Samsung Galaxy S9 Bootloader - Unlocked Thread

Search This thread

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
Wont work sorry.

Do you really think samsung cares about small claims court? They could show up with an army of lawyers if they wanted to. You on the other hand would spend more on a lawyer than what buying a new device would cost.

sent from my Pixel 2 XL or Note FE

Wrong. It works every single time. Samsung isn't spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly out an army of lawyers to a small claims court in the middle of nowhere to win a case for $1000 lol. The bad optics alone would make it a horribly stupid move, even without taking the "spend hundreds of thousands to not have to pay for a device that probably costs them less than $200"

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Wrong. It works every single time. Samsung isn't spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly out an army of lawyers to a small claims court in the middle of nowhere to win a case for $1000 lol. The bad optics alone would make it a horribly stupid move, even without taking the "spend hundreds of thousands to not have to pay for a device that probably costs them less than $200"

I said could, not would.

And show me a documented case where someone took an exynos device in for warranty work in a snapdragon market then you have something to talk about.

Not going to happen, i went through this in Canada with the note 7. Even under those extreme circumstances samsung Canada wouldn't touch it.

Dude if you havent been through it first hand probably best not to comment on it. And if you have been through it with success please tell us exactly how you made it happen

Last edited:

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
I said could, not would.

And show me a documented case where someone took an exynos device in for warranty work in a snapdragon market then you have something to talk about.

Not going to happen, i went through this in Canada with the note 7. Even under those extreme circumstances samsung Canada wouldn't touch it.

If you havent been through it first hand probably best not to comment on it.

Actually no they can't in most states. Small claims courts usually have provisions against bringing lawyers.

And why is the burden of proof suddenly on me? Show me one documented case where someone took Samsung to small claims court over the warranty not applying to an exynos device and lost. THEN and only then do you have the ability to state that I'm wrong.

I can show you dozens of cases of people bringing small claims actions against large companies and winning, usually without even entering a court room. It's logical that this would apply to Samsung as well. What's not logical is saying "not gonna happen" yet bringing absolutely no evidence to back up this claim ?

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Actually no they can't in most states. Small claims courts usually have provisions against bringing lawyers.

And why is the burden of proof suddenly on me? Show me one documented case where someone took Samsung to small claims court over the warranty not applying to an exynos device and lost. THEN and only then do you have the ability to state that I'm wrong.

I can show you dozens of cases of people bringing small claims actions against large companies and winning, usually without even entering a court room. It's logical that this would apply to Samsung as well. What's not logical is saying "not gonna happen" yet bringing absolutely no evidence to back up this claim ?

The evidence is my own experience as stated, not going to court but trying to get Samsung to Either replace or refund my note 7 on recall (which is worse than defective as it was dangerous to people) and they wouldn't touch it here in canada because it was exynos. Numerous others on the board and similar experiences in the US. Zero support

Been there done that as they say, have you?

And your still new here, ive been here far longer and seen this over and over with sammy on this very board over the years. Samsung just will not acknowledge devices that are bought "out of market" i dont think you've been around long enough to have seen this type of behaviour.

Experience junior, there is no replacement for it ?

Believe me i wish it worked as you say, as it would make life easier but it simply does not work like that unfortunately

Last edited:

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
The evidence is my own experience as stated, not going to court but trying to get Samsung to Either replace or refund my note 7 on recall (which is worse than defective as it was dangerous to people) and they wouldn't touch it here in canada because it was exynos. Numerous others on the board and similar experiences in the US. Zero support

Been there done that as they say, have you?

And your still new here, ive been here far longer and seen this over and over with sammy on this very board over the years. Samsung just will not acknowledge devices that are bought "out of market" i dont think you've been around long enough to have seen this type of behaviour.

Experience junior, there is no replacement for it ?

Believe me i wish it worked as you say, as it would make life easier but it simply does not work like that unfortunately

Wrong again. The age of my account does not accurately represent the amount of time I have a) been present here and b) much more importantly, my experience with mobile devices goes considerably beyond this relatively small corner of the mobile ecosystem. Pick your head up and look around once in a while, you might be surprised at what there is out there in the world. ?

And furthermore, the question asked was how many times you have taken Samsung to small claims court and lost. If the answer is less than 1 for whatever reason, then based upon your own standard for proof put forth in this thread, there is none that says otherwise, only examples of slightly different but not horribly different examples of people doing this with similar but admittedly not exactly the same situations where the company in question caved immediately and have the customer everything they wanted. Turns out going to court against your customers is a lose lose situation: either you lose and look stupid and pretty, or you win and lose any number of customers because you definitely lost the one you just beat. And god help you if that person has a following, you could lose a lot more.

To sum things up rather simply: you have zero experience with this because youve never seen it through and actually tried+ You can't call something impossible that you haven't even tried ?

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Wrong again. The age of my account does not accurately represent the amount of time I have a) been present here and b) much more importantly, my experience with mobile devices goes considerably beyond this relatively small corner of the mobile ecosystem. Pick your head up and look around once in a while, you might be surprised at what there is out there in the world. ?

