Samsung Galaxy S9 Bootloader - Unlocked Thread

Search This thread

jag9906

Dec 12, 2016
Humboldt
Uhh, no at least not any state that an attorney friend of mine knows of. "As a general rule, a case must be filed in the county (and area of court location) in which the defendant resides. This general rule promotes fairness, since it's usually easier for a defendant to defend a case if it's filed in the locality where the defendant resides." He said one of the exceptions he knows of is in accident claims. I'll go with what he thinks although I don't plan on subjecting myself to thiose frustrations any time soon.

Not true completely that is a direct quote from California website but that section deals with person to person claims like a car accident, not corporations. i had a faulty slave cylinder installed in my truck from a company don't remember the name but there parent company a national auto parts manufacture who sat on my claim for 5 months longer than the 90 days they say to honor it as listed on there site. I filled with bbb automotive repair branch they investigated and sent me a copy i kept sealed until court date.

Also most counties in California at least have hours in the court house to speak to a lawyer each day covers different subject family, small claims etc. Which i went and spoke to the person who dealt with helping small claims and learned my claim was valid and would not look by the court as a waste of time. Also i learned name everyone from location you purchased say a local reseller for verizon, name verizon name samsung usa and samsung. You can find that on your states secretary of state website plus you find who to send your demand and court dates too the "agent for service of process" for your state , if you don't name the parent company and win they can get away with not paying also this applies extra pressure to pay/replace/etc. If the corp does not keep up to date agent for service of process or it expires in Ca they can not defend themselves in court. It's an auto lose for them.

Write a demand letter to each stating your claim and expense you will sue for court filling costs, registered mail, and your time at a reasonable per hour rate, plus at court you will ask for subpoena costs and any future expense plus fees for court appearance. Register mail the letter i also emailed the letter to there legal division. Keep all receipts for court a journal time invested phone calls to settle or reply to emails and and subject to refer to in court showing you went beyond expectations to settle without court time.

You would be in a good place you have your journal and record for cost. Dont try to go crazy with hours invested and you can add pain and suffering like worried about bills cause if your cell is for work and took you bit if time to replace. Dont expect 2 months of payback.

But the whole trip knox cause root void warranty is bs. They release source cause law but thats useless without root etc there are valid things you can root for, dev work or design etc. If i own a phone by paying for complete price not a contract but my hands are tied and possible future revenue because samsung believes they know better and need to treat me like a child irritates the hell out of me. Along with their decitful crap they have done in the past or putting faulty drivers in kernel they can cause issues. Or possible explosion of battery by over charging etc. Not to mention the lie about knox. Little nsa should be called..

You can sue samsung and if valid reason do it. Just remember to name store purchased at and all parent companies they can say this is local issue so if not named they brush it off. Take advantage of the free legal help and direction.

Sorry long post dealing with different field but can be applied to sue samsung. And they don't personally have to send rep they can use local shop owner to rep them. But ask this is warranty clearly labeled on box about tripping knox. When they bring up warranty voids and reasons.

After court date you will get a court doc with verdict and stating 60 days to pay or file appeal. The company i sued used all 60 of those days to post mark a check. If they dont pay you can go back to court and demand a hold in all accounts until paid. If not paid in reasonable time plus further expenses and fines you cam collect. Its court issued but sake time they can say f it m not paying. They are not looking at jail time, so your only play at that point to lock accounts so no banking till paid, not an issue with corps the money lost far out does your win. Ca max small claims case 10,000 and there is also a cap per year you can sue of all cases combined for in total.

Last edited:
Reactions: waylo

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
Wrong but continue to believe that and with the money you'll get, buy a cup of coffee.

What parts specifically? Can show show examples of sentences or paragraphs are incorrect, with links to the California civil code where it contradicts what he wrote?

...have you read the California civil code pertaining to small claims court rules and regulations?

......... Maybe you read some editorials by members of the California board about how these well documented, easy to find, wirtten in reasonably straightforward English are all wrong and are not in fact indicative of the truth?

...surely you have something to backup your claim that the poster is wrong, right?

Right?

