Samsung Gear S power consumption

AlexFungVFX

Oct 8, 2020
Hi, I'm new to xda. This place has been fantastic and I'm really enjoying Android on my Gear S.
I've had the watch now for a few months and it gets through the day fine. Some interesting thing I noticed the other day was I left the watch on my desk from 8am till 8pm and only 50% of the battery was used. Usually the battery runs out after 12-13 hours. I'm wondering what it could be that's using up more power just by being on my wrist throughout the day? I have locations switched off but perhaps the pedometer or something making the watch work harder? Maybe something could be disabled so that only 50% of the battery is used in 12 hours?

Also, I've been toying with the idea of putting a higher mah battery in the watch. Has anyone attempted this?

Again, really enjoying this forum. It's been really fun tinkering away with my Gear S.
Thanks!
133447422_2839713219593166_5565019120915894222_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Radem

Radem

Jan 29, 2010
I wonder what the start screen is because it looks nice, black background and cool icons. As for the battery, you can't help it, these watches were adapted to a system other than android

ycats

Feb 27, 2007
Nolensville, Tennessee
I've had my Gear S for six years.........every now and then the watch would have severe battery drain..............not sure what causes it, usually I power off-and-on a couple of times and it goes away. I did get a message in December that the watch would not work with 2021 Samsung phones. I'm planning to get the S21 Ultra soon so I went ahead and got the Active 2 from Swappa.com. I wanted a watch with a speaker and newer...........really pleased. I do miss the shape/size of the Gear S.

AlexFungVFX

Oct 8, 2020
I wonder what the start screen is because it looks nice, black background and cool icons. As for the battery, you can't help it, these watches were adapted to a system other than android
I'm using BIG Launcher with the BL holo theme along with Android. I find it makes texting much easier than the stock android text messanger.

AlexFungVFX

Oct 8, 2020
I've had my Gear S for six years.........every now and then the watch would have severe battery drain..............not sure what causes it, usually I power off-and-on a couple of times and it goes away. I did get a message in December that the watch would not work with 2021 Samsung phones. I'm planning to get the S21 Ultra soon so I went ahead and got the Active 2 from Swappa.com. I wanted a watch with a speaker and newer...........really pleased. I do miss the shape/size of the Gear S.
It's the shape and size that drew me to the Sm-r750. I really enjoy wearing it and the user experience with Android. My only beef is the battery life!