Samsung Galaxy S10 Software update

Search This thread

Dharhil

Jan 24, 2022
I can't update my Android OS to 11 it's still on Android 10. When I tried going to Phone Settings > Software updates> Download and install> Your software is up to date. Is there a way to get this Android 11 or 12 update to my device Baseband Version. G973USQS4ETK2

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Looks like you have a USA phone, I assume on a USA network? Looks like USCellular?

What carrier and country are you in? I see there are updates for your firmware as recent as this month... that would be Android 11. 12 is not on US phones yet.

Reactions: Dharhil

Dharhil

Jan 24, 2022
Its under T-mobile US I guess I was able to look the information up and I saw the baseband version is under T-mobile. Is there a way to patch Android 11 or even 12 to this cause I also tried rooting this but I'm having a hard time downloading stuffs.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1812263674.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dharhil

Jan 24, 2022
It stopped Updating since this last patch.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--2103047565.jpeg

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
First off, if you want to root, I think you will be able to - your BL version is 4 (5th from end number in the build version or the baseband version). It's not free to root this way, but I believe you can. However, if you do that, then I don't think you can update to any newer version of stock ROM, because you cannot update the bootloader (which is part of the other releases). Also not, rooting may wipe your phone too.

As for the other question, show me your full software info page, so I can see the CSC codes and other things. I want to make sure they make sense.

My guess is that because you have a U phone (as opposed to U1 with a multi-CSC setup) that you would not be able to patch/update the phone. This is because the U is typically locked to the carrier updates, and if it's looking for USCellular, that would explain why your TMo carrier can't update it. You could reflash to a U1 ROM using ODIN, and this should allow updating in the future, but it will likely require a wipe (you could try an upgrade flash, but I don't recall if this is possible from U to U1). This will also update the bootloader which means you can't root today, but you would be up to date.

So, decide how you want to go first... because you can't have both (root + updated... unless you do custom roms, which I am not versed in, but you are liklely going to give up some things with custom roms, from the superficial reading I've done there)

Dharhil

Jan 24, 2022
I think it would be best to move from U to U1 to still have updates.

Screenshot_20220126-225548_Settings.jpg Screenshot_20220126-225551_Settings.jpg

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I think it would be best to move from U to U1 to still have updates. View attachment 5519565

So my phone looked much like yours does, xaa/xaa/tmb. Couldn't get updates either. I used patched Odin and flashed latest xaa version, and used 'home' csc, resulting in keeping user data.

I wanted to keep everything much as it was because using Mint Siim, I'm able to get voip / vowifi, but it also does 'carrier aggregation', so I get a little LTE+ icon indicating such, signal is very good also. Doing the update kept everything working as it was.

I don't plan on rooting so the bump in BL version didn't care about.

cheers

Reactions: schwinn8

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
I agree with @AsItLies - your phone looks like it's already on a multi-CSC ROM (XAA). Not sure why it's not updating, but since you're already there, you should be able to do the Odin update as an upgrade, using the "home" CSC and it should update the ROM at the very least. Ideally, your phone should show TMB/TMB/TMB, because the first one is the current SIM, the second is the carrier, and the third is the original CSC (which you can't change anyway)... for example, mine shows TFN/TFN/SPR (Tracfone aka Total Wireless, in my case). My ROM is a U1, though... maybe that's why both of yours is not changing the XAA properly?

I'd say, give the U1 a shot, with the HOME CSC and upgrade mode in ODIN and see if that works. But before you do that, BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU NEED, just in case.

I would recommend using Frija to download the ROM (much faster than web downloads)... but the rest of the info is available on various threads here on XDA. I would recommend reading through the guide posts here THOROUGHLY before doing anything: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/g973u-and-g973u1-firmware-links-here.3905852/

If you still have questions, you can ask there or here...

@AsItLies are you on a U or U1 ROM? Just curious...

Reactions: Dharhil

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
@schwinn8 it's funny you should ask that, because when I first got my phone it said 973U. Now, after the update I described above, it says 973U1.

