• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 hands on

Search This thread

onepoint

Nov 28, 2007
I am really hoping this is legit, it is close to 5 months since the MWC announcement.
The launch of the note 10.1 was no-where near as smooth as the Galaxy S3.

The model is listed as GT-N8013EAVXAR -- the GT-N8013 FCC filing listed it as a "smartphone" (http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/samsung-gt-n8013-tablet-hits-the-fcc-reveals-few-details/). It doesn't look like any sites are listing phone-specific capabilities, however.

And it looks like the J&R link is gone :confused:

freedomispopular

Apr 25, 2011
Yeah the JR link is gone. Looks like they may have jumped the gun again. As disappointing as the wait has been, I'm glad they're taking the time to perfect it. Releasing it without a pen slot would have been unacceptable IMO.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note

driekus33

Jun 6, 2012
Yeah the JR link is gone. Looks like they may have jumped the gun again. As disappointing as the wait has been, I'm glad they're taking the time to perfect it. Releasing it without a pen slot would have been unacceptable IMO.

There is a big difference between perfecting it and going too far.
I am going to wait till the Asus infinity comes out then make a decision. If Samsung cant get there act together by then I will probably skip getting the Note.

LayZeeDK

Jan 6, 2010
Is it J&R that's showing a 40% surcharge? XDA won't let me post a link, but the EC "TARIC Consultation" website publishes EU tariff rates, and the result for tablets (code 847130) from the USA is a tariff rate of 0%, so it's probably either shipping costs or J&R taking a fee for itself. You might compare the surcharges for EU destinations that other retailers charge for similarly priced tablets, in case there's variation.
Can anyone confirm this? When I try to calculate the import fee by Danish standards, I have to pay like 40% for tablets.

mkumar12345

May 31, 2011
It's embarrassing how much longer it is taking for Samsung, Asus etc. to release a proper competitor to Apple's new iPad. Do you guys remember when Samsung released a comparison between its "upcoming" galaxy note 10.1 and the new iPad the day that Apple announced it?

Here is one article about it:
http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-strikes-back-compares-galaxy-note-10-1-vs-new-ipad-20120307/

That was back in March!
Yet 4 months later we don't have a whiff of a formal announcement, only pre-order pages that keep getting removed. Even though this is the tablet I am waiting for, it's hard to not see why Apple is the market leader when it comes to tablets.

ChocSoldier

Mar 17, 2011
It's embarrassing how much longer it is taking for Samsung, Asus etc. to release a proper competitor to Apple's new iPad. Do you guys remember when Samsung released a comparison between its "upcoming" galaxy note 10.1 and the new iPad the day that Apple announced it?

Here is one article about it:
http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-strikes-back-compares-galaxy-note-10-1-vs-new-ipad-20120307/

That was back in March!
Yet 4 months later we don't have a whiff of a formal announcement, only pre-order pages that keep getting removed. Even though this is the tablet I am waiting for, it's hard to not see why Apple is the market leader when it comes to tablets.

In my opinion, Asus already has decent competition, but I'll agree that the Note 10.1 is taking far too long and some sort of ETA would be nice. The pre-order pages going up and down are annoying, getting my hopes up :(

onepoint

Nov 28, 2007
In my opinion, Asus already has decent competition, but I'll agree that the Note 10.1 is taking far too long and some sort of ETA would be nice. The pre-order pages going up and down are annoying, getting my hopes up :(

Agreed -- I can see a certain strategy behind the hide-n-seek, as far as gauging demand and stirring chatter are concerned (e.g., hundreds of "trustworthy" tech websites reporting on the Note 10.1's long awaited appearance/disappearance on vendor websites), but on some level there must be a fair number of consumers growing tired of the delays and choosing competitors' products. Had I not fallen into an iPad2 via gift, I would have gone elsewhere by now; as it stands, I'm going the wait-and-trade route and enduring the often painful experience of taking "notes" with a capacitive stylus (Adonit Jot Pro).

On that point: I'm a member of the seemingly large class of consumers who really (really...) want a tablet with Wacom-based stylus input for the purpose(s) of: (1) taking notes; and/or (2) art/graphic drawing capabilities.

While I would actually prefer a ~7" tablet with S Pen function from Samsung, I'm willing to go with their 10" model if/when it finally arrives. That is, unless the Microsoft Windows 8-based tablets light a marketing fire first. I was very interested in the Microsoft Surface, until I came to realize that the Surface RT model (i.e., the cheaper model running Metro-only on ARM processors) will not include enhanced stylus support.

So I'm left with waiting for the Note 10.1, or pursuing some other product that pops up which can fill the void of ~$400-800(?), 7"-10" tablet with Wacom-based stylus input. At this point, the OS isn't of primary importance to me.

P.S. -- Competent handwriting recognition software (e.g., Microsoft OneNote, Microsoft Journal) would seal the deal, quickly.

Windows 8 tablet manufacturers: Do you hear us?

xdapao3

Oct 31, 2008
It's embarrassing how much longer it is taking for Samsung, Asus etc. to release a proper competitor to Apple's new iPad.
The iPad is pure, unadulterated crap. It sells because the average consumer uses "tech" devices for a fraction of what they can do and cares much more about the perceived "quality", status and general appeal of the gadgets they buy.

iOS is a dumbed down, oversimplified and (often purposefully) crippled mobile OS and the iPad itself is the HEAVIEST tablet out there (and until the iPad3 had the WORST DISPLAY of all too, at least in terms of PPI which Apple is now telling us is the defining quality of a display...). It also has a metal back which I personally hate the feel of and until the iPad3 had ****ty cameras or no camera at all and most of all little RAM which made (as did the OS itself) multitasking a royal pain in the ass.

There is only ONE thing I like about the iPad: the Smart Cover. I don't use nor have ever used covers of any kind with my mobile devices but the Smart Cover is very well done indeed.

P.S. just to add: if I had to buy a tablet today I would get a Transformer TF300 or an Infinity. LIGHT YEARS ahead of the iCrap in EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

trevinokri

Jul 8, 2012
I've been waiting much too long for this tablet. It's the perfect tablet for a college student. I love the S Pen and everything about it. I just wish I knew its release date already!!! I hope it comes with Jelly Bean.

ChocSoldier

Mar 17, 2011
I've been waiting much too long for this tablet. It's the perfect tablet for a college student. I love the S Pen and everything about it. I just wish I knew its release date already!!! I hope it comes with Jelly Bean.

I second that, it fills a niche in the market that only the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet can fulfil (though that's quite old, and not a huge fan of the design). Windows 8 tablets in theory look good, but like onepoint, it's the pen feature that is drawing me to the Note 10.1. Being able to take down notes or write on PDF lecture slides (legibly..) as well as being able to play around with the drawing through pressure sensitivy and that type of stuff (could get me into designing random stuff again) really appeals to me. It could really catch on if people realise the difference between a typical device and aftermarket stylus (and how messy it can kinda get) and something like this. Hopefully it causes more tablet makers to start including a digitised pen feature.

onepoint

Nov 28, 2007
I second that, it fills a niche in the market that only the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet can fulfil (though that's quite old, and not a huge fan of the design). Windows 8 tablets in theory look good, but like onepoint, it's the pen feature that is drawing me to the Note 10.1. Being able to take down notes or write on PDF lecture slides (legibly..) as well as being able to play around with the drawing through pressure sensitivy and that type of stuff (could get me into designing random stuff again) really appeals to me. It could really catch on if people realise the difference between a typical device and aftermarket stylus (and how messy it can kinda get) and something like this. Hopefully it causes more tablet makers to start including a digitised pen feature.

My understanding is the n-trig technology used in the Lenovo is inferior to Wacom-based technology (such as that used in the Galaxy Note) where accuracy and pressure sensitivity are concerned.

ChocSoldier

Mar 17, 2011
My understanding is the n-trig technology used in the Lenovo is inferior to Wacom-based technology (such as that used in the Galaxy Note) where accuracy and pressure sensitivity are concerned.

You learn something new every day, I thought it was Wacom but some sort of lesser version or something. If that's the case, then that gives me even more reason to spend more for the Note 10.1, and like I said, hopefully it sets some sort of precedent in terms of standard tablet input.

mkumar12345

May 31, 2011
It's true that there is no tablet out there right now with a Wacom digitizer built-in. That is its only differentiating factor. If not for that, I would prefer to buy the Asus Transformer Infinity which gives me an option of battery-keyboard-dock which I found to be extremely useful (I tried the 1st gen transformer).

driekus33

Jun 6, 2012
I think Samsung will get eaten alive if they dont get this out in the next month.
The Microsoft Surface Pro will destroy the Note 10.1. I am a linux user and the Surface is tempting and that really says a lot.

mkumar12345

May 31, 2011
Here is a new rumor that someone posted on the gsmarena website comments section.

"galaxy note 10.1 finally will be released in Korea on 19th of this month (business customers first), and according to rumors it will have 2gig ram and 1920*1200 display."

If it does indeed release with those specs then it will rise to the top of the heap of current tablets.

hshah

Dec 24, 2005

driekus33

Jun 6, 2012
It would be great but I doubt it will happen. An anonymous poster on an internet forum is hardly something that can be relied on. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

freedomispopular

Apr 25, 2011
I think Samsung will get eaten alive if they dont get this out in the next month.
The Microsoft Surface Pro will destroy the Note 10.1. I am a linux user and the Surface is tempting and that really says a lot.
I would completely agree except for the fact that Pro will most likely be twice the cost of this. If only RT was going to have active pen support...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: I had to take the videos down for the moment at Samsung's request. There is information that they are about to change some design features and specs, but I don't know when and what exactly. I'm sorry for the situation, but I assure you I'll post them back as soon as I get word of it! Thank you for your interest and patience :)

I've had the chance to play around with the Note 10.1, that's the tablet with the S Pen. The reason they've delayed the release is that they've changed it dramatically since the preview at the MWC. It now has a 1.4GHz quadcore processor (I think it's the Exynos on the SIII), a 5 MP camera (instead of the 3.15) and the back got a hyperglazed finish just as the SIII. I've had the pebble blue one and I'm not sure if there is a marble white one.

The S Pen is much bigger than the Note 5.3 (looks EXACTLY the same), but smaller than the model shown at the MWC and it now fits inside a vertical hole in the lower left side. An amazing software feature is the Photoshop Touch app which is brilliant (as you may see in my video).

Here are my videos:
    Short hands on presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueOIjW5cIo
    S Pen and Photoshop Touch review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0b0SRT_D74

It's an astonishing device, clearly stepping way higher in the high end line and it works like a charm. If you have questions feel free to ask, but unfortunately I no longer have it to do extra demos.
    Even 1920x1080 are too low for a 10.1. To compete with ipad visual quality they can barely put this resolution into a 8.9, but for a 10.1... no way it's too low.
    Omg, Samsung is fond of low ppi especially if fullRGB, yes it's cheaper to build but OMG!
    BS.
    1920x1080 is normal-sized monitor HD resolution, to say it's too low for a 10.1" screen is beyond ridiculous.

iPhone's "Retina" resolution is completely worthless on a useless 3.5", iPad's "Retina" display is overkill. The higher the resolution the better... up to a point.
    Beyond that you are just paying a weight and power consumption (and also brightness in the case of the Ipad) penalty without getting your worth (the higher the resolutions the less your eye is able to see the difference).
    Full HD resolution on a 10.1" would be ideal.

P.S. "Samsung is fond of low ppi"??
    The Galaxy Tab 10.1's PPI is over 10% higher than the iPad2's.
    Guys, can we please stop the debate over PPI and screens and crap and get back on topic? If you're so concerned, go watch a youtube video comparing the two or something, it's all subjective so who cares.

OP, your videos have been marked private, I didn't get to watch :(

I too am wondering about a release date and also, is the pen comfortable for long periods of writing? I was literally about to buy a TPT before seeing that this was announced. Now I'm excited :3

Well..as long as it doesn't cost me my firstborn child
    Normal sized monitor is not meant to be used as close as a tablet.
    Normal sized monitors are on average around 2/2.5 times larger than a tablet, measure the distance from your desktop or laptop monitor to your eyes and the distance at which you keep your tablet and tell me the latter is more than 2/2.5 times the former (and yours is smaller than the average 10.1" tablet too).

The closer a device is used the higher the ppi should be. For a smartphone pixels start beeing unnoticeable from 320-330ppi. Actually the best job is made by lg with 1280x720 on a 4.3" and 342ppi, higher than apple.
    What use are high resolution displays if they are too small to do anything remotely productive on them in the first place??
    What are you going to do on a puny "Retina" 3.5" display?? Image editing?? Browsing desktop websites?? Editing autocad files?? Spreadsheets??

The only smartphone around, today, which is truly useful and in many ways usable as a small portable "computer" is the Galaxy Note. Talking about slight variances in PPI as if those other tiny displays were actually usable doing things where PPI matters is ludicrous..

The tablet is meant to be used less close than a phone, so the ppi can be lower, around 250... the value adopted by apple in ipad3.
    So for an optimal view the ppi has to be higher. 1280x800 on a 10.1 does mean a too low ppi (maybe not for a monitor, but surely for a tablet).
    Of course the display of the New iPad is way better than a 1280x800 10.1" Android tablet, your original point was that the New Ipad "Retina" display was way better than a full HD 10.1" Android tablet too which is what I called BS.
    Ipad 3's PPI is 264, an HD 10.1" (which BTW would be 1980x1200 and not 1980x1020 like you said since most Android tablets are 16:10) like the announced Transformer Infinity will be 224.

So I repeat: saying (like you did) that a 224 PPI tablet display is "too low and can't compete with the visual quality" of a 264 PPI tablet display in the same size class is beyond ridiculous.

And yes, I confirm that samsung is fond of low ppi devices. You tell me the higest ppi of a fullRGB display of a Samsung device.
    First HD tablet has been the iPad3, a couple of months ago, and other HD displays on 10" tablets are just NOW being announced.
    So, where are you seeing all these HD tablets??

As I told you, up until the New iPad a couple of months back, Apple had the lowest PPI one in its size class (and comparing low PPIs, unlike the high PPIs comparisons you were making, differences ARE noticeable).

FullRGB only, because the pentile matrix trash doesn't worth any talk, you know that at ppi being equal the visual quality of a pentile is much lower due to less subpixels, so i.e. the actual ppi of a 300ppi samoled hd is around 250, but this is something already well known.
    The "trash" SuperAMOLED HD 5.3" display of my Note is the very reason I bought it and it's why I can see NO real alternative to it today.
    It's not perfect by any means but it's BY FAR the OVERALL best display around and it's what makes the Note actually useful and a pleasure to use.

I fell in love with AMOLED displays with my Galaxy S and have had only AMOLED displays since, going from the S to the SII and then to the Note as soon as it was available in Europe.
    "Trash" is what I call all the other displays, thank you.

These stupid slight differences in comparable PPIs which you are raving over are totally MEANINGLESS when get those slightly higher PPIs on, for example, minuscule 3.5" iPhone displays which you can't really do anything on or when you consider that you pay the overkill iPad3 PPI by getting one of the heavier (if not THE heaviest) tablet around (and monster power consumption, overheating problems and a hit in brightness to boot).
    It's not me, it's the human eye, just read indepentend scientific and academic articles mybe you can learn something about the visual acuity.

Since more than half of the human population needs corrective lenses this entire topic is comical. Most of us couldn't tell the difference between 240 dpi and a Galaxy if our life depended on it. If you can do so consider yourself lucky. And young. Give time a chance and you'll be in the same boat as the rest of us.

Spewing a bunch of scientific facts about acuity that only applies to a miniscule piece of the population makes for a weak argument.

For the vast majority of people that buy into retina hype they've wasted money for no reason. I admit it's a terrific marketing ploy for the iPad 3 which doesn't improve much over the iPad2. It works for Apple. That's what they do best: marketing.

If you notice a difference then buy an iPad. The rest of us will look at something that looks the same and not sweat the scientific facts.

Some day in the future Apple will add a second speaker to the iPad and proclaim they invented stereo. Until they do, I'd never consider an iPad. I consider stereo infinitely more important than a retina display.