Samsung S7 Edge Pink Line - Reason and Solution

Search This thread

davecotefilm

May 11, 2014
Vancouver
davecote.com
Hi guys and gals, so I have determined the cause and solution in some cases of pink screen line.

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR FURTHER DAMAGE YOU CAUSE BY TRYING THIS! THIS IS MEANT AS A LAST RESORT BEFORE REPLACING THE ENTIRE SCREEN/DIGITIZER!

Problem :

Problem is with the flex ribbon cable that attaches to the screen. I had the pink line and had smashed my screen, so I ordered a new one and replaced it.

Cause:

The high heat of our device melts the glue that attaches the ribbon. I learned that because after speed testing kernels on the device with the new screen, the line eventually reappeared.

Solution:

Heat can also fix the problem, if it hasn't gotten too bad. If you can find the pressure or position where the pink line goes away, use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the area at the top right of the screen, usually at the selfie camera. Heat from above so you're heating the screen and the top of the device. Once it's hot, but not too hot (yes frustrating but only do this as a last resort before buying a replacement screen), then allow to cool naturally back to room temp. If the line was absent the whole time heating and cooling, there's a chance you've fixed it.

DANGEROUS LAST RESORT:

THIS IS 90% CERTAIN TO CRACK YOUR SCREEN! Now, if this didn't work, and you're Very adventurous, you can search Google for s7 edge ifixit, and see how you can CAREFULLY heat the glue around the whole screen. Don't remove the screen, as it WILL break! But perhaps you can get a pick or card into the top just enough to see the flex ribbon, use same pick or card to lightly press the ribbon as you heat and cool as per above instructions.

Last edited:

RufleX

Oct 9, 2014
Someone tested it ? Some video tutorial could be really helpfully to repair this. What temperature should i go ? I think the best option will be to use a hot air soldering station but i need more info.

Best regards RufleX

AllSmokeEm

Jun 24, 2017
Someone tested it ? Some video tutorial could be really helpfully to repair this. What temperature should i go ? I think the best option will be to use a hot air soldering station but i need more info.

Best regards RufleX

Hello.

I work allot with prints directly. Scripting flashing repairing and debug in field. So I can asure you on a fact this will work.

The only part I'm questioning is the fact if they did use glue for a flat cable. Since logic wise for differemt prints ypu use a lock way cheaper and easier to replace parts.

If they dis use glue this fix will only be a temporary one. Since the glue will spread more and more. Each time you will do it this way.

So like I said. What the best man said is true. It will work. Only if it is glue. It might be possible it will only work for like 3 months or so. Depends on the ammount of glue and connector type they use. Can't say anything about that part. Only reason I reply because no one else did since u asked this question.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Yesterday was a really hot day (well for England) and part way through, I noticed a very thin pink line appear. The phone was hot but not entirely my fault.

Anyway, it disappeared a few minutes later and hasn't returned. Slightly worrying though.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Back today. Pressing hard on the top right actually makes it thicker. Gone again as I type this message.

Is it covered by warranty?

Pokalotapus

Aug 9, 2016
Hi guys and gals, so I have determined the cause and solution in some cases of pink screen line.

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR FURTHER DAMAGE YOU CAUSE BY TRYING THIS! THIS IS MEANT AS A LAST RESORT BEFORE REPLACING THE ENTIRE SCREEN/DIGITIZER!

Problem :

Problem is with the flex ribbon cable that attaches to the screen. I had the pink line and had smashed my screen, so I ordered a new one and replaced it.

Cause:

The high heat of our device melts the glue that attaches the ribbon. I learned that because after speed testing kernels on the device with the new screen, the line eventually reappeared.

Solution:

Heat can also fix the problem, if it hasn't gotten too bad. If you can find the pressure or position where the pink line goes away, use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the area at the top right of the screen, usually at the selfie camera. Heat from above so you're heating the screen and the top of the device. Once it's hot, but not too hot (yes frustrating but only do this as a last resort before buying a replacement screen), then allow to cool naturally back to room temp. If the line was absent the whole time heating and cooling, there's a chance you've fixed it.

DANGEROUS LAST RESORT:

THIS IS 90% CERTAIN TO CRACK YOUR SCREEN! Now, if this didn't work, and you're Very adventurous, you can search Google for s7 edge ifixit, and see how you can CAREFULLY heat the glue around the whole screen. Don't remove the screen, as it WILL break! But perhaps you can get a pick or card into the top just enough to see the flex ribbon, use same pick or card to lightly press the ribbon as you heat and cool as per above instructions.

Ill go with the first guys suggestion. As i ve done this before with many electrical products. I will not go sticking objects into my waterproof phone.

shawsky

May 13, 2011
I had this issue repaired under warranty. What surprised me from the beginning of owning this phone was just how hot it would get when the screen was on, firmware updates and so on. Sometimes almost too hot to touch. Since the repair it only ever gets mildly warm. I didn't get a repair sheet when the phone came back but I wonder if it was just the screen that was replaced or whether the screens have been redesigned?

