Samsung Integration for Substratum (Nougat) Support Thread

Search This thread

dcelrod2011

Dec 7, 2017
Dalton
Some of the themes, overlays or expansion packs
I download for substaratom on my s8+ running nougat dont show up in the drawer in the substratom app such as AIO theme expander. It says successfully downloaded and it showed in the list the first time I downloaded it, but had to delete because it caused a problem when rebooting and now it wont show up so i can use it. Its not adding anything to any of the themes I have downloaded either. Theres a couple other apps I have downloaded that wont show up either. Am I doing something that I didnt do the first time?

Reactions: Ofelipe

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Some of the themes, overlays or expansion packs
I download for substaratom on my s8+ running nougat dont show up in the drawer in the substratom app such as AIO theme expander. It says successfully downloaded and it showed in the list the first time I downloaded it, but had to delete because it caused a problem when rebooting and now it wont show up so i can use it. Its not adding anything to any of the themes I have downloaded either. Theres a couple other apps I have downloaded that wont show up either. Am I doing something that I didnt do the first time?
Sounds like you didn't download Themes that are compatible with Stock Unrooted Samsung... Read the Play Store Description and make sure that it says that it's compatible with Samsung Firmware ?

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

HighOnLinux

Oct 24, 2015
OnePlus 6
Read through a couple of pages and only one person had a problem similar to mine:
So i guess substratum updated and i finally wanted to retheme my whole S8 with swift black, turns out, it was the legacy app but fairly enough before the update, it wasnt considered "legacy". Anyways, so the first sign of something odd was the app running extremely slow and laggy. I just shrugged it off and just continued to toggle the theme to install certain things, specifically for user apps, nada system. So after everything was built and overlayed, it said there were no problems and to reboot my phone, so i did as instructed. So after when my phone rebooted, it's pure black. No lock screen, no anything, only the AOD. When i tried to see a way to get through that, which was emergency mode and to agree to it, it kept on saying "system UI keeps crashing". :/ so i was forced to factory reset via recovery. Any way to fix it with everything updated?

Danhack000

Jan 27, 2015
I used to have plenty of Substratum overlays and themes, but now they don't longer show up in the overlays or themes category. Substratum app has been updated and last update changed everything completely. Any ideas of what just happened? I'm able to use only 4 themes, of which I don't really like.

bigdog1459

Jul 5, 2008
Berea, OH
OnePlus 9 Pro
I used to have plenty of Substratum overlays and themes, but now they don't longer show up in the overlays or themes category. Substratum app has been updated and last update changed everything completely. Any ideas of what just happened? I'm able to use only 4 themes, of which I don't really like.
I have noticed this as well. Awhile back it was notated that non Samsung compliant themes will not show up on Samsung devices. For example I used to be able to use navigate to change the nav buttons. Now since it doesn't support Samsung I can't use the theme. If I can find where that was notated I will update my reply.

Edit: looks like it was actually talked about a few posts back.

Timar

Mar 10, 2010
Hello. I have a problem with Substratum:
I use a Samsung galaxy s8 nonrooted.
Every time i install a black theme, my WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger will not work : keep crashing, restarting. I DO NOT use the overlay on the two apps.

Every time i install a black theme, my WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger will not work : keep crashing, restarting. I DO NOT use the overlay on the two apps.
Go to overlay list and confirm that nothing is installed for those 2 apps.
Then in the app settings for both apps clear cache and see if that helps

Reactions: Timar

HighOnLinux

Oct 24, 2015
OnePlus 6
Yeah i talked about that in my post, still no solution yet
Edit: for you there was, but system-wise, no.

magicstick5

Dec 31, 2014
Anyone having issues with Google search box crashing?
On latest version of substratum and latest swift dark theme. I can access the search box but after searching the app crashes

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Anyone having issues with Google search box crashing?
On latest version of substratum and latest swift dark theme. I can access the search box but after searching the app crashes
No issues with Google Search / Assistant crashing on my Galaxy S8+ using Substratum / SungStratum and Swift Minimal ?

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

madvinegar

May 17, 2016
Piraeus
A couple of questions guys.
I have an s7 edge stock, non-rooted. I install both the sustratum app as well as the substratum samsung addon.

1) Are there any substratum themes dedicated to s7 edge? (I am mostly after black themes). When I install a theme, in the list of available samsung devices I only see for s8.
2) Do I have to install each layer separately? And then uninstall each layer separately? Is there any way to install/uninstall all selected layers/apps at once? I press compile, it compiles all apps, and then I have to install each apk separately. And then to uninstall them, I have to go to system > apps and find them one by one and uninstall them. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Char_G

Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2013
Missouri
A couple of questions guys.
I have an s7 edge stock, non-rooted. I install both the sustratum app as well as the substratum samsung addon.