Reactions: sd_N and waylo

freshstylez

Jan 4, 2014
Sprint Galaxy S9

I’ve seen a few phone shops in New Orleans selling a service to sim unlock a sprint galaxy s9. Does the boot loader need to be unlocked to do this and how exactly are these phone shops able to do this? :confused:

TheBoozer

Jan 10, 2007
Lol....the fact that even has to be mentioned is hilarious.

sent from my Exynos S9 plus, Pixel 2 XL or Note FE

After going through 5 pages of arguement about small claims court, I think the question I had in mind has been answered. I purchased an international S9+ SM-G965F/DS (64GB) which has the Exynox processor and did not know if the bootloader was locked or unlocked. This thread indicates that it is Unlocked. Now is there a way to confirm this?

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
After going through 5 pages of arguement about small claims court, I think the question I had in mind has been answered. I purchased an international S9+ SM-G965F/DS (64GB) which has the Exynox processor and did not know if the bootloader was locked or unlocked. This thread indicates that it is Unlocked. Now is there a way to confirm this?

It is more or less, you only need to enable OEM unlock in dev settings. Then you are able to flash twrp after that.

Theres a bit more to it than that, 7 day wait etc but you can read up on the details...its been discussed ad nauseum here on xda and the info is readily here via search

sent from my Exynos S9 plus, Pixel 2 XL or Note FE

lodk

Sep 1, 2010
East coast
Ok a noob question maybe and maybe foolish aswell but i have learned a problem is sometimes solved when we start at the begining again.
With that said i know what a bootloader does i believe (makes sure malicious code is not run on the OS?) what i dont know or maybe a better term is understand what a bootloader is and how it is locked.
By saying "what it is" i mean is it a script written in code? if so what code? Is it locked like a archive file gets locked or completely different? If different how? Encryption lock?
I ask because i would love to try and help to figure out how to unlock the USA S9 SD variant.
Last question, i still have a note 5 tmob. That has a unlocked bootloader how can i dissect a copy my bootloader to see how it ticks.
Thanks for any input into this. I think this topic will serve everyone better then if Sammy will honor a warrant or not? j/k

jag9906

Dec 12, 2016
Humboldt
Ok a noob question maybe and maybe foolish aswell but i have learned a problem is sometimes solved when we start at the begining again.
With that said i know what a bootloader does i believe (makes sure malicious code is not run on the OS?) what i dont know or maybe a better term is understand what a bootloader is and how it is locked.
By saying "what it is" i mean is it a script written in code? if so what code? Is it locked like a archive file gets locked or completely different? If different how? Encryption lock?
I ask because i would love to try and help to figure out how to unlock the USA S9 SD variant.
Last question, i still have a note 5 tmob. That has a unlocked bootloader how can i dissect a copy my bootloader to see how it ticks.
Thanks for any input into this. I think this topic will serve everyone better then if Sammy will honor a warrant or not j/k

A bootloader is a partition that tells the system when powered on which environment to load. All systems computers phones etc have a boot of some type each different in protecting or the lengths they go to insure we can't alter it to stop people from F'n around with it, unlike those who release source code like GNU or similar BSD etc communities/lic. which open options easier and gives us a way to delve into dev/hack/alter /what ever you want to call it and easier understanding of the processes involved. There are some bright people and others working and gaining knowledge within there workplace who help the understanding here for these locked bootloader and systems and then share. Which is admire when dealing with manufactures like samsung who think you should not be able to alter product you straight up own. Thats when the locked bootloader steps it up, and at least for awhile they control and still make all the decisions on the devices we buy but it's odd other geographic locations have unlocked loaders I dont know for sure of course but could very well be a request from government like NSA. With locking it down and tools like Knox they know every detail of your life if that phone is glued in your hand. So installing a custom recovery which is usually your first step in updating your phone to install custom roms, root, mods kernels etc dumping things like bloat, samsung spyware, streamline, etc and really making your own choices and also the phone becomes a reflection of someones tastes attitude etc.

BUT A locked bootloader is not a 100% lock down of a system, or at least in recent past. But many things I am still researching can play into it. I was able to install custom recovery with a locked bootloader in the past, and with qualcomm mode I have read that you can or use to be able to install things such as recoveries etc. Now this might be limited to older versions of Android I am not sure, unless you replace boot or if there is a back up recovery/boot that will just get copies back over your custom img. So needing to copy over primary and backup then moving on from recovery to root, kernels, ROMs, Mods etc. The backups also can fix corruptions in the primary during boot not sure unauthorized img. Now I just recently got my hands on some old Snapdragons I am going to check this and I am unsure if its limited to older android versions like I said.

