Search This thread

Oronto

Sep 27, 2021
Hello! This is my first post on any forum ever, so please be gentle.

Recently I dumpster dove behind a U.S. Cellular that had just gone out of business and I found this neat Samsung Galaxy S9 Live Demo phone. It was originally flashed with an SM-G960XU Firmware, but I wanted to de-demo mode it, so I thought I would flash an SM-G960U firmware on it instead.

This failed miserably and I now have the following error: "Security Error: This phone has been flashed with unauthorized software...". A picture of the error, as well as the other information I have been able to glean from the locked phone is attached.

Unfortunately, I knew nothing about androids before attempting to flash the phone, so I have no other data about the phone other than what is in the pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Oronto

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    481.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.png
    2.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.png
    3.png
    363.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 4.png
    4.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 53

effry

Mar 14, 2011
Milan
Samsung Galaxy S9
Demo unit should be missing the baseband chip hardware inside, so even if you could flash the stock firmware you would be limited to using it with wifi.

Apart from that, what happens if you try to flash again with odin? i would try flashing the precedent firmware G960XU

Oronto

Sep 27, 2021
Demo unit should be missing the baseband chip hardware inside, so even if you could flash the stock firmware you would be limited to using it with wifi.

Apart from that, what happens if you try to flash again with odin? i would try flashing the precedent firmware G960XU
Hi effry,
Thank you for your response. I would love to reflash it with its original firmware but I can’t find it anywhere on the internet! I did not realize I was supposed to back up the firmware before flashing it which was quite the mistake. Do you happen to know where I might be able to find this firmware?
Thank you very much,
Oronto

effry

Mar 14, 2011
Milan
Samsung Galaxy S9
Start from here and check the exact phone model with the IMEI, it is printed on the bottom of the back of the phone (use a strong light, it's a small and light text)

After that you can use the same site to search for the correct firmware , donwload it and flash it with Odin

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hi Blackhawk,
Thanks for the response. What do you mean by a parts queen? Do you mean I should sell it for parts on eBay?
Thanks,
Oronto
A hangar queen is the actual terminology. An aircraft used for donor parts to keep others flying.
The display, frame, battery, C port pcb, cam module should be good. The mobo is useless for use as a phone except as noted with wifi.

So if you have another phone of the same model... you now have an Android queen🤣

Oronto

Sep 27, 2021
Start from here and check the exact phone model with the IMEI, it is printed on the bottom of the back of the phone (use a strong light, it's a small and light text)

After that you can use the same site to search for the correct firmware , donwload it and flash it with Odin
Hi effry,
Thank you again! I input the model’s serial number into the website you linked and it returned that the firmware is SM-G960XZKUXAR. Unfortunately, that website doesn’t have the firmware that it tells me the phone is supposed to have. I checked elsewhere on the internet but I can’t seem to find it. Is there an obscure website you know of that might have it?
Alternatively, do you think it is possible that I could flash it with another equivalent firmware? If so, what might you suggest?
Thank you very much,
Oronto

Oronto

Sep 27, 2021
A hangar queen is the actual terminology. An aircraft used for donor parts to keep others flying.
The display, frame, battery, C port pcb, cam module should be good. The mobo is useless for use as a phone except as noted with wifi.

So if you have another phone of the same model... you now have an Android queen🤣
Hi blackhawk,
Thank you for your insight into which parts seem useful for scrapping. It is looking like I might have to do that. Unfortunately, I do not have an equivalent model, so I will have to sell it for parts if it comes down to that.
Thanks again,
Oronto

Reactions: blackhawk

effry

Mar 14, 2011
Milan
Samsung Galaxy S9
Hi effry,
Thank you again! I input the model’s serial number into the website you linked and it returned that the firmware is SM-G960XZKUXAR. Unfortunately, that website doesn’t have the firmware that it tells me the phone is supposed to have. I checked elsewhere on the internet but I can’t seem to find it. Is there an obscure website you know of that might have it?
Alternatively, do you think it is possible that I could flash it with another equivalent firmware? If so, what might you suggest?
Thank you very much,
Oronto
By looking online it seems that flashing the firmware with odin should fix the issue. Maybe you did something wrong in the process? i would try another odin flash using this firmware

effry

Mar 14, 2011
Milan
Samsung Galaxy S9
If it doesn't work, i found the SM-G960X files here, this should be the full DEMO firmware

There are also some interesting download here, they say to be the complete firmware but for some reason they are just 1 gb size instead of 4.4gb like the others so i don't know

Last edited:

Oronto

Sep 27, 2021
If it doesn't work, i found the SM-G960X files here, this should be the full DEMO firmware

There are also some interesting download here, they say to be the complete firmware but for some reason they are just 1 gb size instead of 4.4gb like the others so i don't know

Hi effry,
Thank you very much for all of these options! I will try them all when I get home and let you know if I have any success.
Thanks again,
Oronto

Oronto

Sep 27, 2021

Hello again effry,
I tried your firmwares and bad things have happened. It got to where the download was almost finished and then it displayed this error. Unfortunately Smart Switch Emergency Software Recovery does not register it as connected.
I believe I am boned. Thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Oronto

Attachments

• IMG_0081.PNG
    IMG_0081.PNG
    4.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0082.PNG
    IMG_0082.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 25

billa

Mar 30, 2006
Hello again effry,
I tried your firmwares and bad things have happened. It got to where the download was almost finished and then it displayed this error. Unfortunately Smart Switch Emergency Software Recovery does not register it as connected.
I believe I am boned. Thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Oronto

You could just replace the motherboard from Ebay for around 50 bucks (USD). Make sure it's a regular unlocked version (both FRP and network), any carrier will do since you can cross flash any firmware of your choice (no need for the demo anymore). Just a heads up, demo units sometimes are missing some of the LTE antenna cables/connectors, which would prevent the good replacement main board from working on cellular.

Oronto

Sep 27, 2021
You could just replace the motherboard from Ebay for around 50 bucks (USD). Make sure it's a regular unlocked version (both FRP and network), any carrier will do since you can cross flash any firmware of your choice (no need for the demo anymore). Just a heads up, demo units sometimes are missing some of the LTE antenna cables/connectors, which would prevent the good replacement main board from working on cellular.
Hi billa,
Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into it, but I might end up just selling it for parts.
Thanks,
Oronto

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi blackhawk,
    Thank you for your insight into which parts seem useful for scrapping. It is looking like I might have to do that. Unfortunately, I do not have an equivalent model, so I will have to sell it for parts if it comes down to that.
    Thanks again,
    Oronto