Samsung Galaxy Phone Rapid Charger Mod

Search This thread
Limits?

From the perspective of limits it sounds like it open ended. Obviously a pc will only put out a limited amount of current because of design. Focusing on chargers or DC Sources is key. With a typical phone charger the circuit will only deliver power to its rating (assuming RMS).
Because the resistance needs to change (Kernel/ROM mods) for more to be drawn.
The technology behind the battery chemistry is the key. We can mod sw/fw for any amount so mAh of the battery is the limit. One can take a power supply (potential source of unlimited current) and connect directly to the changing circuit of the phone (which eliminates wire gauge concerns).
Heat is the enemy of electronics, so keep it kool and it will improve the design and make it safer.

In the end Lithium Polymer based cells have limits like every battery before it........

Last edited:

Jaytronics

I wanted to shed some light on this subject. I have a TRAXXAS REVO3.3 that I converted over to electric. I did a ton of research on lithium batteries. Specifically lithium polymer. But also on lithium ion. There is a constant when charging lithium batteries. You can always charge them at a 1C rate. For example, if your battery is a 1500mAh battery. You can safely charger it at 1.5Amps. Giving you a 1hr charge to full. Now, when you charge a battery, the chemistry inside is the resistance to the charge yet it holds the charge. With resistance comes heat. And heat to lithium is a catalyst to oxidation. This is what shortens the life of lithium greatly. Now, charging that same 1500mAh at .8Amps or 800mAh is charging it at under the 1C rate. This equals less heat and greatly prolongs the life of the battery. But the chemistry of these batteries has and is changing.
Now granted my REVO uses lipo. The chemistry in it allows me to charge the 5A or 5000mAh battery at 3C. That is cutting the charge time to one third of an hour. Because it can charge at 15A or 15000mAh. Do I do that? No, even though I can I do not. At $89 per battery and I have two. I want them to last as long as they can. I usually charge at the 1C rating.
So, modifying the kernels to charge at higher rates is OK with in obvious lithium chemistry limits. But you have to take into factor the discharge rate the phone takes up.
Also remember, heat not is, but can be bad for these batteries. It is good to the extent that the battery needs to be above a certain temp for the molecules to be able to move freely and except the charge properly. But bad at higher temps because oxidation starts to happen at a greatly increased rate. We also have to take into consideration the ambient temp. That is the outside of the batteries temp. If it is summer time and blazing hot outside and you decide to mount your phone on the dashboard or in a window mount. The sun will beat down on that phone like there was no tomorrow. If the phone is black. Then it will be much worse much faster. Try charging the phone then at any rate. The batteries life is most certainly going to have its life expectancy halved or greater. On top of that the phones usually go into heat protection mode and shut down and stop charging all together. Any way I just wanted to share this little bit of info. I will post some links to battery studies when I find them.
By the way, thanks for the tip on this mod for the faster charging.

One other thing that I forgot to mention. Unlike RC car batteries, cell phone batteries have circuits built into the head of them. I am assuming that is for protection when charging them. Not sure if that needs to be taken into consideration though. I doubt it. But it is more info to dissect.
[Edit] I remember. This circuit on the battery is a discharge protection circuit. It prevents the battery from going below the lowest voltage threshold.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Just a cool bit of info.
http://m.green.autoblog.com/2012/08...ng-tech-could-refill-li-ion-battery-in-a-min/

Last edited:
Reactions: TRusselo

crash613

Mar 13, 2008
I read this thread from start to finish... I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I tried the charger that came with it, and i get the Charging (AC)... i plugged it into computer and get the Charging (USB).

I tried a different power cord. It is one that I bought online from an overseas company in china. It says "samsung" on it, but it only cost 2 dollars, so i don't know.. But it, too, reports AC charging. So my question is, does anyone know if this has been fixed for the note 2? will any, ole, charger work for me?

EDIT: just tried a Verizon branded car charging cable that we've had for over 2 years. It reports AC charging too. I am wondering if i am really getting AC charge, or if the problem doesn't apply to the note 2 and/or the cables i have

Last edited:

melvinchng

Oct 17, 2010
Penang
I read this thread from start to finish... I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I tried the charger that came with it, and i get the Charging (AC)... i plugged it into computer and get the Charging (USB).

I tried a different power cord. It is one that I bought online from an overseas company in china. It says "samsung" on it, but it only cost 2 dollars, so i don't know.. But it, too, reports AC charging. So my question is, does anyone know if this has been fixed for the note 2? will any, ole, charger work for me?

EDIT: just tried a Verizon branded car charging cable that we've had for over 2 years. It reports AC charging too. I am wondering if i am really getting AC charge, or if the problem doesn't apply to the note 2 and/or the cables i have

I think it has been fixed.. Since note 2 takes 2 hours + to charge from 0-100

Accidentally sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Reactions: crash613

story

Mar 27, 2006
I have the same charger.

It was shorted already. I used 2 different cable and 2 different wall plug and it gave different mah.
Both cables has data.

FoneFill

Jan 13, 2013
San Diego
www.fonefill.com
I have the same charger.

It was shorted already. I used 2 different cable and 2 different wall plug and it gave different mah.
Both cables has data.

If it is a non-Apple charger, then it should follow the BC 1.1 or later charging spec to inform the phone that it's connected to a DCP (dedicated charging port), and "allowed" to draw more than 500mA.

A DCP does so by shorting the data lines Dp and Dm (with a resistance of 200ohms or less) as the OP suggested.

-Charles
FoneFill Restaurant and Hospitality Phone Chargers

endib

Aug 23, 2011
This post will show you how to MOD an un-official Samsung USB wall charger into one that will enable full speed charging on Samsung Galaxy S phones

***only use this charger for samsung phones, not all USB devices will like this, -may dammage some- as the samsung phone is PROGRAMMED to know what to do if the 2 data pins are shorted out***

i've read this thread from the first to the last page, my question is..., can i apply this MOD to enable full speed charging on my Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 ?

Last edited:

Joseph.S

Apr 24, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S2

I want to try this Mod but I have a Duracell wall charger. I opened it up and don't understand the circut.

Anyway.. here's what I've got.
Charger:
Duracell wall charger that has 2 USB ports. One is rated at 1A and the other rated at 2.1A.
Phone:
Samsung Galaxy S2.

Here are the phone details:

Image can not be displayed due to board restrictions.
Here's the circuit board.

Image can not be displayed due to board restrictions.
I have more images if you need them.

Currently it will only charge the battery at 470ma. Even in the 2.1A USB port.
I would rather not cut into the USB cable and mess up my data transfer.

This phone is NOT rooted.

Can you help me out?
where do I put the jumper?

Thanks in advance.
(Gahh...sorry about that it won't let me post images yet...darn spammers...)

You will have to use your expertise to see them I guess.
Here ya go...
i36.tinypic.com/2iax07c.jpg

i37.tinypic.com/vd22s6.jpg

Last edited:

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Post images to server, not inks. Here is your first image
uploadfromtaptalk1366868574087.jpg

Or if link, your second image,
vd22s6.jpg

sent by the scare crow, tin man, and cowardly lion on the yellow brickfree cm10.1 road.

Reactions: Joseph.S

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Mod: if you only want one high output, then only bridge one of the circled pairs, or do both bridges if preferred.

The max safe rate will be set by the pm chip in the phone. Usually, this is about 0.6 *C/h, where C is capacity. Example, battery @ 1500 mAh * 0.6/h = 900 ma = 0.9 A.

So, if really doesn't matter which port you bridge, unless you expect the phone to draw more than 1 A.

uploadfromtaptalk1366869122309.jpg

sent by the scare crow, tin man, and cowardly lion on the yellow brickfree cm10.1 road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph.S

Joseph.S

Apr 24, 2013
Post images to server, not links. Here is your first image
View attachment 1910027

Or if link, your second image,
vd22s6.jpg
I believe it was because I have not posted 10 times before I posted an Image..At least that's what it told me..
Probably defense against spam bots.
I was unaware that I could upload images as attachments I will look for that option. :good:

Mod: if you only want one high output, then only bridge one of the circled pairs, or do both bridges if preferred.

The max safe rate will be set by the pm chip in the phone. Usually, this is about 0.6 *C/h, where C is capacity. Example, battery @ 1500 mAh * 0.6/h = 900 ma = 0.9 A.

So, if really doesn't matter which port you bridge, unless you expect the phone to draw more than 1 A.

View attachment 1910044

Thanks! I was wondering if that was the correct location. I saw the 4 pins below and wanted to make sure I was not going to fry something and didn't want to guess.

Eventually what I would like to do is manage my charging a little more precisely.
(Changing batteries 3 times a day with a ballistic case is pretty aggravating.)

For instance..
When in heavy use, such as using the navigator with GPS, the phone draws about 500 ma +/- 50ma. This discharges the battery even with the car charger attached. I would like to make the car charger charge at 1500ma so the supply of power can give full charge to the battery while under full load from the GPS. But would like it to only draw 1000 or perhaps 1100ma when the GPS is off.
(I understand that the phone limits this charge rate to 1A and I would like to bypass that because Samsung didn't predict how I would using this phone very well...)
When I want to charge it over night I would simply trickle charge it with my data cable in the USB port of my computer.

Also, with the AC charger in the image I would like the 1A side to be limited to 1A max while the other side can freely charge at 2.1A when necessary and manage heat and power manually. Not that I would be using the 2.1 all the time but it would be nice to have every once in a while while I am surfing the web , watching videos and running GPS all at the same time.
(Believe it or not I do that every morning for about 3 hours and it plays hell on my ability to use the phone the rest of the day.)
Again, I understand I would have to make a software modification somehow. Sooo...

Do you know how to reprogram the charging limits within the phone to make this possible?
Does the phone have to be rooted to do this? If so. how do I root my phone? :cool:

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
The charging limits are based on battery safety. Fire, severe burns, and explosion are probable results, if you succeed in overriding safety limits. There is also a thermal safety built into the battery itself that should prevent these problems, but then all you are doing by pushing to the thermal limit is shortening battery life and reducing its capacity.

if the phone is on, in use with a low battery, and you connect the charger, it can draw phone load plus the max charging rate. But if you do that, then be aware that it will drive the battery and phone to higher temperatures.

Also note that the battery will only take the maximum current when it is fully discharged. Example, when the battery is 80% charged, the current is typically a small fraction of the max. That is a good thing. Charger circuit typically omits Li phone batt charging voltage to 4.2 volts.

Any battery, expecially, Li battery, is essentially a controlled chemical explosion that forces the energy though an electrical load- your phone is the load in this case.

For your own sake, don't mess with the charging and capacity controls in the phone or the battery.

Joseph.S

Apr 24, 2013
Bridges Complete

The charging limits are based on battery safety. Fire, severe burns, and explosion are probable results, if you succeed in overriding safety limits. There is also a thermal safety built into the battery itself that should prevent these problems, but then all you are doing by pushing to the thermal limit is shortening battery life and reducing its capacity.

if the phone is on, in use with a low battery, and you connect the charger, it can draw phone load plus the max charging rate. But if you do that, then be aware that it will drive the battery and phone to higher temperatures.

Also note that the battery will only take the maximum current when it is fully discharged. Example, when the battery is 80% charged, the current is typically a small fraction of the max. That is a good thing. Charger circuit typically omits Li phone batt charging voltage to 4.2 volts.

Any battery, expecially, Li battery, is essentially a controlled chemical explosion that forces the energy though an electrical load- your phone is the load in this case.

For your own sake, don't mess with the charging and capacity controls in the phone or the battery.

Thanks for the info. I do understand the risks involved however I believe because of the way I use the phone I can manage the battery better this way. I can control heat buildup simply by unplugging the phone because when I have it charging like that I will not ever be leaving it unattended. If it gets hot I can unplug it when the heat alarm goes off, or when it just feels like its heating up and either plug it into the lower charge rate side or just unplug it entirely. I am very attentive and involved with my phones operation always.

Here is where I am at so far.
Bridges complete:
Testing.........

Attachments

• Bridged02.jpg
    Bridged02.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Reactions: laughingT

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Looks like you got it.

Think you are confusing total draw versus charge rate. The pm chip limits flow to battery, not total flow to phone, which will be whatever phone uses plus charge flow to battery, in your example, 500 ma plus battery charge rate. Keep in mind 50% charge battery won't draw a full 1 amp, because the voltage is getting closer to 4.2 supply voltage. It's physics, not the software limit, that is causing that to happen.

FYI, I use 45°C battery temperature as my alarm limit.

PS no need to quote previous message in a thread when there are no posts in between. It just uses server space and makes thread harder to read. Thks.

Last edited:

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
(°F - 32) * 5/9 = °C

You don't need to memorize the formula. Water freezes 32F or 0C.
Boils 212F or 100C. The rest is algebra that can be done in the head.

Last edited:

Joseph.S

Apr 24, 2013
Looks like the charger is not charging at all with the bridges.
I might have to remove them.

First I will try to charge with the phone off to see if that makes any difference.

Edit 1:
This failed with the high and low side of the charger.
I will be removing the bridge from one side now and seeing if I wrecked the charger.
Results to follow.

Edit 2:
I removed the bridge from the bottom connection and the unit started charging again on both low and high sides.
I will have to test it to see if the charging performance has improved now.
Testing....

Last edited:
Reactions: laughingT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post will show you how to MOD an un-official Samsung USB wall charger into one that will enable full speed charging on Samsung Galaxy S phones.

