash on the button a few times with download highlighted and your Gear should enter download mode.

6. Open Odin and put the file you extracted in either AP or PDA depending on which Odin version you're using.

7. Plug your Gear in to your PC via USB and it should be recognized by Odin.

8. Click "start" and you'll see a bunch of files being transferred in the lower left pane of Odin. When finished it should say "success."

9. Unplug your Gear from your PC and re-sync it to your phone with Gear Manager.

When your region receives the update, repeat the steps above using your region's ROM. That way you'll be "official" if you need warranty repair. Since the Gear came out I haven't heard any reports of differences in h/w or s/w by region so I think they are all the same. A Gear's a Gear and a ROM's a ROM no matter what CSC or region is assigned. That's very different from Samsung's phones and tablets where there can be big s/w differences between regions.

P.S. - Heimdall's the "Odin" for Macs. I know nothing about it and can't help the Mac-inclined.
Thank you much, i really appreciate the info :)

SeauxCrazy

Jul 21, 2010
I've downloaded Kies, but it's saying my firmware is already up to date. I'm assuming it's because it hasn't been released to our region yet?

I'm on a Mac also, does Odin have a mac variant so I could update my watch manually with the UK version?

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
So tempted since I don't use watch styler anymore as it drains my battery but I don't want to lose 60 seconds recording and the silent camera with null rom. It doesn't seem like there's much benefit besides greater battery life.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yohng

Nov 9, 2008
Ho Chi Minh City
Hi,
Just upgrade to Tizen with BTU (GB) firmware.
First remark, I'm pretty sure, there is no consequence with CSC version, mine is still THO (Thailand).

The market is very very poor. A lot of people report it; this is really true ! (I miss Watch Styler and Evernote)

However, the soft is much better, We can now plug to PC as USB and manage files in internal SD (2Go).
The most powerfull is the music player with pairing to BT headphone/speaker.

I don't know if you notice that Gear Manager became slower and slower with Gear under Android.
Gear Manager for Tizen is really faster.

rob419

Nov 3, 2012
pittsburgh
Does anyone who actually upgraded Gear1 to Tizen have any HARD specs/numbers for battery life? And I mean, motion wake up on, random notifications.. Etc.. And also on that,, are there viable options to txt from watch, receive noti's and whatnot?

What are the Actual benefits to upgrading? (if an upgrade it really is....)

.werd.

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
i don't think battery life is such a big dealbreaker.

So tempted since I don't use watch styler anymore as it drains my battery but I don't want to lose 60 seconds recording and the silent camera with null rom. It doesn't seem like there's much benefit besides greater battery life.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
hi , from what i have been reading in the Gear 2 forums ( over period of time )
My opinion...is there is not such big diffs in battery ( ..that said ...if you mantain/manage your Gear 1 correctly ! )
My average ( moderate power user ,wake up gesture off ) is about +- 20% a day .
I can get 3 plus days ,no problem !
Most of the replies /comments i read, commented on 3...4 days battery use with Gear 2
Further
to me the most " interesting point" between Gear 1 and Gear 2 is that
a lot of Gear 2 user's wants to "flash " Android onto Tizen...!
and Gear 1 forums( past week or so comments ) a lot of users wanted... to flash Tizen ?
Also my Gear 1 can do most of what Gear 2 can do ..extra's like..
I can also play music ,watch video's ( i use Quickpic app to do this )
My opinion is to just to relax and " monitor" where Tizen is going ?
( so far nowhere,no apps, no big diffs overall .I think we are the best placed at moment !!!)
Good luck to all

Reactions: znube63

orphan203

Feb 13, 2012
It worked for me. I love the new software. I can actually connect my BT headset to the watch and load music on the watch and listen to it conserving my phone battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

NakedFaerie

Mar 26, 2005
Anyone tried TWRP yet?
Is anyone trying to downgrade and had any luck?
I'm not impressed with Tizen at all.

I did use the sleep app while I was asleep and it took 50% battery in 4 hours so its kinda stupid and useless as when you wake up you need to charge it which is what you usually do while your sleeping.
And as for battery life it doesn't look like much has changed. I've been playing around with the watch for the last 30 mins and lost 10% battery.

Last edited: