• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Samsung sg4 melted/burned while charging overnight

Search This thread

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
Update below:

Hey Guys,

i had a bad sleep last night, and that was actually good for once.
I woke up in the middle of night and wanted to check my phone. the screen was black and insanly hot. I took out the charger and thought it just needed to cool down. then 10 minutes later i checked the phone again, and it was still really hot. i took out the battery as well and continued to sleep. Then early morning I was scared i would miss the alarm, i inserted the battery again and wanted to attach the cover, but there was something wierd with the bottom exterior. i turned on the light and instantly woke up a 100%.
The bottom had melted and deformed and the charger tip was black.

It seems I was lucky waking up at the very right time before the device would have further heaten up and potentially caught fire...

I hope the dealer can easily replace the device as I am moving between countries. I already called samsung, but it seems the lady i was talking with was rather unwilling to help and directed me solely to the dealer...

Links below for pictures:
20130722_090257.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehgzsq6zx15zvx5/0lXdixMRl0

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Update: Samsung replaced the headset, supposedly to do further research on the issue.
im still frightened to charge it overnight, especially if you have it close to your bed at night! But anyways, im happy to have a new SGS4 in my hands!

Last edited:

Radukk

Jul 25, 2010
If battery/charger was factory original that comes with the device, you can ask refund or replacement since its defective product.. most aftermarket ones are fake (even labeled as genuine) and have no overcharge protection so this might happen. I hope it is resolved well.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda premium

gilani7

Nov 25, 2012
Hows the battery

A friend of mines S4 used to overheat to a point where it was untouchable. The motherboard and battery were replaced because the battery had started overheating and expanding. How is your battery looking?

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
Radukk: it was the original charger that came with the product. So if this is the sole limitation for a return, then I should be covered. :)

I have actually been thinking about this as i recieved a terrible slow secondary charger from phonehouse. the phonehouse charger used 8 hours to charge 50%, so since then I have only used the original in case anything happened.

Gilani7: i couldnt spot any bulks or any other sign that the battery has expanded.
The battery still holds charge and I can use it normal, after 4-5 hours use it has 77% charge left. But anyhow i need a new phone as it doesnt look good and neither is it practical to charge the battery externally.

ladyhaly

Jan 2, 2011
Gapan City
Coordinate with your dealer to have your handset replaced, but at the same time do everything you can to catch Samsung's attention. E-mail them, call them again (customer service via hotlines suck, as they outsource that sort of thing to third world countries like the Philippines and India, so most representatives when it comes to serious problems like that, they will turn you away and not help you), and write to the CEO if it's necessary. Since both battery and charger are original, warranty should cover your phone.

There have been reports this July of Samsung Galaxy devices exploding and melting... The charger thing you experienced was experienced by a another woman just this month, and on the same unit. She had problems when she approached the dealer for a replacement so she filed a complaint with Samsung and they helped her get a new S4.

I hope I don't experience this... I have a tendency to leave my phone charging overnight, and I'm planning to get the S4 in two months. :S

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
i just went to the dealer (Phonehouse) it was not that pleasent. The guy behind the desk was nice enough, but he said they needed to send it in to samsung, And from his experienced this couldnt be repaired (not a big bomb) and Samsung would neither replace it. He said it was totally up to Samsung.

The stupid thing is that Im leaving Spain in 10 days and i have no time to go back and pick up the phone...
I dont think i will have the time and the resources to sue them, but if they wont replace it then u will be the first one to know. Secondly comes the press.

Im never gonna sleep "with" my samsung phone charging again...

Diamond 2 owner

Aug 18, 2010
It is not a first time with similar problems in smartphones. In this case, as there is no visible damages to the battery, I am suspecting that USB plug was not fitted in socket correctly, and electric contact was not perfect or there was some dirt on contacts (and some series resistance caused additional heat dissipated during high current charging process).

I am not saying that it is user’s fault. Not. Problem is that micro USB port (enforced by some eco bureaucrats as charging standard) design is not so great for currents up to 2A.

Samsung should put additional temp sensor chip (not only sensor alone, but supervising chip, independent from OS running fine or not, which would be able to shutdown phone) very close to the USB socket.

Safety regulators should enforce such requirements and respective certification tests. Many vendors sometimes demonstrates their scratch tests, endurance testing, super duper audio bits, camera test etc. but I never heard about advertising of safety/temperature/fire tests...

My advice to you is to take high quality high resolution photos (better then these on dropbox) of battery, charger and cable, before you ship phone to the Samsung. Just in case, to avoid to hear next month, that it is your fault because you used fake/unauthorized battery/charger/cable.