8 $ ebay cheap wall battery charger power output specs:

350 mA battery charging speed - doesnt matter...
    800 mA USB port.. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!! more the better. nice if the phone would use all of it... Need AC Mode... (thats what this post is for!)
    Samsung wall USB charger is only 750mA! AND it will set AC mode.

The theory behind it is with samsung galaxy phones and "official chargers":
    if the middle 2 data pins on the usb, while getting 5v to the outer 2 pins it tells the phone that it is an *official samsung* charger and enables full speed charging.

without the middle 2 pins connected (with or without data flow) will not charge at full speed. even if you supply 800mA it will only charge around 350mA

well there have been posts of cable hacks to do this or adapters... ha! tape and tinfoil... or hack the cable apart! And you cant use the cable with the PC anymore!
    heres my mod... bend 2 pins.. DONE! solder if you know how for better connection!

***only use this charger for samsung phones, not all USB devices will like this, -may dammage some- as the samsung phone is PROGRAMMED to know what to do if the 2 data pins are shorted out***

Phone confirms AC charging NOT USB NOW!!
    Now i can leave my Samsung Charger upstairs, and this one downstairs.

Rapid%20Charger.JPG

You know how long it takes to charge an extended battery on USB mode? almost 5 hours! or at 350 mah in the battery charger? almost 7 hours!
    I was able to charge my extended battery (says 2500mah) from 8% to 100% in about 2 hours 45 min over USB cable (AC mode) with the screen off. In the official samsung charger it was a little over 3 hours. just in the battery cradle it takes around 5-6 hours. Very much improved!
    Good guide. I did the same modification to my Verizon car charging cable. I don't have Verizon, but I swapped an iPhone car charger with a verizon user who got rid of his Motorola Android.

This mod works on any charger. The device will always display "Charging(AC)" and this enables full charging capability.

I modded my cable by taking apart the microUSB connector and dropping a bit of solder between pins 2 and 3 on the back side of the connector. It works great.

Do not do this on a cable which may be connected to a PC. If the PC is older and does not have overcurrent protection, it may fry the USB Power Supply.
    Do you mean to build a kernel that has different settings for the USB resistor input? What/where was the specific change you made?

Voltage regulator and the charging current part: max8998-private.h, a file that contains charging values in mA:

Code:
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_90		0
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_380	1
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_475	2
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_550	3
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_570	4
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_600	5
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_700	6
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_800	7

Battery driver part: s5pc110_battery.c and defined AC and USB charging rates (modified by me to 800mA when on AC and 550mA on USB):

Code:
                          if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_AC)
    				max8998_write_reg(i2c, MAX8998_REG_CHGR1,
    					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_10	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
    					(MAX8998_RSTR_DISABLE	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_RSTR) |
    					(MAX8998_ICHG_800	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));
    			else if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_USB)
    				max8998_write_reg(i2c, MAX8998_REG_CHGR1,
    					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_25	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
    					(MAX8998_RSTR_DISABLE	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_RSTR) |
    					(MAX8998_ICHG_550	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));

One more thing in i9000 kernel sources: drivers/usb/gadget/android.c

Code:
    #ifdef CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE
    /* soonyong.cho : This value of max power is referred from S1 */
    	[COLOR="Red"].bMaxPower	= 0x30, /* 96ma */[/COLOR]
    #else /* original */
    	[COLOR="YellowGreen"].bMaxPower	= 0xFA, /* 500ma */[/COLOR]
    #endif /* CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE

from where I removed the condition to make it look like that:
    Code:
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"].bMaxPower	= 0xFA, /* 500ma */[/COLOR]

BEFORE:
    96ma.jpg

AFTER:
    500ma.jpg
    usbcable.jpg

Here is a picture of the pinouts in a usb cable..

Now obviously you have the 5V, Ground, and data, but then where would you add in more power?
    Wow i'm so lost, so does this apply to the vibrant...

You know maybe I have had my foot up my ass for sometime then..

I ALWAYS charge my phone with the USB charger connected to the computer and it seems to take forever...

You must forgive me but I always leave my phone charging on my PC everynight and have actually lost the AC power wall plug portion...

Will connecting this through the USB of the computer also only supply the 350mA instead of the full 800mA like your saying, or will the computer always deliver the sexy amount?

Thank you sir, you are a genius?

if the 2 data pins arent joined the phone WILL NOT receive anymore than 350. this tells the phone "im an official charger, take more!"
    if you are going to mod a cable to have the 2 data pins joined, make sure the 2 pins shorted on the phone end and NOT THE PC END of the cable, and NOT BOTH EITHER. shorting the data pins on the computer side can blow your usb port.... or more.