And furthermore, the question asked was how many times you have taken Samsung to small claims court and lost. If the answer is less than 1 for whatever reason, then based upon your own standard for proof put forth in this thread, there is none that says otherwise, only examples of slightly different but not horribly different examples of people doing this with similar but admittedly not exactly the same situations where the company in question caved immediately and have the customer everything they wanted. Turns out going to court against your customers is a lose lose situation: either you lose and look stupid and pretty, or you win and lose any number of customers because you definitely lost the one you just beat. And god help you if that person has a following, you could lose a lot more.

To sum things up rather simply: you have zero experience with this because youve never seen it through and actually tried+ You can't call something impossible that you haven't even tried ?

Well I haven't tried to fly but Im pretty sure thats impossible even though I haven't tried ?

Your situation in this regard is identical to mine, in that neither of us has experience taking samsung to court the only difference is we believe different outcomes will happen if we did.

However only one of us has experience trying to to get support from samsung on an exynos device in an unsupported market.

So overall I have more experience with this than you sir.

And as for the " i have tons of experience outside of xda speech" was wondering when that would appear lol, thanks for not disappointing!
I have heard that may times over the years also however experience outside of XDA in most cases cannot be proven or measured. You could say all kinds of things but how would anyone know whats true? With that in mind i go based on user experience here and in that regard your still new sorry my friend ?

We can debate this all day, i mean its giving me some good laughs and you also likely but at the end of the day we both have different opinions and thats completely okay. And although i disagree with yours i can respect it.
Besides If everyone agreed on all things it would make for a very boring experience dont you think?

Reactions: dstarfire

kekistaneerefugee

Jul 10, 2017
Im sorry I don't follow,but I think it's irrelevent. It does not matter what the corporate structure of Samsung is. When you purchase a device, that device comes with a warranty. It is illegal in the usa to refuse service for an incident unrelated to root that would otherwise be covered by warranty. Doesn't matter if the warranty is with Santa Claus, it's still subject to us law.

They will of course try and tell you otherwise, but standing your ground, knowing your rights and threatening to sue in small claims court if it comes to it will get your warranty honored.

You arent buying the device from the US thats the problem.You are free to travel to the country in which it was bought and use your existing warranty but you cant expect to purchase something in one country, import it, and then demand a warranty in that country where the company doesnt even exist! Your logic is severely flawed lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceminer

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
Well I haven't tried to fly but Im pretty sure thats impossible even though I haven't tried ?

Your situation in this regard is identical to mine, in that neither of us has experience taking samsung to court the only difference is we believe different outcomes will happen if we did.

However only one of us has experience trying to to get support from samsung on an exynos device in an unsupported market.

And as for the " i have tons of experience outside of xda speech" was wondering when that would appear lol, thanks for not disappointing!
I have heard that may times over the years also however experience outside of XDA in most cases cannot be proven or measured. You could say all kinds of things but how would anyone know whats true? With that in mind i go based on user experience here and in that regard your still new sorry my friend ?

We can debate this all day, i mean its giving me some good laughs and you also likely but at the end of the day we both have different opinions and thats completely okay. And although i disagree with yours i can respect it.
Besides If everyone agreed on all things it would make for a very boring experience dont you think?c

It could be with things like YouTube videos and public employment records, but I'm not interested in prostrating myself like that that to win an internet argument.

It has been fun debating with you. Glad we kept it civil. I wish this still happened more often here :good: :good: :good: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

shootind5nukes

May 23, 2010
False. Denying warranty service for an unrelated issue is illegal in the US, large swaths of europe and many other places.

I have been trying to tell this to people for years but they don't listen. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I have already had it out with samsung and verizon and won both times.

Yes I'm rooted, now prove that's why my charging port or power button isn't working. Your move. Yes delivery on Friday is fine.

Reactions: Spaceminer

waylo

May 9, 2010
I have been trying to tell this to people for years but they don't listen. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I have already had it out with samsung and verizon and won both times.

Yes I'm rooted, now prove that's why my charging port or power button isn't working. Your move. Yes delivery on Friday is fine.

Maybe you can provide some guidance to the common user on how you utilized this strategy? Some low level customer support person doesn't seem to have the power to do this for the consumer.

shootind5nukes

May 23, 2010
Maybe you can provide some guidance to the common user on how you utilized this strategy? Some low level customer support person doesn't seem to have the power to do this for the consumer.

I just read them Warranty Act right off exactly as it's wrote and told them they had to prove the issue in question was definitely caused by rooting, which is just putting an executable file named su into /system/bin. . First time is was a charging port, second time power button quit working. I raised hell until I went to the next level of support. I read it to that guy and asked him what a file in /system/bin had to do with a charging port not working. It had nothing to do with it so he caved.

keep in mind rooting doesn't mess with kernel so I could see how some really smart tech support guy could maybe say messing with the kernel could have messed with those things, but not rooting.

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017

Also, this won't happen but if they push back and won't stop, you can sue Samsung in your local small claims court. It sounds ridiculous but it's setup cc specifically for you. A representative capable of speaking for the entire company must show up for the trial, and if they don't you get to make your case directly to the sitting judge with no rebuttal ?. Given you are unquestionably in the legal right, as stated by a us circut Court (the ones right under the supreme Court). I know it's surprising that more people don't do it, but many people in America Don't take advantage of the (vanishingly few) civil liberties we have left!

I think Part of it is there are a lot of misconceptions about what can happen. For example, there ate extremely limited rules around how each side can prepare (no million dollar lawyer bills), and in fact many states do not allow bringing a lawyer to trail at all. There is also a very low cap on maximum damages that can be requested, and some states put a very reasonable cap on legal fees restitution but most of them just do not allow it.

In practice, what happens is they settle out of court (read: give you what you want) no matter what your case is about as it's by far the cheapest option. Look it up online there are tons of stories about people doing this to all over the us. I can't speak for Europe but I'm sure I recall reading about this happening in some eu countried

Last edited:

waylo

May 9, 2010
Small claims is excellent for these types of things. As you mentioned, in my state, no hired lawyers are allowed. (Of course, if the person suing or being sued is a lawyer, you can't help that. Pretty sure a company 'rep' who's assigned could be a lawyer too). The max limit is $10,000 in damages.

But it's $30-40 to file the suit, and you could ask for that back as part of the settlement.

That being said, many of these companies have mandatory arbitration written into contracts.

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017

Oh I know, these old wives tales regarding this stuff refuse to die. I've been harping on the "root trips Knox" myth for what feels like forever and haven't seemed to make much of a dent in anything but my patience ?

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I would wonder about the jurisdiction of such a lawsuit. That alone could make it a waste of time and money. Say someone decided to sue them, do you sue the big Kahuna which is in Korea? If Samsung doesn't have a physical location in your state then you file where they are physically located and where is that going to be and are you going to travel there for court?

waylo

May 9, 2010
I would wonder about the jurisdiction of such a lawsuit. That alone could make it a waste of time and money. Say someone decided to sue them, do you sue the big Kahuna which is in Korea? If Samsung doesn't have a physical location in your state then you file where they are physically located and where is that going to be and are you going to travel there for court?

You file in the area where the event occurred. So, that's local for you. Yes, you can sue someone who doesn't live where you live. And yes, that court appearance or arbitration can occur at your local court house.

Last edited:

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
You file in the area where the event occurred. So, that's local for you. Yes, you can sue someone who doesn't live where you live. And yes, that court appearance or arbitration can occur at your local court house.

Uhh, no at least not any state that an attorney friend of mine knows of. "As a general rule, a case must be filed in the county (and area of court location) in which the defendant resides. This general rule promotes fairness, since it's usually easier for a defendant to defend a case if it's filed in the locality where the defendant resides." He said one of the exceptions he knows of is in accident claims. I'll go with what he thinks although I don't plan on subjecting myself to thiose frustrations any time soon.

waylo

May 9, 2010
I'm not doubting your attorney friend knows the law, good to have his input. A question I would have is then, if a company sells merchandise within a state, does that not mean they have a presence there, and are thus liable there?

Some states I've looked at say only that a small claims filing needs to be where "the damage, claim, or injury occurred."

Regardless, neither one of us is actually pursuing anything, but maybe someone here will take the initiative if needed.

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
Uhh, no at least not any state that an attorney friend of mine knows of. "As a general rule, a case must be filed in the county (and area of court location) in which the defendant resides. This general rule promotes fairness, since it's usually easier for a defendant to defend a case if it's filed in the locality where the defendant resides." He said one of the exceptions he knows of is in accident claims. I'll go with what he thinks although I don't plan on subjecting myself to thiose frustrations any time soon.

This does not apply to small claims court cases like we are referring to here. Do 5m of research online and you will fine tons of documentation about this.

Once again though, it's irrelevent because Samsung will not let it get that far, they will cave and honor your warranty long before you go anywhere near a trial room.

Well perhaps you can afford to just go buy a new phone leaving over $600 on the table, but many here can't. Furthermore the last thing I want is for these companies misinformation campaigns to be successful in stopping people from fully enjoying their devices how they want to because of what is essentially a lie and some incredibly anti consumer tactics.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.

This says it all.

Go exynos, snapdragons are a waste of time if you want an unlocked bootloader and development

The Chinese devices are snaps and BL unlocked also but see next to no development. So again exynos is a better choice

I didn't see any questions popped up in the forum yet about unlocked bootloaders.

That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.

Besides If everyone agreed on all things it would make for a very boring experience dont you think?c

It could be with things like YouTube videos and public employment records, but I'm not interested in prostrating myself like that that to win an internet argument.

It has been fun debating with you. Glad we kept it civil. I wish this still happened more often here :good: :good: :good: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

I said could, not would.

Dude if you havent been through it first hand probably best not to comment on it. And if you have been through it with success please tell us exactly how you made it happen
    False. Denying warranty service for an unrelated issue is illegal in the US, large swaths of europe and many other places.

How many phones with knox tripped has samsung fixed for you under warranty? Illegal schmiegel no one is going to take samsung to court in the US if the service center denies you warranty if knox is tripped.