• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Samsung Galaxy Tab A w/ S-Pen (SM-P205) CSC=TGY, want to change to XTC to get Android 11

Search This thread

davidc9

Apr 13, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Hello, I have a SM-P205, international version, un-rooted, CSC: TGY (International/Hong Kong).
(Full software specs at bottom of post)

All the other CSCs for the SM-P205 have updates to Android 11, and for over a year now the TGY CSC has been stuck on Android 9.

I've tried using Samkey to change the CSC and various dialler codes - none of these methods have worked. Someone else said that for either of these methods to work I would have to be running a multi-CSC firmware, which I am apparently not.

Can I just download the firmware for my desired CSC (XTC) and flash via Odin? I'm happy to do this, but someone else on a different forum post said it wouldn't work as the CSC is 'baked' into the device and can't be changed without root. I don't want to root the device.

Thank you in advance.

FW Information
------------------

One UI Version:
Android Version:
Service Provider SW Ver:
SAOMC_SM-P205_TGY_TGY_PP_0019
R52M50L7JCE
TGY/TGY/TGY

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
You really want scoped storage and forced encryption with 3G's of ram?
You will take a performance hit and loss of app functionality.

Android 9 is a solid OS. I have 2 N10+'s, one running on 9, one on 10. Neither will ever be upgraded to 11. They run about the same except in the 10 variant Karma Firewall's logging feature no longer works. Scoped storage appears inactive; all older 3rd party apps load and run ok otherwise including free WPS office.
SD card access is not restricted.

My Android 9 variant was last updated 2 years ago and it's current load is over 1.5 years old, still fast and stable with minimum maintenance. No major issues or glitches. The highest I recommend going is Android 10, you may get some tangible gains mostly because of One IU 2.5 however at the cost of some 3rd party app functionality.
This loss of functionality will make troubleshooting harder. I was able to configure the Android 10 device with knowledge learned from the Android 9 variant, otherwise it would've been much more difficult.
At the very least you will need to find a bunch of new workarounds if you load 11.
In my opinion 11 and 12 are a mess...

davidc9

Apr 13, 2013
You really want scoped storage and forced encryption with 3G's of ram?
You will take a performance hit and loss of app functionality.

Android 9 is a solid OS. I have 2 N10+'s, one running on 9, one on 10. Neither will ever be upgraded to 11. They run about the same except in the 10 variant Karma Firewall's logging feature no longer works. Scoped storage appears inactive; all older 3rd party apps load and run ok otherwise including free WPS office.
SD card access is not restricted.

My Android 9 variant was last updated 2 years ago and it's current load is over 1.5 years old, still fast and stable with minimum maintenance. No major issues or glitches. The highest I recommend going is Android 10, you may get some tangible gains mostly because of One IU 2.5 however at the cost of some 3rd party app functionality.
This loss of functionality will make troubleshooting harder. I was able to configure the Android 10 device with knowledge learned from the Android 9 variant, otherwise it would've been much more difficult.
At the very least you will need to find a bunch of new workarounds if you load 11.
In my opinion 11 and 12 are a mess...

I don't like the version of OneUI that comes with Android 9. It's showing its age and is clunky. That's my motivation for upgrading.

Even Android 10 is not accessible to me on the TGY code. Regardless, this question is more about changing to a firmware version with a CSC that does not match my current CSC.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I don't like the version of OneUI that comes with Android 9. It's showing its age and is clunky. That's my motivation for upgrading.

Even Android 10 is not accessible to me on the TGY code. Regardless, this question is more about changing to a firmware version with a CSC that does not match my current CSC.
I'm using my older N10+ and there's really not a huge difference* or improvement between the two variants. They both run well.
Going to 11 would degrade my devices performance, functionality and usability with no tangible improvements.

Minimum ram requirement for 11 is 2gb of ram... it doesn't look good choice for you based on that alone.
The best advice I can give you is if your OS is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission, let it be.
If needed you can always upgrade it latter.
Pie has a few vulnerabilities but nothing a factory reset won't cure. I never have had to do a factory reset on my Pie variant due to malware... and it goes to some nasty places.

*in the Android 10 variant Samsung added dozens of small system apks to make it usable and preserve the UI. There are over 100 more packages on the base load of the 10 vs 9 variant.
They don't impact the performance that I can detect. Ram usage is about the same as well.
With 11 even Samsung can't mode it's way completely around that mess...

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Hello, I have a SM-P205, international version, un-rooted, CSC: TGY (International/Hong Kong).
(Full software specs at bottom of post)

All the other CSCs for the SM-P205 have updates to Android 11, and for over a year now the TGY CSC has been stuck on Android 9.

I've tried using Samkey to change the CSC and various dialler codes - none of these methods have worked. Someone else said that for either of these methods to work I would have to be running a multi-CSC firmware, which I am apparently not.

Can I just download the firmware for my desired CSC (XTC) and flash via Odin? I'm happy to do this, but someone else on a different forum post said it wouldn't work as the CSC is 'baked' into the device and can't be changed without root. I don't want to root the device.

Thank you in advance.

FW Information
------------------

One UI Version:
Android Version:
Service Provider SW Ver:
SAOMC_SM-P205_TGY_TGY_PP_0019
R52M50L7JCE
TGY/TGY/TGY
I don't have a P205 but I've owned several other Samsung Tab As and have never had a problem installing ROMs with a different CSC. I'm in the US and the XAR always seems to be the last to be upgraded. When the latest isn't available for XAR, I just download and flash the BTU version. Being a phone, I would think the CP is what might cause a problem, so just don't flash the CP.

davidc9

Apr 13, 2013
For anyone else that stumbles across this thread, here is what worked for me to Upgrade from A9 to A11, and would likely work for other people with different devices but a similar issue. No root required!
  1. Install Odin v3.13
  2. Install Frija v1.4.4
  3. Use Frija to select the desired firmware (you can pick any CSC you want) and download it.
  4. Enable Developer Options on your Samsung device.
  5. Enable USB Debugging on your Samsung device.
  6. Make a backup of everything important if you can.
  7. Power-off the device.
  8. Put the device in Download mode by powering it on and then holding the Download mode key combination (for my tablet it was Volume Up + Volume Down)
  9. Acknowledge the Download mode warning.
  10. Insert the USB cable.
  11. Launch Odin in Administrator mode.
  12. Extract the firmware .zip downloaded using Frija.
  13. Click each of the BL, AP, CP, CSC buttons in Odin and using the file dialog box select the matching files from the extracted firmware. You can supposedly use the HOME_CSC file instead of the CSC file to keep your user data, but I selected CSC as I wanted a clean start.
  14. Hit Start, the process should take 4-ish minutes if it runs correctly and should auto-reboot your device.
All in all, this was suprisingly easy. I thought the device would make a fuss about installing firmware with a different CSC code, but everything is working fine.

A final warning - I found I had to select the Thailand firmware for my Hong Kong device, as the Phillipines firmware I tried initially gave a 'Kernel Rev Check fail' error and the system wouldn't boot. Perhaps there is a slight variation in the hardware between these regions that makes the firmware incompatible.