Samsung Galaxy S9 Bootloader - Unlocked Thread

Search This thread

joesee

Jul 22, 2007
Guys,

I didn't see any questions popped up in the forum yet about unlocked bootloaders. I'd like to buy an unlocked version directly from Samsung. I remember Best Buy selling a different version of an unlocked S7 and S8 that you could not unlock the bootloader. With that said, I wanted to create a small list of the majority of S9's here in the states and see if we can confirm the bootloader is unlockable and that fastboot commands work.

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Unlocked direct from Samsung

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Unocked from brick and mortar stores like Best Buy / B&H Photo, etc.

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from Verizon

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from Sprint

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from AT&T

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from T-Mobile

Thanks, guys!

protella

May 5, 2011
I thought that "unlocked" in this context just meant it it's unlocked from the various carriers, not that the bootloader was unlocked?

Reactions: drago10029

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Do you have any idea if Samsung warranties the Exynos versions here in the states?

No it doesn't, but if you buy your phone from clove.co.uk they will help you with warranty if you send it back to them, but if you unlock your bootloader and root the phone then your warranty is gone anyway.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Guys,

I didn't see any questions popped up in the forum yet about unlocked bootloaders. I'd like to buy an unlocked version directly from Samsung. I remember Best Buy selling a different version of an unlocked S7 and S8 that you could not unlock the bootloader. With that said, I wanted to create a small list of the majority of S9's here in the states and see if we can confirm the bootloader is unlockable and that fastboot commands work.

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Unlocked direct from Samsung

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Unocked from brick and mortar stores like Best Buy / B&H Photo, etc.

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from Verizon

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from Sprint

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from AT&T

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ from T-Mobile

Thanks, guys!

Your list is showing network unlocked devices and such not bootloader unlockables

Reactions: gengi

joesee

Jul 22, 2007
That's because each carrier in the states typically has their own variant and each has different bootloader status. Usually Verizon is locked down. Usually T-Mobile isn't (until recent years), so I created the thread to have one place to look and CONFIRM if a bootloader is locked or not.

This has nothing to do whether or not the phone is SIM unlocked. (Locked to a carrier)

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.

This says it all.

Go exynos, snapdragons are a waste of time if you want an unlocked bootloader and development

The Chinese devices are snaps and BL unlocked also but see next to no development. So again exynos is a better choice

sent from my Pixel 2 XL or Note FE

Last edited:

bilboa1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 16, 2010
Would still be good to get a confirmation whenever someone gets their "unlocked" snapdragon S9. Personally, I'm just waiting for Clove to get their stock... I would be highly surprised if you could unlock the snapdragon's S9 BL

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
No it doesn't, but if you buy your phone from clove.co.uk they will help you with warranty if you send it back to them, but if you unlock your bootloader and root the phone then your warranty is gone anyway.
False. Denying warranty service for an unrelated issue is illegal in the US, large swaths of europe and many other places.

You and many others have fallen victim to a misinformation campaign put on by Samsung and many carriers to make you think this is true so that you either won't do it or if you do and they're is an issue then you won't even try.

Keep in mind it has to be something impossible to be caused by unlock or root, like for example a physical screen detect or the outside body becoming discolored. If it could at all be caused by something you did that you couldn't do without unlock or root you are still sol even if you know you didn't

Reactions: Scottie32583

crescentmage

Sep 17, 2007
How many phones with knox tripped has samsung fixed for you under warranty? Illegal schmiegel no one is going to take samsung to court in the US if the service center denies you warranty if knox is tripped.

Small claims is a great, inexpensive way to get big corporations to cooperate when damages are small. No lawyers in most states, and companies will usually fix the problem rather than spending the resources to send someone to some small, local court to respond.

Reactions: jbfountain

clarkcant

Jul 19, 2017
New York
This is amazing. An entire thread of posts pertaining to everything except the op's question. To that end -
Yes! There are Snapdragon S8's and 9's with unlockable bootloaders. Snapdragon S8's we're being sold in China (by Samsung themselves) with unlockable bootloaders. With the S9, these phones are being sold in Latin America as well, making them easier to import. I don't know how, and wish I knew more about this before I bought my Snapdragon US variant.

Reactions: kekistaneerefugee

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
This is amazing. An entire thread of posts pertaining to everything except the op's question. To that end -
Yes! There are Snapdragon S8's and 9's with unlockable bootloaders. Snapdragon S8's we're being sold in China (by Samsung themselves) with unlockable bootloaders. With the S9, these phones are being sold in Latin America as well, making them easier to import. I don't know how, and wish I knew more about this before I bought my Snapdragon US variant.

