Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket (AT&T) Screen Lines

Search This thread

markjo

Sep 4, 2010
I saw somewhere on the T-Mo GSII section that there was a thread of about 50 pages of people complaining that their screens, under varying brightness settings and to varying degrees, displayed some vertical "ghost" lines running up and down the screen..

I picked up a Skyrocket earlier today at the AT&T store and was disappointed to see that the screen was doing just that. Hence, me searching and finding this thread. After some thinking, I went back to the store and exchanged the Skyrocket for the Vivid, which I am even more displeased with, although for other reasons (call quality, weight, etc. Although I'm going to use it for a few days to see how it goes). I just wanted to try it out of curiosity, a restocking fee is alright for me should I decide to go back to the Skyrocket.

Has anyone else experienced this with a Skyrocket or GSII in general? I was surprised to have searched this general section and not found anything about it. The display model in the store exhibited the same "ghost" lines as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: dnguyen1988

freshlycutlawn

Apr 22, 2011
There is no reason to pick up any other smartphone as of now if you own a sgs2, assuming your on at&t or even international, you would have the dual core exynos, which out performs anything on the market as of now, even the skyrocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

markjo

Sep 4, 2010
That... has nothing to do with my question.

I'm not asking for specs and numbers and names. I know what all of it is, and I don't care - it's about what I want and like. And I would hope others are able to do as they please as well.

ANYWAY. No one has had any screen troubles?

teiglin

Jul 7, 2011
I've never seen any lines on my I9100, nor heard of others having the issues described in that thread. At minimum brightness, in absolute darkness, I can see a few blobs on a black screen, but even then I have to really look for them or I won't notice. The usual complaints I've seen about I9100 screens are yellowish tint and sometimes burn-in, though I haven't experienced either of those personally.

You probably already asked in the T-Mo forum since you linked a thread from it, but I'm pretty sure the Skyrocket uses the same screen as the T989, so imo you're more likely to find useful feedback there. I'm assuming you're only interested in LTE AT&T phones, so you're probably f'd, but the I777 uses the same screen as the I9100 where I've never heard of that particular problem.

flagrant

Nov 8, 2011
I just got the Skyrocket on Sunday and I'm having the same issue with the vertical lines. Looks pretty terrible on dark images/backgrounds in low ambient light.

I searched a ton yesterday on Google and this is first place I found someone complaining of the same problem. I can't decide whether it's good or bad to know someone else is seeing the same issue.

nomnompie

Apr 28, 2010
I have 2 international i9100's.

They both have this issue, one is more noticeable than the other, but as you say usually on low brightness/dark images. Suspect it is a result of the manufacturing process of the S-AMOLED Plus screen and if they haven't fixed it by now in the skyrocket (almost surprising but at the same time not really) they aren't going to.

For me it doesn't bother me a whole ton as I don't see it most of the time but it does kind of suck lol.

htcplussony

Aug 26, 2008
I got an international. What Anandtech calls persistence bothers me,

The situation reminds me of the early large size lcd tv days. Lines, clouding, uneven this that. In the future it will be all fixed but its not today.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Someone needs to put a sticky to keep Skyrocket discussion out of these forums.

The device is a Galaxy S II in name only and nothing else.

Shame on Samsung for diluting their brand like this... The ****rocket is going to ruin their reputation in the USA, as if AT&T's mangling of the stock ROM for the I777 didn't already.

21cdb

Nov 7, 2011
I heard about this issue before I got my SII (not Skyrocket), and even knowing about the problem and using the phone a lot at the lowest brightness I have never noticed it on my screen.

I have however noticed the yellow tint problem mentioned above, and I use Screen Adjuster to compensate for it by adding more blue.

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
I have the i-9100M (Canada) and the SGH-I727R (same as AT&T Skyrocket) and I don't have any issue with the screen. Had both dark and white background and didn't see any issues.

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
I have the same problem with vertical lines on the screen. I bought my Skyrocket from Best Buy on release day and noticed the screen issue in lowest brightness on Monday. I exchanged it for another. This one has the issue as well, but it's not as bad. My wife has the i777 and hers has the vertical lines to a very minute extent; you don't even notice unless you're really looking for it.

oatterzonxda

Jan 29, 2009
Los Angeles
hmmm, am i one of the few lucky individuals who do not have this issue? Or am i just blind? Is there something specific i have to do to replicate the issue? Ive tried looking at many different images, color combinations, at different brightness settings, different ambient light settings (from outside in the sun to inside a pitchblack closet) and i have not seen what everyone has been describing? I have a Captivate, Infuse, and euro I9100 (water damaged), that I have tried to compare them to, and my skyrocket looks exactly the same. I believe the Infuse uses the same screen as well and ive not a problem with that, and the cappy still looks prestine minus the (plus) in the Super AMOLED. Even the nonfunctioning water damaged i9100 displayes weird ass colors and crap on the screen but its finest looking garbage ever.

-Kevlar-

Oct 26, 2010
hmmm, am i one of the few lucky individuals who do not have this issue? Or am i just blind? Is there something specific i have to do to replicate the issue? Ive tried looking at many different images, color combinations, at different brightness settings, different ambient light settings (from outside in the sun to inside a pitchblack closet) and i have not seen what everyone has been describing? I have a Captivate, Infuse, and euro I9100 (water damaged), that I have tried to compare them to, and my skyrocket looks exactly the same. I believe the Infuse uses the same screen as well and ive not a problem with that, and the cappy still looks prestine minus the (plus) in the Super AMOLED. Even the nonfunctioning water damaged i9100 displayes weird ass colors and crap on the screen but its finest looking garbage ever.

Mine aren't that noticeable, but can be seen easily when I launch xda app. The brown start screen makes them jump out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

msbtt

Mar 14, 2009
Now on my Skyrocket I have the vertical lines and my screen is so freaking blue its pissing me off. I also have a Euro I9100 and comparing the Skyrocket to that is night and day difference. I will try exchanging it Saturday and see if the other one will be better. I will take some side by side pics later tonight and post them.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

juggz143

Jul 14, 2009
Cleveland
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yeah I just returned an ATT SGS2 yesterday for the skyrocket and this screen was pissing me off the moment i left the store. The screen on the Orig sgs2 was probably the best mobile display I had ever seen but this shyt is for the birds, I'm thinking of exchanging and if the second one isnt any better then going with the vivid!!!:mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Someone needs to put a sticky to keep Skyrocket discussion out of these forums.

The device is a Galaxy S II in name only and nothing else.

Shame on Samsung for diluting their brand like this... The ****rocket is going to ruin their reputation in the USA, as if AT&T's mangling of the stock ROM for the I777 didn't already.
    I saw somewhere on the T-Mo GSII section that there was a thread of about 50 pages of people complaining that their screens, under varying brightness settings and to varying degrees, displayed some vertical "ghost" lines running up and down the screen..

I picked up a Skyrocket earlier today at the AT&T store and was disappointed to see that the screen was doing just that. Hence, me searching and finding this thread. After some thinking, I went back to the store and exchanged the Skyrocket for the Vivid, which I am even more displeased with, although for other reasons (call quality, weight, etc. Although I'm going to use it for a few days to see how it goes). I just wanted to try it out of curiosity, a restocking fee is alright for me should I decide to go back to the Skyrocket.

Has anyone else experienced this with a Skyrocket or GSII in general? I was surprised to have searched this general section and not found anything about it. The display model in the store exhibited the same "ghost" lines as well.
    What do you say to the AT&T Store reps? Do you just show them the image and tell them to go into a dark room to prove your point? Also, is the exchange free? I'm seeing lines (brushed metal kind of look) and some blobs on mine when I do the test, and now that I know about it, it's bothering me. I want to exchange it, but I'm just hoping it isn't a big hassle.

Also, have people figured out if this issue affects all the Skyrockets or just the earlier ones? I got mine through the online Premier store and I'm guessing it's one of the first models. It could be that there has been a newer batch since it looks like shorty473 exchanged his and found that it's much better. But shorty473, do you mean that the problem has entirely gone away and you have a good model or are you just seeing fewer blobs/lines? Finally, if my second model is even worse, would I be able to exchange it again...?

Thanks and I really hope this issue gets fixed. I really like my Skyrocket!
    I just went into the AT&T store and told the rep about the lines. I usually always have my brightness at its lowest level in order to preserve my battery life so the lines were always painfully obvious. I explained the situation to the rep and showed her the best I could and she did not give me any problem with the exchange. There was and should be no cost within your 30 days. The first exchange I tested by putting in my purse (I'm a girl ;)) and checking the display in a dim environment...that one still sucked so I asked for another (she seemed to be getting a little annoyed at that point but like I give a sh*t) and that one seemed to be better in the store. When I got home I tested it out in a completely dark environment and it was many, many times better...not completely gone, still a hint of lines and a few faint blobs on a completely black screen when I start a video, but even at the very lowest brightness setting, its barely noticable now, and I do not notice them at all with a modest brightness setting. As others have suggested, my conclusion is that it is a design flaw in the phone itself but some batches are better or worse than other.
    It's hard to see since I have a crappy camera but you can see some of the darker vertical lines on the left side. The other picture is just a standard screenshot to compare it to.

dsc04612p.jpg

sc20111116095035.png
    Recalls are only for if the phone could spontaneously blow up.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm........

http://theandroidsite.com/2011/12/01/samsung-galaxy-ii-skyrocket-explodes-owners-pocket/

LOL. Might have a case here...