• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Samsung S9+ display has blurred, whiter color after latest october 2020 update!

Search This thread

ivica122

Dec 17, 2012
9180.38km from Tokio
Also i read yesterday some guy said that after last patch he don't have screen problem anymore. I don't believe it but i just now received the latest system patch, it says February 1st, i will disable OLED saver and try, i really doubt that problem is fixed but hope exist, will write here if it is or not.

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
Also i read yesterday some guy said that after last patch he don't have screen problem anymore. I don't believe it but i just now received the latest system patch, it says February 1st, i will disable OLED saver and try, i really doubt that problem is fixed but hope exist, will write here if it is or not.
OK, waiting for your reply about, I have also the latest 2021 February 01 security patch which NOT fix this rather :(

ivica122

Dec 17, 2012
9180.38km from Tokio
Ok, it's been 3 days since my system update (February 1st patch) and since i turned off OLED saver app and my screen is just fine so far, no yellow and no blur, but i'm still not convinced that update fixed the problem, since this was not happening to my screen all the time, usually just when battery is very low, 5% and less and battery saving kick in, but i read on net that people experience problems also if they use automatic brightness and also when they turn off AOD, so just because of that i am using automatic brightness and i'm not using AOD :) so let's give it a few more days, i'll report again.

After update i turned off my phone, went to recovery and wiped cache partition and rebooted my phone, that's it, didn't do anything else.

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
Ok, it's been 3 days since my system update (February 1st patch) and since i turned off OLED saver app and my screen is just fine so far, no yellow and no blur, but i'm still not convinced that update fixed the problem, since this was not happening to my screen all the time, usually just when battery is very low, 5% and less and battery saving kick in, but i read on net that people experience problems also if they use automatic brightness and also when they turn off AOD, so just because of that i am using automatic brightness and i'm not using AOD :) so let's give it a few more days, i'll report again.

After update i turned off my phone, went to recovery and wiped cache partition and rebooted my phone, that's it, didn't do anything else.
Hi, thank you for your update on this. Factory reset I haven't done yet, but wipe cache partition and repair apps already done, but no better colour at all, all the same.
Btw, I have the same security patch from February 1st as you.
I will try someday the factory reset, who knows...

ivica122

Dec 17, 2012
9180.38km from Tokio
After a whole week my screen is still working normal. Not once become yellow or blur. I didn't expect this really, but now i'm starting to think that my phone is fixed with the last update. I will not bother anyone anymore with this but if problem returns i will write that here.

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
After a whole week my screen is still working normal. Not once become yellow or blur. I didn't expect this really, but now i'm starting to think that my phone is fixed with the last update. I will not bother anyone anymore with this but if problem returns i will write that here.
Thank you for your update, good for you, mine is the same....btw, you're not using at all AOD, only automatic brightness, right? I made a wipe cache partition now, but still blur, whiter display colour for me....your Screen mode is set to Adaptive display and your white balance is in the middle? Also my RGB colours are at maximum...so really I don't know what could I set more here.

ivica122

Dec 17, 2012
9180.38km from Tokio
I'm sorry, i forgot to answer, i reset the phone and just clear cache partition then turn of AOD and kept adaptive screen light, i touched nothing else, so all other options are default. S o yes, screen mode is Adaptive, resolution FHD+, white balance in the middle.

And since February 12 i didn't see once blur or yellow screen, and i'm still afraid it's not :) but so far so good.

Reactions: adrianonimus

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
I'm sorry, i forgot to answer, i reset the phone and just clear cache partition then turn of AOD and kept adaptive screen light, i touched nothing else, so all other options are default. S o yes, screen mode is Adaptive, resolution FHD+, white balance in the middle.

And since February 12 i didn't see once blur or yellow screen, and i'm still afraid it's not :) but so far so good.
I didn't made a factory reset, but hopefully I will this month, I will let you know about....thx for reply, take care!

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
I didn't made a factory reset, but hopefully I will this month, I will let you know about....thx for reply, take care!
What was the exactly process when you made the factory reset? I mean first backup, factory reset, wipe cache partition? or first backup, wipe cache partition and factory reset? maybe it matters, I'm not sure but if....me too I use adaptive screen light and FHD+, so now is time to try the factory reset this weekend.

