Samsung S10 + bootloop ERASE FAIL: READ ONLY

Search This thread

snakebite3

Apr 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Samsung S10 + SM-F975F/DS IMEI stating Taiwan (Update: Very contradicting information if the phone is Snapdragon OR Exynos) if it even matters to solve the issue I dont know
Owner of the above since 2019 without issues; USB debugging mode activated in 2019 and never changed since then.
Samsung always updated which I assume the UI 3 Android got updated in January of my vague memory/recollection (honestly never paid attention of what is being updated, only that the phone needs to be on charge while doing ANY update)

Issue: phone in constant bootloop every 4 minutes with top message in red color "ERASE FAIL: READ ONLY" see photo attached

Cause: happened 4 days ago: Watched video stream on chrome browser; phone froze and applied a 10sec. power shut off (never had to do that before, 1st time)

Investigation:

I tried (found out by doing so) to interrupt the bootloop with pressing Power button and same time Volume Down Button in order to restart it and follow the following commands found on the internet as per UI 3 update:

Recovery Mode as followed does nothing:
  1. Hold the Power button of your device till the power menu pops up and select Power Off. = does not apply as in bootloop
  2. Wait for your device to turn off completely. = it does never turn off completely UNLESS I press Power button and same time Volume Down Button und plug into USB C Data cable of which the charging circle with the lightening strike appears without any percentage % of which photo is attached (phone charge can keep up with its bootloop in order to avoid battery drainage as there is no % indication)
  3. Plug-in a USB-C data cable connected to your PC or USB-C earphones in your device. = I start from here whenever the phone restarts every 4 minutes or whenever I do it manually by pressing the buttons as I described in point 2.
  4. Now, check if your device has a Bixby Button (Such as Galaxy S10/Note10):
    • Without Bixby Button: Press Volume Up + Power Button for a few seconds.
    • With Bixby Button: Press Volume Up + Bixby Button + Power Button for a few seconds
  5. After the above steps, you will boot into Recovery mode.
Download Mode as followed does nothing: IT DOES WORK NOW you need to be very fast before the phone starts (recovery mode does not work)
  1. Make sure you have a USB cable connected to the computer
  2. Then press and hold the Volume Down and Bixby buttons at the same time
  3. Continue holding these two buttons down while you insert the USB cable that is connected to the PC

Recovery Mode before update instructions as followed does nothing:

Step 1: Start by turning off your Galaxy S10.
Step 2: After it’s powered down, press and hold Volume Up button and Bixby button (this is the button underneath the volume buttons in case you didn’t know).
Step 3: Without letting go of the Volume Up and Bixby buttons, press and hold the Power button.
Step 4: As soon as your device turns on, let go of the Power button.
Step 5: After you see a blue screen, let go of the remaining two buttons. Now you are in Recovery mode.

Download Mode before update instructions as followed does nothing:

Step 1: Turn off your Galaxy S10.
Step 2: When it’s turned off, press and hold the Volume Down button and Bixby button.
Step 3: Without letting go of the two buttons, press and hold the Power button.
Step 4: You will get into Download Mode.

Have tried all the above methods several times the past 4 days.
Have drained the battery in terms of keeping the phone in bootloop resulting in no power.
Unhooked the battery by means of removing the rear panel and unhooking the battery cable for more then 15minutes and repeat the 4 different methods
Unhooked the mainboard from various connections and put together and repeat the 4 different methods
No indications in Windows 10 Device manager

Questions, doubts and thoughts:

Is it possible in this state to access with ADB of a professional in order to perhaps clear the cache, resolve the issue without having access to recovery mode?

Should I simply try to purchase a new battery even though I never had any battery issues?

I am aware that a motherboard change will resolve it to the cheapest way possible but as I like to save the data such as different accounts this is not an option besides the phone is physically in good condition (never went under water or dropped). maybe to unsolder the flash memory onto a new mainboard as recovery mode might be part of the processor where the RAM is saved.

Any way to drain the entire phone further which may resolve the issue without loosing data. Similar in removing a CMOS battery on a PC mainboard and using a jumper.

Willing to pay and currently living in Europe.

UPDATE: Odin firmware performed by skilled professional member of xda forum, but still not working. EMMC issue which needs to be addressed with ISP in order to fix the issue. unfortunately I was told by local professionals that they do not have the tools for it. Therefor I wonder if someone knows someone who knows someone who can be of help. Location is Spain but Europe would also work.
UPDATE2: Got the phone back from technician who has experience with ISP but still same Error remains as to his conclusion that this is not an Exynos phone of which he has not the hardware tool to fix it and probably no one in Europe will have it.

Thank you very much in advance

Attachments

• WIN_20210409_20_12_45_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210409_20_12_45_Pro.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 385
  • WIN_20210411_13_53_17_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210411_13_53_17_Pro.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

snakebite3

Apr 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10+
According to technician its Qualcomm Snapdragon which can only be fixed with the right tools. Not in europe.
I been getting different information and do require some expertise if someone can please help me

Last edited:

bbiswas06

Jun 3, 2021
I also Own Samsung S10+.
its showing the same thing.
tried Flashing Via Odin it failed.
Tried to enter Recovery Mode but also failed to enter recovery mode.

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_163903.jpg
    IMG_20210603_163903.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 204
Reactions: snakebite3

snakebite3

Apr 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10+
OMG. I thought I was the only one in the world. I sent it yesterday to a data recovery technician to see what they will do since according to some insider in order to recover the data they would have to access the phone and fix the boot of which the problem get solved itself since they can not remove the memory chip itself as it would get ruined. They will diagnose the problem first before they do anything. Obviously a mainboard change would be the easiest but thats not an option.

Was your phone also updated to UI Android 3.0?
How did it happen if I may ask?
I wont give up since my phone is physically totally fine.

snakebite3

Apr 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Update from a data recovery company its communication:

What we tried to do in order to recover your device's data was to load through the phone's bootloader (in Download Mode) a software agent that allows us (in some cases) to transfer the data stored in the data partition. This software agent has been developed by us together with some of our partners and as we are sure you will understand we cannot give you more details about what this particular software does or how it does it, since this information is covered by professional and business secrecy.

In this case the phone's firmware was damaged to a degree that made it impossible for the information to be accessed with this software.

At this moment, we doubt the data could be recovered by any software available now in the market. That's our opinion, but you can of course send it to other companies to see if they can recover it.

Since I am not the only one anymore with the same issue I recommend for people to come forward in order to get help

LinhBT

Apr 21, 2020
VietNam
Xiaomi Mi 5X
Redmi K20 Pro
Need to know exactly if it's Snap or not. If it is, then there're 2 options you can try.
1. Ask some one have the same device model as you, do a ROM dump ( you can google for more detail ). Once you got that, I can share with you the tool needed for restore your device from that dump.
2. Try find your device's Factory Images ( similar to Fastboot ROM, but a little different ), and an authenticated prog of your SoC ( this I can share too if you choose this option ) then boot your device into EDL mode by using fastboot2EDL script ( on Git, you can google too ) then use QFIL ( one tool in QPST Tools by Qualcomm ) and force flash the images into the device.

So far as my experience and understanding, there're only these 2 solutions to fix your device ( if it's Snap powered ).

Reactions: Ziona

AndroidDevZ

Jun 7, 2020
Need to know exactly if it's Snap or not. If it is, then there're 2 options you can try.
1. Ask some one have the same device model as you, do a ROM dump ( you can google for more detail ). Once you got that, I can share with you the tool needed for restore your device from that dump.
2. Try find your device's Factory Images ( similar to Fastboot ROM, but a little different ), and an authenticated prog of your SoC ( this I can share too if you choose this option ) then boot your device into EDL mode by using fastboot2EDL script ( on Git, you can google too ) then use QFIL ( one tool in QPST Tools by Qualcomm ) and force flash the images into the device.

