Samsung Galaxy S9 Bootloader - Unlocked Thread

Search This thread

Praxxer1

Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, it's a reputable source. I don't find this article surprising at all. Locked bootloaders seem to be more of a U.S. thing, and in particular, a Verizon thing.

Yeah, after digging a little deeper, the method I linked excludes US variant snapdragons (shocker). I have a SM-G965U and I check XDA periodically to see if anyone has figured out an exploit to unlock the bootloader.... I hate bloatware with a passion.

Thanks for responding.

Reactions: kotuamoalt

kotuamoalt

Jun 23, 2016
OnePlus 8 Pro
Yeah, after digging a little deeper, the method I linked excludes US variant snapdragons (shocker). I have a SM-G965U and I check XDA periodically to see if anyone has figured out an exploit to unlock the bootloader.... I hate bloatware with a passion.

Thanks for responding.
Yeah, I thought that in all your excitement, you might have missed the part about the US models. And everybody puts bloatware on their phones to some degree, but Verizon is just the WORST. My S5 came with a locked bootloader, but people much smarter than myself figured out a way to unlock it. It is a cat-and-mouse game, and the cats seem to be winning. At least for now.

Reactions: Praxxer1

Kens432

Apr 5, 2019
I have a galaxy S9 SM-G960U and would to know how to unlock the bootloader and the phone do not have fastboot so I can't root my phone.
And at the very least I would like to know how to stop my phone from updating until a solution come along. can someone help thanks

elander

Oct 23, 2009
Is this a reputable source? Has anyone tried this yet? It seems too good to be true.

https://www.goandroid.co.in/unlock-bootloader-of-galaxy-s9-plus-snapdragon/84688/

Do you know if this can still be done on a latin american Snapdragon version on android Pie? (I believe I've seen this tutorial floating around before android pie was available for the S9).
I might want to give it a try, but I want to make sure that this method is l compatible with android pie.

Another (broader?) question is: After unlocking and flashing TWRP, What´s available for the snapdragon version? I mean, I´ve seen little activity in the snadragon forum (I still appreciate the effort put by the devs in there). Is there something that might make the risk worth it? I mean, nowadays there´re a lots of things we used to unlock and root for, but most of those things are already available in one way or another without the need to root or flash anything. I´ve been away from the forums for a while, sorry if this sounds wrong, im not saying this in a demanding way. Just wanted to know if there was something nice I might have missed.

baboon23

Apr 9, 2020
Hi friends, I have some difficulties understanding which S9 to buy in 2020.

What are the safest models to get that can have their bootloaders unlocked for sure ? I am in EU.

Thanks !

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
OnePlus 9 Pro
Do you know if this can still be done on a latin american Snapdragon version on android Pie? (I believe I've seen this tutorial floating around before android pie was available for the S9).
I might want to give it a try, but I want to make sure that this method is l compatible with android pie.

Another (broader?) question is: After unlocking and flashing TWRP, What´s available for the snapdragon version? I mean, I´ve seen little activity in the snadragon forum (I still appreciate the effort put by the devs in there). Is there something that might make the risk worth it? I mean, nowadays there´re a lots of things we used to unlock and root for, but most of those things are already available in one way or another without the need to root or flash anything. I´ve been away from the forums for a while, sorry if this sounds wrong, im not saying this in a demanding way. Just wanted to know if there was something nice I might have missed.

Yes, the Latin America Galaxy S9 (SM-G9600) and S9+ (SM-G9650) have fully unlockable bootloaders, and work 100% fine in the US. Depending on the region yours comes from they might not work straight out of the box, but at least one of the CSCs work just fine in the US, and you can even go further and (once your BL is unlocked) flash a CSC from the US models (SM-G960U/SM-G965U) to get most things working.

As for "risk", there is no "risk" involved. The worst thing that will happen is you soft brick the device, in which case simply flashing stock will put everything back. The biggest risk involved is Samsung's stupid protection software that will, if you don't 100% correctly follow the right procedure when flashing modified software after unlocking, re-lock your bootloader and prevent you from flashing modified software again for 2 weeks.

As for whats available, there isnt much last I checked. Someone was working on Lineage at one point, but I don't know the current status. At the very least, simply running stock with Magisk root works 100% fine.

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Wont work sorry.

Do you really think samsung cares about small claims court? They could show up with an army of lawyers if they wanted to. You on the other hand would spend more on a lawyer than what buying a new device would cost.

sent from my Pixel 2 XL or Note FE
I've got news for you. Lawyers aren't allowed in Small Claims Court. The whole purpose of Small Claims Courts is the avoid the expense of lawyers.

LagMaster420

Oct 21, 2019
Can we please focus on the OP question? I thought I saw software which could do it. Root the snapdragon. I bet getting the su binary on there would be easier than disabling bootloader. Perhaps a tool exists that hasn't been mentioned here? The thread is ****, but maybe we can at least make it rewarding to suffer through?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.

This says it all.

Go exynos, snapdragons are a waste of time if you want an unlocked bootloader and development

The Chinese devices are snaps and BL unlocked also but see next to no development. So again exynos is a better choice

I didn't see any questions popped up in the forum yet about unlocked bootloaders.

That's because we all know the snapdragon ones will be locked, if you want an unlocked bootloader get the european one.
    Wrong. It works every single time. Samsung isn't spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly out an army of lawyers to a small claims court in the middle of nowhere to win a case for $1000 lol. The bad optics alone would make it a horribly stupid move, even without taking the "spend hundreds of thousands to not have to pay for a device that probably costs them less than $200"

I said could, not would.

And show me a documented case where someone took an exynos device in for warranty work in a snapdragon market then you have something to talk about.

Not going to happen, i went through this in Canada with the note 7. Even under those extreme circumstances samsung Canada wouldn't touch it.

Dude if you havent been through it first hand probably best not to comment on it. And if you have been through it with success please tell us exactly how you made it happen
    Well I haven't tried to fly but Im pretty sure thats impossible even though I haven't tried ?

Your situation in this regard is identical to mine, in that neither of us has experience taking samsung to court the only difference is we believe different outcomes will happen if we did.

However only one of us has experience trying to to get support from samsung on an exynos device in an unsupported market.

So overall I have more experience with this than you sir.

And as for the " i have tons of experience outside of xda speech" was wondering when that would appear lol, thanks for not disappointing!
    I have heard that may times over the years also however experience outside of XDA in most cases cannot be proven or measured. You could say all kinds of things but how would anyone know whats true? With that in mind i go based on user experience here and in that regard your still new sorry my friend ?

We can debate this all day, i mean its giving me some good laughs and you also likely but at the end of the day we both have different opinions and thats completely okay. And although i disagree with yours i can respect it.
    Besides If everyone agreed on all things it would make for a very boring experience dont you think?c

It could be with things like YouTube videos and public employment records, but I'm not interested in prostrating myself like that that to win an internet argument.

It has been fun debating with you. Glad we kept it civil. I wish this still happened more often here :good: :good: :good: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:
    False. Denying warranty service for an unrelated issue is illegal in the US, large swaths of europe and many other places.

How many phones with knox tripped has samsung fixed for you under warranty? Illegal schmiegel no one is going to take samsung to court in the US if the service center denies you warranty if knox is tripped.