Paparasee

Apr 19, 2009
Kuwait
(customer service via hotlines suck, as they outsource that sort of thing to third world countries like the Philippines and India, so most representatives when it comes to serious problems like that, they will turn you away and not help you)
Are you saying that customer service in "first" world countries is perfect?

If those in 3rd world countries suck, and knowing that multinationals do their homework, why do you think that they still outsource? One would say they are either nuts to throw away their hard earned name or they are just trying to save a buck. Assuming it to be the latter, would it not be better to say the MNCs suck and or that they are greedy rather than accuse someone who is trying to help ... someone that MAY BE disconnected from reality as they either have no clue what's happening in the other world or have no power to sort out the problem (as in this case where the help desk guy Philippines and/ or India would have no authority to approve a replacement).

Reactions: CASz and Bradden1

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
diamond 2 owner: sadly i have sent it in already, so these are all the pics I got.
Yeah it could be as u say some dirt that had gotten in. but it doesnt seem right as i have had sgs2 for 2 years and never had any issues. and i was abusing that phone and the charger.

I thought they had a charging temp sensor on the sgs4, not only the battery. Mostly because it was such a powerful charger...

MichelN

Sep 17, 2010
i just went to the dealer (Phonehouse) it was not that pleasent. The guy behind the desk was nice enough, but he said they needed to send it in to samsung, And from his experienced this couldnt be repaired (not a big bomb) and Samsung would neither replace it. He said it was totally up to Samsung.

The stupid thing is that Im leaving Spain in 10 days and i have no time to go back and pick up the phone...
I dont think i will have the time and the resources to sue them, but if they wont replace it then u will be the first one to know. Secondly comes the press.

Im never gonna sleep "with" my samsung phone charging again...

Just put my phone behind the charger today. Room temperature was 35c but half way the charge the battery was so hot i thought it would explode. If mine will melt like that you bet i would make work of it and get it replaced by samsung, if not i will steal one from the shop and swap it with mine :p

ladyhaly

Jan 2, 2011
Gapan City

If those in 3rd world countries suck, and knowing that multinationals do their homework, why do you think that they still outsource? One would say they are either nuts to throw away their hard earned name or they are just trying to save a buck. Assuming it to be the latter, would it not be better to say the MNCs suck and or that they are greedy rather than accuse someone who is trying to help ... someone that MAY BE disconnected from reality as they either have no clue what's happening in the other world or have no power to sort out the problem (as in this case where the help desk guy Philippines and/ or India would have no authority to approve a replacement).

No, but customer service in first world countries is much better, as call center agents in first world countries are better trained. I'm from the Philippines with friends who have previously worked for call centers. They kept telling me that they were being scolded by their supervisor for having longer calls than 3 minutes, as they were trying to really help the customers resolve their problem, and unfortunately, the prepared script couldn't solve those particular customers' problems.

You immediately jumped to conclusions and raged at me. Stop it. You don't even know who I am and immediately you assumed I was discriminating. Am I supposed to say that customer service in countries like the Philippines and India is top notch when I know for myself it's not? There are a lot of factors to that, but that's not what I'm pointing out, isn't it? What are you going to accuse me of next?

If you bothered to Google my location, you'd KNOW it's from the Philippines. Who's disconnected from reality now?

Last edited:

saywhatt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 17, 2012
Land of Ooo
No, but customer service in first world countries is much better, as call center agents in first world countries are better trained. I'm from the Philippines with friends who have previously worked for call centers. They kept telling me that they were being scolded by their supervisor for having longer calls than 3 minutes, as they were trying to really help the customers resolve their problem, and unfortunately, the prepared script couldn't solve those particular customers' problems.

You immediately jumped to conclusions and raged at me. Stop it. You don't even know who I am and immediately you assumed I was discriminating. Am I supposed to say that customer service in countries like the Philippines and India is top notch when I know for myself it's not? There are a lot of factors to that, but that's not what I'm pointing out, isn't it? What are you going to accuse me of next?

If you bothered to Google my location, you'd KNOW it's from the Philippines. Who's disconnected from reality now?

I don't see why you'll generalize the entire situation to your call center friends. Do they work for Sammy? But the fact that you keep on complaining about the services our nation can bring (I know it's crappy), then why not move out?

So let us all now assume that customer hotlines suck 0:) hahahaha it is always better if you complain personally in their service centers (especially to the main offices)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

coolnessQ

Aug 8, 2012
Rotterdam
Damn i keep seeing thread about exploding and burning s4's, is this device even safe? Because mine is hot sometimes on the upper side of the phone

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

datalkingx

Sep 13, 2012
Hey Guys,

I woke up in the middle of night and wanted to check my phone. the screen was black and insanly hot. I took out the charger and thought it just needed to cool down. then 10 minutes later i checked the phone again, and it was still really hot. i took out the battery as well and continued to sleep. Then early morning I was scared i would miss the alarm, i inserted the battery again and wanted to attach the cover, but there was something wierd with the bottom exterior. i turned on the light and instantly woke up a 100%.