1) Are there any substratum themes dedicated to s7 edge? (I am mostly after black themes). When I install a theme, in the list of available samsung devices I only see for s8.
2) Do I have to install each layer separately? And then uninstall each layer separately? Is there any way to install/uninstall all selected layers/apps at once? I press compile, it compiles all apps, and then I have to install each apk separately. And then to uninstall them, I have to go to system > apps and find them one by one and uninstall them. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Go to the Manager in Substratum to uninstall overlays and yes, they must be installed and uninstalled separately

msoldano27

May 20, 2017
Ok so a bit of a problem I could use some help with. I had substratum installed and running and I attempted to do a software update. I realized after doing it I did something wrong when my phone restarted it came up with "system ui has stopped" the only option I had is to hold down the power button the up volume button and the Bixby button and get into setup mode. From there I did a factory wipe and rebooted the phone. After this it restarted like normal and I had to resetup my phone from scratch. I did however use a previous setup used that day to restore. Ok so after that everything was good until my battery went dead and I had to charge it up and when it started again I got the same thing. Now I know substratum wasn't running this time because it wasn't even installed. So I used the same process to wipe reboot and this time I didn't use a previous restore. However I did notice that in my list of apps I had quite a few of the overlays still I stalled for some reason. Com.android.....those ones. I ha e since deleted them but now I'm not sure if I dare turn my phone off again or restart for fear of this happening again. Any suggestions? Maybe try the software update again now that the overlays are for sure gone? Sorry so long I wanted to be sure I got the whole story.

Reactions: BoOsT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    0piImTB.png

List of available themes ready for Samsung thanks to @pimpmaneaton: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/collection-substratum-themes-compatible-t3635673

ATTENTION: You can still run Substratum Legacy (shows in the toolbar) without the addon, but it may not work with Samsung devices, so you must get the addon app!

How to apply Substratum themes
    1. First, you will need to install the apps listed above
    2. Download a theme that doesn't rely on Android System or theme ready Google Apps...so find themes like Swift Black or Swift Dark on Play Store.
    3. Once you install the theme, Substratum will throw a notification saying that a new theme has been installed
    4. Open the theme in Substratum and click on the app (one at a time for now only) and click the button on the bottom right.
    5. Click Install and let it compile. It will ask to install an APK to your device. Install it.
    6. You can switch to that application and see if it is themed. If it isn't, manually force close the app in Settings or reboot your device.
    7. (ATTENTION) It is HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended NOT to apply Android System and SystemUI elements as of yet UNLESS your theme supports it and shows "dangerous overlays" by default. For themers, all you have to do is set @bool/ThemeSupportSamsung to true.

Current Bugs
    - none

How to recover?
    You will have to boot up in Safe Mode (comes default on every device)
    1. Reboot your device
    2. Hold down the Volume Down key while booting up
    3. You are now in Safe Mode
    4. Go into Settings -> Apps, then find the overlay you think is messing up and uninstall!

How to recover if the above doesn't work? (Credits to Evozi)
    You will have to boot up in Safe Mode (comes default on every device)
    1. Turn on screen and press power button. It will show "Shutdown", "Restart", "Emergency Mode"
    2. Turn on "Emergency Mode", keep spam the checkbox so you can tick the checkbox to proceed the agreement. (phone is super lagging)
    3. While you are in emergency mode, you have very limited access. Open any system app and go to recent task list.
    4. Long press the app task, press the info icon and app detail page will appear.
    5. Hit the back button and it will show your whole app list.
    6. Find your overlay and remove all its storage and phone permissions.
    7. Deactivate Emergency Mode and now you are back to TouchWiz.
    8. Uninstall the overlay app.

Instructional video, thanks @DaKoin!
    S8 users, Swift for Samsung will be free starting around 2am until Monday. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brit.swift.samsung
    You have to join their Telegram group. Then click on the 3 dots in the upper right and hit Files. Kind of a shady way to hand out an apk, but I'm not one to talk.

Our full operation runs through Telegram but soon it will be on Play Store too.

The reasoning behind this is because we have build bots to automatically compile an updated APK and send it to the chat when I push a commit, also a nice way to directly contact the devs (me).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using XDA Labs
    We have just pushed Substratum 816!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73382210&postcount=12

To emphasize more on Samsung tweaks, as @OhayouBaka stated, there's now a priority selection in Substratum's settings, so previously automatically reverted overlays on Samsung devices (other than Google) will now be able to stick (hopefully!)

Also, Substratum now works perfectly on ENG U1 unlocked firmware with root, which means that you guys ACTUALLY have a rooted options now for Samsung so that it installs overlays silently! Thanks @OhayouBaka and @InFlames03 for testing root functionality and @elliwigy for ENG firmware tests!

Samsung Addon Users (v20 release):

We have added the ThemeKiller into as part of the package, please use the "What is this?" button if you don't understand how to enter your own ELM key :)

A HUGE thanks to @Tigerhoods, @elliwigy, @bigmase, @Venom0642, @markbencze, @ted77usa, @zplit, @OhayouBaka and @InFlames03 for all their support and testing during this beta phase!
    Request granted by nicholaschum. Thanks bruh ?

UPDATE :
    Fresh update of Substratum apk.

links down below. June-24

MEGA:

https://mega.nz/#!s5wnHaTR!ZrQVdQzvQd1N52XpCDBiAis_p0XFWlcJUHHSqOwgln0

Google Drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwxe_U6-ifS3YVJ4SncxMjhRTm8/view?usp=drivesdk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone