Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) with S Pen LTE (SM-P205) ROOT ACHIEVED / Howto

Search This thread

flushback666

Jul 7, 2007
So here are my experiences with rooting the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) with S Pen (SM-P205)

First of all i am not responsible for any damages or data loss of your devices. So be aware that you could brick your device!

I tested this on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with SPEN LTE SM-205. The procedure should be the same for the SM-P200 as this procedure is a general Samsug procedure for 2019 Devices.
But since i dont have one. I cant test this.

As no twrp recovery exists for this device be very carefull!

Before you begin make a backup of your internal storage as it gets deleted several times during this procedure!!!!
Therefore it could be handy to also use a sdcard(wont get deleted) for copying files to/from the device.
But it can also be done without. This howto is based on the magisk manual from topjohnwu.
https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html (Samsung System-as-root Section)

Tools needed:
Firmware of your device
Odin3_v3.13.1 Link thanks to Life Companion
Magisk Manager Link thanks to topjohnwu
Samfirm (deprecated but works) Link thanks to zxz0O0

1. Do a software update to the newest version of the firmware.
At the time writing this is P205DXU2ASH2 for my Samsung Galaxy Tab A with SPen LTE (SM-P205)

2. Find out what firmware your device is using and also what's is the region / CSC of your device.

To do that go to settings/About Tablet/Software Information/
Baseband version:
e.g. P205DXU2ASH2
Next Step scroll down to "Service providewr SW ver." and look at your CSC in the last line:
eg. XME/XME/XME -> CSC is XME (Malaysia)

3. Now its time to download the correspondending firnmware for your device. Use SamFirm Tool to download your firmware (Check "Auto". Type in your Model (SM-P205 and your CSC) and download or download it
from the usual Samsung Firmware Download Pages
(eg. SamMobile.com etc)

4. Unzip the downloaded Firwmare with 7zip
5. You will now have 5 Files beginning with their names: AP,BL,CP,CSC and HOME_CSC
These are ODIN flashable files.

6. Download and install the current magisk manager to our device. Also copy the AP File to your devices internal memory or sdcard. Best method for copying is using adb.
Start magisk and click on install. Press a second time install and choose "Select and Patch a File" Choose your copied AP file. Magisk will now patch the image and inject itself.
The patched file can now be found in your Download directory of your internal memory. Its name is magisk_patched.tar. Copy it over to your PC. Again best method is using adb for copying.

7. Bootloader Unlocking:

Quote from the magisk documentation from topjohnwu:

"

Unlocking Bootloader

Normally I wouldn’t provide instructions for this, but since things had changed drastically from previous Samsung devices, and there are some caveats, I figure this would be helpful.

Allow bootloader unlocking in Developer options → OEM unlocking
Reboot your device to download mode. Either use adb reboot download, or use the key combo for your device.

"

Download Mode Key Combo: Vol + and Vol -

"
Long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot.

Just when you think the bootloader is unlocked, it is actually not! Samsung introduced VaultKeeper, meaning the bootloader will reject any unofficial partitions before VaultKeeper explicitly allows it.

Go through the initial setup. Skip through all the steps since data will be wiped again later when we are installing Magisk. Connect the device to internet in the setup!
Enable developer options, and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out! The VaultKeeper service will unleash the bootloader after it confirms that the user has the OEM unlocking option
enabled.
Your bootloader now accepts unofficial images in download mode.

"

8. Next step will be flashing the patched image to your device. We will use 3 of the files from the original stock firmware files you downloaded except for the AP File.
But first click on Options and disable Auto Reboot! After that click on BL and choose correspondending File beginning with BL from the unziped original stock firmwarefiles you downloaded.
For the AP file we will choose the patched magisk image magisk_patched.tar we copied over from our device. For CP and CSC choose the CP and HOME_CSC files. USERDATA will not be used.

9. So now its time to flash your device. First connect the device to the PC. Without connection it will not get into download mode. Boot your device in download mode by first turning it off.
Turn it on by pressing the power button and if it turns on immediately press Vol + and Vol - after relasing the power button and hold it until you see the Download Mode Screen.

If you dont't get it try the fellowing: Turn on the device with power button. Hold Vol - and Power and wait about 7 secs until the display turn black. Imidiantly press Vol Vol + and Vol - and hold until you see the download mode
screen. Press Vol+ to activate Download Mode.

Back in Odin its now time to flash your device.
Press all finger and begin flashing by pressing "Start".
The flash process is finshed as you see the a green "Pass" in the left upper corner.

10. As of now you have to boot into recovery everytime to start your device into a rooted system. Be aware of this and avoid booting the device without pressing the key combination for the recovery. This must be
done everytime you turn it on or after every reboot of the device. If you forget this the device will boot into a non rooted system and samsungs security could make your device unusuable and you
have to flash the device again and losing all data.

So now press Vol - and Power for about 7 secs to reboot the device. Immediately press Vol + and Power. Hold it and wait until you see the stock recovery. It will
possibly show Ereasing data and reboot after that. Press again Vol + and Power and hold it until you will now see the recovery menu. Select Wipe data/factory reset with the Vol + and Vol - Buttons and confirm
with the power button.

After that reboot the device and press the recovery key combo again but now release it shortly after you see the Samsung Logo a second time. Wait until it is booted and do the initial
setup. Install Magisk Manager again.

When you start it it should show a message that it should have to do some further setups and will reboot the device.
Confirm that and wait until it reboots as you now have to press the key combo for booting
into recovery again. Release it as the Samsung Logo comes up a second time. So you see. This is a important step pressing this key combo.

11. So after the reboot your device should now be rooted. Check that by starting magisk manager.

Again this tutorial is based on the magisk documentation. So all credits go to topjohnwu.

flushb

Last edited:

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
Amazing! Thanks for this detailed info! Finally a way to Root our Tab!

Will follow your instructions, try it on mine (Hong Kong LTE) and give feedback.

Thanks again:)

Reactions: twospirits

xriscross

Oct 11, 2019
Thank you for the directions! I was able to root my SM-P200 (Korean Version). I did have to do step 7 (Unlock Bootloader) before step 6 (Patching the AP file with Magisk) for it to flash properly.

a.nasr

Oct 12, 2019
Mine stuck at "Download Mode" once flashed T_T

I followed all your steps but mine got stuck on "download mode" once flashed and restarted..How to solve it?
What option do i need to tick or untick during injecting magisk (i ticked all 3s including "recovery mode")? and during flashing with odin (i ticked only F. Reset Time)...

Can you share your "magisked" version of ap.tar?

i'm also using xme lte version of sm-p205...

a.nasr

Oct 12, 2019
Resolved

Thanks, solved the problem...All i did is extracting the .tar and recompress it using 7zip...Just ensure the compress one is in the same setup...and the 2nd screen of samsung (powered bt knoxx, same with the 1st screen,release the recovery key immediately once 2nd screen popped up) is the one after the "warning of boatloader with power symbol at the bottom" not the "samsung" only logo...Thanks people..Appreciate the post...

debatingrooster

Mar 28, 2017
This is great - thanks

Bit of a shame we have to reboot via recovery or else risk loosing all our data. Any way around this? I suppose we would need TWRP for this device to flash RMM zip. And TWRP is probably unlikely considering this is a relatively uncommon device

Edit:
In accidentally starting without going via recovery it would seem I've now got KG prenormal. Can't flash the magisk patched AP. Only stock. So that's back where I am. Anyone have any advice on how I can root now? seems now to be undoable

Last edited:

flushback666

Jul 7, 2007
This is great - thanks

Bit of a shame we have to reboot via recovery or else risk loosing all our data. Any way around this? I suppose we would need TWRP for this device to flash RMM zip. And TWRP is probably unlikely considering this is a relatively uncommon device

Edit:
In accidentally starting without going via recovery it would seem I've now got KG prenormal. Can't flash the magisk patched AP. Only stock. So that's back where I am. Anyone have any advice on how I can root now? seems now to be undoable

Hi,

do you still see the oem unlock in delevoper settings? Normaly you have to put in a sim card, turn on mobile data and wait for 7 days until you can retry rooting.

flushb

P.S: I already compiled a kernel that boots but i dont think i am able to build a working twrp recovery because i am not a developer. Samsung did finaly release the current kernel sources.

P.P.S: I have made a magisk dual speaker module if someone is in need i can upload it.

debatingrooster

Mar 28, 2017
Hi,

do you still see the oem unlock in delevoper settings? Normaly you have to put in a sim card, turn on mobile data and wait for 7 days until you can retry rooting.

flushb

P.S: I already compiled a kernel that boots but i dont think i am able to build a working twrp recovery because i am not a developer. Samsung did finaly release the current kernel sources.

P.P.S: I have made a magisk dual speaker module if someone is in need i can upload it.

