samsung galaxy s9 root android 10 exynos

Search This thread

bis225

May 8, 2021
I would very much like to see this answered. I've seen some application-specific instructions such as this reddit thread for enabling Samsung Health, and I've read about hiding the fact that the phone is rooted from apps by using MagiskHide, but it's not clear whether this works for all apps and features or just some. There's also this recently updated guide to rooting that claims:

Magisk is a highly advanced way of rooting android systemless-ly. This means that Magisk root android without changing or modifying the system partition. Hence you can receive OTA updates, run apps that require to pass Google’s SafetyNet tests.

However, many hacks that sound good when you read about them in advance run into snags and gotchas once you actually get into implementing them, and I'm hesitant to just give it a try and see how it works out when tripping Knox is irreversible and if things stop working you can't get them back by flashing the stock ROM.

I'd be grateful if anyone who has actual experience on this subject could vouch for being able to re-enable all lost functionality after rooting or to not lose it in the first place, or whether even some lost functionality can be enabled (and if so, what have you been able to get working and what haven't you? I don't know about OP, but to me the most important ones are Secure Folder and Samsung Health).

Also, does anyone have experience with retaining Knox-sensitive functionality on rooted S9 Exynos with Android 11 (either rooting after upgrading to 11, or rooting first and retaining root when upgrading)?

bis225

May 8, 2021
@bis225

IMO noone needs Magisk to root a device's Android. Rooting Android means having the SU-binary present on Android - a ~100KB file - nothing else. Copying SU-binary onto Android allows you to temporariy give you root access when needed.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you telling me that you can simply copy the file onto an unrooted phone, and voila, you can gain root access?? Can you point to information about what to do and how this works? It runs contrary to everything I've ever read on the subject.

To the best of my understanding, in order to install su binary unto an unrooted phone you need to install a custom recovery, and use that to flash the su binary onto the phone. I thought the idea of Magisk was to provide root access without modifying system files so that SafetyNet can't detect that the system has been modified. Unless I'm missing something there's no disadvantage to rooting with Magisk, only advantages, but regardless, I don't see how it makes a difference with respect to this topic. Installing a custom recovery is what trips Knox and prevents some features and apps from working, so it doesn't really matter what root method you use if you have to use a custom recovery to install it.

If you know of a way to root a Galaxy S9 without using a custom recovery or tripping Knox and that can't be detected by SafetyNet, please elaborate.

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    Rooting Android simply means to add a ( hidden ) user called root ( AKA super-user ) who has ALL rights to Android's file system.

For example from within ADB you activate this user and let run him any command what requires to have ALL rights - assumed the SU-binary is located in /sdcard

Code:
    adb shell "/sdcard/su -c '<command-here>'"

AFAIK Magisk installs the SU-binary in /data/adb/magisk/busybox, but I may err.

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    I think I clearly expressed that neither a Custom Revovery nor Magisk itself is needed to have root, that simply copying SU-binary to Android's user-space is enough.

If you want to root via Magisk then do it. :)
    Personally never would do it this way.

bis225

May 8, 2021
    I think I clearly expressed that neither a Custom Revovery nor Magisk itself is needed to have root, that simply copying SU-binary to Android's user-space is enough.

If you want to root via Magisk then do it. :)
    Personally never would do it this way.
    This really seems contrary to everything I've read, and this Stack Exchange thread specifically explains why that wouldn't work, but if you say you have experience with this and it works for you, I'm certainly willing to give it a try and see how far it gets me. Do you know where a copy of the su binary can be obtained? All my searches for su binary lead to the supersu APK and instructions for installing it by flashing, or something along those lines. I can't find an su executable that can just be copied to internal storage as-is anywhere.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hello, is there a way to root the phone where everything works now (Bluetooth, Face ID, etc.)?