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
Hey! I have done a factory reset after wipe cache partition also but my display is still blur/whiter....so this did not resolved my problem, I use the AOD always to have my display colour normal, but I have to wait 3 seconds until the AOD appear on my locked display, after that is OK...but if I have to unlock my phone before the AOD appears, then my display will be blurred/whiter....that's it....I will sell it hopefully....if not then it will be my second phone.

ivica122

Dec 17, 2012
9180.38km from Tokio
Sorry to hear that, i'm really no expert, just told my experience, my phone is working normal, never seen again yellow and blurry screen. I am really surprised that firmware update fixed it but it is. I actually changed the phone but that s9+ is now my daughter's phone and it will be hers for some time but so far she didn't have any problems.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Hi Blackhawk! Thx for the info, but this is about S9+ display issue rather...I cannot find a good solution for this, only the AOD on is OK for this out of that damned 3 second period until the AOD is on....

I hear you. What I'm saying is I don't have high hopes of a good outcome with Q or above especially with older models, my 10+ included.
You have more flexibility with Pie and valuble diagnostic tools like Karma Firewall's logging feature are fully functional. No scope storage to suck up cpu cycles and so on.

Samsung will hopefully get a patch out for your issue soon. If you're liking Q otherwise that takes the solution out of your hands.
Flashing back to the last Pie version is what I would do.
As for AOD it can be a little mischievous even on Pie🤣

Reactions: adrianonimus

Anustup

Nov 8, 2015
Same issue occurred with me today. Screen started flickering at very low brightness (not even visible). Somehow managed to find the brightness bar and yanked it up to full. Display was visible but the quality was horrible and had a greenish-yellow tint. Came to know a about a lot of people with the same issue. Samsung isn't even owning it up. Any apparent solutions though?

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
Same issue occurred with me today. Screen started flickering at very low brightness (not even visible). Somehow managed to find the brightness bar and yanked it up to full. Display was visible but the quality was horrible and had a greenish-yellow tint. Came to know a about a lot of people with the same issue. Samsung isn't even owning it up. Any apparent solutions though?
I don't know about a good solution, you can use an app if you want, but the best resolution should be a software update which unfortunately is not coming, factory reset, wipe cache and so on didn't worked for my S9+.... so I have now an S20 FE which is good enough for me.

honiggo

Jul 1, 2021
I was having similar issues, as described at the beginning of the thread, for a long time (but my phone is the S9). The last patch killed the screen for good. Kinda like the one described by Anustup. Thank you for this solution, your experience made me try the same steps and, somehow, worked. The colors are still a bit off, I also installed OLED Saver to help, it improved a little bit, even though, the colors are not 100% yet, and, in lower brightness, it's possible to see some horizontal lines.

At least I'm able to use my phone again.

adrianonimus

Dec 11, 2012
I was having similar issues, as described at the beginning of the thread, for a long time (but my phone is the S9). The last patch killed the screen for good. Kinda like the one described by Anustup. Thank you for this solution, your experience made me try the same steps and, somehow, worked. The colors are still a bit off, I also installed OLED Saver to help, it improved a little bit, even though, the colors are not 100% yet, and, in lower brightness, it's possible to see some horizontal lines.

At least I'm able to use my phone again.
Unfortunately these solutions cannot fix the blur display at all, only it can add some brightness and colour to it, but won't fix it as a patch or software update. Sorry to say but it looks Samsung will not patch or update anymore S9+ neither, so I have upgraded to S20 FE, it's quite good, still want to upgrade to S20+ or S21+ later on. That's it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't know which is better but root is not required for downgrade, if this tutorial is true. I am downloading last android 9 update from samfrew.com and will give it a try:

Meh my Note 10+ is still running fast and very stable on Pie. Zero security issues... for now.
    Q is pure poison☠
    Hi Blackhawk! Thx for the info, but this is about S9+ display issue rather...I cannot find a good solution for this, only the AOD on is OK for this out of that damned 3 second period until the AOD is on....

I hear you. What I'm saying is I don't have high hopes of a good outcome with Q or above especially with older models, my 10+ included.
    You have more flexibility with Pie and valuble diagnostic tools like Karma Firewall's logging feature are fully functional. No scope storage to suck up cpu cycles and so on.

Samsung will hopefully get a patch out for your issue soon. If you're liking Q otherwise that takes the solution out of your hands.
    Flashing back to the last Pie version is what I would do.
    As for AOD it can be a little mischievous even on Pie🤣