Thanks for that - I think I'll just have to wait a little while. I'm using the wifi version so no sim for me. can still unlock bootloader ok, just can't flash magisk patched tar.

Well done on the kernel, hopefully TWRP appears for this device, it's a great little tablet.

I tried to have a go building TWRP using this guide (https://github.com/TwrpBuilder/twrpbuilder_tree_generator/wiki). But had some errors in compiling, though I'm not a developer so I'm not too sure about solving them. But when I've got time and motivation I'd love to learn more about development!

Twroy

Nov 21, 2019
Halp

Mine got failed and its stuck on recovery.img Pls some help me via team viewer :((

Naruiki

Oct 14, 2018
So here are my experiences with rooting the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) with S Pen (SM-P205)

First of all i am not responsible for any damages or data loss of your devices. So be aware that you could brick your device!

I tested this on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with SPEN LTE SM-205. The procedure should be the same for the SM-P200 as this procedure is a general Samsug procedure for 2019 Devices.

Before you begin make a backup of your internal storage as it gets deleted several times during this procedure!!!!
Therefore it could be handy to also use a sdcard(wont get deleted) for copying files to/from the device.
But it can also be done without. This howto is based on the magisk manual from topjohnwu.
https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html (Samsung System-as-root Section)

Tools needed:
Firmware of your device

At the time writing this is P205DXU2ASH2 for my Samsung Galaxy Tab A with SPen LTE (SM-P205)

2. Find out what firmware your device is using and also what's is the region / CSC of your device.

Baseband version:
e.g. P205DXU2ASH2
Next Step scroll down to "Service providewr SW ver." and look at your CSC in the last line:

3. Now its time to download the correspondending firnmware for your device. Use SamFirm Tool to download your firmware (Check "Auto". Type in your Model (SM-P205 and your CSC) and download or download it
(eg. SamMobile.com etc)

5. You will now have 5 Files beginning with their names: AP,BL,CP,CSC and HOME_CSC

6. Download and install the current magisk manager to our device. Also copy the AP File to your devices internal memory or sdcard. Best method for copying is using adb.
Start magisk and click on install. Press a second time install and choose "Select and Patch a File" Choose your copied AP file. Magisk will now patch the image and inject itself.
The patched file can now be found in your Download directory of your internal memory. Its name is magisk_patched.tar. Copy it over to your PC. Again best method is using adb for copying.

7. Bootloader Unlocking:

8. Next step will be flashing the patched image to your device. We will use 3 of the files from the original stock firmware files you downloaded except for the AP File.
But first click on Options and disable Auto Reboot! After that click on BL and choose correspondending File beginning with BL from the unziped original stock firmwarefiles you downloaded.
For the AP file we will choose the patched magisk image magisk_patched.tar we copied over from our device. For CP and CSC choose the CP and HOME_CSC files. USERDATA will not be used.

9. So now its time to flash your device. First connect the device to the PC. Without connection it will not get into download mode. Boot your device in download mode by first turning it off.
Turn it on by pressing the power button and if it turns on immediately press Vol + and Vol - after relasing the power button and hold it until you see the Download Mode Screen.

If you dont't get it try the fellowing: Turn on the device with power button. Hold Vol - and Power and wait about 7 secs until the display turn black. Imidiantly press Vol Vol + and Vol - and hold until you see the download mode

The flash process is finshed as you see the a green "Pass" in the left upper corner.

10. As of now you have to boot into recovery everytime to start your device into a rooted system. Be aware of this and avoid booting the device without pressing the key combination for the recovery. This must be
done everytime you turn it on or after every reboot of the device. If you forget this the device will boot into a non rooted system and samsungs security could make your device unusuable and you

So now press Vol - and Power for about 7 secs to reboot the device. Immediately press Vol + and Power. Hold it and wait until you see the stock recovery. It will
possibly show Ereasing data and reboot after that. Press again Vol + and Power and hold it until you will now see the recovery menu. Select Wipe data/factory reset with the Vol + and Vol - Buttons and confirm
with the power button.

After that reboot the device and press the recovery key combo again but now release it shortly after you see the Samsung Logo a second time. Wait until it is booted and do the initial

When you start it it should show a message that it should have to do some further setups and will reboot the device.
Confirm that and wait until it reboots as you now have to press the key combo for booting
into recovery again. Release it as the Samsung Logo comes up a second time. So you see. This is a important step pressing this key combo.

