• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Samsung Galaxy M21 2021 Edition (SM-M215G/DS)

Search This thread

OldNoobOne

I own some old samsung Galaxy models like J7 Prime and had tried good Custom ROMs on them but up recent I purchased this Samsung Galaxy M21 2021 Edition (SM-M215G/DS) a few days ago thinking that it's going to be same as Galaxy M21 2019 (SM-M215F) model, to my horor its bootloader & recovery seems to work differently from J7 prime (with bar codes in download mode) . So it's a differrent model. The bootloader unlock process on this Galaxy M21 2021 Edition is same as mentioned in Galaxy M21 2019 thread ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-full-oneui-10-totsukaos-q-for-galaxy-m21.4219975/ ) but none of the unofficial TWRP recoveries work nor does Magisk boot.img patch method work for rooting this model. Samsung does not support Fastboot as I understand & everything ends with Error : Signature verification failed. The only option left to me is sell off this phone but its so new.
If any developer can help me with some Custom Recovery that could install itself for rooting and perhaps custom ROM (I know I'm asking for too much 😟) for this device (SM-M215/DS), I will gladly donate $20.00/month for a year (Pls consider the bad times of pandemic we all are in). As right now I've put up this device (SM-M215G/DS) for sale. I've attached a few screenshots of the device maybe it could help any Dev who's interested (Hopefully :confused:).

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_183247.jpg
    IMG_20210820_183247.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20210820_183422_1.jpg
    IMG_20210820_183422_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210820_183431.jpg
    IMG_20210820_183431.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20210821_172733.jpg
    IMG_20210821_172733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210821_172755.jpg
    IMG_20210821_172755.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

OldNoobOne

Awesome! Thankyou so much for your quick response and elaborate details. Particularly the warning at the end part. Im collecting those zip files you mentioned above and I have linux only and dont want to use windoze and should learn to use heimdall instead of odin. Are you trying to say without a custom rom there is not much use in bootloader unlocking, custom recovery and rooting?
Hey radikyrick, youre welcome.
1) [offTopic] ahaha i love to watch Linux Vs Win furious debates hereNthere; In short, as per my experiences as a user I conclude -
Linux = Cook & Eat (If you have plenty time) while Win = Packaged food (if youre in a hurry)
2) GSI, Custom ROM , Custom Recovery would need unlocked bootloader. For recent shamshung devices Rooting can be done using Download Mode too but that again needs bootloader unlocked as far as I know. [ Unless UhbuntuTouch comes out with an ODIN-like PC Flasher to get Linux OS (older cousin of andoid) on all devices including M215G without unlocking bootloader ]

radikyrick

Jan 29, 2019
Hey radikyrick, youre welcome.
1) [offTopic] ahaha i love to watch Linux Vs Win furious debates hereNthere; In short, as per my experiences as a user I conclude -
Linux = Cook & Eat (If you have plenty time) while Win = Packaged food (if youre in a hurry)
2) GSI, Custom ROM , Custom Recovery would need unlocked bootloader. For recent shamshung devices Rooting can be done using Download Mode too but that again needs bootloader unlocked as far as I know. [ Unless UhbuntuTouch comes out with an ODIN-like PC Flasher to get Linux OS (older cousin of andoid) on all devices including M215G without unlocking bootloader ]

There is heimdall available for linux to unlock bootloader and flash rom in samsung devices.

radikyrick

Jan 29, 2019
I own some old samsung Galaxy models like J7 Prime and had tried good Custom ROMs on them but up recent I purchased this Samsung Galaxy M21 2021 Editi
If any developer can help me with some Custom Recovery that could install itself for rooting and perhaps custom ROM (I know I'm asking for too much 😟) for this device (SM-M215/DS), I will gladly donate $20.00/month for a year (Pls consider the bad times of pandemic we all are in). As right now I've put up this device (SM-M215G/DS) for sale. I've attached a few screenshots of the device maybe it could help any Dev who's interested (Hopefully :confused:).
Hi@OldNoobOne ! @soulr344 in galaxy m21 telegram group is willing to develop fulltime for m21-2021. He likes to get in touch with you:)
https://t.me/SamsungGalaxyM21Discussion
@soulr344Screenshot_20211114-211629_1.jpgScreenshot_20211114-211656_1.jpg

Last edited:

OldNoobOne

Hi@OldNoobOne ! @soulr344 in galaxy m21 telegram group is willing to develop fulltime for m21-2021. He likes to get in touch with you:)
https://t.me/SamsungGalaxyM21Discussion
@soulr344View attachment 5458145View attachment 5458147
Finally, Thats wonderful news Radikyrick..awesome job bruh! (y),
but..there are two issues;

1) I got banned on telegram (t.me) by Rose Bot as I was pranking with Rose Bot ( I had kept her DP as mine & posted a few msgs so she banned me) , so i cant contact Soulr344 on t.me.

2) Also, I had made that $20.00 offer almost 3 months ago when the device was just launched (shamshung mustve sold a million of M215G by now already), after which I suffered some financial loses ( The rooster I had bet on had lost a few major fights in a row over a few weeks )

3) Radik bruh, look.. I can still make donate $5/month for a year to Soulr344, So if you could find some more donors for Soulr344 on telegram that would be really nice coz we could still have a ROM for M215G that way you know. All we will need is 3 or 4 more guys willing to chip in to pool the funds for soulr344.

Think about it ok? Also, to be fair If Soulr344 does make a ROM for M215G then anyone with the same device will benefit from it so its for the benefit of all users not just me right?

Thanks

Last edited:

radikyrick

Jan 29, 2019
Finally, Thats wonderful news Radikyrick..awesome job bruh! (y),
but..there are two issues;

1) I got banned on telegram (t.me) by Rose Bot as I was pranking with Rose Bot ( I had kept her DP as mine & posted a few msgs so she banned me) , so i cant contact Soulr344 on t.me.
There is no rose bot here at m21 group.
You can dropby if you are interested. Completely agree with your other points. Not only m21-2021 but all the m21 users will also benefit because both models are same. Hope for the best:)

OldNoobOne

There is no rose bot here at m21 group.
You can dropby if you are interested. Completely agree with your other points. Not only m21-2021 but all the m21 users will also benefit because both models are same. Hope for the best:)
1) Yup, i agree no Rose Bot in t.me m21 Group (I think Izumi Uchiha Bot manages that group) but I was banned from Telegram by Rose Bot, so if I try to log into t.me I get msg "This phone no. has been banned, contact telegram support", so I cant log into telegram altogether, its not about a particular t.me group. :-/

2) Dev Soulr344 doesnt respond to DM on XDA i suppose coz I had tried to contact him through reply on his-- Soulr344 TWRP for M21--post but he never replied. [ I was looking for an Identical TWRP for xiaomi RN10 which wont have A-B Slot to boot on just like M21 TWRP ].

Last edited:

radikyrick

Jan 29, 2019
1) Yup, i agree no Rose Bot in t.me m21 Group (I think Izumi Uchiha Bot manages that group) but I was banned from Telegram by Rose Bot, so if I try to log into t.me I get msg "This phone no. has been banned, contact telegram support", so I cant log into telegram altogether, its not about a particular t.me group. :-/

2) Dev Soulr344 doesnt respond to DM on XDA i suppose coz I had tried to contact him through reply on his-- Soulr344 TWRP for M21--post but he never replied. [ I was looking for an Identical TWRP for xiaomi RN10 which wont have A-B Slot to boot on just like M21 TWRP ].

Screenshot_20211116-175030_1.jpg

OldNoobOne

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    Android is nothing else then a derivated Linux. In the world of Linux the Root User is the user that has all rights esp. accessing / modifying system files, it's comparable to the Administrator in the world of Windows.
    In the world of Linux this Root User typically is called superuser ( commonly abbreviated: SU ). In the world of Android such a superuser isn't in general implemented by default: it must get added to Android by modding it, means adding a SU ( read: Switch User ) binary - in whatever form - to Android what is systemwide accessible. In the world of Android an user root exists what is the user with user ID 0.
    Magisk is successor to XPosed, means a software framework what once get added to Android allows you to systemless apply modules, means some functionalities modders are missing on standard Android. The crux with Magisk is it patches device's bootloader.
    I need to hop on and correct a few details here...

Magisk is not a successor to Xposed. That's like comparing apples and oranges. If you want to know how Magisk came to be John has written about that in a couple of places, here for example:

And Magisk does not patch the bootloader, but the ramdisk which can be found in either the boot or recovery image depending on your device. Details about that here:
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/boot.html
    Yes you know as you were a developer before; but from what I found out was that Dev/Block holds the software. If you want to check on latest developements on SM-M215F, I would advise you to check 👉 ( https://t.me/SamsungGalaxyM21Discussion ) thread Or ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/samsung-galaxy-m21.11849/ ).
    Also, can you tell me why if we wipe all the partitions from Twrp or any other custom recovery the device storage still shows 6-8 GB unusable space? Thanks in advance.

When it comes to being a developer, am more of a hobbiest. Making a custom ROM is a tall task. It will take me a long time. Hence I said I can helps with parts of it.

As per your second question there are a few things to consider
    1. You actually never delete all the partitions. For eg, you might only wipe the data and cache partition to flash an update. You also won't wipe other core partitions like recovery or bootloader.
    2. A few years back, they changed how the OS partition works. In simple terms, there are two copies of it. This ensures seamless updating for OEMs. While you use a partition, the update is applied to the other one. Then you can shift to the updated partition. This has many benefits, like if something happens and the update gets corrupted, you can still use your phone.
    uhm...this link is programmers stuff. Ok cool so we noobs need to wait for somebody to take interest in this this device. Thanks (y)
    That link was not meant as a way for you to figure out how to root your device. It was merely added as a little bit if extra info on how Magisk patches the boot/recovery image (for those interested).

At least you've figured out that you shouldn't use fastboot on a Samsung device, that's a good step in the right direction. But have you tried the official installation instructions? There's a whole separate section for Samsung in there:
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#samsung-system-as-root
    Working Root solution for Samsung Galaxy M21 2021 Edition (SM-M215G/DS ) can be found on this link ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-m21-letest-android-11-one-ui-3.4227569/ ). I want to thank the Devs who created the boot.img ODIN patch file :love:. It worked like a charm and Magisk v23 is working fine on this device. Hopefully some Dev would try to make Custom Recovery & Custom ROM for this device someday soon. I can just donate as i'm not a developer.