Samsung Galaxy S8 Root (Snapdragon) | SamPWND

Search This thread

hotplex

May 14, 2017
Can someone please provide alternative links to the main files?

According to the website, there are no mirrors available for SamPWND_S8_4File_Firm.
I also have problems with Mega server for SamPWND_S8.zip and the systemroot.zip. I tried on my phone browser and it wants me to download the app.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Can someone please provide alternative links to the main files?

According to the website, there are no mirrors available for SamPWND_S8_4File_Firm.
I also have problems with Mega server for SamPWND_S8.zip and the systemroot.zip. I tried on my phone browser and it wants me to download the app.
This root method is depreciated. More than likely you are on a revision 5 bootloaders. 5th digit from far end.
You need to make sure your bootloader revision before attempting this

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor

Moondroid

Feb 12, 2015
This root method is depreciated. More than likely you are on a revision 5 bootloaders. 5th digit from far end.
You need to make sure your bootloader revision before attempting this

For somebody like me looking to buy a new S8 running (hopefully) original firmware, a working download link would actually be nice. Anybody?

bigshady9909

Jul 18, 2019
no mirrors

hey i was just wondering if there was an alternative download site for the s8 samPWND 4files
the link provided has no mirrors

New Optimus

Ok, it has been a long while since I have been here, I have had a S8 for years that I have no root on but I do have a modified system I can't recall specifically what method I used to get it but I know I have no more updates of any kind and so my current baseband and android version info are 8.0 oreo G950USQU2CRC5 I am curious if I can just root this, or would I need to flash new system

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Ok, it has been a long while since I have been here, I have had a S8 for years that I have no root on but I do have a modified system I can't recall specifically what method I used to get it but I know I have no more updates of any kind and so my current baseband and android version info are 8.0 oreo G950USQU2CRC5 I am curious if I can just root this, or would I need to flash new system

Look up the part cyborg rom this is depreciated for your version you can only root 7.0 not 8 or 9. I also recommend you stay on bit 2. 5th digit from far end is bootloader bit number

13337help

Jun 21, 2020
With my samsung S8 the only way to get it to download mode is when i boot off the device and run the power+vol down + bixly button. If I do this the PC no longer can see the phone/sd card when its plugged in. THe only way the PC sees the phone is when i boot t he phone up with the cable plugged in. It will ask for permission to let my PC see files only when booting up. Because of this I cant run odin correctly. Is there a way to remove the security option to the phone so it does not need to ask for permission for my PC to see files?

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
With my samsung S8 the only way to get it to download mode is when i boot off the device and run the power+vol down + bixly button. If I do this the PC no longer can see the phone/sd card when its plugged in. THe only way the PC sees the phone is when i boot t he phone up with the cable plugged in. It will ask for permission to let my PC see files only when booting up. Because of this I cant run odin correctly. Is there a way to remove the security option to the phone so it does not need to ask for permission for my PC to see files?

this thread has been old for a long time now.. i suggest you use an updated root method..

also removing "security" so phone doesnt ask for permissions has nothing to do with download mode and your pc not recognizing it.. that is more a computer problem which is also not going to be helped in here as well as its not possible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod edit - translated by https://translate.google.com/. Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator.
    thank you for your hard work
    谢谢你的辛勤付出
    Hello and good morning, @AdamLi Welcome to XDA! I hope you'll always get the support you require and have enjoyable times on our platform.

However, as a one-time courtesy I've translated your above quoted post. With reference to rule no. 4 of the XDA Forum Rules, please post in English or add at least an English translation to your Chinese posts.
    4. Use the English language.
    We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ , https://www.babelfish.com/ or https://fanyi.baidu.com/#auto/en or use one of your choice.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    The announcement you have all been waiting for is finally here!
    SamPWND
    the world's first U.S. Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ root!

Disclaimer

There are quite a few steps involved in achieving the desired root, but it is all straightforward if you follow the directions!! We will be here to assist with the rooting process only! The reason i say that is due to the fact of all that the ENG system.img contains, you can nuke your phone to oblivion if you aren't careful, hence this next part... Anything and everything done with the ENG system.img and root after root is achieved is on YOU, and the team and I will NOT be held RESPONSIBLE! Don't blame us for your experimenting! Root works, and won't mess your device up that is what we are here for, any further research/testing is all on the USER!!

After a long 4 months, we have finally achieved our main objective! Countless hours have been put into this process, as well as much lost sleep; so we could be here, at this point releasing root to you, the community! However before we get to that point there are some people need to be thanked, whom without; none of this would have been possible!