Just sell it and buy an unlocked one, easy problem to fix :)

Now sure the Chinese and latin snaps are unlockable but historically see next to no development, exynos is where all the action is.

Something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

kekistaneerefugee

Jul 10, 2017
False. Denying warranty service for an unrelated issue is illegal in the US, large swaths of europe and many other places.

You and many others have fallen victim to a misinformation campaign put on by Samsung and many carriers to make you think this is true so that you either won't do it or if you do and they're is an issue then you won't even try.

Keep in mind it has to be something impossible to be caused by unlock or root, like for example a physical screen detect or the outside body becoming discolored. If it could at all be caused by something you did that you couldn't do without unlock or root you are still sol even if you know you didn't

Samsung USA is a different company than Samsung. If you buy an exynos phone from Samsung, Samsung USA has no obligation to warranty it. I've tried.

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Samsung USA is a different company than Samsung. If you buy an exynos phone from Samsung, Samsung USA has no obligation to warranty it. I've tried.

Same here in Canada, but I'd rather have to deal with that than end up with a POS device which is locked down lol.

I just ordered a 128gb, dual sim exynos s9 plus so my trend with exynos continues ?

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017

Im sorry I don't follow,but I think it's irrelevent. It does not matter what the corporate structure of Samsung is. When you purchase a device, that device comes with a warranty. It is illegal in the usa to refuse service for an incident unrelated to root that would otherwise be covered by warranty. Doesn't matter if the warranty is with Santa Claus, it's still subject to us law.

They will of course try and tell you otherwise, but standing your ground, knowing your rights and threatening to sue in small claims court if it comes to it will get your warranty honored.

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Im sorry I don't follow,but I think it's irrelevent. It does not matter what the corporate structure of Samsung is. When you purchase a device, that device comes with a warranty. It is illegal in the usa to refuse service for an incident unrelated to root that would otherwise be covered by warranty. Doesn't matter if the warranty is with Santa Claus, it's still subject to us law.

They will of course try and tell you otherwise, but standing your ground, knowing your rights and threatening to sue in small claims court if it comes to it will get your warranty honored.

Wont work sorry.

Do you really think samsung cares about small claims court? They could show up with an army of lawyers if they wanted to. You on the other hand would spend more on a lawyer than what buying a new device would cost.

Reactions: doubledragon5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.

This says it all.

Go exynos, snapdragons are a waste of time if you want an unlocked bootloader and development

The Chinese devices are snaps and BL unlocked also but see next to no development. So again exynos is a better choice

I didn't see any questions popped up in the forum yet about unlocked bootloaders.

Well I haven't tried to fly but Im pretty sure thats impossible even though I haven't tried ?

Your situation in this regard is identical to mine, in that neither of us has experience taking samsung to court the only difference is we believe different outcomes will happen if we did.

However only one of us has experience trying to to get support from samsung on an exynos device in an unsupported market.

So overall I have more experience with this than you sir.

And as for the " i have tons of experience outside of xda speech" was wondering when that would appear lol, thanks for not disappointing!
    I have heard that may times over the years also however experience outside of XDA in most cases cannot be proven or measured. You could say all kinds of things but how would anyone know whats true? With that in mind i go based on user experience here and in that regard your still new sorry my friend ?

We can debate this all day, i mean its giving me some good laughs and you also likely but at the end of the day we both have different opinions and thats completely okay. And although i disagree with yours i can respect it.
    Besides If everyone agreed on all things it would make for a very boring experience dont you think?c

It could be with things like YouTube videos and public employment records, but I'm not interested in prostrating myself like that that to win an internet argument.

It has been fun debating with you. Glad we kept it civil. I wish this still happened more often here :good: :good: :good: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:
    Wrong. It works every single time. Samsung isn't spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly out an army of lawyers to a small claims court in the middle of nowhere to win a case for $1000 lol. The bad optics alone would make it a horribly stupid move, even without taking the "spend hundreds of thousands to not have to pay for a device that probably costs them less than $200"

I said could, not would.

And show me a documented case where someone took an exynos device in for warranty work in a snapdragon market then you have something to talk about.

Not going to happen, i went through this in Canada with the note 7. Even under those extreme circumstances samsung Canada wouldn't touch it.

Dude if you havent been through it first hand probably best not to comment on it. And if you have been through it with success please tell us exactly how you made it happen

How many phones with knox tripped has samsung fixed for you under warranty? Illegal schmiegel no one is going to take samsung to court in the US if the service center denies you warranty if knox is tripped.