It seems I was lucky waking up at the very right time before the device would have further heaten up and potentially caught fire...

I hope the dealer can easily replace the device as I am moving between countries. I already called samsung, but it seems the lady i was talking with was rather unwilling to help and directed me solely to the dealer...

Hey, where about in the world are you living ?
Is it extremely hot weather over there ??
I bet this issue could be corrected by using the onboard temperature sensor to stop charging as a precaution when the phone itself is over heating and can lead to disaster like this one. Ah,.. those pics don't look too good to me ...seems like the connector is bad or something shorted over the connecting surface, did it actually plug-in quite well or was it loose ?

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
I'm living in Spain, Barcelona, the weather during the day can reach 30 degrees, but i wouldnt call it extremely hot weather, and the weather was quite pleasent during the night it burned, maybe 20 degrees in the room.
it plugged in as usual, not like the virgin-first time stiffness, but not any bending or loose contact neither, i didnt have any issues with charging connecter as i had with my previous phone.
When you say
I bet this issue could be corrected by using the onboard temperature sensor to stop charging as a precaution when the phone itself is over heating and can lead to disaster like this one.
You mean by Samsung, not by ane tweaks i should have done?

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
i would appreciate it if you had some links/threads you have found that you can send me in case I need additional proof to Samsung. Ive done some searches on google, but any additional ones would help as well. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update below:

Hey Guys,

20130722_090257.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehgzsq6zx15zvx5/0lXdixMRl0

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Update: Samsung replaced the headset, supposedly to do further research on the issue.
    im still frightened to charge it overnight, especially if you have it close to your bed at night! But anyways, im happy to have a new SGS4 in my hands!
    (customer service via hotlines suck, as they outsource that sort of thing to third world countries like the Philippines and India, so most representatives when it comes to serious problems like that, they will turn you away and not help you)

I don't see why you'll generalize the entire situation to your call center friends. Do they work for Sammy? But the fact that you keep on complaining about the services our nation can bring (I know it's crappy), then why not move out?

So let us all now assume that customer hotlines suck 0:) hahahaha it is always better if you complain personally in their service centers (especially to the main offices)

My friends, unfortunately, worked for one of the top call centers in the Philippines... I'm not going to name it, of course, as most forums disagree with naming businesses in order to avoid legal mishaps, but its reputation is very good as they have pretty high standards for candidates to become their employees. They have very good employees who will really seek to help the customers, of course, but I've been told the majority just recite their scripts and hurry the conversation to avoid being told off by the supervisor.

That is true. That's the line of thought I was going for with the OP, but just in case the Sammy office or the dealer doesn't acknowledge his warranty, best to go straight and complain to Samsung's main HQ... Or to write to the CEO. Basically, to go higher up. My friend's Galaxy S3 dropped dead a few months ago. It was still under her 1 year warranty. She called customer service, but was told her unit was not going to be replaced and that it must have been her fault. Device is all on stock, no rooting, no third party accessories, no tampering at all. She went to the main office to complain, got sent to the service center, and got her S3 repaired and returned after a week.

Back to topic though... OP's case isn't exactly new. In the "July" part of the following link I read before encountering this thread, a woman from Abu Dhabi apparently had a similar case of the USB port burning off as she charged it overnight.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-explosion-5-times-galaxy-devices-have-spontaneously-combusted-1342747

I hope my future S4 does not do this. Guess I'll try not to charge it overnight just in case. I keep my main phone beside my pillow in bed, as I use Sleep As Android to track my sleeping pattern and as an alarm. If it burns off, I don't want it to be beside my head... Or anywhere near me. It does have fast charging, right? I'm a heavy user so the battery will get consumed in about a day. *crosses fingers*
    I just bought a water damaged S4 to repair and use as an upgrade. While waiting for all my stuff to arrive I read much about melting charger ports. So when I dis-assembled mine today I made sure to inspect my port thoroughly. This is what I found and it's quite alarming. The two contacts that appear to be "burned" are not. These are NOT burn marks. Notice that the solder is all the way back on the contacts on all the lugs but two? Notice that the back half of those contacts are still copper and have not had any solder applied. Those contacts were mis-soldered from the factory and I believe this may be what is causing both the charging port melting issues and the high current required to charge these units.

The issue here is that you won't know it until your unit fails, then they will charge you $100 to repair their issue and that they were not soldered correctly is destroyed before it's found.