So far as my experience and understanding, there're only these 2 solutions to fix your device ( if it's Snap powered ).
Hi mate, My phone is Snapdragon powered..
My problem is almost similar.. But not exactly.. After almost 2 months I am not able to find a solution.. But after this period of researching and googling about things related to my problem.. I feel now, either any one of the following is the cause of problem:
1. Emmc is stuck or locked in read-only mode `(Can move files from pc , delete already present files anywhere in any directory, but all changes vanish after reboot... all file and directory structure remain intact- moved files from pc gets deleted.. and deleted files which were already present come back after reboot )
2. Corrupted /data and /cache partition, as e2fsck in twrp terminal results shows "filesystem still has errors" and "e2fsck: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/block/mmcblk0p** ) in both these file system (I think they are preventing flashing procedures- Odin stock firmware flashes and twrp custom ROM flashes both are successful, but after reboot no changes can be seen... - Even Recovery.img and boot.img flashes don't seem to work even both are shown successfully flashed in twrp) After reboot current version twrp boots again instead of newly flashed different version recovery.img ... same with boot.img even after running magisk uninstaller zip files.. running uninstall.zip 2nd or 3rd time also shows magisk patched image detected in log which should be removed in 1st iteration itself..
3. Might be magisk is preventing these changes to be made.. or It might be the /System_root creation as mountpoint for system partition which used to be previously /system normally. This might be the superblock creation which not used to be there

My Samsung's twrp and Download Mode seems to be working but no changes made by them even after successful operations by both.

Can you suggest anything? You can look my thread as to get even more detailed overview of what's happening and whatever I'have tried here - https://xdaforums.com/t/q-help-odin...t-not-changing-anything-after-reboot.4462639/

You can see my attachments in my above thread to see my directory structure of system_root and my download mode pictures and odin system ROM flash pictures.

Reactions: snakebite3

jrdef

Mar 23, 2023
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

any tips here?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also Own Samsung S10+.
    its showing the same thing.
    tried Flashing Via Odin it failed.
    Tried to enter Recovery Mode but also failed to enter recovery mode.

Hi mate, My phone is Snapdragon powered..
    My problem is almost similar.. But not exactly.. After almost 2 months I am not able to find a solution.. But after this period of researching and googling about things related to my problem.. I feel now, either any one of the following is the cause of problem:
    1. Emmc is stuck or locked in read-only mode `(Can move files from pc , delete already present files anywhere in any directory, but all changes vanish after reboot... all file and directory structure remain intact- moved files from pc gets deleted.. and deleted files which were already present come back after reboot )
    2. Corrupted /data and /cache partition, as e2fsck in twrp terminal results shows "filesystem still has errors" and "e2fsck: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/block/mmcblk0p** ) in both these file system (I think they are preventing flashing procedures- Odin stock firmware flashes and twrp custom ROM flashes both are successful, but after reboot no changes can be seen... - Even Recovery.img and boot.img flashes don't seem to work even both are shown successfully flashed in twrp) After reboot current version twrp boots again instead of newly flashed different version recovery.img ... same with boot.img even after running magisk uninstaller zip files.. running uninstall.zip 2nd or 3rd time also shows magisk patched image detected in log which should be removed in 1st iteration itself..
    3. Might be magisk is preventing these changes to be made.. or It might be the /System_root creation as mountpoint for system partition which used to be previously /system normally. This might be the superblock creation which not used to be there

My Samsung's twrp and Download Mode seems to be working but no changes made by them even after successful operations by both.

Can you suggest anything? You can look my thread as to get even more detailed overview of what's happening and whatever I'have tried here - https://xdaforums.com/t/q-help-odin...t-not-changing-anything-after-reboot.4462639/

You can see my attachments in my above thread to see my directory structure of system_root and my download mode pictures and odin system ROM flash pictures.