Samsung Pay and Magisk

Search This thread

grymkmb

Apr 11, 2013
Is your Knox tripped? Samsung Pay might check that independently of the root-status of your phone.

sevenday4

May 3, 2012
I've got the same issue with galaxy tab 3

I got warranty bit warning was showing on the boot screen, so I'm pretty sure I triggered Knox. The reason I was using magisk was to prevent this issue, but I guess Google figured out how to detect its presence. I downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware, which will cause Knox to reset but it also factory resets the tablet. I will still use magisk on my new s8+ phone. I hope magisk will work more effectively to where I can use exposed and its modules. After jellybean, magisk wasn't able to allow exposed to be used because of the way Android sets up its environment to execute apps. Hopefully soon a work around will be accomplished especially since Oreo is coming to my two devices by the end of the year, I guess if not sooner. :D

alexbelgium

Jan 26, 2015
Has anyone gotten Samsung Pay to work with Magisk? I've got it installed as a gear plugin and safetynet passes. However, somehow Samsung Pay still detects root, even though it's hidden in magisk hide.

I tried the same thing but couldn't make it work. I think it is due to the fact that the "System Status" is custom (or modified) since magisk modifies the "boot" partition, and that you probably installed a custom recovery to install magisk. That's why OTA also don't work without first flashing back the original boot and recovery images. I don't have an LG to verify that the "System Status" appears on those.

If it does, what could be tried is to install xposed and a module that fakes the system status (if you've got marshmallow or before)

I got warranty bit warning was showing on the boot screen, so I'm pretty sure I triggered Knox. The reason I was using magisk was to prevent this issue, but I guess Google figured out how to detect its presence. I downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware, which will cause Knox to reset but it also factory resets the tablet. I will still use magisk on my new s8+ phone. I hope magisk will work more effectively to where I can use exposed and its modules. After jellybean, magisk wasn't able to allow exposed to be used because of the way Android sets up its environment to execute apps. Hopefully soon a work around will be accomplished especially since Oreo is coming to my two devices by the end of the year, I guess if not sooner. :D

Sorry, once knox is tripped there is no going back. However, installing Magisk fools the phone into thinking knox is still untriggerred (0x0). By reflashing the original firmware, what you did is restore the "boot" partition that was modified by magisk. By doing that, your phone should get back its "official status", allowing OTA. However, Knox will stay tripped. Anyway, Knox does little... and is only used by samsung softwares.

Last edited:

gghose

Jul 22, 2010
Minneapolis
There is nothing that we can do about it because Samsung Pay checks the tripped status on kernel level so it's impossible.

Does this apply for non-Samsung phones? I understand that Knox has a tripped flag, but on a non-Samsung phone, what exactly is "tripped"? As with everyone else, I'm pretty frustrated that I still can't use Samsung pay, even on a phone that passes safety checks and has MagiskHide.

Yeti47

Nov 21, 2013
www.facebook.com
Does this apply for non-Samsung phones? I understand that Knox has a tripped flag, but on a non-Samsung phone, what exactly is "tripped"? As with everyone else, I'm pretty frustrated that I still can't use Samsung pay, even on a phone that passes safety checks and has MagiskHide.
Works for me on a Samsung phone, after hide I just had to rename all busybox exe's.

dcbii

Sep 18, 2017
Doesn't work for me on a OnePlus 3T, OOS 4.1.7, rooted with Magisk 14.0. This stopped working after the Samsung Pay (Gear version) was updated right around August 21st. Maybe I'm just missing one or more binaries or apps that still must be hidden. I don't have any busybox apps installed, though I previously did, and I removed the busybox binaries where I knew to find them. Maybe it's detecting Magisk's su install, or some other binary I still need to remove. SafetyNet passes just fine, and I can use AndroidPay and CapitalOneWallet on the phone, but I can't use the SPay tab in the Gear app without getting the "rooted phone" message.

menkent

Aug 16, 2017
Magisk hide 14

Hi Yeti47: I have a samsung galaxy s8 sm-g950f. It is rooted wit renovate ice and magisk 14. What modules I have to check in magisk hide to make samsung pay working? Please answer me in menkent33@gmail.com. Thank you so much. Bye.

schmaltzy

Jun 28, 2010
Finally solved it. Busybox can be installed in /data/local, apart from /system/xbin or /system/bin. Samsung Pay will find it there. After I removed it, I was able to get Samsung Pay (Gear Version) working again on my OnePlus 3T.

Root explorer won't let me remove it from xbin. How exactly did you do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @coolhandz I saw your post in the MagiskHide Props Config thread. Answering here as well...

I have a bunch of logs from @Orka82 as well, and when Magisk development goes into a more stable phase I'm gonna see about figuring things out with @topjohnwu.

Meanwhile, this is the thread for you guys to try figuring out what it is that is triggering Pay.
    For anyone that wants to get Spay working via Samsung watch using a magisk rooted phone, uninstall the Samsung pay add on. Then install this apk: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...g-pay-for-gear-1-7-3006-android-apk-download/

Don't open it directly from the install screen!
    Go into magisk hide, nowbfind and add any Samsung watch related apps to be hidden from root.

Now open Samsung pay from the gear app and follow rhe prompts, everything except update of course ?

These are the steps I just took to get everything working on my rooted oneplus 6t and galaxy watch.

**Thanks to my370z for testing. Was able to continue using spay after updating the watch firmware and Spay version. Just be sure to install the older apk, get it working, then update afterwards.***
    Finally solved it. Busybox can be installed in /data/local, apart from /system/xbin or /system/bin. Samsung Pay will find it there. After I removed it, I was able to get Samsung Pay (Gear Version) working again on my OnePlus 3T.
    The socket obfuscation in the new beta is pretty much a direct result of this thread, so it's nice to hear that it works. :good:
    A nugget of goodness... Install the Canary Magisk build, hide/repackage Magisk Manager (via the menu option), reboot, Magisk Hide Spay, Enjoy!

Pixel 2 XL, September security (Android 9)