With the device I had for a short time which had a locked bootloader I ported a twrp recovery from another device and I was able to gain a temp root, and using flashify to install the twrp img withing the android OS and temp root on the phone. I then jump into recovery installed root and make it perm. With these snapdragons I have some samsungs s4. s7 possibly s8 and recent motorola's moto e4. z play and few more. I am going to see about going this route I know someone willing if I can get the s7/s8 recovery or boot to stick thats will try on his s9 plus. I am willing to trash these other devices to explore, learn and give samsung the finger. So by the end of the month I hope to at least see/learn if any of these will work with that mode, cause the trick i used with temp root probably will not happen.

Conkerts

Jul 4, 2006
False. Denying warranty service for an unrelated issue is illegal in the US, large swaths of europe and many other places.

You and many others have fallen victim to a misinformation campaign put on by Samsung and many carriers to make you think this is true so that you either won't do it or if you do and they're is an issue then you won't even try.

Keep in mind it has to be something impossible to be caused by unlock or root, like for example a physical screen detect or the outside body becoming discolored. If it could at all be caused by something you did that you couldn't do without unlock or root you are still sol even if you know you didn't

Interesting. I flew over the other discussion after page 3, but I'll read it later in more detail.
What I experienced (in Europe/Germany) with:
Sony Z3: You had to accept in the web form, that your warranty will be void. Also the DRM keys will be wiped (and some camera/ picture processing will be lost irreversibly).
Motorola Moto Z: Had to accept the web form as well. Warranty will be void. Then I had a crack inside the screen. Not the outer glass, so that would usually fall into Motorola warranty, but they denied warranty, was the device was unlocked.

So my conclusion is: I will only buy from manufacturers (the few left), who allow unlocking the bootloader and modify the SW. The others don't exist for me anymore.
If I wanted a locked environment, I'd go to Apple, even though I don't like them. (At least they provide updates for the older models as well, b/c their maintenance is far easier with so few models).

texz71

May 1, 2011
Problem with Unlocked phones on the US carriers, from my understanding, is that you lose advance features such as Wifi Calling, etc?? For me....not having Wifi Calling as a compromise to an unlocked systems is just not an option....as my cellular signal is poor at my place of work and many area's of town, that I am saved by Wifi calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: xdamember143

Docmjldds

Jan 27, 2010
Henderson, NV
Problem with Unlocked phones on the US carriers, from my understanding, is that you lose advance features such as Wifi Calling, etc?? For me....not having Wifi Calling as a compromise to an unlocked systems is just not an option....as my cellular signal is poor at my place of work and many area's of town, that I am saved by Wifi calling.

I'm a TMobile customer. I'm using an unlocked Exynos Dual Sim S9. I'm rooted. There's a thread here on XDA in Cross Development referencing Detonator. It enables WiFi calling just fine.

Reactions: texz71

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017

I'm running on a sm-g9650 s9+ which is the snapdragon international version with unlockable bootloader. I am currently running the stock rom modified with magisk and can pass safetynet if I disable Xposed. I also installed the CSC package from the sm-g965u and have full access to all of those features including lte+, volte and I'm pretty sure I could setup vowifi but I don't bother as I run my primary phone number through Google voice which accomplishes the same thing without a pile of crappy VZW apps. TBH I don't know why more people don't use the gv solution to WiFi calling it works literally everywhere on any network and will use any data even lte from a foreign country. When I travel abroad I make calls over WiFi or with a local Sim card's data to people at home and it's just like making a local call ?

Enabling and disabling it is as simple as the flip of a toggle in the Hangouts app. The only disadvantage is it doesn't know to not ring when I have working cell service so if I leave it enabled I will ring on both. Seeing as they have been revamping the voice app lately I have high hopes that this will be fixed

Last edited:
Reactions: texz71

kotuamoalt

Jun 23, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
Actually no they can't in most states. Small claims courts usually have provisions against bringing lawyers.

And why is the burden of proof suddenly on me? Show me one documented case where someone took Samsung to small claims court over the warranty not applying to an exynos device and lost. THEN and only then do you have the ability to state that I'm wrong.

I can show you dozens of cases of people bringing small claims actions against large companies and winning, usually without even entering a court room. It's logical that this would apply to Samsung as well. What's not logical is saying "not gonna happen" yet bringing absolutely no evidence to back up this claim

The burden of proof is on YOU, because YOU are the one making the claim.
You make all these claims with NO personal experience. You should stop now.

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

Not true completely that is a direct quote from California website but that section deals with person to person claims like a car accident, not corporations. i had a faulty slave cylinder installed in my truck from a company don't remember the name but there parent company a national auto parts manufacture who sat on my claim for 5 months longer than the 90 days they say to honor it as listed on there site. I filled with bbb automotive repair branch they investigated and sent me a copy i kept sealed until court date.

Also most counties in California at least have hours in the court house to speak to a lawyer each day covers different subject family, small claims etc. Which i went and spoke to the person who dealt with helping small claims and learned my claim was valid and would not look by the court as a waste of time. Also i learned name everyone from location you purchased say a local reseller for verizon, name verizon name samsung usa and samsung. You can find that on your states secretary of state website plus you find who to send your demand and court dates too the "agent for service of process" for your state , if you don't name the parent company and win they can get away with not paying also this applies extra pressure to pay/replace/etc. If the corp does not keep up to date agent for service of process or it expires in Ca they can not defend themselves in court. It's an auto lose for them.

Write a demand letter to each stating your claim and expense you will sue for court filling costs, registered mail, and your time at a reasonable per hour rate, plus at court you will ask for subpoena costs and any future expense plus fees for court appearance. Register mail the letter i also emailed the letter to there legal division. Keep all receipts for court a journal time invested phone calls to settle or reply to emails and and subject to refer to in court showing you went beyond expectations to settle without court time.

You would be in a good place you have your journal and record for cost. Dont try to go crazy with hours invested and you can add pain and suffering like worried about bills cause if your cell is for work and took you bit if time to replace. Dont expect 2 months of payback.

But the whole trip knox cause root void warranty is bs. They release source cause law but thats useless without root etc there are valid things you can root for, dev work or design etc. If i own a phone by paying for complete price not a contract but my hands are tied and possible future revenue because samsung believes they know better and need to treat me like a child irritates the hell out of me. Along with their decitful crap they have done in the past or putting faulty drivers in kernel they can cause issues. Or possible explosion of battery by over charging etc. Not to mention the lie about knox. Little nsa should be called..

You can sue samsung and if valid reason do it. Just remember to name store purchased at and all parent companies they can say this is local issue so if not named they brush it off. Take advantage of the free legal help and direction.

Sorry long post dealing with different field but can be applied to sue samsung. And they don't personally have to send rep they can use local shop owner to rep them. But ask this is warranty clearly labeled on box about tripping knox. When they bring up warranty voids and reasons.

After court date you will get a court doc with verdict and stating 60 days to pay or file appeal. The company i sued used all 60 of those days to post mark a check. If they dont pay you can go back to court and demand a hold in all accounts until paid. If not paid in reasonable time plus further expenses and fines you cam collect. Its court issued but sake time they can say f it m not paying. They are not looking at jail time, so your only play at that point to lock accounts so no banking till paid, not an issue with corps the money lost far out does your win. Ca max small claims case 10,000 and there is also a cap per year you can sue of all cases combined for in total.

Wow, that was REALLY difficult to read. Seriously. Proofreading and punctuation are your friends. And some of the stuff you stated is just not correct.
You cannot claim "pain and suffering", or "time spent worrying about bills" in small claims court. Or gas, time spent driving, etc.
Money owed, and filing fees. That's it.

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017

Wrong! Think a little harder. You are making the claim that this stuff is extraordinarily difficult, contrary to a plethora of available documentation to the latter all over the internet and elsewhere. Even just typing the question into Google yields numerous articles, write-ups, and reports from journalistic and legal resources across the board, all saying exactly the same thing.

This entire comment would have been a lot more effective if, instead of writing it on xda and making us all waste time reading it & me responding, you just spoke it out loud while looking into a mirror ?

kotuamoalt

Jun 23, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
Wrong. It works every single time. Samsung isn't spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly out an army of lawyers to a small claims court in the middle of nowhere to win a case for $1000 lol. The bad optics alone would make it a horribly stupid move, even without taking the "spend hundreds of thousands to not have to pay for a device that probably costs them less than $200"

You clearly do not know what in the hell you are talking about. "It works every single time." Cite the source(s) for
your ridiculous claim. "Bad optics"? It's small claims court, not national news. Posting a copy of your victory in
small claims court over Samsung would be sufficient. Redacted, of course. "Samsung isn't spending hundreds of
thousands of dollars to fly out an army of lawyers to a small claims court in the middle of nowhere to win a case for $1000"
WTF? First off, lawyers are not allowed in small claims court, and not all courts are "in the middle of nowhere".
And even if they were, your dollar estimates are still just ridiculous. Stop talking about this like you have actually done it
yourself, as you CLEARLY have not. Stop making claims without proof. Stop demanding others disprove your claims;
that is not how it works. You make the claim, you provide the proof. THAT is how it works. So just stop. Please.

kotuamoalt

Jun 23, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro

Wrong! Think a little harder. You are making the claim that this stuff is extraordinarily difficult, contrary to a plethora of available documentation to the latter all over the internet and elsewhere. Even just typing the question into Google yields numerous articles, write-ups, and reports from journalistic and legal resources across the board, all saying exactly the same thing.

This entire comment would have been a lot more effective if, instead of writing it on xda and making us all waste time reading it & me responding, you just spoke it out loud while looking into a mirror ?
I never made any claims, Skippy. YOU did. I merely called you out on your bullshit.

Scottie32583

Oct 1, 2018
Milton
Google Pixel 5
The post is meant to help people who want to learn to develop and can't because things like TWRP cant be loaded due to restrictions in the bootloader. People want to know how to avoid locked bootloaders. This is a way to find out. That's my guess. lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.

This says it all.

Go exynos, snapdragons are a waste of time if you want an unlocked bootloader and development

The Chinese devices are snaps and BL unlocked also but see next to no development. So again exynos is a better choice

sent from my Pixel 2 XL or Note FE
    I didn't see any questions popped up in the forum yet about unlocked bootloaders.

That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.
    Well I haven't tried to fly but Im pretty sure thats impossible even though I haven't tried ?

Your situation in this regard is identical to mine, in that neither of us has experience taking samsung to court the only difference is we believe different outcomes will happen if we did.

However only one of us has experience trying to to get support from samsung on an exynos device in an unsupported market.

So overall I have more experience with this than you sir.

And as for the " i have tons of experience outside of xda speech" was wondering when that would appear lol, thanks for not disappointing!
    I have heard that may times over the years also however experience outside of XDA in most cases cannot be proven or measured. You could say all kinds of things but how would anyone know whats true? With that in mind i go based on user experience here and in that regard your still new sorry my friend ?

We can debate this all day, i mean its giving me some good laughs and you also likely but at the end of the day we both have different opinions and thats completely okay. And although i disagree with yours i can respect it.
    Besides If everyone agreed on all things it would make for a very boring experience dont you think?c

sent from my Pixel 2 XL or Note FE

It could be with things like YouTube videos and public employment records, but I'm not interested in prostrating myself like that that to win an internet argument.

It has been fun debating with you. Glad we kept it civil. I wish this still happened more often here :good: :good: :good: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:
    Wrong. It works every single time. Samsung isn't spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly out an army of lawyers to a small claims court in the middle of nowhere to win a case for $1000 lol. The bad optics alone would make it a horribly stupid move, even without taking the "spend hundreds of thousands to not have to pay for a device that probably costs them less than $200"

I said could, not would.

And show me a documented case where someone took an exynos device in for warranty work in a snapdragon market then you have something to talk about.

Not going to happen, i went through this in Canada with the note 7. Even under those extreme circumstances samsung Canada wouldn't touch it.

Dude if you havent been through it first hand probably best not to comment on it. And if you have been through it with success please tell us exactly how you made it happen
    False. Denying warranty service for an unrelated issue is illegal in the US, large swaths of europe and many other places.

How many phones with knox tripped has samsung fixed for you under warranty? Illegal schmiegel no one is going to take samsung to court in the US if the service center denies you warranty if knox is tripped.