Samsung is working on Gingerbread update for T959

Search This thread

thachosenone

Dec 20, 2010
The vibrant is considered discontinued to T-Mobile, as well as third party retailers like wirefly. Why would they release an update for something they considered discontinued? And with the gs4g, there's no reason to update the vibrant. Just go flash an i9000 port.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

azngoose

Mar 4, 2011
haha i kinda had to laugh when i read the topic title. . . tmo/samsung promised froyo for a long time and it didn't happen until about 6 months or so ago. . . . .and as the previous post stated, the vibrant is considered discontinued. . . .it's not bound to happen anytime soon.

jedijos

May 2, 2011
Valencia
A small chat I had with a T-Mobile rep over twitter:

GalaxySsupport Galaxy S Support
Hey #Fascinate customers: #Gingerbread is now available OTA! Pull instructions & release notes here: http://smsn.us/6017RYCH #SamsungTips

jedijos Jose Bolaños
@ @GalaxySsupport @TMobile good for them! Where's ours? #vibrant

@TMobileHelp
T-Mobile USA @jedijos We are always working on updating our phones, hang in there for future announcements! ^KN

jedijos Jose Bolaños
@ @TMobileHelp so that means you're working on a GB update for the #vibrant?

TMobileHelp T-Mobile USA
@ @jedijos The manufacturer likely is. TBD, but here's a link to the most recent update for that vibrant: http://cot.ag/vlSD7N ^CG

jedijos Jose Bolaños
@ @TMobileHelp is samsung working on it? Because every time i've asked they wouldn't give a straight answer!

TMobileHelp T-Mobile USA
@ @jedijos That's always how it is with updates. They don't want to promise a date before everything is 100% in working order. Stay tuned. ^CG

jedijos Jose Bolaños
@ @TMobileHelp I'm sure almost all #vibrant users just want to know if a GB update will be released, even if there's not a confirmed date.

@ @jedijos I'm sure you're right about that. We'll announce the info as soon as we have it, stay tuned. ^CG

That was actually the first answer i've got from them regarding this matter...

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
That's not an answer. That's just them giving you the run around.

And we can see why they do it.

They're good at it, and it works well...

nomadrider123

Feb 11, 2010
MN
If that keeps you happy then it worked for them. Samsung would rather tempt you with new phones that are faster bigger better etc then put money into software for a old phone that they don't sell any more.

suarez90

Jan 19, 2011
I've waiting this update since last summer I gave up waiting for it :-(

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S

azngoose

Mar 4, 2011
Just upgrade to ICS guys.....haha Passion is awesome and it seems very stable, even for a "beta."

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Jesus H. Christ on a cracker.. quit your *****ing. It's FROYO all over again. PLain and simple.. IF the Vibrant gets either GB, or ICS, it will be THE last phone in the upgrade to get it.. and that's a HUGE IF. WHY, if you are a manufacturer, or carrier, would you update a phone that is as old as the vibrant? Now, before you all get too menstrual, THINK about it... First was the vibrant, then the 4G, NOW theres the s2. We are THREE phones behind in the product line.. THREE! Now. WHY would TMo, Or Sammy for that matter, update an "old" phone like ours? Go buy a new one that has it!.. Thats what they want, OR... you can install a ROM.. They work MUCH better!

Lastly, You can quit b!tch!ng and be PATIENT.. Alien concept huh?

You sir are dead wrong. I'm not on contract so this doesn't apply to me. But use your head for a minute. There are people stuck in a 2 year contract on a no longer supported device which was bought brand new. That is unacceptable now being 2 MAJOR firmware versions behind. Your way of thinking screws over all of us by telling carriers that we are ok with paying $500+ dollars for a software update. Our device is more than capable of running said firmwares and we deserve as good of an android experiance as new and resigning customers. It shouldn't be we pay a bill and should just be happy we can get a call out. Another case of big business penny pinching versus unparalleled service.

Sent from my T959 using xda premium
    My brothers girlfriends uncles fairy godmother works at the coffee shop across the street from the post office down the road from liquor store up the alley from Tmobile and she heard Gingerbread tastes yummy.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App
    I got a idea....lets all kill ourselves since we dont have gingerbread then we will really send samsung a message

Show us how to do it, dear leader!
    OK Enough Enough Speculating!!

Look, We all know it always takes alot of time for another OEM OS SW upgrade to come, But Recently, I hard bricked my phone, and they sent me another phone to replace it, However I did have to send in the old one.

REASON Is because they want to see if I modded or did something to it! So they could void the warranty and avoid having to absorb the cost of this replacement phone, even though its Technically a charge-back to Samsung!

Fortunately for me, I had just restored everything back to stock JFD, I also always ran the phone OC'd to 1.2Ghz, maybe why the CPU gave out- Who Knows??? And While I was getting ready to go to my newest favorite ROM, the CPU died, and it was bricked HARD!! So I had to take the FFC outa of it, and repaint the little hole I had done for that Mod, and swap out my FFC for the OEM one that came with my replacement, then reassemble it, back to OEM, all before I sent it in!!

Well, In the beginning of this ordeal, the Customer service rep= TMO Was very belligerent that something must have been done to the phone to cause it to burn out/fail, he claims these phones are indestructible, Except for water and impact damage!! And If all the forensic test's determine that it was a simple HW failure, then there wont be a $399.00 charge back to me for replacing the phone!! Even though technically I did breach the warranty requirements, BY Modding it! But everybody here on this forum is guilty of this, otherwise, I wouldn't even be writing this thread= LOL

Anyway, to my point!! When I complained to Management that I now don't trust TMO because of this rep's attitude and the possibility of taking a $399.00 enema, and that when the results are in, I want a call back by the technician who actually inspected it for a reason and explanation of what went wrong! He agreed to that!!
    So I get the call, from the TECH dude, and BTW these calls aren't recorded!!
    OK here's what news I found out, other than about my phones condition!!
    Which allowed this guy to be very candid, first of all, everything I did saved my ass, before I sent it back to him, he couldn't detect any modding or SW issues= Phewww!!
    Told me it was a CPU failure and everything is good on my end!! Relieved on my end, We went into a discussion, about if they are ever gonna make an Official OEM ROM for the Vibrant as a Gingerbread pure OS???
    His reply was: " Its been decided by upper management awhile back, that because they were absorbing the cost of too many replacements, due to modifications, = HARD-BRICKED!! that COULDN'T be proved on the owners end, that it was cheaper in the long run to develop the new ROM of a Pure Gingerbread for the Vibrant's, because they felt it would reduce the amount of Modding from alot of Vibrant owners, and hopefully reduce the overall number of replacements!! " AND HE SAID ITS SUPPOSED TO BE OUT BY NO LATER THAN OCTOBER!! He also stated that, a study was done, and that most customers like the T-959 so much, and that the S-2's are so similar, that sales of the new Galaxy S2's aren't coming thru as projected!! He also said that, TMO Management has pressured Samsung to manufacturer all new Galaxy's and alot of new phones in the near future to be implemented with a chip that produces a locking code, that is only accessible by TMO outlet Reps, using a random algorithm method, to keep the owners phones from being, SW and HW unlocked, essentially prohibiting them from being modded, so as again to reduce the number of warranty exchanges they were absorbing and bleeding TMO.
    Essentially, they just took the first step to keeping us out of our phones, by use of special chips , that need proprietary SW interface to get past Check Point Charlie, and keeping us from sampling any other flavor, except the one THEY WANT US TO HAVE!!
    So first of all I realize this Guy's stating, that TMO's bleeding out financially, because the Doomed ATT acquisition!! That they have gone into a hard nosed mode to implement cost reduction, in order to stay afloat, otherwise, they are doomed a slow painful financial death!
    And now its become crystal clear that any positive aspects of what they do, {meaning a GB Rom 4 Vibrants} is only in financial preservation, instead of repeat customer satisfaction!
    But to hear that, they are taking the Modding we do seriously enough, to take steps in having the manufacture design and build UN-crackable phones, to keep us out of them, and only run them in Governed modes, with no other options except what THEY OFFER, or maybe have to pay for$$ = Mortifying me in any future purchases of new said phones!! That is If what this Guy told me is 100% true and accurate!!
    If that's the case Ill be keeping my trusty old Vibrant around for a very long time, and should stock up on replacement MB's, USB interfaces, and so on ETC!!
    So the good news is that the Vibrant is really actually getting a true GB ROM, coming soon, But they'll never cook it as good as the Developers here do!!
    This community wouldn't exist here if we all wanted just Vanilla!!
    On the other hand , If they get Samsung's co-operation in implementing, these chips that produce a Cryptic Random Algorithm code for UN-locking/Rooting, then either were set back awhile, or someone will get the SW leak and it'll be here before TMO even realizes they've been compromised!
    Any of these TMO management Knuckle heads, must surely realize that it'll only be effective to people, who aren't motivated enough, to come here and take initiative to improve their phones!! :rolleyes:
    I don't MOD my phones. But thanks for the suggestion. I have more important things to do than play around with that stuff. I shouldn't have to hack a diff FS onto my phone for it to exibit acceptable performance.
    No. You shouldn't. But you also don't need to post your whining here, yet bam - here you are. Trolling harder than a Thai ladyboy on a friday night.
    Who are you to tell me what place is what, BTW?
    "xda-DEVELOPERS.com"
    This is the general forum.
    on a development board.
    Development is exists for people who want to patronize others for not modding their phones. I don't post in Development forums,
    Every day you post here, you do, in fact, post on development forums. The XDA development forums. Your confusion here explains quite a bit.
    and this forum is an invaluable asset to people like me who like to see real world reviews of devices form people who use it like normal people (in many cases) and to keep on track of release dates and FW updates that may be coming up (and what enhancements may be in them).
    So why do you instead spend all of your time *****ing, moaning, and trolling?
    Just typing fast on the keyboard causes this phone to stall 75% of the time, especially right after opening an app.
    Then root it.
    You wanna whine about the stock phone, then go whine to Samsung or on the TMO forums.
    But whining HERE about a STOCK issue is like whining to your mechanic about your car having too small of an engine. You're barking up the wrong damn tree.

Get over yourself.