11. So after the reboot your device should now be rooted. Check that by starting magisk manager.

Again this tutorial is based on the magisk documentation. So all credits go to topjohnwu.

flushb

i got it to root thanks , but i try to uninstall app system and will got bootloop what's wrong ???

EagerestWolf

Aug 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
i got it to root thanks , but i try to uninstall app system and will got bootloop what's wrong ???

The reason you get a bootloop is because even though the bootloader is unlocked and you've rooted the tablet, all of Samsung's security stuff is still enabled, so when you go tampering with the /system partition, it triggers the security and ultimately results in a bootloop. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to disable Samsung's security measures without a custom recovery, and even then you have to flash a NoKnox script to disable Knox, a multi-disabler to disable all of the other stuff, and then a custom kernel to completely wipe all of it out. Root is a good first step, but we are far from finished with this device. I'm currently working on TWRP, but from there who knows?

Naruiki

Oct 14, 2018
The reason you get a bootloop is because even though the bootloader is unlocked and you've rooted the tablet, all of Samsung's security stuff is still enabled, so when you go tampering with the /system partition, it triggers the security and ultimately results in a bootloop. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to disable Samsung's security measures without a custom recovery, and even then you have to flash a NoKnox script to disable Knox, a multi-disabler to disable all of the other stuff, and then a custom kernel to completely wipe all of it out. Root is a good first step, but we are far from finished with this device. I'm currently working on TWRP, but from there who knows?
Thanks for The response
Btw, Yesterday I made a mistake when I rebooted my device and then bootloop, then I tried to fiddle with it myself without using a computer, and I was successful fix bootloop without a computer but all data is lost as new ,but with the circumstances rooting

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Info: can't install xposed ,
i already try and get bootloop

Naruiki

Oct 14, 2018
Magisk update

Tools needed:
Firmware of your device

Baseband version:
e.g. P205DXU2ASH2

(eg. SamMobile.com etc)

7. Bootloader Unlocking:

with the power button.

flushb

Magisk requires renewal, is it okay if it's updated ??
Does bootloop not occur ??

Tralien

Oct 13, 2015
I am looking forward for a twrp and a Lineage for this tablet so hard...you cant imagine....

Pls keep on trying

Thx for the root manual

Fire888

Jan 28, 2009
hi,
thx for the comprehensive instruction.
I have successfully rooting my sm-p205

I have 2 questions if u pls help me :
1. I want root my sm-p205 because I want to use tincore keymapper. but although now I have successfully rooted it, it seems that I have to set the selinux to permissive.
I have tried all I've found, from using selinuxmodechanger, selinuxswitch, or even using terminal with su 0 setenforce 0, and all not working. that selinux still enforcing.
can u pls help me how to change the selinux ?

2. if I couldnt change the selinux, than it's no use for me to still on root. Is there anyway to go back to original stock firmware and unroot ? because I read on the last instruction of magisk that I may not flash it again with usual ap file that it may make it brick ?

thx

maciverj

May 27, 2018
Any update on a lineage build for this? I would love to have adaptive storage work on this tablet - the adb shell version fails for me corrupting the sd.

Reactions: ALEX_ANDER

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Tools needed:
    Firmware of your device

Baseband version:
    e.g. P205DXU2ASH2

(eg. SamMobile.com etc)

7. Bootloader Unlocking:

"

Unlocking Bootloader

Normally I wouldn’t provide instructions for this, but since things had changed drastically from previous Samsung devices, and there are some caveats, I figure this would be helpful.

Allow bootloader unlocking in Developer options → OEM unlocking
    Reboot your device to download mode. Either use adb reboot download, or use the key combo for your device.

"

"
    Long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot.

Just when you think the bootloader is unlocked, it is actually not! Samsung introduced VaultKeeper, meaning the bootloader will reject any unofficial partitions before VaultKeeper explicitly allows it.

Go through the initial setup. Skip through all the steps since data will be wiped again later when we are installing Magisk. Connect the device to internet in the setup!
    Enable developer options, and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out! The VaultKeeper service will unleash the bootloader after it confirms that the user has the OEM unlocking option
    enabled.
    Your bootloader now accepts unofficial images in download mode.

"

with the power button.

flushb

This is great - thanks

Edit:

Hi,

flushb

Amazing! Thanks for this detailed info! Finally a way to Root our Tab!

Will follow your instructions, try it on mine (Hong Kong LTE) and give feedback.

Thanks again:)
    Any update on a lineage build for this? I would love to have adaptive storage work on this tablet - the adb shell version fails for me corrupting the sd.