Samsung T380 not rooting

Search This thread

Barto604

Sep 2, 2013
Hi,

I have a SM-T380, and I tried to root it using magisk, It patched the boot.img file and I flashed it via odin, but for some odd reason when I open Magisk it says installed N/A.

I have the latest security patch (T380DXS4CUD3) (Android 9) and I already tried using the preserve AVB / preserve force encryption options.

I was wondering, there's no way to root this device on Android 9?I'm just trying out of fun since the tablet was laying around there.

any suggestions really appreciate it,

Reactions: Austcool

allanseth23

Jan 9, 2022
Waiting for someone to shed some light in to this matter. I tried all the possible procedure I found on google, but no luck. :(

allanseth23

Jan 9, 2022
Hi,

I have a SM-T380, and I tried to root it using magisk, It patched the boot.img file and I flashed it via odin, but for some odd reason when I open Magisk it says installed N/A.

I have the latest security patch (T380DXS4CUD3) (Android 9) and I already tried using the preserve AVB / preserve force encryption options.

I was wondering, there's no way to root this device on Android 9?I'm just trying out of fun since the tablet was laying around there.

If your still interested in rooting this device go to @Austcool post it worked for me.

Austcool

Nov 30, 2016
Milan
Hi,

Its Defex use my boot.img it's related to Samsungs new Defex anti root privileges security feature you must build the kernel from source; I already built Defex disabled kernel Prerooted with magisk.

Reactions: Barto604

Barto604

Sep 2, 2013
Thank you, I already installed a Custom Rom ( I think it was made by you) using the January 2020 Security Patch, I think the latest software update is also a security patch so is redundant.

My question is, is it possible that you can provide me a .zip with the original Samsung Galaxy Boot Logo animations from this tablet? the Rom has custom ones and it didn't had a backup of the originals, I need the:

bootup.qmg
bootloop.qmg
shutdown.qmg

also if you have the original PowerOn.ogg and ShutDown.ogg I would really appreciate it. Thanks for replying this old threat it really means a lot.

Austcool

Nov 30, 2016
Milan
Thank you, I already installed a Custom Rom ( I think it was made by you) using the January 2020 Security Patch, I think the latest software update is also a security patch so is redundant.

My question is, is it possible that you can provide me a .zip with the original Samsung Galaxy Boot Logo animations from this tablet? the Rom has custom ones and it didn't had a backup of the originals, I need the:

bootup.qmg
bootloop.qmg
shutdown.qmg

also if you have the original PowerOn.ogg and ShutDown.ogg I would really appreciate it. Thanks for replying this old threat it really means a lot.
Sure I'll pull them from my device on pie.

Austcool

Nov 30, 2016
Milan
Sure I'll pull them from my device on pie.

bootup.qmg
bootloop.qmg
shutdown.qmg

Was this my Oreo rom I cannot seem to find the download for it do you mind sharing the download link I was trying to grab some files from the old Oreo rom but I couldn't find it. Also I can get you the pie copys of the bootup.qmg and the bootloop.qmg shutdown.qmg but the files called PowerOn.ogg and ShutDown.ogg don't exist by default on the SM-T380 they are custom added by me you can ether add your own bootsounds files or remove them to boot without a poweron/shutdown sound.

Austcool

Nov 30, 2016
Milan
Was this my Oreo rom I cannot seem to find the download for it do you mind sharing the download link I was trying to grab some files from the old Oreo rom but I couldn't find it. Also I can get you the pie copys of the bootup.qmg and the bootloop.qmg shutdown.qmg but the files called PowerOn.ogg and ShutDown.ogg don't exist by default on the SM-T380 they are custom added by me you can ether add your own bootsounds files or remove them to boot without a poweron/shutdown sound.

Attachments

• StockQMGs.zip
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Barto604

cliffswallow

May 21, 2019
Hi,

I want to piggyback off of this thread because I'm experiencing the same problem...if anyone can help by giving a step-by-step instruction as to what worked that would be most appreciated

allanseth23 wrote that "this worked," but what did? You follow that link and there are six files, I tried it out and the following screens which I've never seen before showed up (see attached images)

I'm not new to this and I've rooted a wide variety of devices (including using firehose/engineering mode) so I'm really having some trouble understanding why rooting this ancient device five years after its release and almost a year past it's final update is so difficult

if someone can be so kind as to write a step by step "step one, load this via odin (file attached); step two load this via twrp (file attached)" that would be great because the information for this device is scattered across tens of pages and the posts are incomplete (they mention it's for Pie but don't mention on which build they were successful) - no one has collated all of this info to say what works and it would help lots of people, not just myself

I think that's the most frustrating part, the piecemeal information from posters regarding this device--I don't think I've ever waded in an XDA thread that was this broken before (it also doesn't help that all the Tab A models are pushed together into one subforum).

To be clear I'm running the very last software update for this device (AP T380DXS4CUD3) for SM-T380, device is OEM unlocked.

I just want the version rooted, I don't need any TWRP backups that contain additional mods.

Thanks to anyone that can help

Attachments

• 20220223_190123.jpg
    20220223_190123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220223_190318.jpg
    20220223_190318.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

Garbonzo17

Oct 5, 2014
I want to piggyback off of this thread because I'm experiencing the same problem...if anyone can help by giving a step-by-step instruction as to what worked that would be most appreciated

allanseth23 wrote that "this worked," but what did? You follow that link and there are six files, I tried it out and the following screens which I've never seen before showed up (see attached images)

I'm not new to this and I've rooted a wide variety of devices (including using firehose/engineering mode) so I'm really having some trouble understanding why rooting this ancient device five years after its release and almost a year past it's final update is so difficult

if someone can be so kind as to write a step by step "step one, load this via odin (file attached); step two load this via twrp (file attached)" that would be great because the information for this device is scattered across tens of pages and the posts are incomplete (they mention it's for Pie but don't mention on which build they were successful) - no one has collated all of this info to say what works and it would help lots of people, not just myself

I think that's the most frustrating part, the piecemeal information from posters regarding this device--I don't think I've ever waded in an XDA thread that was this broken before (it also doesn't help that all the Tab A models are pushed together into one subforum).

To be clear I'm running the very last software update for this device (AP T380DXS4CUD3) for SM-T380, device is OEM unlocked.

I just want the version rooted, I don't need any TWRP backups that contain additional mods.

I am piggy backing too because you are someone recently (last week) were messing with this thing too...
I was given a SM-T380 and am trying to make it "useful"
So far I have had fine luck with both oreo and pie (using the build you mentioned T380DXS4CUD3 via twrp restore... and it is fine, but seems slower than I recalled 8.1 being...
Anyway, I have been flashing the v19.0 of magisk (and a v7.1 of magisk manager) and then flashed v21.4 (and v8.x of manager).
Anyway, if you install a newer magisk manager it will show the device as unrooted (N/A) but updating further seems like I would need to extract the boot.img from the twrp backup (which is above my head...) and patch it with newer magisk...
I am not sure that it's needed for what I will be using the tablet for.. but I haven't had luck with safetynet (using magiskhide props) so I am looking into other methods.
Anyway, I'm not sure if I sould go back to oreo 8.1 or not just because pie 9 seems sluggish in comparison..
Anyway, I am going to tinker with it in my spare time over the next few days, so if you want to connect about anything particular I am around.
-g

allanseth23

Jan 9, 2022

I root mine by just loading pie.tar from @Austcool post on odin. We have the same build no.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

If your still interested in rooting this device go to @Austcool post it worked for me.
    Hi,

Waiting for someone to shed some light in to this matter. I tried all the possible procedure I found on google, but no luck. :(
    Hi,

Its Defex use my boot.img it's related to Samsungs new Defex anti root privileges security feature you must build the kernel from source; I already built Defex disabled kernel Prerooted with magisk.

bootup.qmg
    bootloop.qmg
    shutdown.qmg