I'm guessing that indication isn't used to determine if an update is available, could be wrong, but I *think* an update just depends on if it was originally U or U1, and you're running the original firmware. So anything that is multi csc but was originally a U, I don't think that will OTA update (only manually with patched Odin).

Anyway, there are very few updates left, so not too worried about it, doing it manually is quite easy. Pretty sure A12 will be the last we'll see.

cheers

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Agreed, not a big deal regarding updates now... but was just curious... I'm surprised to see you're still showing XAA/XAA... I figured those would change.

I had issues with one of my wife's phones (we bought two S10+ phones at the same time)... hers refused to switch to TFN for some reason. Sadly, she NEEDED it because she used the old-fashioned voicemail and app. I could see the app on my phone (where the CSC change worked fine) so I knew what I needed, but couldn't get it to happen. I ended up returning that phone (Ebay) and getting one that was already setup for TFN... and that one is fine. Funny thing, I think it was an XAA as well, but I don't remember now).

I've also seen a thread here that says CSC won't change anymore for users. But even that post has very mixed info... as my experience confirmed. So weird.

/rant

Dharhil

Jan 24, 2022
I don't know what am I doing hahah. I tried flashing in ODIN but it failed and trying to click start again saying SetupConnection... and nothing happens... I think it has to to with this?.

received_1016341942566308.jpeg

Dharhil

Jan 24, 2022
I don't know what "this" you're referring to? Did you read up about how to use ODIN? Did you watch any videos on it via Youtube (if that's your preference)? Did you install drivers?
I did two thing but I dont know which is which fixed it I downloaded an Update manually via Frija for SM-G973U (that I don't know it even exist bcxz sammobile doesn't have a record of it) and the 2nd one is I downloaded Odin3 v3.13.3 to flash the downloaded software. (previously i was using Odin3 v3.14.1)

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you figured it out? Congrats... yes Frija will sometimes get you a newer version than is normally seen. Or a version specific to your phone. Not a bad thing.

One thing I will warn you, I have read that many people are having issues with apps and features in Android 12... I'd recommend NOT getting that if you can prevent it. I prefer to let other people deal with the bugs before I have to get into them... but that's just me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like you have a USA phone, I assume on a USA network? Looks like USCellular?

What carrier and country are you in? I see there are updates for your firmware as recent as this month... that would be Android 11. 12 is not on US phones yet.
    I think it would be best to move from U to U1 to still have updates. View attachment 5519565

So my phone looked much like yours does, xaa/xaa/tmb. Couldn't get updates either. I used patched Odin and flashed latest xaa version, and used 'home' csc, resulting in keeping user data.

I wanted to keep everything much as it was because using Mint Siim, I'm able to get voip / vowifi, but it also does 'carrier aggregation', so I get a little LTE+ icon indicating such, signal is very good also. Doing the update kept everything working as it was.

I don't plan on rooting so the bump in BL version didn't care about.

cheers
    I agree with @AsItLies - your phone looks like it's already on a multi-CSC ROM (XAA). Not sure why it's not updating, but since you're already there, you should be able to do the Odin update as an upgrade, using the "home" CSC and it should update the ROM at the very least. Ideally, your phone should show TMB/TMB/TMB, because the first one is the current SIM, the second is the carrier, and the third is the original CSC (which you can't change anyway)... for example, mine shows TFN/TFN/SPR (Tracfone aka Total Wireless, in my case). My ROM is a U1, though... maybe that's why both of yours is not changing the XAA properly?

I'd say, give the U1 a shot, with the HOME CSC and upgrade mode in ODIN and see if that works. But before you do that, BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU NEED, just in case.

I would recommend using Frija to download the ROM (much faster than web downloads)... but the rest of the info is available on various threads here on XDA. I would recommend reading through the guide posts here THOROUGHLY before doing anything: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/g973u-and-g973u1-firmware-links-here.3905852/

If you still have questions, you can ask there or here...

@AsItLies are you on a U or U1 ROM? Just curious...