The Crew
    @elliwigy
    @Harry44
    @akiraO1
    @BotsOne
    @GSMCHEN

First off i would like to apologize about the delay i planned on having this uploaded shortly after @elliwigy made his thread, however my internet was not being the greatest and i was having issues uploading the needed files. Now after all day it is finally done and i am here to present to you the community, ROOT for the USA Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ This thread will be focused on the regular S8 variant, the S8+ thread can be found here Root Samsung Galaxy S8+ Now without further ado, we shall begin!!!

Description

Samsung won this one for us! We flash 4 ENG Odin files, then the way we achieve root is by executing an su binary that they so graciously provided us within the ENG systems xbin. Afterwards we run a script that pushes the rest of what we need in and installs superSU to the system. At that point root is done, however it is not the most stable/smooth. The next process is optional, but recommended. We will be taking a stock system.img.ext4 from a firmware of your choice either U or U1, a supersu.zip(that will be provided) which installs root to the system. They are then flashed in flashfire, resulting in a stock rooted rom.

Requirements

--4 Firmware Files(provided by us)--
    --Odin Prince Cosmey and Regular--
    --systemroot.zip(provided by us)--
    --SuperSU.zip(provided by us)--
    --PC with ADB--
    --Full stock firmware, either G950U or G950U1(just in case need to flash stock, as well as for system.img.ext4 and cache.img.ext4)--
    --Full combo firmware(for whatever reason... we may need you to have it to fix issues you are having)--

Procedure
    [CENTER
    1. Download the SamPWND_S8_4File_Firm, the SamPWND_S8.zip, and the systemroot.zip
    2. Download Odin Prince Comsy and Normal Odin
    3. Extract SamPWND_S8_Firm to your desired destination (desktop works), then open Odin Prince Comsy, and place the files in their respective slot (BL --> BL, AP --> AP, CP--> CP, CSC--> CSC)
    4. In Odin, go to options and select, Auto Reboot, Re-Partition, F. Reset Time, Nand Erase All, and Phone Bootloader Update (This will wipe the device)
    5. Put Samsung Galaxy S8 into Download mode (Power + Volume Down + Bixby) A warning screen will come up warning you about flashing a custom os, to continue press Volume Up.
    6. Press Start in Odin (Flashing will begin, this can take up to 10 min)
    7. When complete device will reboot into recovery mode, at this point just select reboot system now.
    8. Complete the Setup, and accept device RSA Keys, to authorize adb (if popup is not there already, or you have dismissed it; please disconnect and reconnect phone, then accept)
    9. Now take the systemroot.zip dowloaded in step one, and extract it to your adb install directory (usually C:adb)
    10. Navigate to adb directory and CTRL + Shift + Right Click, select open cmd window here
    11. Once you have cmd open and the extracted systemroot folder in your adb directory, we can begin.
    12. Type: adb push systemroot /data/local/tmp/systemroot
    13. When that completes type: adb shell
    14. Once in the shell type: chmod -R 0777 /data/local/tmp
    15. This next one is tricky, type: setsid su (the output will look like this: dreamqltesq:/ $ /system/bin/sh: No controlling tty: open /dev/tty: No such device or address
      /system/bin/sh: warning: won't have full job control), you will then be in a very unstable root shell
    16. In order for this shell to become stable you must type exit, it will then drop you into a stable root shell, however this will probably take a few tries as most commands sent to the unstable shell are returned as gibberish. The shell itself will continue to change from standard user to root user, upon a press of the enter key. This will continue until exit is successfully ran and you are dropped into the stable shell (Note: Since the shell is changing from user to root after each command the exit command must be executed will the shell is root, otherwise instead of dropping to a root shell, you will drop to a user shell and have to begin with setsid su again)
    17. Once a stable root shell is achieved you will type: echo /data/local/tmp/systemroot/remount2.sh > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper (this will remount system and rootfs as r/w)
    18. Wait 10 sec and type: mount (confirm that system is mounted as r/w)
    19. Now we will execute the script, type: sh /data/local/tmp/systemroot/root.sh (there will be some errors displayed back to you in adb, don't worry about them everything is going accordingly)
    20. When the script is done running your device will reboot, and at this point you are done. However, although root has been achieved it is not the smoothest/most stable, but we have a remedy for that as well!
    Part Two
    • With your device still connected to the computer** Take the SamPWND_S8.zip downloaded from step one, and either put it on your device's internal storage or sdcard
    • Take your stock firmware of choice, and extract it to your desktop. From this you will take the system.img.ext4 and either put it on your device's inter storage or sdcard
    • Download flashfire from the Play Store
    • Open flashfire and grant root permissions (this must be done with airplane mode enabled), exit flashfire
    • Open SuperSU, go to settings, scroll to the bottom, and enable pro features. Reopen SuperSU, select flashfire, and force user ROOT
    • Open flashfire again, and select flash firmware package (choose system.img.ext4)
    • Select flash ZIP or OTA (choose SamPWND_G950U.zip) Under options for the zip make sure to select mount /system read/write!!
    • Select wipe and make sure the top 3 options are selected, press the check in the right hand corner
    • This next step is very important! There is a specific order that these are supposed to be in, from top to bottom: WIPE --> Flash Firmware Package --> Flash ZIP or OTA. If your order is not this, hold down on wipe like it is an app and drag it to the top of the list. Make sure it is in that order before pressing the flash button!
    • Select EverRoot from main screen and under options disable inject SuperSU
    • Press the lightning bolt to begin flashing, and wait for your device to reboot
    • Congratulations you now have a very smooth/fast/stable stock rom, with root. Enjoy!!

Thank you for your continuous support over the past few months, all the work put into this root method/Rom project was done for you guys, so that you could experience the best device of 2017 (so far), how you want it! With your own customization's and endless freedom! We truly hope that you enjoy our work, and remember donations help in the process!

The developers that have worked on this project over these past few months, did so while living their lives; attending work,
    etc, as well as without pay. Those who pledged a bounty thank you, we hope that you are true to your words and pay your pledge, to do so please visit the bounty thread! All others if you benefited from this in anyway and want to show your appreciation, all the team members have a donation email on their profile, we love to see the support!
    [/CENTER]

XDA:DevDB Information
    SamPWND, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    STF_TimelessGoD
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2017-08-19
    Current Beta Version: N/A

Created 2017-08-20
    Last Updated 2017-08-19
    "Netflix fix"

A fix for Netflix if you have any issues. If you use a file explorer such as ES File Explorer, go to /vendor/libs/ and find liboemcrypt.so and rename it to liboemcrypt.bak
    Here is RootJunky's YouTube video on how to use this root method. Be sure to thumbs up the video people.
    https://youtu.be/5-ubrnWdGT4

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Hey Elliwigy,

Long time lurker of xda, almost-never poster as well. Was sitting in Best Buy yesterday about to buy an s7 because I knew the bootloader was just unlocked and I'm moving away from my jailbroken 10.2. ip6+. Anyway, the guy helping me out asked why I was getting the s7, I explained openly I needed root, to which he replied "Cool, so we can grab you the s8, no bootloader unlock yet if ever, but like last week the team working on it on xda released their root method. I have one s8 left, and you'll be spending $6 less a month on payments." (paying it off after 30 days but essentially that was $144 savings.

Anyhoo bought it, came directly home (was hungry, didn't care) and started the process at around 8pm last night. My adb went through without a hiccup, not a single time did I have to repeat the exit code. Only hiccup I ran into was the ff spinning indefinitely. But, thanks to someone asking about it nearly every other page and you (or someone else) answering like a broken record to turn on airplane mode, I worked through that part real quick.

I have no question, I just wanted to thank you and everyone else involved in this for doing what you do. When I was younger, I didn't understand the weight of doing something like this. Now in my late 20's, I couldn't imagine myself doing this without intent to profit - mostly because I'm an asshole. You, are a gentleperson and a scholar. I sit here with impeccable timing with a rooted s8. Now, I will return to lurker status until a bootrom exploit is discovered and I can get Xposed running. (hell, might even already be possible, I should probably research that - been away from android for 5 years now, have some catching up to do.)

If you or any of the others involved in this one are ever in the northern KY/cinci/tristate area, I'll buy you a beer at Braxtons. Cheers!
    Hi,
    First, thank you very much for the hard work you guys put in. I have a couple of issues. I completed step 1, and I confirmed I have root and SuperSu installed. However, when I tried to perform step 2, Flashfire kept on spinning trying to acquiring root. I confirmed Flashfire already have root in SuperSu, I even force user = Root. Please help.
    Thanks

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 AM ----------

It is now stuck at Select File - Flashfire kept on spinning in the Select File screen.....Please help.

Make sure airplane mode is on.. than try to use flashfire

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

I done bricked my phone about 8 times since we got root... Trying to come up with a dual audio mod for us snapdragon users...lol
    Whenever I bricked I just redo this root process and Im back up and running...