Reactions: danuthaiduc

redbandman

Feb 15, 2017
I picked up a used s7 edge with a cracked back glass. It is now showing this pink line issue. I started to notice it after it had been in my front pocket. I know it did not get hot in there ( sure would have noticed it there ), but it was definitely put under pressure when I would sit. Most of the time the line would go away by turning the screen on and off a few times and would stay gone until I carried it in my pocket again. The other day it came up and would not go away. I finally downloaded LCD-Test and swiped through the RGB screens a couple times and it went away and hasn't returned. On doing some experimentation I found that by pressing near the front camera I could create the issue but it would go away when removing the pressure. Confirming that it is indeed a physical issue that seems to latch on if pressure is applied for enough time. I have a new back glass coming and am wondering if the heat I will apply in removing the glass will help with this issue. " Will post result when completed " I am also looking in to a case that will take the stress off the top corner of the phone when it is in my pocket. Any Ideas ?

Carlos_XP

Mar 20, 2011
Pink Line Issue

Hi everyone, I have a question about pink like issue on S7 edge.

I've been living with the pink line since early this year, recently the line is getting too thick I couldn't bear with it anymore, so I decided to get it changed.

The question is, I've read threads that says the pink line appears are because of design flaw. So if I replaced the screen (which costs a bomb) will that appear again after a year of use?

Side note, my pink link appears about a year after I bought this.

Any owner who suffer also from pink line issue, are you still facing same issue after screen is replaced?

Thanks for your time.

Carlos

redbandman

Feb 15, 2017
Here's a new observance of the pink line issue. After a day with no problems hanging around the house. Yesterday morning I went out into below freezing temps. Pink line came up almost immediately. ( Something in top of phone changing due to temp ? ) Upon getting home got it to reset and left it inside the rest of yesterday and all of today. ( No pink line ) interesting.

crash_194

Mar 27, 2008
Here's a new observance of the pink line issue. After a day with no problems hanging around the house. Yesterday morning I went out into below freezing temps. Pink line came up almost immediately. ( Something in top of phone changing due to temp ? ) Upon getting home got it to reset and left it inside the rest of yesterday and all of today. ( No pink line ) interesting.

How old is your phone please just out of interest?

9vs

Jan 14, 2016
1. Try the flashing colour solutions
2. Try some pressure at Samsung logo
3. Try to get warranty fix by Samsung if your phone isn't damaged
4. Here is a video on how I permanently fixed mine :good:
youtube.com/watch?v=dacCTRU6snY

alehawk

Nov 9, 2010
Thank you man, I replaced the screen and after a fex months the line appeared, it dissapeared whan I pressed or lifted the screen a bit so, for me, was easy to lift it a it than heating and glueing because that part off the screen didnt have glue.
Tnx for your post I fixed the line.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Problem :

Cause:

Solution:

DANGEROUS LAST RESORT:

1. Try the flashing colour solutions
    2. Try some pressure at Samsung logo
    3. Try to get warranty fix by Samsung if your phone isn't damaged
    4. Here is a video on how I permanently fixed mine :good:
    youtube.com/watch?v=dacCTRU6snY
    That is exactly the reason I did not try to remove the LCD assy it's impossible to take it off even with a hotplate just the slightest bend and the paper thin lcd cracks. The end. Samsung should be sued. This unit was not dropped and not a scratch on it. It has March 2018 I. The about screen yet I contacted Samsung about replacing it because it's a manufacture defect and they will fix it for 250 dollars free. .so the fix is free they just charge 250 shipping and handling. SCAMMERS
    IT'S PLAIN TO SEE. It's a manufacture defect in a series of LCDs made and uses on 1000s of new s7 edge phones. The glue thing has nothing to do with it. It's the ribbon cables have a defect when made in the exact same spots. That is why all the pink line phones that get hot cause that section of ribbon to move and separate from the connector made on it away from it's connection that plugs in the back of the mother board. This explains why the pink line positions are all in the exact same place on the right side a half inch or so of the display they should replace the defect and we should get a class action law suit against them for selling a know defective screen that is basically a time bomb that will destroy your phone eventually with that part in it.

That's the problem of curved screens. I asked a guy who works as a licensed Samsung repairman and the said it's a manufacturers flaw meaning the glue holding the ribbon and the thin panel itself overtime bends, moves (heat, wear) and the damn line appears which is sooo annoying. They should be sued. It's a constant problem since the S6 edge. The s8, s9 - all have it. It sucks really. The AMOLED panel itself is too much for replacement. And I believe they would say (in the shop) you dropped it, your fault
    It would've been awesome if there was a video tutorial.
    I had this issue repaired under warranty. What surprised me from the beginning of owning this phone was just how hot it would get when the screen was on, firmware updates and so on. Sometimes almost too hot to touch. Since the repair it only ever gets mildly warm. I didn't get a repair sheet when the phone came back but I wonder if it was just the screen that was replaced or whether the screens have been redesigned?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone